Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Wrong.

The 5.1s like that are a big source of fires during marine transportation. Y’all don’t like Silane but 5.1s are a much bigger issue during transport.

What's 5.1 in this context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nebakenezzer posted:

What's 5.1 in this context?
Hazmat class 5 division 1: oxidizers.

Simple oxidizers like pool sanitizers, clothes bleach (or bulk Oxyclean) can be tons of fun to plan to transport.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oxidizers natural state is to want to add oxygen to things. That just so happens to be synonymous with catching fire.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

5.2 ‘s can be a bitch too. They have special requirements that are based on technical name and concentration that are in a different section of the IMDG so most people don’t bother to check em and computer stow and segregation programs miss em.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ask me about moving 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate prills a year (or don’t, it was very boring).

Except the time a truck went off the road and someone called it in to the cops as a truckload of explosives on a public road.

The nearest cop was a two hour helicopter ride away and the nearest publicly accessible road was like... two hours away by plane.

The paperwork was fun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wait then who the hell was around to call it in? :psyduck:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Someone in the truck, I'd guess.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The fuel oil mixture that gets classed 1.5 is the bigger boom stuff anyway.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The fuel oil mixture that gets classed 1.5 is the bigger boom stuff anyway.

Yeah but the circumstances under which harmless packaged AN becomes not-so-harmless are not simple and it seems unlikely that any given rando would understand the chemistry enough to intuit, and if given exact instructions it's a tossup whether they would correctly remember under duress, so wouldn't the safe-default option be to instruct everyone "unless you really know what you're dealing with, just treat it like something that wants only to murder the poo poo out of you" to minimize risk/liability and offload the tedium of sorting out the difference onto someone else?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Yeah but the circumstances under which harmless packaged AN becomes not-so-harmless are not simple and it seems unlikely that any given rando would understand the chemistry enough to intuit, and if given exact instructions it's a tossup whether they would correctly remember under duress, so wouldn't the safe-default option be to instruct everyone "unless you really know what you're dealing with, just treat it like something that wants only to murder the poo poo out of you" to minimize risk/liability and offload the tedium of sorting out the difference onto someone else?

Nah since we had a plant dedicated to mixing the ANFO and a whole protocol around moving it (hint - those trucks would report to the dispatcher as “explosives in motion”) there was no loving way there could have been explosives on that truck.

(This was a mining facility, so it’s not like explosives moving around was an unusual occurrence.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I mean I can imagine a situation where you manage to mix the components of a diesel truck loaded with AN into something potentially explosive, but it would take a lot more than just running it into a ditch.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Computer viking posted:

I mean I can imagine a situation where you manage to mix the components of a diesel truck loaded with AN into something potentially explosive, but it would take a lot more than just running it into a ditch.

Simpler than that: when introduced to the secret ingredient 'lots of fire', ammonium nitrate doesn't need to have been mixed with kerosene/diesel/vaseline/etc to explode. It won't produce an efficient high explosive with brisance to shatter steel, since poorly mixed spontaneous combinations of loosely-packed AN granules with [spilled fuel or soot or vaporized/burning plastic or wood decomposition products taking the place of the missing Fuel Oil] would be more likely to undergo explosive deflagration than supersonic detonation, but it's still bad news for anyone nearby.

And given the long history of firefighters getting owned when several/dozen tons of "non-explosive" ammonium nitrate suddenly decides to explode anyway just for fun, it becomes one of those special words in the emergency response trade.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Computer viking posted:

No that’s a thing that ships mixed like that. It’s got various military and mining uses.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I know time moves weird in covidworld but Beirut was less than a year ago. Ammonium nitrate is not something you want to underestimate, whether it's mixed with fuel oil or not.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No that’s a thing that ships mixed like that. It’s got various military and mining uses.

Yeah, I know what ANFO is - I'm just saying that I can imagine running a truck off the road (or into another truck) in a way that mixes fuel tank diesel with a cargo of originally clean ammonium nitrate in an unfortunate way. Imagine an after-explosion report that starts with a truck upside down with a ruptured tank pouring diesel into the AN cargo while a tire is on fire above it.

edit: For clarity, I'd be more worried about being struck by lightning than this happening, it's more of an "is it at all possible" thought experiment. :)

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 16:08 on May 10, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
prepper whose bunker has a moat designed to be flooded with oil and ignited to stop the zombies

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

silentsnack posted:

Simpler than that: when introduced to the secret ingredient 'lots of fire', ammonium nitrate doesn't need to have been mixed with kerosene/diesel/vaseline/etc to explode. It won't produce an efficient high explosive with brisance to shatter steel, since poorly mixed spontaneous combinations of loosely-packed AN granules with [spilled fuel or soot or vaporized/burning plastic or wood decomposition products taking the place of the missing Fuel Oil] would be more likely to undergo explosive deflagration than supersonic detonation, but it's still bad news for anyone nearby.

My favorite one was when the Soviets built a big underground tank farm to collect the raffinate from their plutonium production facilities at Mayak. They'd previously been dumping it into the river but it still had enough plutonium in it that this was considered wasteful so they built the tank farm to store it until they could recover it later. They was no segregation of any sort, it was just a common waste stream, and the common waste stream was basically a bunch of uranium and plutonium and fission products dissolved in nitric acid and various organic solvents. The tanks had to be cooled because of the decay heat, and after a few years when one of the coolant lines failed they just closed the input valve to that tank instead of fixing the line. So they basically made a big ANFO-powered dirty bomb that self-heated to the point where all the water boiled off and then eventually it just blew the gently caress up.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I wrote a paper recently about how much I hate people calling disasters 'accidents' when they occur under circumstances that we understand are likely to cause the disaster and most of my examples were about AN explosions that have been happening since the turn of the century that could have been prevented if people paid attention to what caused the last AN explosion

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You could get a discussion going in the linguistics thread on what we mean when we say "accident". :)

I'm in the camp of an accident being specifically an action you did not intended to take: Dynamiting an AN container to get the cruft out was exactly what you meant to do, so getting an unexpected outcome is not an accident, it's just bad planning.

On the other hand, tripping into the "murder everyone" button would be an accident - but having that button in the first place was probably a criminally bad design. (Early fission experiments seem to have many of these - SL-1 and the demon core experiments come to mind).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pure ammonium nitrate will explosively denature if sufficiently abused. Adding a reducing agent increases the yield, but is not neccesary if you have enough nitrate.

A few years back we had a truck carrying 50 tons of prilled ammonium nitrate catch fire. The driver sensibly legged it, the subsequent explosion took out multiple bridges.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 02:03 on May 11, 2021

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
My point is more that I understand what we mean when we say 'accident' but I hate the way it's used and if I had an appropriately tailored magic wand I would change its usage. I think 'accident' minimizes the responsibility people have for their actions and prevents us from taking steps to keep ourselves and others safe, because 'accidents just happen'. To me accident is totally appropriate for things that genuinely could not have been reasonably foreseen at the time; if your murder everyone button is unguarded or without other means of preventing its unintentional activation and at that moment in time the collective human knowledge understands that buttons can be accidentally pressed, I wouldn't call it an accident when the inevitable rules of probability causes someone to bump it by mistake. The Alaskan Airlines flight that hit a fish on its takeoff climb would totally be an accident, although nothing bad came of it.

Karen Wetterhahn's death I could call an accident because it seems like everyone genuinely underestimated the risks and safe handling practices associated with dimethylmercury. Although I think there were some concerns that people were complacent in evaluating dimethylmercury initially, we learned from that experience to prevent it from happening again. If it were to happen again I wouldn't call it an accident.

On the topic of linguistics, according to my Spanish teacher, the construction in Spanish is always that 'an accident happened to someone', regardless of what they did to contribute to the accident. Learning that was probably influential to my noticing the same construction in English

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The problem with that angle is that it requires a subjective judgement of acceptable risk and tolerable precautions - your accident may be my "we shouldn't let that system exist in the first place". Which immediately drops us into some really hot political topics. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As I see it, an accident is caused by a single‐point mistake.

If someone spaces out and runs the first stop sign on the road into town, that’s an accident. If they’re street racing and lose control, that’s not an accident.

Leaving the fuel cap off and running out of avgas: accident.

Taking off in marginal conditions for a VFR flight, following a road till it runs into the fog, then turning blind into a hillside: not an accident.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
An accident is just a really broad label and I don't see the problem with that. Anything both unexpected and unwanted is an accident. I guess the main debate is about the unexpected part but overall the value judgements happen in text and subtext far more complex than a single word can manage. But keeping it broad I also don't see the problem that once we know more about it, referring to it as a preventable or unpreventable accident.

It being a blank slate at first invocation is almost a feature to keep the human elements from clamming up before you figure out the whole story.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I wrote a paper recently about how much I hate people calling disasters 'accidents' when they occur under circumstances that we understand are likely to cause the disaster and most of my examples were about AN explosions that have been happening since the turn of the century that could have been prevented if people paid attention to what caused the last AN explosion

In the gun world people will give you poo poo if you talk about "accidental discharge" for exactly that reason: you had to break the rules to even get to the point where it's possible. Thus there are no accidental discharges, only negligent ones. It's commonly abbreviated "ND."

zedprime posted:

An accident is just a really broad label and I don't see the problem with that. Anything both unexpected and unwanted is an accident. I guess the main debate is about the unexpected part but overall the value judgements happen in text and subtext far more complex than a single word can manage. But keeping it broad I also don't see the problem that once we know more about it, referring to it as a preventable or unpreventable accident.

It being a blank slate at first invocation is almost a feature to keep the human elements from clamming up before you figure out the whole story.

This is what the word "incident" is for.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is what the word "incident" is for.
Everything is incidental including good results.

Ironically it carries enough purpose and/or fault in the connotation that I'd expect to get better results from interviews about the controlled flight into terrain accident than about the controlled flight into terrain incident.

Accident is already quickly becoming a bad word like incident anyway so I'm up for burning all the language down to get a new sugar coated word to assuage the part of people's psyche that doesn't want to be a snitch.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
A nitrogen-involved expansion incident occurred.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Nitrogen gas was formed.

I wonder if the people who do cop murder headlines have any other good ideas for adapting their works to chemistry and physics? Besides inventing the term "physics package," of course.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
A change in entropy state was precipitated

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 16:30 on May 11, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"What happened?"

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Shitter was full

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Nitrogen gas was formed.

I wonder if the people who do cop murder headlines have any other good ideas for adapting their works to chemistry and physics? Besides inventing the term "physics package," of course.

Read NTSB / AIB reports for a while.

“At which time the collision occurred”

“Fire was observed in the container”

“The aircraft could not sustain the loss of both engines”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m in this image and I don’t like it. Need to add

It was reported by” , “the evidence currently suggests”

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
PYF Dangerous Chemistry: past exonerative phrases about nitrogen

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m in this image and I don’t like it. Need to add

It was reported by” , “the evidence currently suggests”

An Interactive Guide to Ambiguous Grammar

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Part of the reason to use the passive in reports like that is to remove oneself and opinions. It’s all “we” and “the undersigned “ too. The goal is to be factual only. Opinions havers get depositions.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Part of the reason to use the passive in reports like that is to remove oneself and opinions. It’s all “we” and “the undersigned “ too. The goal is to be factual only. Opinions havers get depositions.

Or paraphrased cynically: a mental crutch to make up for lack of critical thinking skills and minimize the need for exhaustive introspection, allowing a writer to trick themselves into thinking they're viewing the topic objectively and that cognitive biases don't exist; and readers can optionally pretend that Contrived Neutral Tone isn't just an exercise in whitewashing bullshit-in-bullshit-out long enough to believe that what they're reading is factual.

An alternate use is to apply the unconscious self-deception intentionally, and sneak insane shitposts into peer-reviewed journals.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Depending on the agency and country they’re also not supposed to attribute blame.

So “the supervisor commenced the operation; soon after an explosion took place.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Explosion” sounds scary.

Can we rewrite that to “a rapid expansion of gas occurred”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gaseous products evolved from the reaction mixture