Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ToxicFrog posted:

...for one turn, because Flames of Urok + Fearscape require 180 mana to sustain.

It's probably not worth taking Cornac for that, because you'll be pushing 20 or more by the time you have the mana to actually use it effectively.

It's still worth taking Cornac for that because you're still a Corruptor and Cornac Corruptor owns way hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Magres posted:

As Cursed, should I be putting any points into Dex? Like, I'm level 35 and have yet to put a point into it and I think I'm doing okay, accuracy wise :shrug:

Nah. You've got Combat Accuracy and Stalk gives you a shitpile of bonus accuracy with a few points. Basically max Strength/Will/Con before even giving a poo poo about anything else.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have an important question: where can I find the insanely :rock: music that plays on Tempest Peak? I want to put that on my phone and listen to it at work.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Magres posted:

Man, the Tannen's Tower fight is loving rough. That Drolem is a monster, and Tannen himself is just an endless goddamned barrage of damage. I lost a life to stupidity after I killed the Drolem, but it was REALLY touch and go the entire fight, and I'm surprised I didn't lose two or three lives - it is not a Cursed friendly fight, as killing either the Drolem or Tannen involves sucking down an endless machine gun of damage, and you don't have the room to actually run away and rest up properly. I wound up kiting them in circles around the arena, diving in and hitting the Drolem once or twice, then rampage + move infusioning to go kite some more.

Fights in small arenas suck horribly for Cursed :(

The trick to that fight is that the Drolem is so goddamn big it blocks line of sight, so you just stand with the Drolem between you and Tannen and then flip the loving poo poo out on it until it dies. Then it's just you and Tannen (and Blindside and Rampage)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

tl;dr: Cursed characters are the 98lb weaklings of Eyal. :colbert:

You're dumb and wrong sorry. Cursed have a really bad start, unless they're Cornac, so play a Cornac Cursed. Unlock Rampage and max the first three skills like, immediately. Like put one point in Gloom and one point in whatever else at the start and just every other point is RAMPAGE RAMPAGE RAMPAGE until it's 5/5/5/0 (the last skill is garbage, don't take it). Neglect Will to pile up Strength and Con at the start. You are doing this because Strength lets you Rampage Better and get more points in Armour Training and Weapon Mastery, which makes you not die and make things die better, respectively. Con makes you not die better. Rampage is loving busted good and will turn you into a screaming wall of dismemberment.

Once all of your rampage stuff is maxed, go for Preternatural Senses and Blindside because they rule, and build towards Surge. Put points in Gloom occasionally to keep all your enemies making GBS threads themselves all the time. These skills will let you go super loving fast and see poo poo through walls and then stab them through the walls because gently caress walls. Congratulations you are a walking mushroom cloud made of swords and rad guitar solos.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jowy posted:

Honestly, I actually prefer non-Cornac Cursed because once you're good enough at the game you don't really need early Rampage and it means you get racials that matter instead of a category point that in the long run becomes a waste. This of course depends on if you're absolutely set on doing something like going both AM and taking cursed items though cause then obviously that's not gonna work too well, but just the fact that you have a choice is cool.

Of course I'd still say Cornac is better by a loooong shot for anyone not familiar with the class.

I can personally attest that Skeleton Cursed is pretty brutal. You lose movement infusions but are resilient as hell to make up for it. Not having access to AM kinda sucks, but being able to use arcane stuff opens up some pretty sweet options you wouldn't normally try. It's fun, but the starter area o god :gonk:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It would be sorta neat if you had a "betray them just as they reach the portal and feed on their hatred and despair" option to get +1 to something in Cursed Aura, yeah. Would be even better if other classes had some way to get cursed so they could do it too. In fact, the option to get cursed somehow would be a perfect reward for the Grand Corruptor stuff (she curses you when you kill her and you get the suppress y/n prompt next time you pick up an item).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

theshim posted:

I think I just had one of the dumbest deaths I will ever see.

Rolled a Cursed, everything going fine, then I went into the antimagic trial, forgetting that my battleaxe was arcane powered and bringing no backup weapons.

I managed to punch my way through everything up to the corruptor while roaring frenziedly at my computer and occasionally stopping to pound my chest, but I just didn't have enough to chunk the corruptor down before he blew me up. RIP Thrash Bloodspike, you didn't deserve that :smith:

That's pretty much the most metal thing I've ever heard so tbh I'd just call that a nonstandard win.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kanos posted:

Pfft, Brawlers do the punching corruptors thing to death and *succeed at it*.

Brawlers are metal as heck, but a dude who has no clue how to fistfight and just rides through on sheer FURY is a whole different kind of gar. :black101:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Magres posted:

Sweet mother of god. I need this in my life.

I do too, especially because I really want to see someone post "oh god my Doomed just died because a rare snake beat him to death with his own shadow :byodood:"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Magres posted:

(slam does not exist)

Slam would actually be hilariously amazing if it was a short-ranged charge that let you pass through enemies while hitting and stunning them (because you trample them, you see) and at talent level 5 it let you smash through loving walls. It wouldn't even have to do a lot of damage; its utility as an escape and positioning option, combined with the endless entertainment of knocking down walls and also giants with my face through the power of infinite anger, would make it a guaranteed 5/5 for me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

NachtSieger posted:

That's the Eldritch Pearl, though. Pearl of Life and Death you get for killing... the guy on the right. I can never remember which boss is who, just that their names are Argon and Elrondel, or something like that.

The dragon turtle guy has some egregious name like Ulmwskwykk or something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dodge Charms posted:

"Yo, Alchemst here. This is factually incorrect. My buddy does the heavy lifting."
"Summoner here. I have many buddies, and Alchemist is right."
"Oozemancer here. I'm going to kill Alchemist later but for now I must admit that he has a point."
"Doomed checking out. I'm leaving with all of your wallets thanks to my little buddies."

"HEY FUCKERS, I'M THE CURSED IN THE NEXT BUILDING AND I loving SEE YOU. GOOD LUCK HIDING BEHIND YOUR lovely MINIONS WHEN I TRANSFORM INTO PURE gently caress YOU ENERGY AND HATE MY WAY STRAIGHT THROUGH ALL THESE WALLS AND SHADOWS AND BLOBS AND poo poo SO I CAN CONSECUTIVELY STAB EVERY INDIVIDUAL ATOM OF YOUR BEING IN THE SPACE OF A HUMMERHORN'S FART." :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

theshim posted:

Yes. Yes it does. :iia:

This is part of why Celestial/Light is so rad on a Reaver. You can heal, shield, or Providence yourself and you will still smack the poo poo out of any enemies in melee with you while you're at it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

psy_wombats posted:

So the Cursed and Brawler grappling chat from a while back got me thinking, so I picked up Lua and am now working on a hate-based crazy-eyed maniac grappler class. Four new trees planned: mobility/crazy-eyes, deathblows (because Finishing Moves are for ninnies), utility, and of course throws. Can't think of a decent name though. (Beastfighter?)

Strangler is a good suggestion, but I'd suggest sticking within the overall Afflicted "theme" but exploring a new subset of it. Why not call your hatestranglers Haunted and orient their background fluff around this tragic, murderous, The Sixth Sense meets Every Revenge Movie Ever theme? The Haunted are constantly tormented by the whispers of the murdered, driven to madness by their shared fear of letting go and their collective bitterness and rage over their early deaths. Simply holding a weapon agitates the phantom voices, causing many of them relive their deaths at the hands of similar weapons, so the Haunted cannot bear to use killing implements and will instead rely on curse-warped will, the wrath of the lost, and their bare hands to crush the life from all who draw near with death in their hearts.

As a Haunted strikes down her foes, their death cries echo in her mind, joining the cacophony of spirits that spur her onward. Consumed by bitter anguish and maddened by otherworldly hatred, she grows ever stronger in her descent into insanity, learning to understand the terrible secrets whispered in her ears by the ever-growing host of the dead.

tl;dr: Cursed hates everything because it's cursed with a hate curse. Doomed hates everything because its mind broke sideways and now it eats malice and breathes hatred. Haunted hates everything because every time someone dies, their hate's gotta go somewhere, and it turns out that "somewhere" is a specific person and holy poo poo that person has to spend a lot of time venting all that excess hatred (onto peoples' windpipes).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 31, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Stelas posted:

The only problem I can see with this is that it doesn't quite jive with the 'Hate' bar's mechanics; what you've described is essentially vim. Hate is a bit more fluid and reactive and pops when the person is pissed at all kinds of stuff. It's hardly a massive complaint unless you really care about ~lore~ though.

Nah, you can really keep the "ARGH gently caress YOU" theme of the Hate bar without much difficulty, since all Afflicted classes get more Hate as they take serious damage or get close to dying. However, they also each have their own Thing - Cursed gains additional Hate when strong enemies come into the Gloom or when it hits enemies weakened by the Gloom, Doomed gains additional Hate by turning into a Dementor and sucking peoples' minds out, and Haunted could gain additional Hate by strangling fuckers ("you feel your slain foe's hatred seeping into you!") and possibly gain Hate at an accelerated rate when near death ("the voices grow louder as your life fades!").

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 31, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

theshim posted:

Trapped!, like the Dark Crypt, is a one-time prompt, you go in when it pops up or not at all.

This is kind of annoying, and I'm always terrified that I'm going to click the wrong one by accident on these or on The Beast Within, although I'm seriously considering just skipping the Dark Crypt on everyone going forward, it's just stupidly evil.

I always go into the Dark Crypt. By that point I usually have a couple of oh-poo poo options that I can use to get away from a really crappy entrance layout, and if I'm not going to be able to handle the Crypt I can just leave. With a movement infusion it's usually possible to just run right through most of it since the levels are pretty small until the bottom.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Magres posted:

Ooooohhh what if part of the lore is that what turned them into a Haunted is that they, at some point, killed an Afflicted who really, really Hated good and hard. The Lumberjack quest doesn't count because Ben is all 'oh dear christ thank you for saving me from my Curse,' instead you fight a Cursed that's like "NNOOOO gently caress YOU I WAS ENJOYING BEING A MURDERTRAIN I WILL loving END YOU, IN THIS LIFE OR THE NEEEeexxxxtttt.." when you kill him?

That's actually a really interesting idea. I think Doomed would be a good fit - the Haunted are those who fought powerful Doomed and killed them after hearing their hateful whispers (:v:), and then just... never stopped hearing them. Some piece of the fallen Doomed bled into them, gnawing, whispering, hating, and in the days to follow, more voices came. More whispers, more pain, more anguish. Their dreams turned to nightmares. Shadows began to dance in the corners of their vision. Daylight became a cruel lie, a false promise of peace, and the night became a time of lingering, oppressive fear.

They live like that for a few months. Then one day they just get up in the middle of the night, stare out into the darkness with wild, haunted eyes, and abruptly walk from their homes, never to return. They have to stop the whispers. They have to silence the voices. They have to kill.

The only way to defeat the fear is to become it.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 31, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh, I like that take on it. It leaves it to the player to decide exactly what haunts their Haunted.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

CrimsonWolf posted:

So as an alchemist should I put the rune of reflection on my golem or use it foe my character?

It's mediocre for survivability but quite nice for slightly beefing yourself up while also improving damage output. It's great for the golem. HOWEVER, you can use the Rune even if you already have two shields inscribed.

I'd say put it on the Golem. Having a third shield is nice, but there are a lot of good runes and infusions, and limited slots to put them in.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Oh man a tier 4 greatsword just dropped in The Maze that is tempting me to use it even though I'm using a dual wield AB.

\Any thoughts on heavy armor vs light for an Arcane Blade?

Heavy armour can be kind of a cock in terms of fatigue, but light armour's just not that great unless you have, and invest heavily in, the Mobility tree. I'd go heavy and simply use good mail armour if the fatigue gets out of control (it shouldn't).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I feel embarassed to say it but I don't even know how fatigue affects you in this game

It applies a small multiplier to the resource costs of all talents, varying somewhat depending on the individual resource. Vim doesn't give a gently caress about Fatigue, but Stamina and Mana are both noticeably penalized by high amounts of it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Short staves are neat and cool. The solution to their current weird niche limbo is probably to expand their niche into a full weapon type. Make 'em more common, reduce their raw power slightly, and you make shortstaff builds both easier to run and less absurdly strong.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Minionless Higher Necromancer kinda owns so far. I don't have many buttons yet, but I don't care that much because I'm teleporting around throwing death from my hands and eating souls like an evil badass. Next level I'll get Forgery of Haze and things will start to get really nuts. Looking forward to lichdom on this guy :unsmigghh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

psy_wombats posted:

I completely failed to notice that, whoops. Although I think half the reason the tree is ignored is because it's on Brawler, so it has anti-synergy with all the striking stuff. If it didn't water down half every single other good talent maybe it stands a chance.

Nah. I've played with it on Adventurer a lot and it's just plain bad. Not even the addition of Rampage can make that tree work. Unarmed really relies on Striking (well, mostly Double Strike) to be viable as a primary source of damage.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

He should just imbue a single gem onto an existing amulet. Found a rad artifact necklace? Bodge the loving Goedalath Rock in there and wear it forever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone interested in Wacky Time Stuff should try to look up Continuum, the absolutely mindbending tabletop RPG that sounds like an awesome idea, reads like it was written by someone smoking a giant joint rolled using pages from Hitchhiker's Guide and Dianetics, and plays not at all because you would need a futuristic supercomputer to correctly track the bajillions of little paradoxes and temporal debts and butterfly effects and poo poo you will create every time you go for a loving beer (seriously; one example of paradox is when someone pisses off his buddy by going to the guy's fridge and taking his last beer, not knowing that his buddy already took that beer in the future, so now he has to go and get an identical beer and sneak it into his buddy's fridge without his past self or his future buddy realizing it so as to avoid further complicating that timeline).

It is completely goddamn nuts, but a lot of fun to read. I don't think it's available free anywhere, though you might be able to find samples, excerpts, reviews, and discussion, all of which can be very entertaining. Someone did a pretty detailed write-up of it in the Traditional Games forum but I think it was spread out over many posts in a goddamn massive "weird game systems" thread that might be archived now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Velius posted:

On whips, I have a tier 5 whip of some demon name in my vault. I'll make a dual wield something with it one of these days.

Is it the Whip of Ur-Rhok? I seem to remember finding something called that and keeping it because it gave a when-carried bonus to blight damage. That thing would be pretty metal on a Reaver, or even a Corruptor offhanding it with a shortstaff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dodge Charms posted:

- Sustain which gives Temporal resist penetration and damage shield penetration. Not many things have specific Temporal resistance, but lots of late-game things have high Resist All. I'm wondering if this should also grant Physical penetration but I'm worried that would be overpowered. Kinda boring but very useful vs. eternal bone giants and such. Gives the TW and Heavy a unique niche ("guys who ignore damage shield"), which is vaguely thematic since the Paradox Mage gets jack poo poo for damage shields as compared to the Archmage.

Name it Entropy, give it Temporal resistance penetration and a small amount of damage shield penetration, and have it apply a stacking, Bleed-like magical debuff that deals Temporal damage over time. The damage per hit through the shield won't be extremely high, but hitting really fast is easy for temporal classes so you basically handle shields by piling up a ton of entropic erosion on them while also whittling away at the user's health, so that even if you have to fall back after a few turns, their shield will collapse and they'll take a solid chunk of Temporal damage in the following turns (by which point you'll be back and ready to start stacking up that temporal damage again).

e: gently caress, quote is not edit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, you can right-click the golem or its portrait to change its behaviour and leash distance. Tell it to stick near you if you're having trouble. Also remember that the golem probably isn't as smart about compensating for the Mouth's pull ability as you are, so it'll get steadily dragged towards it anyway.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Cursed have Stalk, which ramps up in power when they spend consecutive turns hitting the same enemy. Striking a Stalked enemy also grants a bit of Hate, so running up to a strong dude and just whaling on him can help keep them topped up.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Archmages are really bad for that due to their extreme fragility. They're almost indestructible with all their shields up and boosted, but otherwise, they're wet paper bags. That's why it's a good idea to use Arcane Eye to scout unseen areas so you don't get blindsided.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

theshim posted:

The Horned Horror is just a huge dick to arcane casters. That grab/grapple/silence move is ridiculous.

Always have a physical wild infusion for the alt maze (and in general!). If you get grabbed, pop it - it will either clear the grapple, in which case run like hell, or the silence, in which case teleport away or shield and unload (or both).

Even that isn't guaranteed to work, because you might be stunned by something he did, or bleeding or poisoned because some other thing did something, and your infusion might decide to clear one of those instead of the grapple (I have had this happen at least once). Basically that boss is really lovely for arcane casters since it's heavily specialized to murder them as frustratingly as possible, and even a carefully prepared caster can be screwed over by a bit of bad luck when fighting it. I really like the "scary melee grappler boss" concept, but giving it a status that is hard to reliably mitigate and capable of outright shutting down a number of character types seems a bit excessive.

There was also the time when I encountered the Horned Horror when it was standing on Blighted Soil, and it proceeded to hit me with Takedown and a bunch of suplexes and lightning and welp turns out it's really hard to not die horribly when you're grappled, silenced, infected with three magical diseases, and in melee with an angry boss.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 6, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Until you go into a vault and teleportation doesn't work anymore.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Transient People posted:

Well yeah, but if you went into a vault and didn't expect murder you should've read the loving manual. :v:

Always open every vault :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

Prox. I was a Human (Cormac) Berserker on my last attempt. I kited and used my regen ability until I ran out of room when I got low, but once I was forced to toe-to-toe he just did too much damage.

You'll get the hang of it, trust me. After a while you'll die to Prox so rarely that, when you do, it makes you stop and seriously wonder what you did wrong (like when I died to him three times consecutively trying to get a Haunted off the ground. PS Haunted is awesome but the first handful of levels are loving wretched to an even greater extent than Brawler). Keep at it, and it'll "click" before too long.

e: I just picked up Spit Poison on a Haunted and holy heck. I can grab people, crazy-eyes them, barf on them, and then hurl them away to stagger around confused and poisoned while I close in for another deadly chokeslam. I really really like this class! It feels a little underpowered and really bad at dealing with groups (at least in the early game), but aside from that, it's quite fun and unique to play.

e2: Okay yeah I just crazyported to a summoner rare and started choking him, and when he summoned a turtle I screamed gently caress OFF and threw it across the room and went back to choking the summoner out. Class owns

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 7, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Give Haunted that one Cunning tree Rogues get with the bleeding wounds and stuff. Is it Scoundrel? It would dovetail really well with the whole "grab one guy and give him ALL OF THE DEBUFFS because gently caress THAT GUY" dynamic Haunted have going, and the final talent that makes dudes attack randomly around you (Misdirection, I think) would be cool as hell in combination with You Shall Be My Shield! because you could crazyport into a crowd and strangle some guy and everyone else is all OH poo poo WHAT THE gently caress and hits literally everything that isn't you in a frenzy of confused panic.

e: Oh yeah, making Throws generic would be great, especially if it was unlocked from the beginning. That would REALLY smooth out the early game and would solve the generics problem.

NuminaXLT posted:

How about instead of ooze they used some sort of troglodyte-esque creature that they can evolve/devolve for various abilites? Sort of a mix between Alchemist and Summoner.
Could maybe even be different creatures too, like a lizard varient that could trade between dragon for DPS to dinosaur for a more tanky pet.

Maybe the initial summon is some sort of ooze that you evolve to whatever your current need is? Sort of a rougelike version of E.V.O. from the SNES?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.V.O.:_Search_for_Eden

Oh man, if you're gonna do the E.V.O. thing (holy crap that game owned), don't make it a weird pet mechanic, make it a big part of the Primordialist's theme. You could design it as a flexible, mobile, melee/short-range nuking oriented skirmisher that constantly mutates, evolves, and devolves its anatomy to adapt to different situations. Instead of Oozemancer-style relentless nuking, AoE spam, and minions everywhere, the Primordialist is an unpredictable, adaptable close-quarters specialist relying on razor claws, venomous stingers, ink spray, camouflage, and all manner of cunning and deadly evolutions co-opted from the natural world. Preparation and quick thinking are key, because it is often necessary to revert mutations and force new ones in their place to stay on top of things - that scorpion tail won't do a whole lot against a skeleton warrior, but a turtle shell would be handy for enduring its attacks.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 7, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The in game chat also reports all player deaths with humorously lurid little death messages, so there's that :haw:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was thinking it would be neat to design a "possessed by Lovecraftian horrorterrors" class powered by Vim - lots of Demon and Horror summons, plenty of midrange nuking, debuffs, and AoEs - but I don't know if I have the patience or discipline to learn all the modding stuff I'd need :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was actually thinking Equilibrium + Vim, not because they actually use any nature powers, but because many of their best powers are so virulently profane and unnatural that using them too much causes Nature to get really pissed off and actively rebel against their magic because HEY YOU, YEAH YOU, YOU DON'T BELONG HERE YOU ABOMINATION.

• Locked thread