Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sandata posted:

Wait this just came to me. Someone should do a Punch-Out Civ Mod. There is almost enough characters to cover the basic set of groups and country's. It's just crazy enough to work.

King Hippo:

Unique Ability: Perfect Defense? Every unit takes 1 damage from the first attack they suffer in a round, double damage from the second attack, triple damage from the third, etc.

Unique Building: Banquet Hall (replaces Granary). In addition to the standard +2 food, also gives +1 food from Bananas, Grain, and Rice.

Unique Unit: Hippo Warrior (replaces Warrior). Has access to special promotions: Manhole Cover (attacking melee units take 50% of the damage they would normally deal before Perfect Defense?) and War Shout (adjacent enemy units lose 1 movement).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Vocaloids can do English too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tarezax posted:

Vocaloids can do English too.
English ones do.
And Spanish ones can do Spanish! :v:

Neruz posted:

You know that she is one of the voice synth options for Vocaloid and thus can be made to say anything at all right?
Last I checked speech still sounds awful in Vocaloid software. Kind of part of the reason why it's song synthesis and not speech synthesis.

I mean sure it's not impossible but we just go back to my original point of production costs (costs also including time and effort), because coaxing decent to good output from Vocaloid software (especially output it wasn't designed for) can be as difficult as securing a human VA in first place.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Given that the character is literally the voice synth having her sound like said voice synth would in fact make perfect sense no?

Like, your argument would be more valid if the synth was built to emulate an unrelated character, but it's not, Miku's voice is the Vocaloid voice and yes that means that she sounds a bit wierd.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

She could just sing all her dialogue, no?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just have her responses be different Vocaloid songs relevant to the context. :downs:

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny
Her Unique Unit should be a Giant Robot with a different sound effect and several possible names and a chance of reappearing back at the capital with low low health when it's destroyed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kyte posted:

Last I checked speech still sounds awful in Vocaloid software. Kind of part of the reason why it's song synthesis and not speech synthesis.

Just give her the Zimos treatment.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

She could just sing all her dialogue, no?

This is the best option.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

Her Unique Unit should be a Giant Robot with a different sound effect and several possible names and a chance of reappearing back at the capital with low low health when it's destroyed.

Ne, MGS:PW tie in: AI PODS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhKP7FfCstE
Right at the 10 minute mark. May stumble upon spoilers if you haven't played Peace Walker, but if that's the case, it's your own drat fault, go play/watch that game.

Kyte posted:

English ones do.
And Spanish ones can do Spanish! :v:

I mean sure it's not impossible but we just go back to my original point of production costs (costs also including time and effort), because coaxing decent to good output from Vocaloid software (especially output it wasn't designed for) can be as difficult as securing a human VA in first place.

The more recent updates to the synthesizer have expanded the vocal flexibility, with both inflection and improved phonetics. It's not hard to do once you have it down; the biggest curve is the initial learning curve, and getting the software in the first place.

They also might have a net/SMS submit version(the PSP used it to some extent), which is a simplified version, but with little to no cost. Good luck navigating anything without understanding words from Japanland, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Damnit, I know the professor's voice from somewhere... That's not Steve Blum, is it?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Damnit, I know the professor's voice from somewhere... That's not Steve Blum, is it?

Sure as hell sounds like him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you think of any male character in any game, chances are pretty good it's Steve Blum on numbers alone. That or Nolan North.
Anyway, yes, it is Steve Blum.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You forgot Troy Baker.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I recognized Steve Blum as a random genome soldier in MGS: Twin Snakes because of the groan he made when I tranq'd him in the crotch. No lie that Steve Blum is a very distinct voice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mistle posted:

I recognized Steve Blum as a random genome soldier in MGS: Twin Snakes because of the groan he made when I tranq'd him in the crotch. No lie that Steve Blum is a very distinct voice.

Sorry for no updates. Something involving solar bodies and worship happened. I feel all hollow. But there'll be an update before Friday!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
drat you, Dark Souls.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
For anyone who is interested, the Brave New World expansion is 75% off on steam now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Speedball posted:

Sorry for no updates. Something involving solar bodies and worship happened.

Boy if Dark Souls 2 hadn't come out I'd figured you were talking about Easter.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mistle posted:

Urdnot Grunt and Rytlock Brimstone. Apparantly he's also in FFXIV, but because I'm a weeaboo and play the game in Japanese with English subtitles, I don't get to hear him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Urdnot Grunt and Rytlock Brimstone. Apparantly he's also in FFXIV, but because I'm a weeaboo and play the game in Japanese with English subtitles, I don't get to hear him.

Also Oghren in Dragon Age and Andronikos Revel over in TOR.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CzarChasm posted:

Boy if Dark Souls 2 hadn't come out I'd figured you were talking about Easter.

And you would have been mercilessly mocked for missing the reference :v:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Cythereal posted:

Also Oghren in Dragon Age and Andronikos Revel over in TOR.

And Wolverine in every non Hugh Jackman-appearance, yada yada yada. We should probably stop here, Steve Blum has done enough that the next hundred posters could list his resume.

Also drat my worshipping of the PC master race because I want Dark Souls 2 so bad. :(

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm surprised no one's just gone ahead and :darksouls: yet.

Spent the last several days reading through this thread, and I'm hooked. I'm not a Civ player, but I appreciate how fairly accessable it seems to be for the viewer regardless, and the first MSF run was pure Kojima gold. I'm also seriously considering going and watching Madoka thanks to you jerks, despite having sworn myself not to watch anything grimdark ever again. :argh:

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Sadly, I won't get to play Dark Souls II until April. But it gives me extra time to actually finish the first one, so...

Meanwhile, I kinda stopped making that Canada mod, because life happened and someone already made one reasonably close to what I intended. (Not that close, but close enough that I feel Trudeau would be overkill, especially as a first-timer.)

Instead, I was thinking of a Long Live the Queen-based mod, but since Elodie's development as a leader is based on the player's actions, I'm not sure what that would entail and I almost certainly lack the technological capability to get it working. Some sort of level-up or customization or advisor-based system would work best, I think, but that'd require actual programming! I'd want some idea of how to do it, at least, if I were to do it at all.

Plus, she's actually the leader of a nation, so it's a magical girl mod that's completely in context. This is a pretty good thing!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine something like every Era you'd choose from a list of bonuses that gave you help towards one of the victory conditions/some other thing like bonus XP for units, city state friendliness, whole bunch of things.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alaan posted:

I'd imagine something like every Era you'd choose from a list of bonuses that gave you help towards one of the victory conditions/some other thing like bonus XP for units, city state friendliness, whole bunch of things.

Soooo…Social Policies, then?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

I'm surprised no one's just gone ahead and :darksouls: yet.

Lordran - Lord Gwynn

UA1: Darksign - Units that are destroyed respawn the nearest city at the start of the next turn, and receive the unique 'promotion' of "Hollowed". Being hollowed removes all previously attained promotions. Each death causes Hollowed to stack, each stack causing a consecutive -15% penalty to combat strength. Surviving combat removes one stack of Hollowed. Destroying an enemy unit removes two. Once hollowed status is completely removed, the unit can begin gaining experience again.

UA2: Undeath - Citizens are immune to starvation and building production is universally increased by 15%, but growth requirements and unit costs are doubled.

UU: Chosen Undead - Separate from but identical to Warrior save for the following: may be upgraded along any unit path. Can have a maximum of one stack of hollowed, and promotion losses are temporary. Limited to one Chosen Undead per city owned.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 14, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Speedball posted:

Soooo…Social Policies, then?

Kind of. Doing things on era change at least exists for him in the code. So that could be easier to work off of than just trying to shove in some weird RPG thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, nice, when I proposed a Lordran civ a few pages ago I mentally had it set up as you gaining gold for every victory, losing gold for every unit lost, and being able to spend gold to level up your units. Respawning was also possible but you only had a chance of it and they'd lose all their levels. But that's pretty cool too. Interesting how you'd have one truly immortal unit.

Who would the king be, Gwyn, Gwynneth, Gwyndolin, Crestfallen Guy or maybe the Chosen Undead himself? …if the latter was the case he'd only speak in pantomime or stock phrases from orange soapstones. Hee hee.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For Elodie, I would go with a UA that gives you large bonuses when you cap a social policy track. It plays into her flexibility and player-driven focus, and the game's desire for you to go all-in with her training - note that as Elodie improves at a skill, so does her ability to improve at that skill.

For UU, I dunno, something about her nation's weird wizard people?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedball posted:

Oooh, nice, when I proposed a Lordran civ a few pages ago I mentally had it set up as you gaining gold for every victory, losing gold for every unit lost, and being able to spend gold to level up your units. Respawning was also possible but you only had a chance of it and they'd lose all their levels. But that's pretty cool too. Interesting how you'd have one truly immortal unit.

Who would the king be, Gwyn, Gwynneth, Gwyndolin, Crestfallen Guy or maybe the Chosen Undead himself? …if the latter was the case he'd only speak in pantomime or stock phrases from orange soapstones. Hee hee.

"Try Jumping" - totally just backstab wardecced you
"I can't handle this..." - conquered
"Amazing View" - I want your land, step off

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Should we go with "Praise the Sun" or "Fantastic Chest" for Declarations of Friendship?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
drat you SpeedBall, I can't buy myself Dark Souls 2 because my birthday's in April and I know someone's getting it for me. Curse you!

Although to be fair I pretty much just check the last couple pages for Civ / MGS / Games chat and then check the contents to see if you're done with Madoka, sorry man, I just... Yeah. It's not for me.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 14, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Queen Fiona posted:

Sadly, I won't get to play Dark Souls II until April. But it gives me extra time to actually finish the first one, so...

Meanwhile, I kinda stopped making that Canada mod, because life happened and someone already made one reasonably close to what I intended. (Not that close, but close enough that I feel Trudeau would be overkill, especially as a first-timer.)

Instead, I was thinking of a Long Live the Queen-based mod, but since Elodie's development as a leader is based on the player's actions, I'm not sure what that would entail and I almost certainly lack the technological capability to get it working. Some sort of level-up or customization or advisor-based system would work best, I think, but that'd require actual programming! I'd want some idea of how to do it, at least, if I were to do it at all.

Plus, she's actually the leader of a nation, so it's a magical girl mod that's completely in context. This is a pretty good thing!

I'm not sure how simple this would be to do, but since it's just extra points I think it'd be doable, it's based on Elodie getting costumes when she reaches a certain level of competence in a field:

Unique Ability: Look the Part -- Your palace generates an appropriate bonus when you open a policy tree, and an extra bonus when the tree is completed.

Tradition: 2 Great Engineer Points / 4 Great Engineer Point
Liberty: 4 Happiness / 4 Happiness
Honor: 2 Great General Points / 4 Great General Point
Piety: 2 Faith / 4 Faith
Patronage: 2 Tourism / 4 Tourism
Aesthetics: 2 Culture / 4 Culture
Exploration: 2 Great Admiral Points / 4 Great Admiral Points
Rationalism: 2 Great Scientist Points / 4 Great Scientist Points
Commerce: 2 Great Merchant Points / 4 Great Merchant Points

Unique Building: Royal School -- Provides +1 Science for every 2 citizens, provides an Arist slot. Replaces Library

Unique Unit: Lumen -- Combat Stength 13, Ranged Combat Strength 22. Replaces Crossbowman, and is stronger than that unit. [Quite a lot stronger, but the two other units which replace the crossbowman have +1 range and "Attacks twice" respectively, so it's not out of place]

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Should we go with "Praise the Sun" or "Fantastic Chest" for Declarations of Friendship?

The correct answer is obviously "Jolly cooperation".

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Elodie: every time you choose a social policy, Elodie's mood changes to match the policy you picked. Each mood is its own unique UA that gives different bonuses and maybe drawbacks. Maybe entering a golden age lets you freely pick a mood yourself?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

TehGherkin posted:

Although to be fair I pretty much just check the last couple pages for Civ / MGS / Games chat and then check the contents to see if you're done with Madoka, sorry man, I just... Yeah. It's not for me.

I can't tell from how you worded this, but you realize Speedball paused the Madoka stuff for awhile until the movie gets released in English? We're back in MGS mode now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 29: An unexpected face!

So, what's the situation besides the world's first dictator and the angriest Japanese warlord ever?

Well, we've discovered a few independent settlements who are willing to pay us for services rendered. Including… Hong Kong? Where the hell are we?

A land where time and space are all mixed up.

You, uh…you're kind of rolling with this a lot more easily than I thought you would.

Eh. You get used to it.

Well, phase one of our plan to restore Mother Base is done. I've outfitted us with a primitive training facility full of solar-powered dart-throwers--no poison on them, of course, they're just toothpicks-- and a boulder-outrunning course.

…that's, uh… pretty hardcore.

We can't afford to waste time getting these people trained!

I'd better make another speech to the guys about how we're going to be giving our clients all the help they can get. Once more from the top...

More savages right outside Milan. We'd better clear them out before they cause us any future headaches.

Better get to work on a sailboat so we can explore around here better, too. Hey, doc, can you whip up anything to help us?

I'm a computer expert, AI developer and psychology major, Snake.

Ah. So until we get electricity you know absolutely nothing of value to help us.

The perils of an overspecialized education.

Sir! We've just got an envoy from another civilization! They look…American?

Oh, my.

…George Washington?

Yes. My scouts tell me you're called… "Big Boss?" What an interesting name.

It's to the point. So, seriously, you're George Washington?

Of course, sir.

So…are you going to attack us? Are you sizing us up for invasion?

Boss!

Because…no offense, Mr. Washington, recent events have kind of made me a little paranoid.

I understand. I had to fight off what looked like a bunch of Visigoths not too long ago. I assure you, I'm too busy tending to my own business to get into anyone else's. So, you're an army without a nation… are your services for sale to anyone?

Not anyone. Lately I've found it's safer to contract out to smaller settlements. They pay less, but they also have less reason to stab me in the back.

Well, so long as you do not turn your weapons against us, I suppose things will be all right. I've fought against mercenary armies before, and won.

Hessians, right? Well, good. Talk to you later, Mr. President.

Very well, Big Boss.

We just finished the Kill Room and improved the command center, Boss! Mostly it's just a place full of grass dummies that our soldiers attack with spears, but whatever works, right?

There's some kind of huge stone structure under the base. I'm ordering an excavation.

Something useful down there, you think?

Maybe… or maybe it'll just be a place for religious nutjobs to hang out at.

I could use it! I turned an ancient precolumbian temple into a computer lab before!

Yeah, what was up with that, anyway?

The rent was cheap.

Snake, umm…

What?

There is a literal cult of people who worship shiny things starting up outside. Pennies, pearls, gems, it doesn't matter.

Hooo, boy. Well, let's see if we can't apply a little judiciousness to it and steer it in a more productive direction. Like, say, collecting shell casings!

Goddamn fools, the cultists are demanding ivory now, too! We don't have the time for hunting endangered species!

The temple of SHINY THINGS has been unearthed! Rejoice, my brothers and sisters!

NO! You idiots! This is my computer lab! Get out!

What's a computer?

Give it up, doc. We'll need to get another place for you.

Well, we've made it this far. Nobody's attacked us. We're doing better than I expected.

What were you expecting?

Worst-case scenario? One of us gets kidnapped, I have to initiate a rescue mission, everything goes wrong and the world gangs up on me.

Aaahh, you could handle it.

Not if one of them shoots lasers at me from their eyes!

To Be Continued!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
God I look forward to the conversations of Big Boss and Washington. If he actually manages to read about the United States future they will have much to talk about.

• Locked thread