Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

dhamster posted:

From old thread:

I tweaked up the table with photoshop to reflect these changes. Let me know if anything else needs fixing!

I'm sure other people will find any other changes if there any, but that's all I know. Nice OP.

I have a question: does anyone know if focus smacks scale, and if they do with what stat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

FuriousGeorge posted:

For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

There's grandmaster trainers/promotions in random corners of the world who make you do quests for them before they'll train you, obelisks, a bajillion side dungeons, "dangerous caves" (minibosses), shipwrecks off the coast, secret doors, puzzles and riddles and poo poo, and the usual random chests/lootables and color barrels. The actual Act 3 stuff was probably 4-5 hours, but I spent 25-30 in it.

Dahbadu posted:

So I decided to try and build a Destiny+Evade focused party. I'm playing on Warrior difficulty.

I'm rocking about 35 Evade at level 4, but I'm getting hit a lot fighting Kenshi in the Light House. Should I expect this throughout the game, or will it get to a point where I find myself evading lots of attacks?

It'll get better. I'm pretty sure it compares attack value to evade, so if you look at Kenshi they have 50 attack value, which is miles ahead of everything else at that point.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Where is the detect secrets companion? I feel like I should have found them by now.

He's just north of Lord Kilburn in a cage, surrounded by blackfang. I didn't find him until a lot later because I put a DONT loving GO HERE tag on the map after getting destroyed by the dudes.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

He definitely can only get expert focus, I've got a crusader I'm pretending is a holy paladin right now, and I really wish he could level it up more.

Edit: You might be looking at your rune priest, who has that stuff, but can't learn warfare.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 28, 2014

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

I did the Lighthouse after killing a few things in the wild after the spider lair. I was lvl5 by the time I got to the top and the boss. I didn't really have any problems until the boss, and once I had my good run he was easy. Knowing I should have done the bandits first kind of changes my perspective though, I'll keep that in mind for my next playthrough. Which, given my need to have a party I'm perfectly comfortable with, begins right now.

The thing to realize is everyone is still filling their own niche at that point. Nobody is hitting anything, evasion tanks can't evade, crusaders can't heal, dagger bladedancers hit twice instead of 384034803 times, etc. I would be a bit less quick to dismiss your parties as poo poo so soon. Having said that, spider queen wrecks 95/100 groups, because you don't have jackall to deal with her yet. It's why they give you Maximus so you have free blocks, because that battle is ALWAYS potion chugging while the other 3 wail haplessly.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I want to keep my Blade Dancer specced to daggers. One I got his dagger skill up he did some really reliable melee damage and had decent survivability as well. Since I want to manage mana as little as possible, I'd like another physical striker but I'm not interested in ranged. Since my Blade Dancer will, from what I hear, have trouble with heavy armoured enemies, I'd like my second melee guy to be good at taking them down. I remember hearing about Orcs with spears being good at that? I'd like this guy to be my tank, too.

Both barbarians and hunters use spears to GM, which ignore 50% of armor at master. That, stacked with shatter armor from warfare or the acid splash earth spell should do well. I have a hunter/bladedancer combo right now and they fluctuate on who does the most damage, pretty much aligned with the armor of who they are hitting. As far as who is better hitting things, barbarians can get 2h GM which negates blocks, while hunters get their promotion abilities.

Mr Scumbag posted:

To add yet another question, I'd also like an idea of how best to handle mana in the early game. Is it really better to chug potions, or should I invest heavily into spirit and the skill that adds % to your mana? All I can say is that I pumped everything into spirit for my casters up to lvl 5 last time and I still felt like I was running out way too much. The only time I ever needed to rest was to restore mana, and never for health.

On my second playthrough, I went vit 1/spirit 3 on my two casters, and it was definitely the right call. Magic really doesn't make that big of a difference early. 2% of 20 is a fat stack of jackall. I switched to magic 2/vit 1/spirit 1 when I got above 150. I wouldn't just switch to magic when you hit 150 like the math says, because you'll be drinking pots every 3 turns when you start casting high mana spells, which is just plain annoying.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

edit2: jesus christ someone please help me out with the dodge trainer :( at least tell me whether she's supposed to be out in the open or in the woods or something

There's a 3 little tower things, you might have passed one and tried to use it and nothing happened. You have to chase a gal from each one. I think the first is in Shadow Woods, and the other two are in Yon-chall and the jungle. To clarify, the towers are unusable when she's not there.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Bussamove posted:

My melee are also Barbarian and Bladedancer. Barbarian started out really slow but is not reliably taking off 1/4-1/3 of an enemies HP a hit, and Bladedancer has been ridiculously good for some time now. I desperately need some relic daggers though, I haven't been able to find any no matter how hard I look.

I'm looking for them too. There's one relic dagger in the files, but nobody so far that I can tell knows where it is. Your best bet is to just get blue damage+aoe daggers. You get 7 strikes with GM dagger and GM dual wield, so I highly doubt relentless is better damage.

Kanos posted:

The intro has almost nothing to do with anything you do during the game. It's a huge overwrought reference to HoMM6 that can be almost entirely ignored or skipped and not actually miss anything that's going on in M&MX.

Yeah, the intro is basically a "this game is set right after Heroes 6!!!!!" Since the Eclipse is over, the plots really don't have much to do with each other, other than characters popping in and references and poo poo.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I never found any relic daggers. Two relic 1h swords though, which makes for a nice sword-based blade dancer. The starmetal-based sword you can get really quickly, while the one from the obelisk reward takes some time.

The relic distribution is a little odd. I don't know who would realistically use the relic two-handed swords or axes, since there isn't a class really suitable for it. Both blade masters and rangers could appreciate relic daggers, but I never found one. I did find a relic spear and a relic 1h axe, but they both come relatively late in the game. Those went on my defender and marauder. Don't think I ever saw a relic 2h mace, which is odd, considering barbarians would love it.

A couple of relic 2h staves. The one on the third floor of the tower north of karthal is really easy to miss, and quite good. Got my druid to expert magical focus so he could use it, and just left his skill there.

There is a 2h mace relic, it's just really late in the game. The 2h swords and axes are for mercs. I used the 2h sword on mine, and it was pretty much the sole reason why she even did alright damage.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

They do pretty awful damage. I had merc/barbarian/scout/druid as my first playthrough, so I saw what a proper 2hander damage dude could do, and what a hybrid could pull off, and it's pretty damning. I built her with the intent of critting free 2h swings, and the only reason why she did any damage worth speaking of was GM warfare. I'd have to say it's probably the most disappointing class I've played so far. You can't really overcome 125% damage loss even if you build around it.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The mace grandmaster is shark who plays the broom guitar if you wait long enough. It's reason enough to pick maces over spears with a barbarian.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Two handed maces do more base damage than spears do (on the item), which is going to scale better, but unless you're going to have the crit to frequently proc a stun, 50% armor reduction is going to be a lot more valuable to you on everything other than mages. They get a 5% bonus from expert mace, and extra crit from destiny off of master 2h, so it's not that hard. My barbarian mostly avoided destiny, and I should have gone spears instead, but he still did pretty strong damage.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenous ghouls are particularly hard because you're tempted to do them earlier than you should. Most of the promotion quests aren't possible until post-blessing of air, but you can get the bits necessary for crusader as soon as you have access to karthal. The other area they show up with frequency is lost city 3, which is really poorly numbered, because you can actually got from 2 -> 4 and 4 is roughly as difficult as 2. 3 is the holding place for a specific quest's miniboss: The Curse.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

Barbarian is kinda poo poo until you upgrade him to Marauder and that could take a while. Druids are poo poo altogether, get a runepriest instead.

Druids are pretty much the exact opposite of poo poo. Nurture and GM water are much better support than GM light. Nurture is 1 action for 4 direct heals over 4 turns. It's a superHoT that full heals whatever it targets. GM water has liquid membrane (25% damage reduction for 10 turns is easily achievable), tsunami (aoe knockback for hard hitting poo poo), and -1 attacks baked into their damage, which can drastically lower damage output of anything that attacks more than once.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

There's chef (+10% stats), dog (secrets), treasure hunter (LOOT LOOT LOOT), appraiser (if you somehow don't have expert prime), and the doctor (actionless debuff dispels). There's probably a few other good ones that I'm forgetting.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You make 3 block attempts against 3 attacks, and after that you're vulnerable, whether you blocked all 3 or failed all attempts. Defender's promotion explicitly allows blocks to keep going like you're saying until you have actually BLOCKED 3 attacks.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Daggers also have a very high crit damage percent while low damage, so critting more often is going to get your flurry of pool noodle thwaps into foam LARP sword territory at least. Daggers have 70% crit damage, compared to swords and spears at 50%.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Daggers have the benefit of much more damage from mandate of heaven or agony, and they eat blocks for the rest of your swings or any of your other characters. 7 swings against 4 block attempts is at most 4 blocks and 3 hits, followed by unblocked allies. 3 sword swings is at most 3 blocks, and 1 block left over for your hunter to whiff to. Swords get two relics, which do more much higher base damage than daggers. I'm just about at act 4 with my second party, which features a dagger blademaster, and he's still hitting things for half their health, so if it does fall off, it's got to be like at the last dungeon if at all.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

Speaking of which, where's the detect secrets hireling?

He's in a cage just north of Lord Kilburn in Yon-chall. Watch out for blackfang.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Agony and Mandate of Heaven off of paladin bump damage up like mad on anyone who does more than 1 attack. I really don't even know if there's a reason to have both in the same party, one plus a dagger blademaster is already such insane levels of damage.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Machado de Assis posted:

I'm a huge fan of the old ones and I'm really happy that MM X has turned out to be worthy of the name, but I do wish they had kept this sort of area gating with enemy difficulty rather than gating via story progress and/or dragon blessings, part of the fun for me used to be going into areas I had no business being in and seeing what I could pull off without dying.

There's two non-"oh poo poo I shouldn't be here" gates: blessing of water and blessing of air. You get blessing of water pretty early; blessing of air takes a bit, but it also only really gates two areas, both of which are lousy with promotion quests. The former is gained so early I wouldn't say it impedes on your ability to wander wherever, but it's unfortunate some potential high value rush material is gated that way. You can't really beeline for the shard of air either, since it's got a pretty hard-limit on entry: Skull Rock, which requires the passcode from the shipwreck dude, all main quest progression stuff.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

If it makes you feel better when you brighten up all the squares, then there is a need. That's how I rationalize it to myself as I waste 10 minutes backtracking to step on the last piece of an empty pier.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Nope, you pretty much figured out your issue. One vitality a level is pretty good, so figure out where you should be from that and play catch up. Expert endurance is also nice on anyone you can afford to get that on. Eventually you're going to want some arcane discipline probably. My second game I had 3 characters at AD master and one at expert. It'll really help against a bunch of the bigger thumps you run across.

To your edit: it might not look it, but that 1-2 armor increase is still going to help. Every slot should be filled on all of your characters by then, and if you're at seahaven you should have fancy weapons on everyone too.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I've played through it twice, so it's definitely not a launch Bethesda game or something, but I would still wait for a patch to fix some issues if you're not already playing.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the trick to him is to pull him back the first time, and then when he teleports somewhere, keep on the diagonal until you're right next to him. If he gets a free melee hit, it doesn't matter because he's a gigantic melee-puss.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Relics don't break from what I can tell, or there is some other force at work (later tier items have higher durability), because I repaired maybe a half dozen times total over both of my playthroughs, most of which were in act 1 - early 2. I had spare weapons for everyone in case of breaking, but by the time I did that I never had anything break again.

edit: also yeah it's dumb gently caress broken items

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The problem with two bladedancers is evasion is infinitely better when you can stack it, and relics are unique (hurr). If you had two they'd both be squishier, and if you had one there's less of a reason to have a defender.

As for utility, there's only really shatter, whatever that silence thing is called, and splashed regen or heal for utility from your primary melee-ers. Your bladedancer is going to want a decent amount of mana anyway so he can use his promotion ability, which covers your warfare utility. Honestly, I'd just take another facebreaker. Your rune priest can heal your freemage in case he goes down, so you really already have all your bases covered.

• Locked thread