Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Carwash posted:

Crisis averted boys, dropped :10bux: to expedite the development of my virtual kingdom (I hate myself).

Fun game though.

Well, I was gonna say that removing clutter around your kingdom is a really quick way to go through your pools of resources, and you get achievements out of it that help toward buying another builder.

Anyway, I just started this game myself. I didn't know there was a goon thread for it until just now, so I'll post again when I get the clan castle built and want to join one of the goon clans. Any particular recommendations for which clan is currently active/fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

padijun posted:

I just booted a couple inactives from Goon Tang Clan, so send a request when you have your clan castle rebuilt

I was in Goon Tang Clan in Age of Wushu. I'm both filled with nostalgia and regret that this game will likely not be as fun as that one was. I'll let you know as soon as I have it built.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So how do I got about getting a screencap of my base? I want to post Babbys First Base and get some general opinions on it.

Also, my shield ran out about 15 minutes ago. I attacked and demolished the first two bases I saw for a net gain. :black101: I think I might just have fun with this game, now that I'm not getting raped by NPC opponents in the single player campaign.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh, I thought there was a utility or something for it.

Incidentally, while I was uploading the picture, I got raided for the first time. The attacker didn't even get a star. They got through my archer tower, the wall behind it, and broke my elixir storage, but that's it. So I guess I'll beef up that area next. Now I've got all these nifty little gravestones around my town... that apparently turn into elixir when clicked. Neat.

I'm planning on purchasing a laboratory after my left barracks finishes its upgrade. Also, the open lines between the inner circle of buildings will be filled in with fence after I next upgrade my TH. Any further advice on this layout that anyone can give, or does it genuinely not matter at all until past TH6?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

padijun posted:

I just booted a couple inactives from Goon Tang Clan, so send a request when you have your clan castle rebuilt

Quoting this cause I just applied. Pubbies are bad, by the way. I had 5 raids over night and in all but the last one, I managed to beat them back pretty handily. The last finally broke through my defenses and got just 2 trophies and not a whole lot of resources from me. I have yet to watch the preview, but my TH finally finished its upgrade overnight, so I'm building my 2nd archer tower now. I'm just wondering where to put my AD that I just acquired, since there's no central location that it'll fit into.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

khy posted:

I hit accept but it looks like those couple empty spots were already filled.

GTC is popular!

Well dang. Any other clans have openings? How about UGievArchers, or 2Poor4Gems, or SHOWMEYOURPEKKA?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McSpankWich posted:

WeSpend500Dolla has an open spot currently

Bah, the one clan I didn't want to apply to, because it implies I'd spend money on a mobile game. :argh: Applied.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

He copied it with the lovely base designs in the OP. Also, there are anchor links, they're in the upper right corner of the post.

EDIT: The link actually just lets you view that singular post. How dumb.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 21, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Booties posted:

gently caress i feel bad. Want me to delete it and post goatse?

Well, being brand new here, I don't wanna tell you what to do, but generally it's pretty lovely to just C&P big long effort guides like that verbatim. If the guy who made it wanted it to be public, he would've put it on a wiki or something instead of making it the OP of a thread behind a paywall. If you wanted to post a chunk or two of it, it probably would've been fine, but doing the whole thing is kind of lovely, IMO.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

3rding this. I've been raiding successfully all night on the new-found promise of hordes of goblins with a couple of giants running distraction. It's been amazing. I'm actually going to have to stop soon-ish because both of my builders are busy upgrading my storages, and won't be done before I fill them both up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Much as I love penis jokes, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it looks like a dragonfly.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wasn't there a spreadsheet or URL posted in this thread a while ago that would show you how much time and resources it would take to upgrade whatever you had in your town? I looked back about 10 pages and I must've missed it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ixo posted:

It's also in the first post near the end. It doesn't include the 4th mortar or skeleton traps.

Oh, thanks. I thought it was a different thing for some reason.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I need some advice on rolling TH6s as a TH5. I'm in the process of upgrading pretty much everything, as I just got to Th5 over the weekend. I'm finding now that a lot of the Th6 bases I keep getting shown while raiding have 2 mortars and 2 wizard towers, whereas I'm used to 1 mortar and maybe 1 wizard tower with my current raiding strategy. I'm used to running with 6 giants and either 90 goblins or, more recently, 60 goblins and 10 barbs or archers. How can I switch things up to make it a bit easier to take out the towers and mortars?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

duffmensch posted:

You should be able to get rich quickly just by hitting abandoned bases with full collectors and using archers and giants (or some goblins if you want). At your level it's cheap to hit next until you get a free 120+ base.

That's what I'm currently doing. I just feel like the towers rip through my army like tissue paper, and that there's gotta be something I'm doing wrong when I go up against them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

gromdul posted:

Skip the giants and bring 30 more barbarians and archers.

I tend to go for the giants because I find that lots of people put their mortars and wizard towers near the edges of their bases at this level, and the giants run for those first, which both distracts said defenses, and hopefully gets them taken out. I find my barbs tend to split up and get killed, but then again, I could also be dumb when it comes to picking spawn points, and I'm not taking advantage of how the mob pathing ai works.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Boywunda posted:

Level 2 wizards actually. I'm still a TH5 (though 3 days until my TH6 finishes).

My farming strategy for TH5 was very very simple.
2 different army compositions

1.) 135 level 3 barbarians. Click Next as many times until you can get both 100k+ resources and the collectors are outside the base and are reasonably full. Send in 5-10 barbs at each collector. Splash damage won't be as bad as your barbs are spreadout. Obviously barbs will try other structures as well, so don't send too many until those other structures are out of the way. Try to place them as close to the collectors.

I spent 3 full days with this strategy and collected more than 3-4 million resources. kept all 4 of my builders busy. And if I got raided, they barely got anything off me, as my storages were protected and collectors were empty. I could attack every 15 minutes or so, as long as my barracks were always queue with Barbs.

2.) 5 Wall Breakers, 12 Giants, 15 Goblins, 15 Barbs, 35 Archers. Again, I would click next until I saw 100k+ resources available. Then as long as the walls were gold or less and hopefully just a square around their village, and the collectors were close to the outside, they were fair game. Barbs first to draw out any Clan Castle troops, and to draw the mortar(s) attention. Then giants and wall breakers close tot heir defensive structures. Primarily mortars and cannons and wizard towers, leaving archers and air defense last (if possible). Once walls were down, send in the goblins and archers.

I'd end up getting 3 stars quite often with this, but took longer to build and spent more elixor. I didn't want the trophies yet either. This was my first strategy and then switched to 135 barb strategy. once I made the switch, that's when the money started rolling in and I upgraded my walls to gold in 1 day.

I've been trying the barb-only strategy most of today. It works somewhat ok, but I guess I don't understand AI pathing and proper troop spawning well enough because I can never seem to get them to go after what I want. I'm gonna try a half barb, half gob approach for a bit and see how that goes. Maybe I can use the barbs to open up holes, then flood that area with gobs.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've currently only got 120 capacity.I've been working on upgrading defenses, but I should really work on upgrading the camps more.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

We tried the war button search trick in WESPENT500DOLLA, and, well...

There's only 2 hours left in the war.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TraderStav posted:

Go use some attacks

I'm rank 46 in the alliance. I did try and attack when the war started. I had a bad army comp because I had a stupid idea and got 1*, and by the time I was able to rebuild my army, all the targets within 4 levels of me had been attacked. No way I'd even be able to 1* anything else as a th5.

I don't know anything about the search feature when picking targets, but I do wish we would be matched up against groups with similar th compositions as we have. That and I wish we had more participants in war, since we seem to lack in attacks sent in the last 3 or so that I've seen.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blinkman987 posted:

To be fair, I've been in better organized pubbie clans than WeSpent500Dolla. Clan Wars is being a tooth in Steve Buscemi's mouth. That opposing clan at minimum was completely organized, and they executed on every attack.

Edit: Oh yeah, as an example someone loving gave me rank 5 Barbarians in my war request if that tells you anything. =/

I pretty much exclusively receive level 5 archers when I request stuff. Even if I ask for other things. Sometimes, I'll get a random hog or a couple wizards, but yeah, like 90% is archers.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ZombieParts posted:

You need to upgrade your Town Hall as quickly as possible. It increases the number of times your clan castle troops can attack before resting. Try to get to at least TH9 as soon as possible.

While this is (probably since I don't actually know) true, don't rush too fast, or you'll end up against other TH9s with only TH6-or-whatever-grade everything else. Not exactly an ideal place to be.

Somewhat related, but as an almost fully maxed out TH5, is there any decent way to deal with the 90% of bases I find that have 2 wizard towers and 2 mortars? I assume these are Th6s, and they blow me out of the water every single time. Should I just move along to other bases that don't have 2 each of those, or am I missing out on some secret strategy here?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

gromdul posted:

Sure, you can win wars and make a lot more. But the cost is much higher, and if you try to win and fail (like we do in WeSpent) then its a net loss. I spend 500k elixir on CCs, dragons and spells, and goons can't be bothered to use both attacks.

causticBeet posted:

I'm awful at this game and but at a certain point if you're not going to even try do the fun and competitive things in the game why bother playing? Like sure it's a net loss but it's what separates this game from other skinner boxes.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know for me specifically during wars, I definitely try to attack at least once. What seems to happen is that if there's a target that's around my level(which has happened all of twice, including the war that's about to start), I'll definitely throw everything I have against them, but by the time I get my army built up and ready to again at a different target, everyone who was anywhere near my level has been decimated by higher leveled guys to the point where I can't even touch the recommended target anymore.

What I'm saying is, being on the bottom kinda sucks in wars.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Booties posted:

We spent is no more?

A bunch of people(sadly, the ones I generally recognize as being mostly active) left after we lost our last war by like 3 stars. I think this is our 3rd or 4th loss in a row now, so I can understand the frustration.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McSpankWich posted:

It wasn't that we lost, we've lost a million wars and I didn't care because people actually participated. It was that we would have won easily if people had just attacked. Our star ratio well over 2.0 stars per attack, but we lost 73-75. Only like 43 attacks were used out of 100. It was frustrating to spend like 500-600k elixir on CC troops and attacks, and then no one even care to use them.

I got 5 4* archers, a wizard, and a single, IIRC 0*, healer that did diddly poo poo in my CC last war. :saddowns:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

LAY-ZX posted:

One of them gave me level 3 archers. Please, god, someone save us from this hell.

What's up, getting level 3 archers buddy? :hfive:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is the Thinkmeats Supreme TH6 layout in the OP still good? I need to change my layout so I stop getting raided within an hour of my shield going down.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mostly resources, it seems. My current layout is pretty decent for wars, but it puts all the resource collectors and storages in really easy to access spots so that attackers get blown the hell up while they chew through them. Even still, I keep losing at least 50K total resources every drat raid.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

dipwood posted:

WeSpent has like 15 spots open. We won our last war somehow, I guess after getting rid of all that dead weight it came naturally to us...

We won our last war because we got rid of a bunch of top heavy goons whose presence caused us to get dragged into wars with enemies that half of us couldn't realistically take on. Now, instead of that svelte hourglass figure, we're pear shaped and actually able to beat the horrible jerks we go up against. Our current war is looking pretty good as well. There's a guy in the lower levels with all level 3 walls, which our equivalent goon should be able to 3 star pretty readily.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anyone else having a problem with the keyboard not showing up when trying to type on an Android phone since the update? I can't request archers or chat because the keyboard will take 45 seconds to come up, then stay up for 3 seconds before disappearing again.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone know if the devs are working on a fix for the keyboard bug on Android phones? I can't type anything in the chat now because even when the keyboard does come up, it disappears as soon as I press the first key. It's annoying as gently caress, and pretty much brings this game back to single player for me.

To anyone in WeSpent, I tried to hit #29, but that base stonewalled me with it's abundant pink walls. I want to try at #30, but Penny called dibs on it, so I'll wait to see if they get any stars off of it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

random logic posted:

What version of Android are you on? What brand of phone/carrier?

Do you have some fancy non-stock, to your phone, keyboard loaded up? If so take it off, if not try one.

Try uninstalling Clash of Clans and re-installing it. (be sure you are backed up and don't pull a Hammy)

I've got an LG-LS720, running Android v4.1.2, on Virgin Mobile's network, with just the stock keyboard software that came with the phone, and this only started happening after the latest update to the game. It does it nowhere else.

Just to be sure I'm properly backed up here, I've tied my account to google+, which is all I need to do, right?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Now watch the devs patch it on Christmas day to give out presents every 5 minutes for just that day.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Negligent posted:

I tried doing a butthole but went back to my trap layout

I'm dumb, what TH is this? If it's not TH7, I just got to TH7 this morning, and I'm looking for farming and war layouts, so someone please post some suggestions.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Negligent posted:

TH7 for another few hours, everything upgraded.

How did it work out for you? I kinda wanna go with that layout if it worked well enough.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Negligent posted:

I was attacked 4 times overnight, no one succeeded in getting a star , +85 cups

No one fell for the honeytrap though :(

Got any better pictures of it? I'm trying to copy it and figuring out the exact placement within the usable space is kind of a pain in the rear end.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

As a relatively new TH7, what are some recommended army comps? currently I still use my TH6 comp but expanded to fill the extra army camp, which works out to 10 barb, 1 healer, 3 wb, 11 giants, and 100 archers, with two healing spells. I use the barbs to lure the cc, take that out with some archers, drop the giants ahead of them, near any ad, and use the heal spells to keep them alive until the ad is taken out, at which point I drop the healer. Liberally apply archers wherever needed, and use the wb to get through tough walls that might be between the giants and the ad.

It's worked out well so far for the most part, but I just built the dark barracks and I'm at the point where I can save up for dragons and I'm wondering if I should change up that comp at all once i get the new troops.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Will Styles posted:

I can't find anything more than 50k in silver 1. Are you just farming the little guys or are you hitting next 100 times to find that one elusive big raid?

I'm also in silver 1/2 and man oh man do I need to get out of there. I keep finding jack poo poo for raid targets and getting mauled at least once a day by someone who really ought to be a league or two higher than me as it is. Does it get any better in the leagues just above silver?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thoughtless posted:

I sure love upgrading my AA. Every single time my shields expire the base gets reamed by giants+healers, for five days. :cripes:

I know your pain. Except I get giants, healers, and a BK for because.

So, I just unlocked dragons yesterday, and I feel like it's time I changed my army comp. Currently, my comp is 1 healer, 3 WB, 10 barbs, 12 giants, 100 archers, and 2 heal spells. Use the barbs to lure CC, drop giants near the AA, use heals to keep them up until the AA is gone, then drop a healer for them, sprinkle liberally with archers to take out everything while the giants have their fun. It works pretty well, except against bases with all pink or better walls, and against really heavily protected mortars/AA. How could I change my army comp to better suit where I am in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ditch posted:

For one thing, it's silly to have that many more archers than barbs. Also, if you find you're trying to get in the middle for storages as much/more than sniping collectors on the outside, bring more WBs. Drop down to like 50 archers, use 8-10 WB, more barbs, maybe some gobs too. I used 2 healers for a while because 1 would often get air-mined.

Also, drop the healer when you reach TH8, and stop upgrading them.

Why is it silly to have more archers than barbs? I find my barbs die a lot more often than the archers due to needing more time to get up close to stuff, and therefore triggering more bombs more often. Also, the fact that the archers can shoot over walls and thus don't need to break them down first is also a plus.