Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

These games are very fun to play and I'm really looking forward to a swarm of minions beating the poo poo out of anyone and anything in their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Man this game has aged pretty drat well. I vaguely remember the difficulty getting quite dickish later on, but at least for now the game actually remembers that it's more about watching your goofy minions clowning around and smashing every object in sight instead of frame perfect action combat interspersed with having to run back and farm another 30 minions for the next attempt.
The only time I've had to do that was when I did something stupid that got everyone killed, and when I somehow utterly failed to figure out the pattern for the last boss (it's not actually difficult to do). :doh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have another roast pig Melvin... have two... you're a hero now.

SoylentG posted:

Hey, Overlord! My ex (very much a non-gamer) adored these games. Underneath the humor, this game has a pretty clever story with an interesting twist. I always compare the Overlord games with Brutal Legend in my head; Both are console-native RTS-hybrids, but while Brutal Legend has the better setting, Overlord has a better plot and controls.
A combination of the two games would take the word awesome to a whole new level.

Also the overlord won't jump (outside of cutscenes), that is undignified.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The overlords are definitely human (or at least very human like), as we'll get to see in the tutorial level in Overlord 2.

IAmTheRad posted:

The overlord is an actual person. His arm showed up in the first suit of armor. Sir William somehow seemed to recognize him, so it's an actual person. But there's no way that he'd recognize the new overlord, but he didn't take off the helmet so...
I'm thinking way too hard about this.
I think he just saw the standard overlord armor and got him confused with the old overlord the heroes defeated. Also he wasn't exactly in a stable state of mind.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 10, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Halflings, elves, humans, and dwarves.

What are the last three races? Is one of them dragons?

I hope it's dragons...
I won't tell you. :ssh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SovietPotatoe posted:

He blocked the way to the dwarven lands so you had to kill him in order to kill the dwarves
And the dwarves have a crap ton of gold just waiting for the long fingers of the minions to carry away.

Last Transmission posted:

Oberon parked his wooden rear end on the only passage to the dwarf lands which are now ripe for the Overlord to plunder.
And Smite kinda torched the last hope for Everlight forest. Really, anything that could be construed as being to the elves' benefit will be utterly dispelled once we're done with the dwarves in this LP.
It could be argued that burning down their stinking forest and killing their pathetic selves is also to their benefit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Which is something I don't buy because the other sin choices thus far have plainly presented themselves as two opposing options, both of which require an action on the part of the player to engage, and let you sit down and think about what you want to do.

If that was meant as the sloth choice, it was done poorly.
You mean like they didn't put a lot of energy into it? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought those switches were for the beer pipes and turning them off causes the dwarves to rush out to stop you from subjecting them to sobriety.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Normally that would still be worth it and probably even if you had to pay a few thousand gold. But I kinda like the elves in the Overlord universe and prefer if they stuck around. Besides, what good/evil is there in defeating someone if they aren't alive to be defeated? The extra humiliation of being saved by an overlord is a wonderful bonus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

Were you also a fan of Jar-Jar Binks and Scrappy Doo?
No and who? You'll see later.

paragon1 posted:

On one hand, you can murder all the elves. On the other, if you murder all the elves, then you can't murder elves anymore. The philosophical conundrums of Overlording are truly vast.
It's simple. You just have to raise a sustainable sized herd and cull it sparingly to ensure elf murder for your descendants.

OneTwentySix posted:

I can't imagine saving four elf women is exactly going to save their race, though. A few generations down the line they'd be so inbred that they'd probably miscarry most of the time.
Eh, they're elves. No one will notice if they are.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So it turns out what she wanted was what other people had. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You gotta have giant worms in the desert. Otherwise it's not a proper one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The statue would probably fit better if you just dumped it in a side cave in the basement.

I might be the only person who didn't hate the desert. :ohdear:
But that could be because I played the second game first and had tremendous difficulties with the part where you have to manually lead minions up a wall.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

Goddamn if that isn't the stupidest loving videogame plot logic ever. "I can't possibly spend time killing all these guys, but surely I can deal with the one who can! gotta write that down i'm a loving genius"

Not to mention the fact that you horribly murdered most of the population and are almost single-handedly responsible for the near-extinction of elemental ladybugs, sheep and sandwo... okay, the last one might actually justify everything else.
It's almost as if he's too prideful to notice the flaw in his plan. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, gods. Raising Hell had some fun in it, but I remember some really annoying crap too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Unrelated, is it just me or is ms Pratchett pretty much the only video game writer people ever talk about? I guess I can see why, given her parentage.
Maybe, but the Blizzard guy who is in charge of the lore, Metzen (I think), frequently comes up too. Check out the HoTS spoiler thread in the Blizzard subforum to see it yourself, it's almost dedicated to hating on him and his love for making everything corrupted. Corrupted by the corrupted and corrupting essence of the corrupted essence. With extra essence and corruption on top. Essence.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

Overlord 2 is such a step up in general it's not even funny. I'm nearly done with it, just procrastinating the grind to get the final armor/weapon upgrades for the last fight.
On the contrary, Overlord 2 is very funny. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Huh, I thought Goldo was trapped inside the statue. Turns out he is the statue? Are we bringing Goldo to our treasure hoarde in pieces? Maybe he'll finally be happy!

Nah, he'll just be melted down into weapon/armor.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, that was... kinda crappy to be honest.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This game is great. Also regardless of what anyone claims, the catapults are totally awesome. The key to figuring out the range is to count the noisy clonks when powering up. You very rarely need to go above 7 ticks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eh, the elves are a lot more fun in Overlord 2. Full of vigor and impotent anger as your minions bash, burn and stab them excessively. :)

Tupperwarez posted:

I love the Yeti's :what: face. "Seriously, hunter guy? Seriously?"
Yes that cutscene is hilarious.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dark Legends really makes Overlord 2 seem even better by comparison.

paradoxGentleman posted:

This game does a whole lot of hand-holding, doesn't it?
Well, it's a wii game. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can use magic to ignite shrubbery. Just a tap on the button should do it.

"He is an enemy to all that is fluffy and adorable."
"That's clearly an act of aggression, sire!"

I love the dialog in this game. :3:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I'm fairly sure Gnarl can't speak Gnomish at all and just made up the whole "declaring war" thing.
Nonsense, those thieving little warmongers deserve the boot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zagglezig posted:

I never thought of it while playing, or forgot if I did, but now I'm wondering what the gnome attack on the empire soldiers looked like. Granted the soldiers seemed in poor shape, but how bad do you need to be/how many gnomes are you swarmed with to be taken out like that?
There are actually dangerous gnomes, we'll see them later. :ssh:

Tathris posted:

Dark Legend sure is a thing too,
By "thing", do you mean pile of minion dung?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It would also explain why he is always hanging around the brown hive.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The elves are great in this game. Especially Florian Greenheart who really captures the essence of elfness. Burn and enslave them all. :3:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

And you people wanted to spare the elves.

Fools!
Only good things come from keeping the elves around, you'll see.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had no idea you could kill those archers up on the wall with wolves. There is always the ballista instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He is looks very sophisticated. :3:

It's easy to grind for crystals at the Nordberg sanctuary and gold is overflowing and respawning at a later spot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hahahaha, burn you gnome fuckers! You'll never steal lifeforce and crystals again. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

I'd say turning the equivalent of the North Pole into a blazing inferno would have side effects when the ice melts, plus, its a fantasy land so anything can happen!
This is also the only place that got flooded.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Raygereio posted:

In all my playthroughs I've never seen the elven boat turn around like it did in this video. After the initial ramming attempt, it always began sailing around in circles around the main island. So I just waited in front of the big gate for the drat thing to come back.
Yeah that's the best strategy. Also there's a spot right next to a shipwreck you have to blow up to circle the main island that always spawns two mermaids. So you're better off simply waiting. Personally I always select only browns when sending minions to minion the oars to make sure there's enough reds to throw fire.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The jungle is really fun, except for one part that's coming up. The reason why I never really had much problem with the paladin powered grass mower thing in the abyss (I played the second game before the first).

Zagglezig posted:

I never made the connection while playing, but watching it now, I realize that the big zapper guys are basically Not-Roman steampunk Ghostbusters.
Who you gonna call?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You didn't point out that the igloos love shacks contains an elf and a human of opposite gender.

Say what you will about the elves and their obsession with fluffy creatures but they did take in and protect the reds in their sanctuary.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not sure what the part coming up is that people hate, curious to see what it is. There was one annoying thing but it wasn't all that bad, really.
It's just one bit that can be really frustrating unless you've got good minion control. If you've played the game you know which part. On the plus side after you complete it you gain access to possibly the best spot to grind money in the game (it always pays out full unlike town chests but takes about twice as long).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've found the easiest way is to park your minions behind cover and let the boulders smash the soldiers.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

drat indeed. I never knew you could do that with the frog gates.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There is one huge problem with giving the blues mounts though (which will become apparent later on so I can't explain it until then :ssh: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

An actual attack? :v:
You phase/blink them in, gobble up a few humans/elves/gnomes/whatever and then sweep them away while digesting?

• Locked thread