Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Kreeblah posted:

Just FYI, T-Mobile's US headquarters are in Bellevue. If there were a serious issue, the executives would probably notice and have it fixed, so coverage is pretty awesome. I'm on LTE pretty much everywhere around here, and the few areas where I drop off to HSPA+, it's still fast.

I live in Seattle and it's pretty good coverage outside. Inside buildings it's a crap shoot. Someplaces its good and other times it's low or no signal. T-Mobile just purchased a bunch of low frequency spectrum which should help with the building penetration. Otherwise I've enjoyed being on T-Mobile and so much better than Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Meldonox posted:

What do you usually use for that? The 100 minutes a month is way more than I'd ever need, but I probably ought to set something up in case of an emergency. I figured I'd probably use Skype since I pay for that for work anyway.

Personally I use Google Voice with an Obi Hai which lets me use a regular phone to call with my Google Voice number. You get the same effect using the GMail or Google Hangout calling. For on the go I just use my minutes. I hardly every talk on the phone when I'm not at home so the 100 minutes is perfect.

Using Skype is another alternative. I think you need Skype premium which is ~$3/month to receive calls

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Drevoak posted:

So I am with Sprint and I've been hating it for years. I'm thinking of jumping to Tmobile with the nerd plan. I saw that there is a deal going on with the Nexus 5. Can I actually buy the phone by itself from Tmobile or do they only sell with plans?

The monthly repayment option is only for the $50/60/70 plans. Prepaid has to bring their own device. Also, Google is selling the 16GB Nexus 5 for $350 which is $50 off of T-Mobile's sale price.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I'm on T-Mobile prepaid, specifically the unlimited dada/100 minute pan. Is there any way for me to use Google Voice? Right now I only have access to a special number to check voicemail, and when someone leaves me a message I have to use some of my minutes to retrieve them.

You can use the Google Voice app. There's also an iOS app. You can check at https://google.com/voice

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Drevoak posted:

Can anyone confirm that Google voice works with the prepaid plans? I've been googling this and I've been getting a lot of mixed answers about it.

Do you mean conditional call forwarding? Where you cellphone provider will forward to a phone number instead of sending a number to voice mail? No it doesn't work on T-Mobile prepaid because conditional call forwarding is not enabled. If someone calls your Google Voice number most of the time the call will route to your Google Voice voice mail.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Chill Penguin posted:

So I've been reading up on T-Mobile's various plans, preparing to switch from AT&T, and the $30/month nerd plan sounds pretty appealing to me. I've read some conflicting reports about the wifi calling feature, can anyone clarify? It seems like wifi calling would be a good way to avoid going over the 100 minute allotment, but I've read some reports that wifi calling still uses your minutes. Is this true? If so, is there any way around this?

Wifi calling is using your internet connection instead of T-Mobile's network but still uses your minutes. You can use a VOIP solution like Vonage, Skype, or Groove Ip to call over an internet connection without using your T-Mobile minutes. That means you are calling on a different phone number besides your T-Mobile number. People get around the number part by using Google Voice but there is a major change coming to Google Voice early May that is going to stop that from being possible.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

goninzo posted:

tldr: don't try the nerd plan by buying from apple, buy from walmart. It is the 'walmart plan'.

The problem is you are talking to people. We don't call this the "nerd plan" for nothing. Buy a prepaid nano SIM from T-Mobile for $10. When it comes in activate it. Talking to people is what makes this so difficult

EDIT: I've heard rumors that Wal-Mart has "Activation kits" which are the SIM and a T-Mobile prepaid card. However, I've never seen one

gariig fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 13, 2014

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Rye Bread posted:

Is there a phone cheaper than the Nexus 5 that is LTE capable? My wife and I are thinking about switching from VZW (currently pay $350/month between 2 plans with 2 smartphones each) and I wanted to test out service first. It would be used primarily in the Philly to NYC area, with some trips to Harrisburg, PA.

If not, I'll buy a Nexus and just give it to mom if we switch, no big deal.

You can get a Nokia 925 for $230. You also get 15 days to return the phone from Google but you might be out shipping costs back to Google.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Spectracide posted:

I want to buy a new iPhone 5s (full price upfront) and get on the nerd plan. I think I might have made a mistake though. I've already ordered a nano SIM from T-Mobile's website for $10. Now, I'm about to buy a 5s from Apple's website and see that they offer a T-Mo nano SIM for free. Would the one that Apple bundles work for activating the nerd plan? Can I return the one I bought separately?

I'm pretty sure you want the one from the web site. The one from T-Mobile is meant to be for the post paid plans ($50+) and doesn't come with an activation code. I think that was the problem with another goon and it took a long time to get it fixed. I would just forget Apple gave you one. Also, you have to register the SIM online.

EDIT: I could be totally full of poo poo and Brock Landers is right

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
It looks like T-Mobile has ended the cellular table at WiFi pricing promotion today. I was going to purchase one this week. I probably will still buy one because of the payment plan just sucks the tablet is now $100 more.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Nondescript Van posted:

If I have the nerd plan, how is roaming handled? (US Roaming only, no international). I couldn't find much on t-mobile's site about this specifically.

You roam voice and SMS but no data roaming

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Oneiros posted:

Anyone on the $30 nerd plan check out your tethering / personal hotspot. I tried using mine on a whim today and it's working (iPhone 5). No separate tethering data allotment listed on my account, it appears to just be using the normal 5GB.

I just tried it on my Nexus 5 and it works where a few months ago it asked me to put a tethering plan on my account

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

MondayHotDog posted:

What's the process for upgrading your device on a T-Mobile prepaid plan? Do I just go to a T-Mobile store and hope they have what I want? Do I buy it on my own and bring it to the store? Is there a process to do it online? Will I need a new SIM? Will I be able to keep my $30 100/unlimited/5GB dork plan?

I've never actually gotten a new phone without switching carriers before.

Buy your phone and put your SIM into it. If your SIM doesn't fit that new phone you need to purchase a new SIM and call T-Mobile to swap the SIM. You can't move your SIM over online (or at least you couldn't in January this year)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

I'm tethering on a free trial 5s, and I seem to almost always be on 4g not LTE despite being in a major corridor for the region. (405 in the Seattle area.) Is there something that is preventing the phone from jumping back from 4g to LTE? I've been downloading a 260MB file while doing my morning commute for the past 25 minutes and I'm only 136MB in. I feel that on my normal Verizon this would have finished in no more than 5-6 minutes.

EDIT: Reading is hard!

I've had times where I've dipped to 5 mbps but around Ballard I'll do 20-30 mbps. You can run Speedtest on your Verizon phone and T-Mobile phone and see what you get. When I've downloading ~30 MB podcasts it would usually take a minute or so. Most of my usage is streaming or reading SA/websites so having a high bandwidth connection is not something I notice

gariig fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 15, 2014

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
How are you getting it for 29.70? Callingmart now charges a 2% surcharge which basically has you breaking even with the points. Now it's $30.60 - .30 (calling mart points) = $30.30 (plus CC rewards). Still better than paying 10% WA sales tax

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I'm logged in and it keeps redirecting me to the t-mobile home page.

Are you on prepaid? If so I don't believe you can. I had to call when I had to swap to a different SIM

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Weaponized Cum posted:

so if I am at a 70$ a month plan and want to switch to the $30 one I would have to get a new #? :(

You can port your number to another carrier, sign up for the $30 plan, and port your number back. You can use Google Voice if you want

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I always forget does the prepaid Dork Plan qualify for free streaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Rated PG-34 posted:

I had the prepaid nerd plan, and couldn't get data when roaming on AT&T network. Is this normal? I phoned 611 and the tech couldn't do anything because it wasn't T-mobile's network.

This is normal. You only roam voice and SMS