Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah whenever I caught kai on tv I always wound up quitting after like 10 minutes because I just spent the whole time going "Thats not Gohan/Bulma/Freeza/Cell/Hercule!"

Piss Sodastream posted:

Agreed. Biggest complaint about dbzkai thus far is the voice actors aren't the same.

god forbid they try to make a garbage dub into something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I've got a totally different view of Dodoria now too. I used to think he was with Freeza all the time, he must be WAY stronger than Vegeta back when he came to earth! But no, when Vegeta kills Cui (his equal in power before), as soon as Dodoria is alone with him and is terrified of Vegeta, so those three were probably all approximate equals before the whole Dragonball dealio. I wonder what gave me that first impression anyway?

Dodoria is one of the biggest jabs the series takes at power levels. He's got a higher power level than vegeta but since he's one of frieza's guards he never fights at all and easily got wrecked by a well trained martial artist like vegeta.

Also being fat probably doesn't help.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Movie 7 takes place in the timeline where trunks killed the present androids with the remote then returned to the future to be killed by cell. So I guess that makes it canon?

Mister Roboto posted:

The others, you have to do some pretty serious fanwank to explain the inconsistent behaviors and contradictions.

By that logic that rules out movie 13.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Sure, Bills may blow up planets, but that is his job.

I'm pretty sure that hasn't been a valid excuse since 1946.

Dragonatrix posted:

Which is kinda weird if you think about it for a moment. He went back to his own time, beat 17 & 18 only to eventually get taken down by Cell absolutely effortlessly... and Cell at that point was weaker than the 17 and 18 from the past. Which is fair enough normally, but Trunks gets strong enough to be able to handle them before going back to his own time. :psyduck:

Trunks used the remote to kill the androids in that future. Also there's no actual evidence of any strength difference between the present and future androids since trunks can't sense their power.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 6, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Well that timeline's earth is going to be hosed the minute Bojack sells/takes over the planet.

Bojack can't escape until one of the kais die.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Isn't Bills essentially a mystical force of nature? That would be a little different.

He seems to have a lot of agency in the film, so no.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Except now he's gonna get beat to death by a pissed off zarbon since this is the universe where Frieza won.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Supersonic Warriors 2 has a what-if story wherein Broly gets amnesia and becomes Hercule's kung fu partner and they become kung fu action hero buddies.

Holy gently caress, I need to beat that game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I like to think goku could have gone Super Saiyan 2 against cell but he knew that wasn't enough. So he figured he wouldn't try and discourage Gohan any further since he was already pretty reluctant as was.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

It was basically exactly what happened in the Freeza fight, with the exception that Goku could still take on 100% Freeza.

Yeah except Freeza didn't have to murder, or atleast appear to, anyone to obtain 100% power.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bowmore posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Who is Luffy?

It's you. You're the strawhat captain.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So are any of the DBZ movies actually, ya know, good?

Watch movie 5,6,9, and 12 that's basically the greatest hits.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squallege posted:

I don't remember but did Piccolo even bother to show up?

Piccolo died of uselessness after movie 9.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squallege posted:

Skip the two pointless Namek specials that are still going.

I don't think that's how skipping works.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The ridiculous leaps in power wouldn't have been that bad if Frieza had actually been the last villain. Then it'd just be toryiama just pushing things to the limit for a big finish.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The first episode episode of DBZ was mostly filler, to give you an idea.

and the third to last was 100% filler. Months after the manga had finished.

Kild posted:

DragonBall Kai has Freiza spirit bomb take 1 episode but in the original it was like 5 or 6.

It was only two episodes but it started at the end of a third one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Spirit Bomb was always the worst because it took forever and didn't loving work.

It had an 90%~ success rate in the movies, though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

infiltration baby

Is toryiama performing historical whitewashing on his own comic?

It's not an extermination guys, It's just infiltration.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

On one hand I'm glad they're no longer just shoving in songs from the original with little forethought. On the otherhand because of this gt reject sounding score we're probably not going to get something cool like the orchestral version of dragon soul playing for the final spirit bomb.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh yeah you guys do realize the first new episode came out almost 3 days ago? Right? Right?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Elfgames posted:

Chumps don't get otherworld training.

There had to be a reason they used people like vegeta to purge some of them instead of just chucklefucks with arm-blasters.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

He was basically just languishing about in front of the tv immediately post-cell if you take movie 9 as canon(which it is and I will fight you if you disagree).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Would Vegeta have won if he didn't turn into a giant monkey?

Goku says that Vegeta's power dropped quite a bit making that false moon so gohan and krillin showing up wouldn't have helped as much if Vegeta still had most of his stamina.

Then again the only reason the Giant Monkey thing backfired was because Vegeta was completely unaware of the existence of Yajirobe.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm disappointed they wasted the dick punching joke one movie before it actually happens.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe this was a preparation for it.

Vegeta's running gag was fantastic, but the movie was pretty incoherent. Does the source material make any more sense?

it's the best of all the dbz movies :colbert:.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vegito was goofing around on purpose so he could get absorbed though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RickoniX posted:

I have to say the only thing they cut I missed from Cooler movie was the part where Cooler knows Instant Transmission for no god damned reason

Obviously the big ghetto star visited yadarat :rip:.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Webbeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp60avoyT9k

English Theatrical trailer for the Battle of Gods movie.

i like how all the fight scenes are from the worst looking parts

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MastG posted:

At least the new version of Earth's Special Forces is set to look absolutely amazing.

I can't wait for it's release date in never.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Does Piccolo give a good showing in any of the DBZ movies, or is he stuck in the Pit of Irrelevance with all the other non-Saiyans? Because Piccolo was the best when I was ten, and I'm pretty sure it's still true. :colbert:

Movie 2 and 7 are pretty much it.

Except he arguably did a better job against the bad guy in movie 9 than vegeta did.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What is up with DBZ fans and caring about the lamest peripheral parts of this super sweet comic thats full of cool drawings of monsters, boobs, and sweet old masters doing magic poo poo.

Autism, I'd assume.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The main character of Zeta Gundam.

Let's just say that the Gundam franchise is very divided on the quality of any given entry and leave it at that.

nobody sane has ever said anything bad about G-gundam.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay I was thinking maybe I was just confusing it with GT (shudder) but then I came across this

Vegeta is a late bloomer.

Silynt posted:

It just totally sums up their whole relationship (on DBZA. Obviously they overplay the whole Goku is a Bad Dad thing vs. the original)

Actually Toryiama did an interview stating goku doesn't really percieve his family as anything more than companions like krillin and co.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They might as well stop for the cell saga since keeping it from jumping the shark for 60+ episodes would probably be a herculean effort and they're not really obligated to perform one of those.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sure, the fight wasn't great, but I'd really just love to see another movie with them hanging out with the usual cast for the majority of the movie.

Yeah but that's kind of a problem when it's like 7 minutes long and the resolution to the films central conflict.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Alternate 17/18 are explicitly weaker than the main timeline's androids, so yeah Gero just had more time to work on them.

Trunks isn't exactly a reliable narrator seeing as he can't actually sense their power levels.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I somehow completely missed that first Gast Story.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vegeta could have been weaker than zarbon and still won. They make a point of how zarbon and dodoria barely do any actual fighting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Figured that stuff just never happened because of Multiverse theory or something.

Did Trunks know it was more universe crossing before he went in or did he think it was actual time travel? I know they cover the "science" behind it around the same time they do in abridged, but I keep thinking Trunks learned through trial and error that it wasn't actual time travel.

But it has to be time travel because otherwise trunks would be way older than all the other trunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Supreme Kai probably wasn't even aware Frieza could transform considering how bad he was at his job.

• Locked thread