Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I know they did this a few times. They used a big price slash during the transition from 2nd to 3rd to basically stab all their competitors right in the jugular. Stuff like the whole Catachan line were way cheaper than the kits that preceded them. They pretty much managed to kill Target/Heartbreaker and Warzone/Chronopia because neither game weathered the onslaught of affordable high quality plastic kits that emerged in the late 90's. I mean, they had done cheap plastic stuff previously but the quality just wasn't on par with the later stuff and so it wasn't taken as seriously (despite the regiment filler packs for fantasy and the original plastic Marines being ground breakers).

The market is way larger now though. Warzone is making a comeback (and the miniatures look pretty sweet), and skirmish games are taking a bite out of Warhammer. Kickstarter has also let a lot of startup companies (and some established ones) put their miniature games in the market.

A lot of people also like using miniatures from other companies as proxies for their WH armies, but hey they may also decide to try out the rules for the game they came with. If they happen to like it and word of mouth spreads, that's less people buying WH stuff there would be.

Right now... it seems like GW is putting less miniatures per box while charging more for them, and also making them HARDER to find. Sure, some of the new miniatures are pretty cool, but so are the ones from other companies. Forgeworld still makes kickass stuff but their products are way more expensive than others out there in the market that aren't any less cool.

About a year back, here, in Bogota, Colombia, WH was pretty much the only miniature game you could play. Now, I'm seeing a lot of people playing Infinity, and even some Warmachine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

enri posted:

If you really love the game, you pore your efforts into whatever community springs up in the absence of an over arching 'head office' who are there solely to dictate rules to you and take your money. Your new found community takes it upon themselves to take care of the now unsupported rules and begins to improve it over time and everyone gets a better game, the only catch being that there are no more 'official' models from the original manufacturer (whether or not they're still in business)

Just using GW's games as an example; Epic, Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Necromunda - all dropped by GW, they receive no support at all any more yet people still manage to play games and there are communities for all four out there if you look hard enough :v: (epic has its own, albeit small, tournament scene in the UK as well as interests in other countries) - there's plenty of 3rd party models to be had out there to fill whatever gap you have in your armies.

GW going down the plughole and leaving nothing behind wouldn't ever mean your models become useless. You still have the rules and you still have your models, they're yours to do with as you will.

You do make a good point there. Bloodbowl alone...how many out-of-company teams are there? Off the top of my head, Shadowforge and Impact make alternate teams, and Kickstarter and Indiegogo are currently used to fund new varieties. Hell, you could even use Dreadball teams to play Bloodbowl.

It's not as if people don't use proxies to play Warhammer already!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Have they actually even progressed in the plastics department either? I was dumb and bought the giant tau robot cuz it was on sale but since regretted it but at least picked up painting minis (x-wing and infinity in this case cuz they are far superior games) again. It was no better than the poo poo they had a decade ago. Meanwhile, my gundam real grade released 2 years ago has incredible paneling detail and moving parts that GW can't even bother putting on their large robots and baby carriers. And no flash.

Just because the giant skeleton wizard on a horse is bigger doesn't mean it's become any better. It probably still has the same amount of detail as the elf dragon released 6? 8? Years ago that I oohed and aahed about. And I bet it still doesn't wag its tail.

If you are asking for MODULAR stuff... um... well, the Gorkanaut/Morkanaut can be put together so that you can rotate their weapons, open their doors, move their heads...

Also, well, modular stuff for a miniature wargame is probably not entirely desirable? The gundam is, at the end of the day, a model to put on a cool pose and then on a shelf. A wargaming miniature gets moved, stored, knocked over, and so on.

I really do like the plastic miniatures. They are cool and can be put together really easily, without using super glue that sticks to your FREAKING FINGERS :argh: ... and they are much easier to put back together in case they fall apart, unlike resin and metal.

Of course this all is meaningless until somebody finds the intelligence-feeding leech that has attached to the GW higher-ups, because holy poo poo some of these stories.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

The only thing I want to see other companies take from GW (other than a whole lot of DON'T DO THAT) is how to make their plastic kits.

Not even the poses tho. Just the plastic itself.

The reason being that I can just put together GW miniatures using plastic glue instead of super glue and it doesn't get STUCK ON YOU FINGERS AND NAILS and argh.

... so if they want to change the base sizes, I assume they will just sell the new base size, and some other company will build those insets so you can just put your miniature, old bases and all, into them to fit the new size.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

lilljonas posted:

It's a kind of blend plastic. It's softer, slightly bendy, loses detail and it's hard to remove mold lines. It also can't be glued with plastic glue and in my experience doesn't even glue easily with super glue. It's cheaper to produce than hard plastic, but is much worse to work with. I can completely understand why newer companies use it, since it's much more cost efficient to make, but they kind of suck.

Yeah, this. I think the Dreadball figures are made of it, and can be kind of a pain in the rear end to assemble.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Well, the third movie was basically a CGI game of Warhams, at least. I imagine that made making minis for it pretty easy.

Yeah. I saw that movie with friends, many of whom are wargamers, and that scene just clicked right in the "Oh drat I wanna do that with my dwarven/elf army" department.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I didn't meant that as a compliment. The third movie was an outright bad movie, I think.

Oh no. I don't disagree. But some of the stuff that happens before the just as armies clash felt pretty wargamey. That's what I was talking about.

Aaand I just realized I posted a reply to two pages ago as the topic moved on.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 15, 2015

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I remember the whole story about GW loving over online distributors and such. It caused a huge stir here.

I live in Colombia, and we don't really HAVE any place that sells their games in any official way. So most people that bough the game had it brought over. I believe the guy that brought stuff over actually had a deal with a distributor to get stuff cheaper.

This is very good, since, you see, the average Colombian makes a lot less money than, you know, the average US/UK citizen. It allowed people to get into the hobby. Hell, it got ME into the hobby. I have a ridiculous amount of 40k Orks.

Now... a lot of the products have to be ordered directly from GW. SOME can still be gotten via online distribution, but, well, price gouging. Finecast just pissed people off. To make matters worse?

Well, the Colombian Peso averaged at 2000 COP = 1 USD. Today? 2377. Beggining of the year? 2600+ It's currently going DOWN which is good for us but still.

So, with those prices, people have been buying GW less and less. I don't see that many people playing WH anymore. Warmachine and Infinity are kings at the moment.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Hra Mormo posted:

Goes by a lot of names, here it's Border Patrol (which was actually the name of the fantasy variant), to some it's Combat Patrol, originally it was 40k in 40 minutes. It's a format for playing ~400 point games with other restrictions like no vehicles with a combined armor value of over 33, no 2+ saves and so forth. Although it originally came out in White Dwarf it's basically kept alive through house rules now and most areas have their own, slightly different versions. My local variant for example is 500 points and large blasts are banned across the board.

Hah! Played a game like that once. Just a squad of ork boys with their nob boss riding on a trukk. Couple of editions ago anyway.

Did pretty well! ... the only match I lost was in the very first turn, when the enemy shot at the vehicle, destroying it, but under old rules destroyed ork trukks had a table of stuff that could happen when they got destroyed. In my case, it ended up dashing away in a random direction... which was right off the table. I lost with no points, but the other guy only ended up with like 1 point out of a possible 10 for his victory. So that was fun.

(I miss that old Ramshackle rule. The new one sucks.)

But, yeah, it was fun and I was able to play like 5 matches in one day. This was before Infinity took over the hobby over there too.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

JcDent posted:

So, Commissars? Because the way I read the boss pole, it's a commissar. And nobody is complaining about blammin'. Except for those about to get blammed, that is.

I didn't like it how in DoW blamming was done to make the troops shoot faster. Too gamey.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure IG has better leadership saves than Orks.

Hell I think everything has better leadership saves than Orks.

And Commisars just kill one dude and then they pass. Not to mention that... the mob rule is probably the one table where rolling LOW is actually what you want? At least I'm sure getting a 1 is better than getting a 6.

Now, like, Ramshakle used to be a random table roll. When your trukk got broken/destroyed, you rolled a d6. 1-2, trukk goes off in a huge fireball, with everything that implies. 5-6, trukk is just broken, passengers can disembark normally. 3-4 was the fun result, where the trukk would dash off in a random direction and THEN explode. If you rolled on target on the dispersion die, you chose where it went. This COULD mean that the trukk could explode on your face, but it could also run off to explode in the faces of the enemy-- likely leaving behind some orks ready to jump down their throats.

The new rule is like... when the trukk takes a penetrating hit, roll a d6. On a 6, it's just a glancing hit. Which is LAME AS HELL since trukks already have lovely armor, and only 3 hull points anyway. So a 1/6 chance of something maybe good happening. "Maybe" since with their lovely armor trukks gets blown up more often than not.

I don't mind random roll results. It made Orks pretty flavorful. The Shokk Attack Gun is an expensive and not very reliable bit of equipment, but I like it if only because there's a good chance that something amazing/funny will happen when you fire it off (in extremes, you can either vaporize yourself or an enemy unit. Or both.) I -do- mind when the random roll table explicitly does not offer anything better than an alternative. The old ramshackle rule meant that trukks were, in the end, unpredictable upon destruction. Now they are just... not as fun.

And the thing about orks is that... yes, they can shoot a lot (but have lovely aim and most of their guns are not that strong), they are tough (but have lovely armor saves), they are monsters in melee (but have lovely initative). I believe there are maybe one or two units with Invulnerable saves and they are characters. Since their strong point is melee, orks want to cross the battlefield ASAP in force and get into a fight. The new rules... make it much harder for that to happen.

Sephyr posted:

To be fair, hidden PK (and hidden weapons in general) was a lame mechanic. "Here, I'll allocate all your Chaos lord's hits to my boyz...now have fun getting insta-killed by the nob!" . Challenges are dodgy, but they are preferable to having units being basically extra hit points for a character.

Challenges are annoying as hell. You mention a chaos lord? This happened to me: Enemy chaos lord or Khorne challenged by boss, I accepted, and then not only did he kill the poo poo out of me BUT because of the rules of his weapons he also tore through the entire unit, challenge aside. It's really infuriating not being able to turn down a challenge without crippling yourself.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Holy poo poo, overwatch is in the game now? That sounds even worse. Poor Boyz. All they want to do is get stuck in.

Yeeeah, while Overwatch is only a hit on a 6 (... unless there are rules to improve it which there might be), you often lose some orks on a charge.

Well, on the plus side, charging at a unit of Lootas to shut down their superior dakka tends to be a bad idea.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Daedleh posted:

There is a suppression mechanic - pinning. Orks are one of the few armies that are vulnerable to it.

And if they are pinned - guess which table they roll on!

Not to mention that orcs themselves don't HAVE any unit that cause pinning! Hell, can you imagine if Lootas, what with being extremely long-range hail of bullets HAD pinning?

But no, now... the only real way to ensure your boys reach a place is by shoving them into a trukk, and try to distract their units with something else, like warbikers of deffkoptas.

Daedleh posted:

To each their own. I always felt stuff worked well. There was a bunch of conditions for hitting the Chaos Lord with the hidden Nob that I can't remember the specifics of, but I do remember it often being up to the defending player to allocate casualties and it was rare for me to be able to allocate to an IC.

However, a lot of Orks' hitting power comes from the PK Nob. Now that it just gets challenged into insignificance they're even more screwed in combat. IIRC in 3rd-5th ed a mob of 10 used to kill 2 marines, then the Nob would kill another 2 by himself. Hardly ridiculous levels of killiness but losing those 2 wounds from the Nob really screws Orks over - especially with extra casualties from overwatch or failing a random charge.

This, pretty much. An ork that doesn't initiate a charge has lovely initiative (... I actually forget how they changed Furious Charge tho), meaning just about anything will have better initiative. Their toughness will let them take less successful impacts than others, but their lovely armor save (6+ most of the time) means that they are very likely to die when they do get hit. When they get to hit (and they do a lot of that), then they have to deal with the enemies' often superior armor saves. PK Nobs are often there to balance the fact that, chances are, you just lost more orks than, say, a marine squad lost units-- by virtue of being terrifying blenders of death that are just very slow.

Challenges, more often than not, take them out of the equation.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

The Dorkanaut or whatever it is doesn't seem that good either, but it has a mighty transport capacity of :frogsiren: six models :frogsiren:

I kinda like the 'nauts, since they are essentially bigger kiling deffdreads... but at their cost? Not that good.

Add to the ork complaining: Orks still have lovely saves, lovely initiative, and lovely shooting skills. I think there is exactly one character that gets an Invulnerable save, and that is Ghazkull when he invokes the WAAAGH! Orks can get a Feel No Pain rule... of 6+, as opposed to most other armies that get it at 5+. Challenges can COMPLETELY gently caress over ork melee battles, since they rely so much on their leaders to dish out the damage.

It's weird, really. The new ork models are pretty cool (Flash Gitz, Meganobz, 'nauts), but they got shafted SO hard this edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Well, you know, if you don't want to get a Gundam?

You can just go for one of THESE

Dreamforge Kickstarted those robots a couple of years back, they are completely badass, articulated, you can swap their arms around for multiple weapons, and they ALSO come in a SKULL model for your SKULL needs. They are probably the right size too, seeing how one of them is just as large as my Stompa:

They are currently under 100 and the extra arms are at about 35 each. they also have a 15mm model that is $59 and $17.50 for extra arms.

• Locked thread