Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The real question is, could Arale beat Saitama?

Saitama's just budget Luckyman anyway so yes. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing with shonen stories is that they're built around three archetypes: Effort, Victory and Friendship. Each of the three archetypes used to be given some form of equal weight in shonen stories and heroes fell into one or the other. They're the three pillars of Jump (and defined as such. Japanese fans are all about Jump being about Friendship, Victory and Effort) but Dragonball and a few other series really started to skew them heavily towards either Friendship or Victory with Effort being primarily kept for sports stories. (And sometimes not even then.) It's unfortunate because a lot of the best characters tend to fall into Effort archetypes but because certain series got so popular that sort of thing ended up being devalued and a lot of time now Effort-type characters are minor supporting characters who rarely get to do anything.

One Punch Man is kind of a parody of this trend actually. One Punch Man himself is 'technically' an Effort-Type character but he functions exactly like an over-the-top parody of Victory-type characters while the true Effort-type character struggles along constantly. (In a related note, One Punch Man itself is basically following in the shoes of Luckyman, a popular parody manga which lampooned Jump tropes, and rumored to be written by the same person responsible for Death Note and Bakuman.) It's kind of been a recognized trend for a long while but, y'know, Victory-type characters sell so why bother doing anything else?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's probably the funniest usage of Ghost Nappa besides the punchline, too. ...Was that the last time Ghost Nappa showed up? I don't remember him saying anything during the Ginyu or Frieza fights.

He's a Hollywood producer now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm enjoying this. It isn't as straight-up funny as the Freeza arc but the Android Trio are great to watch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I really want a game where I can play these sayans though, holy gently caress. A beat-em-up RPG or something.

Good news! There's a long-running RPG franchise with designs like that!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

More than anything, the image just leaves me asking myself "What the hell is going on with the stance the bottom fem-Saiyan is trying to cut?"

She's mastering the ultimate technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoaTeGSlLg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think the Saiyan saga is that bad but it really only starts to hit its stride once the Saiyans show up on Earth and it starts going uphill from there. They get better once they stop trying to cram a joke in every second, basically, and start focusing on character-humor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Vegeta didn't kill a single person from Earth until the Buu Saga, outside of filler and possibly his and Nappa's landing on Earth.

I am not even kidding.

He murdered an entire village of Namekians pretty fuckin' gleefully.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That one felt a little weak to me although the ending was pretty good. A bit too straightfaced and not particularly funny.

Admittedly they've only got so much to work with and this is a pretty dull point in the story where not a lot happens and most of the big money characters are MIA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

As Goku's enemy, you only die once.

I'm pretty sure Freeza alone disproves that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

Why did Toriyama name him Mr. Satan? He had to of known the negative connotation associated with that name. Or was that part of the joke?

That was the joke. His daughter's name is an anagram of Devil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Dragon Ball had to have made Toriyama pretty wealthy, right? I imagine him to be pretty much the George Lucas of manga/anime (franchise ruining connotations aside).

No, because that would involve them not completely screwing over the creator. He didn't do bad off of it but he probably has seen only a small fraction of the money DBZ ever made. A reminder that Lucas is worth in the Billions with a B.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe recovering from high cholesterol based heart failure will make him smarter.

It's no weirder than training in 100x gravity letting him read Krillin's mind.

Speaking of which, where's Vegeta's telepathy? Dude trained in 500x gravity.

Muffin button!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku never killed anyone. Except for Buu but he got reincarnated so it's okay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Piccolo also got reincarnated. :colbert:

WhiffleballDude posted:

And King Piccolo. And all his kids minus Piccolo Jr. And Grandpa Gohan.

How quickly one forgets Cymbal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Cymbal was killed (and eaten) by Yajirobe. Goku killed Drum.

That was the point I made, yes. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mans posted:

I'm so confused by what you people are talking about.

What the hell are the multiple universes of Dragonball, what are you talking about.

Also, how come there's zero good Dragonball games on PC :smith:

There's a fan-made comic which is a bunch of alternate-dimension DBZ characters fighting each other called Dragonball Multiverse. I found it entirely unreadable myself because it's a bunch of basically-identical characters talking at each other in extremely broken and incoherent English and often incomprehensible art but YMMV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Calling it "extremely broken English," especially by the standards of a forum where people read bootleg, hastily-translated Japanese comics on the reg, is way much.

I'll agree to the rest, though. At least they stopped letting truly terrible people draw guest chapters. Really, how much you're going to like it is determined mostly by how much you like the what-if concept.

"Did you subscribe Gotenks?" "Yes we did!" is the definition of broken English.

I'm also fond of the not-quite-wrong-but-close-enough "Did you think you scare us with your crazily gigantic telekinesis powers?!"

I'm capable of puzzling out what it means more often than not but it's still pretty goddamn bad.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDrone posted:

A show where a insect android sucks the life out of a old man right in front of you and pink genie's turn into vomit and force themselves down a dude's throat till he explodes.

I'm pretty sure both those things happened on Adventure Time!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah, Goku's a straight-up terrible person. He has zero empathy for anyone who isn't directly related to him, or at least not when it gets in the way of his own fun or excitement. He genuinely cares more about a good fight than he does about the people who get their poo poo wrecked unless they are close friends of his.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's true. Dragonball had a robot that could beat Freeza and the other Androids with no effort at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku is basically Gon from HxH with less self-aware irony. (I wouldn't say none, but less.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

For all of the poo poo he's gone through, Gohan's has a relatively stable family situation and a lot of good friends. He is also (sadly) probably not even old enough to realize how hilariously terrible his life has been.

And then he got like a decade of peace to mellow out post Cell, so you know, that helped.

I don't know, his friends are like, The Literal Devil, a bald monk his father's age, a green alien and... that's about it. He could use someone his own age at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it just me or can you all tell how old Krillin is from his design? 'cuz I remember back when I first watched DBZ and Namek was mostly about Krillin and Gohan hanging out together, I never had a clue Krillin was way older than Gohan.

Krillin's design from Dragonball is way way younger looking than his design from Draognball Z.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel worst for Goten. There's a kid who Dad did just not give the smallest poo poo about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Torix posted:

He's a member of a race bred and programmed to fight, sent to Earth to fight, raised as a child by a fighter, trained by several of the Earth's best fighters, and fought some of the Earth's OTHER best fighters. Then everyone's surprised that in his adult life he continues to fight.

On the other hand, Vegeta actually does a significantly better job than Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Vegeta also doesn't have a confirmed pure, innocent heart that lets him fly on a cloud.

Being pure of heart doesn't mean you're also not kind of a shithead about a lot of things!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like to imagine it is a old school video game text prompt.

>LOOK ALIENS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

No one else Goku fought could do that. Clearly, Yamcha was so strong he could literally break the fourth wall, but he used all his energy in that attack.

Uh, excuse me?

:colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect that is the best part of that movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cozz posted:

It is, I guess I personally just think that condensing it into two minutes and still hitting most of the same story beats was hilarious for the Sayian Saga. I think a two minute long parody of this season would probably feel rushed, but I think it would have been interesting to see.

I really don't think it would have been possible. Think of how much stuff they skipped in a few seconds, like the entire Ginyu Force. I can't see anywhere they really could have trimmed things except a few jokes where the entire point was the slowed-down pace.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's going to be Radditz.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The way I saw it, humans get more out of training, but Saiyans have reduced training results to balance out their zenkai boosts(this being how the humans are able fight Saibamen after training with Kami, and the Ginyu Force after training with King Kai[filler, I know]). Mixing it, you get both.

It is sort of weird to realize that with a year's training Krillin went from getting effortlessly owned to killing multiple Radditz with a single attack but it isn't really treated as very impressive.

Not Yamcha though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Yamcha got King Kai's symbol? He never wore the orange gi after the Namek saga.

I don't know about the symbol but he totally wore it when he got Android'd. TFS made a joke about it even.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I felt kinda the same way when he killed Future 17 and 18. (man, Meredith McCoy was such a great Eighteen... I miss her)

It kinda irks me there is no real explanation for why the 17 and 18 we know are the chillest characters in the series while Future 17 and 18 are homicidal maniacs. Normal 18 would never be going "I HATE YOU!!!!"

Prevailing theories seem to be Gero made some last-minute modifications to them that totally screwed up their brains or simply that, with Goku dead, they went into a nihilistic frenzy. There was nothing left for them to do in this world so they just had to try and entertain themselves the best they could.

17 and 18 were complete shitheads even in the original timeline, they just got a giant wakeup call in the face of Cell. Well, 18 did at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A 6 hour trip for a 90 minute movie seems a bit excessive but I guess if you're having fun with it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Has Xenoverse ever been confirmed for America? Also, is it going to be another MMO? With it coming to consoles, I question it a little.

They were showing it off at E3 so odds are fairly good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy the idea that Krillin accidentally invented the most absurdly good attack in existence, good enough that everyone who sees it needs to steal it, but he'll never get credit for doing so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Is that Ginyu Force background canon? I think it came from one of those quasi-canonical sources like Dragon Ball Online/Heroes, but it sounds so loving stupid. Like I get that Toriyama is trying to retcon humor into DBZ as much as possible but that's like Tenchi Muyo level poo poo.

Are you suggesting that the Ginyu Force, the guys who were a parody of a wacky sentai team who struck poses and acted silly and who they gave a heroic theme song to, are perhaps not the most serious characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I don't even know why he went back in time. He said that doing so won't fix HIS timeline, only ONE timeline out of a possible infinite variations.

Seems like a waste of valuable resources to me.

I assumed he wanted an excuse to meet his dad and hey, he can do a solid for another timeline in the process, maybe pick up some tips.

• Locked thread