Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Just as a reminder, today is the release of Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z for PS3, Vita, and 360 in North America. It's the newest DBZ game and its big feature is you're able to have a team of up to 4 people and this team can consist of any character. These characters including 4 Gokus (All different forms), Freezas, Cells, etc. It's also going to feature Bills and Whis from the new movie, so if you want to get a hear of their English voices for whenever Funimation dubs the movie, it'll be there. There's a demo out if you want to give it a shot, it's basically like the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games in that's a 3D style, although it's presented more as a beat 'em up style game than a fighting one. It's okay from what I've played of the demo, fights are pretty fun and hectic when you've managed to fill out both teams and the game has a ton of characters for you to mess around with.

If you have a Vita you can get it for about 31 bucks this week.

I didn't even know this was coming, so thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Prison Warden posted:

I played the Battle of Z demo a week or so ago, and I thought it was pretty good, so I contemplated buying it, so I looked it up on XBox Live. £45? Hahahahahahaha.

I'm phone posting so I can't run a currency conversion right now, but that sounds about right for a new release on the 360. Are new games normally cheaper in £?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I really hope there's a steelbook release of Battle of Gods and whatever the next one is so that my DBZ movie collection will look right...

That or they just release Dragon Box The Movies in america. That would work too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MH Knights posted:

Oh hey, Battle of Gods is playing at my local theater. Maybe I should do what TFS says and support the official release.

It's pretty darn good.

That said, it's been so long since I've actually watched DBZ that I was taken out a bit by the lack of TFS voices. Thankfully my inner child reasserted itself after about 5 minutes and I was fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gildiss posted:

I managed to get it to play alright in Firefox, but with Chrome it refused.

In contrast, I had absolutely zero issue with watching the video through Chrome. Just had to pause it and let it buffer for about 15 seconds and it worked just fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I would be more excited for Xenoverse if it didn't look like every single character was made of glossy plastic and illuminated by floodlight...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of the SSJ3 transformation...there's 2 ways TFS can play that when they get to it...either keep it right at the original length and go crazy with the screaming....or have it be the quickest and easiest transformation ever. Either would be hilarious...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Which of this week's Xbox Live Gold discounted DBZ games should I get, Ultimate Tenkaichi, or Battle of Z?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If the HD collection thing with Budokai 3 is on sale too, definitely grab that. B3 isn't very deep but it's stupidly fun.

Looks like the Gold Deals are just BoZ and UT. I'm sorely tempted...but I would actually have to buy a month of Gold to take advantage. I'd still be saving a bunch of money on the game, but it becomes a question of :effort:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I rewatched Battle of Gods last night...I'm continued to be impressed by the voice work of Beerus. What a perfect blend of posh and malevolent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So does Battle of Z seriously not just have a versus mode of some kind where I can just set up a battle of a character of my choice against a CPU enemy? Is it all pre-selected character mission modes?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

I might be mis-remembering this, but you unlock it after the tutorial, I think?

Did all the tutorial stuff; I can battle online, but there's no offline modes other than missions. Googleing a bit corroborates...I really wasted my $20

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I need to know right the gently caress now what this means.

The big giant super-muscles forms that are useless for actual fighting, I think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, this looks really dumb......in the same way that DBZ itself is dumb, which means I am all for it and can't wait. I wonder if you'll get to go through GT fights too...Yeah, there's SSJ4 characters to play as, but I wonder if they even bothered to do the whole SAVE HISTORY thing with the Shadow Dragons and Super 17 and the like, or if they're gonna stop at Beerus.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beerus is in the game. GT is triple un-canon.

Then why do we have GT-only characters at all?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

Yes, because blond hair is basically the clark kent glasses.

I do like that Gohan ends up with a pair of secret identities. And isn't there someone who doesn't believe that tournament Saiyaman is the same as actual Saiyaman because he has to swap out the helmet for a bandanna?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

"It means God....now bow!" is a BADASS Piccolo moment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Firstborn posted:

I remember there used to be this awesome website in the twilight of the internet which had a list of every attack done in DB and DBZ, and there were a lot of attacks like that. Not so much like "Leave my Daddy Alone", but about 50 different variations of Kamehameha that needed their own entry like "Homing Kamehameha Shot From Feet" (complete with Japanese name) and stuff like that. I can't even imagine trying to find it.

Something like this list, but for every character, and done on an Angelfire website where the background tile was the collected dragon balls: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_techniques_used_by_Goku
E: Or this http://www.myfavoritegames.com/dragonball-z/info/attacklist/0-b.htm In fact, judging from the entry for Feet Kamehameha, I'm pretty sure someone took that list and added pictures.

I remember that site..."The Ultimate DBZ Information Page" I think it was called. I'm sad that it never got preserved.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

facebook jihad posted:

Was that the Greg Werner site? It still exists...in a form where a bunch of the links are broken

http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html

Speaking of old websites, I used to love one called DBZ Uncensored that detailed most of the edits from the dubbed TV version. The humor wasn't very good, but the information was pretty detailed. I think he quit after the Freeza saga though.

Oh man...thank you so much for this. Instant nostalgia trip!

EDIT: For your next challenge, there was a DBZ site I frequented back in the day that had a black background, lots of sprite art, and a whole bunch of DBZ trivia quizzes, grouped by theme (like Movies, GT, Buu Saga, etc). Know what that one is?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Firstborn posted:

So apparently if you have an Xbox 1, you can go ahead and download the English version of Xenoverse right now if you want:

Step: change region to hong kong
2.redeem your HK market points [sadly you gotta grab a 600HK card] 75-83 bucks
3.before download make sure you have a billing info
4 download it off the HK market
5. WHEN FINISHED DELETE IT
6.RESTORE XBOX TO NORMAL ENG SETTINGS
7.now click manage game over the download queue
8. you will notice it says install even for it says feb 24th
9. if the loading screen has no Chinese letters on it then you did it

This is a C&P from WeedlordGoku.geocities.dbzclubhouse.net or whatever, and I'm not even going to try to parse what it means, but there you go if you are interested.

Oh. well that's much less exciting than I was hoping. I thought they just straight up released it on the US shop early.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rudoku posted:

They'd have to have at least blue Majins, since that's what color mama Buu is.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Miss_Buu

Man...i followed some links from that page and ended up at the "Love-Love Beam"

what the christ posted:

Love-Love Beam is a technique Majin Buu and his wife Miss Buu used to create their child, Baby Buu, in Age 791.[1] The two parents tore many pieces from various parts of their body, mixed them together, and birthed life into the dumpling-shaped pieces by firing the beam into it.

Oh, and need I mention that Miss Buu was expelled from Fat Buu? So its some weird half-incest half-masturbation baby.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just how Android-ized were Lapis and Lazuli to turn them into 17 and 18? Like, did they get a wolverine-treatment to give them metal bones and that's it? Or are they more machine than human? Obviously 18 still had a good bit of organic systems left...which raises it's own set of questions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Don't get anything of Z that's in 16:9. The series was originally produced and broadcast in 4:3, and every widescreen set has accomplished this widescreening by way of chopping off the top and bottom of the image, leaving a 16:9 image behind. It's the inverse of those old pan-and-scan full screen movie releases.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mabels big day posted:

playing the dragonball game has me wanting to watch some of the show. I never saw anything after the Cell saga, or anything before DBZ. Between the maijin buu saga, the old school dragon ball episodes, and the movie, which should I watch first?

Battle of Gods is good fun. Its the campy fun of old Dragonball with a couple of great Z-style fights thrown in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man...I am so weirded out by the insane Dragon Ball revival of the last few years. The franchise was more or less over and done, other than a handful of video games, but then suddenly we get American Dragon Boxes, two theatrical releases, a whole mess of higher-budget video games, one of which included a remaster of an ancient OVA. This series has some insane legs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
All the movies are non-canon to the series, so if you want to follow just the actual canon you can skip them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has it gotten an English release at all? Or is it Japanese only?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
GT has the same problem the later entries in the Star Wars EU had. Everyone was getting older, comments were made about handing things off to a younger generation, but the stories kept revolving around the same cast with only lip service being paid to the kids and grandkids.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sharkopath posted:

The best part was definitely Kai driving around his little planet for dramatic effect though.

That might be my favorite gag in all of dragon ball.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Firstborn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD7N-4f_JRY
This was posted in the Xenoverse boards, thought I should share. It's some Battle of the Gods scenes with the VA shown during the action. Some of their expressions and stuff are so adorable... Goku's VA (name escapes me) is so into it, it somehow makes me like him more.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite bonus features ever. Sean Schemmel just really gives it his all when he's screaming his head off. And they picked an amazing Beerus.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nope. He's elderly in GT and wishes for Goku to become a child. This wish for his own youth is offscreen between Z and Battle of Gods.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You needed 6 super saiyins to make a Super Saiyin god and Pan apparently counted even though she was a fetus. Even if you ignore the SSJ requirement that baby is apparently still stronger than Tarble because Vegeta says he'd be too weak to help them with the ritual.

You just needed 6 Saiyans, not exclusively super ones. And I thought Vegeta said Tarble was too far away, not that he was too weak?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The press release calls this the 19th feature film...I feel like I'm missing some. There were 13 movies prior to Battle of Gods, so Resurrection F would make 15? Even counting the two TV specials and that one Yo Son Goku and Friends thing (Which I don't think has ever been dubbed?), that only makes 18...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spiritus Nox posted:

By the two TV specials, you mean both of the Bardock features?

I forgot about Episode of Bardock. I was counting the old Bardock: Father of Goku special and History of Trunks.

Was Episode of Bardock considered a feature film?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah there were 4 Dragon Ball movies, so Battle of Gods would've been the 18th.

Ahhh, that explains it. I always forget about those; they're one of the few Dragon Ball things I don't own...weren't they just literal condensed plot lines from the show?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd really like to see a collected release of all the smaller DBZ extras of late...I know Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans came with Raging Blast 2, and Episode of Bardock came with DBZ Kinect...but there's been no official american release of Yo Son Goku and Friends. They should bundle the 3 of those together and sell it!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xibanya posted:

Has Episode of Bardock been dubbed in English? I'm very curious about the voices for the little Saiyans and Chilled. They can't possibly be better than what the abridged series served up.

Also my guess is that there's a rights issue with Yo! Son Goku and his friends return, wasn't that a Jump thing? Might belong to sueisha instead of Toei or something.

Episode of Bardock was apparently a pack in with all copies of Dragon Ball Z for Kinect...which explains why nobody has it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One of my favorite small Dragonball details is that everyone has their own flying pose. I'm rewatching Abridged and just noticed that Zarbon flies in T-pose

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

I think they said a while ago that they won't do it because seriously gently caress that noise

Hopefully by the end of Z they'll change their mind...I mean, I plan on rewatching GT at some point, just because there are some good nuggets in that sea of aggressive mediocrity....but it'd be nice if TFS would find all those nuggets for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Dragonball Heroes seems to have a whole bunch of cool stuff in it, like adult Gotenks, and SSJ4 Broly and the like...is there a better way than low quality YouTube videos to watch all the cutscenes from Heroes? Any fully up to date compilations?

• Locked thread