Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I successfully switched my 2 line family plan from Verizon over to T-Mobile today. I can finally tell Verizon to go gently caress themselves which is nice. It took like 2 and a half hours to actually complete the transaction but that was because the store clerk was totally clueless.

I traded in an HTC 8X (Windows 8 Phone) and a Droid Razr and received like 125 dollars credit. I picked up two iPhone 5S's and did the 0 down 24 month financing option. All I had to do was pay taxes on the phones which came to a little over 100 dollars (8.1% Las Vegas taxes). T-Mobile gave both phones temporary numbers while the old ones were transferred. This meant that we could surf the internet and call and text but none of our contacts knew who we were. After about 2 and a half hours I received a text message telling me that the number transfer was successful and my old number was active on my phone. Since then everything is working fine.

I am told that once I receive my final bill from verizon with the early termination fees listed on it, I can either mail in the paperwork they sent me home with, or scan and upload the information to the website plastered all over their ads. It can take up to 8 weeks to receive the prepaid credit card.

All in all, I am pretty happy to get out from underneath the contracts. I realize that by financing the phones, I am under similar obligations but it's nice to know that come tax rebate, I can just pay off both phones and it will not only lower my bill by 50 bucks a month, it will also allow me to walk away from the carrier if I am not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ohnoitschris posted:

Alright, so here's my family's situation: We've all got carrier-locked Galaxy S3s and are still in contract with Verizon. Can we bring them along to T-Mobile, since T-Mo is paying the ETFs? Or is there some weird requirement that we have to get new phones or something or another

When I did the T-Mobile switch from Verizon, I traded in the old phones and picked up two new Iphones from them. I had the option of purchasing the phones outright at 600 a pop or paying 25 dollars a month per phone for 24 months. Even with the additional 50 dollars in phone payments, my bill is still 30 dollars cheaper a month compared to what I was paying with Verizon. Additionally, I didn't have to pay 200 dollars down on each phone like I would with Verizon. The only money out of pocket I paid was the full tax on 1,200 dollars worth of phones which came out to just over 100 dollars. Additionally, T-Mobile paid me money for my old phones which I used to buy chargers and cases for the new ones.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Paramemetic posted:

After finding out about the ETF thing, t-mobile pretty much won my heart as it provides more than I get from Verizon for less money, and without all the contract bullshit, which has always been a thing I hate. Also the network is much more robust than last time I looked at it, which is important because I need my service to be rock solid reliable (I drive ambulances and need to be able to call and be called by dispatch).

However, I used the tool here and it tells me my number is not able to be ported. I have a Verizon phone number. The tool says a small number of numbers can't be moved usually due to not having a contract, but I don't think "all Verizon customers" would count as a "small number." Is it because I still have this number on a VZW contract, and this tool is only for online transfers?

Basically the only thing that would keep me from moving to TMobile tomorrow morning is if I would have to leave my current phone number. Even that probably won't stop me, but I'd really like it if I didn't have to go through all that.

Edit: the more I'm reading about it it seems likely that it's just because that number is still on a contract. When I go to the corporate store in person, will they be able to make this entire process suffering-free and easy for me by taking care of contacting Verizon and so on, or do I need to come up with a convoluted plan on my own for getting my ETF bill, liberating my number, getting it all transferred, and so on without any interruption in service?

Look a couple pages back and you'll see the post I made about switching from Verizon. The long and short is that T-Mobile gave me a temporary number and told me it could take up to 24 hours for my old one to transfer. I received a text message about 150 minutes after I left the T-Mobile store saying the transfer went through.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Astro7x posted:

I just received my first T-Mobile bill. So.... it's for the full month of February, and partial January. I was charged the entire month for Jump, and partial Jan for Jump, but I don't have a charge for my phone at all. Why would that be? Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want to be finding out down the road that I'll get backcharged or something.

I recently switched to T-Mobile as well. Some dude called me to ask me how everything was working out so far. In our conversation he mentioned that the 25 dollar fee for the Iphone 5S wouldn't show up on my bill until the second month. I have no idea why it's delayed a month but that's the way they told me it worked.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BIFF! posted:

So I'm thinking of changing from AT&T to T-Mobile but my wife and I still have a year left on our contracts at AT&T. I'm trying to make sure I understand T-Mobile's buyout program. They will give you a certain amount of money based off of the device you turn in to them which you can then use to pay off your existing ETF? Wouldn't it make more sense/be quicker to just sell the phones we have on my own and use that money to pay off the ETF?

T-Mobile will give you a pre paid Mastercard worth the amount that it cost you in ETFs to switch to T-Mobile. Keep in mind that they advertise 8 week turnover time. However, they have 8 weeks from when your submission is accepted. I submitted my paperwork on January 29th and it has yet to be accepted.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Just an update for anyone who is looking at the Early Termination Fee reimbursement program T-Mobile has going. I submitted my paperwork on January 30th and received verification that everything was accepted today (March 6th). The email I got said I should receive my prepaid credit card within 2 weeks.

I was concerned because the switch2tmobile website states that it can take 8 weeks from the time the application is approved. I called their help desk and got conflicting word but it looks like it really is 8 weeks from submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am not sure if there is anyone following this thread that really cares about ETF reimbursement. In case there is though, I submitted my claim on January 30th 2014. Today (March 24th) I received a check card for $390. The fine print on their website (the part about 8 weeks from approval) concerned me because it took like 5 or 6 weeks to approve my claim and never updated to show the card had been shipped. However, true to the call center's word, I received my reimbursement in less than 8 weeks from submission.