Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Chlorine trifluoride is nice but bromine pentafluoride is better. It's used for mass spectrometric analysis because it vaporizes rocks. Also when it reacts with water it created a cloud of HF gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm gonna give a simple shout-out to Piranha solution: 4 parts concentrated sulfuric acid, 1 part 20% hydrogen peroxide, served hot. It does a great job if you want to clean pretty much any organic compound off a surface, but that also included your flesh right off your bones. In my old lab I used to make the stuff daily and one drop fell on my leather lab shoes and almost ate a hole clear through them (wear closed toe shoes and aprons kiddies).

Oh yeah, also if you do something real dumb like pour ethanol in the piranha you get a big fire pretty quickly.

Bip Roberts has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jan 17, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ol qwerty bastard posted:

My high school chemistry teacher claims to have been knocked out by taking a whiff of a container of glacial acetic acid. I'm sure it would be rather unpleasant, in any case.

The Lone Badger posted:

I work with 90% acetic acid. It smells like someone shoving a 6" nail up your nostril but it won't knock you out.

Glacial acetic acid has almost no smell at all, while 90% will give you a nearly instant nosebleed if you sniff it. This can be explained by steam distillation. The vapor pressure of neat acetic acid is very low but if you add just a little bit of water it shoots up and you'll huff a ton of vinegar.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Also it's the sweetest of the transition metals.

Is mercury actually sweet tasting? I know lead is.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

There are different kinds of mercury. Some are worse than others, some are pretty benign. You use to could get mercury that you would swallow to help you poo poo. It doesn't get absorbed into your body. You just collect it after it's forced you to defaecate.

Purestrain mercury.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My dad had a bid to salvage a lighthouse back when he was in college and he said the biggest ticket item they recovered was 200 lbs of mercury that they used as bearings to float the fresnel lens.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Pretty much everyone involved in that (except the children) had to have been weapons grade retarded.

Children are pretty stupid last time I checked.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

A more recent one. I don't know if carjackers dying of radiation poisoning can be called schadenfreude.
Thieves who stole Cobalt-60 will soon be dead

Isn't that literally the plot of Repo Man?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pigdog posted:

Talk about foul smelling chemicals got me thinking: what are, on the other hand, the best smelling chemicals out there?

I don't mean something "strawberry syrup" with whatever it contains, but a single, concrete chemical compound?

Esters are a generally nice smelling moiety.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Saint Celestine posted:

This might be an appropriate question for this thread-

Whats a chemistry experiment one could perform for a class of kids with a big WOW factor, and isn't going to be dangerous?

Performing a Tollens' reaction to silver plate a beaker is a fun one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

XMNN posted:

Marine toxins often look pretty cool.

Maitotoxin

Maitototoxin is awesome because it's a total miracle of natural synthesis. It has 98 goddamn stereocenters, for one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

First year orgo students learn everything they need to make MDMA. Id imagine a PhD could make really high yield batches of it in their sleep.

What goes into making one gram of a pure product is completely different than what goes into making kilograms of a pure product. There are a lot of very non-trivial kinetic problems that arise when you scale a reaction. You can't just do what you did small but bigger and expect the same thing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

can't wait for the fire resistant strains

Polypeptides that could survive a blast furnace would be a big enough discovery that I'd be willing to deal with the superbug.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fucknag posted:

"whatever/blah alloy" is basically just science words to sound fancy; see also "transparent aluminum", etc.

Sapphire sounds even fancier.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Trifluoroacetic acid is a cool substance. It's a strong acid that you can evaporate off because it boils at 70°C. Great for organic chemistry when you need to remove a protecting group then pump off the acid. It also reacts with the moisture in air and releases a cloud of Teflon gas. It's actually not super dangerous besides it's reactivity but it's always fun opening bottles that smoke vigorously in air.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zemyla posted:

It's probably just a delivery system for the cyanide group on the side.

Nitrile groups are very non-labile, so probably not. That is also the mechanism on why they're so bad for your cytochrome c oxidase.

Bip Roberts has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Nov 3, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

You don't just dump stuff together and see what happens.

Why are you discounting 70 years of very successful work by Soviet organic chemists?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Memento posted:

What do you do if the death drum has Z as its spin axis? It could go anywhere! :supaburn:

Cup your balls and sing the dreidel song goodbye.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hey, I just need to get my car out of this bad area.

Google tells me mineral oil is a-okay for food grade stuff like re-oiling cutting boards, is there any real hazard to cooking with it?

It'll make you poo poo real good.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's weak poo poo compared to a lot of chemical manufacturing reagents. Hell you can transport that stuff as a solid and be OK. The real nasty ones are produced and consumed inline on site. Vinyl chloride, the precursor for PVC, for example generally doesn't leave a facility.

It also skeletonizes you if you override a poo poo-ton of safety features to release it into your room so you can explode a dozen of your cowokers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Imagine this in the hands of German researchers,,,

http://3dprint.com/50777/molecular-3d-printer/

:gonk:

I guess it's 3d in that mass takes up physical space.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I hope he didn't kill 3 people like the vloger dude who set the pile of boxes on fire.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The bubbling action can help piranha work too

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean it's not dangerous on the counter top, you probably don't want to hit it was an angle grinder and start doing lines.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Solvated electrons are the real dawgs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Didn't read

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I never feared the piranha solution but I did burn a hole into my leather lab shoes with a good sized drop of it once

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here I was with a coworker wirebrushing big iron oxide stain off a teflon pipe fitting and they didn't think "just drop that in some hcl" was a good solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I thought I heard that they were looking at targeted gene replacement for sickle cell disease which is the best case in terms of the simplicity of the fix, number of people and benefit.