Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'm heading to Canada for a week in September and would like to have data/text services. It appears that T-Mo offers unlimited data/text where I am going. Is it a problem if I use it for one month and cancel? The prepaid SIM up there is expensive and gives you practically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Looks like T-Mobile is finally giving attention to Cincinnati and the surrounding sea of EDGE. LTE popped up in Cincinnati and my area has "unofficial" 3G. I am quite happy, I would love to ditch AT&T.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Well T-Mobile you've finally done it. My area is no longer a black hole of some LTE, then EDGE then nothing. Band 12 arrived and it is glorious ... which means boodbye AT&T.

Called AT&T last night to make sure porting out my grandparents numbers to tracfone was good to go, they at some point put me on a two year contract on one line for a device I bought second hand and brought to their network. I am really really looking forward to a carrier that wants to do things differently. Oh and not having to worry about caps .. that too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yeah honestly the issue is so overblown anymore the rants and ravings from folks are getting old. Don't like it? Turn it off. Yes, opt in would have been *better* for some but others can't manage to do much of anything on their own ... so you have this.

Otherwise, it lowers quality to 480p and you stream as much as you want on the services that have been identified. 480p on these small screens means diddly to me, just happy my wife can stream netflix all she wants now.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bartkusa posted:

According to the EFF, Binge On is just a bandwidth throttle for any and all video (plus not counting approved services against your data cap).

I'm still figuring out how much this bothers me, if at all. But it doesn't seem Net Neutral.

Yeah saw that article as well. Folks over at Reddit are obviously going nuts because this is obviously the same as ISIS murdering their entire family.

As far as net neutrality is concerned, I can't see it being an issue because there is a broad sweeping throttle of all video services and any service can "benefit" from it and become a partner. Also, users being able to disable binge on (and simply at that) is also another thing against the idea. It doesn't bother me one bit, in fact I rarely ever want HD content from YT or Netflix on my phone because I won't notice the improved quality, but sure will notice it chewing up my data.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Woodsy Owl posted:

We have two phones on T-Mobile prepaid plans, each on a $40 for 1gb 4G data plan.

I wanted to switch to the family plan where the first line is $50 for 2gb 4G data, and the second line is $30 for 2gb also , but I couldn't get any straight answers from the online chat or phone reps and was just getting the runaround and endless transfer loop.

Is this even possible, while keeping the same SIMs and numbers? Is the family plan prepaid or postpaid?

edit: I was also considering is switching to MetroPCS for their family plan where each line has 1gb of data for $25/month per line. But the store wanted to charge $25 for new SIM cards, which seems ridiculous. Any thoughts on MetroPCS?

If you use Twitter hit up their tmobileusa account. They are super helpful.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

Are these T-Mobile Tuesdays ever not going to be a complete clusterfuck?

The app worked for me this morning, but now I cannot even get it to load. People were reporting being able to use Shop Runner for free shipping on MLB.com this morning to use their $20 coupon, and now Shop Runner has disabled itself completely from MLB.com just for today.

Like... did they not expect the insane demand for free stuff?

Rarely do businesses ever think things through entirely, so this is not at all unexpected. Free stuff is great but the attraction to T-mobile for me is my $30/month bill for unlimited/unlimited/10GB.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'll be on the 10GB/line plan until they pry it from my cold dead hands. As much as John L wants to spin it, this is NOT good for most customers and is very carrier like. Blah.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

TM just texted me and said my 10GB per line grandpaed in family plan was now unlimited until 2019. Not for tethering though. I am paying 150 a month including taxes for 5 unlimited everything lines now $30 each.

This has been discussed over at Reddit's tmobile forum. Look at the notes about it and you'll see they are removing your "data stash" as well. Apparently data stash is counted against them on their books, so because you're not in a contract they are wiggling out of it. Granted unlimited until 2019 is nice, but that old data stash could be used for anything (including tethering).

It's very shady IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

My god... is that for real? I have an iPhone 6, so this seems too good to be true.

I realize the possiblity of getting stuck with a phone that can only be used on the T-Mobile network is part of it though.

It can be used on AT&T as well and hey it would be likely possible to use on Verizon if they were to sunset their CDMA network early (ha, not gonna happen but whatever).

The T-Mobile/AT&T versions simply lack the CDMA radio.