Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Yeah, Jaco got picked up by Viz and ran in the English Shonen Jump. I think it's been too long to go back and buy the back issues, just have to wait for the collected edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Esroc posted:

I can't help but wonder how TFS is going to handle that. I hope they flesh it out more than the actual series where he just kind of shows up married to her.

Wasn't there a scene where she gave him a peck on the cheek before her official hero-turn? I like the idea of the counter getting confused at that point.

Krillin got owned. But an attractive woman willingly kissed him. ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Though drat if that final scene didn't scream "Hellsing Ultimate Abridged joke" to anyone else then I don't know what to say.

I think it's partially because Cell is basically an evil Alucard.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Shinjobi posted:

It breaks my heart Kenshin's author hasn't really gotten past Kenshin, despite having some really fun ideas. Busou Renkin was a ton of fun, and Kenshin was a great character for shonen.

What are you talking about? Watsuki's gotten over Kenshin.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Cut him some slack. His brain is literally rubber.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

VJeff posted:

It was pretty awesome that Hiko could've just owned Shishio and Enishi in five seconds but he didn't because gently caress it I want to keep being a hermit and get drunk.

Man, if Buso Renkin didn't count as getting past Kenshin, then I dunno what does. That manga was loving awesome.

The problem isn't that Watsuki couldn't get past Kenshin, it's that he's not a young man anymore. He was very badly ill several times during Buso Renkin because of the workload it takes to be a manga-ka. Nobody can keep that up forever except ageless freaks like the dude who does Jojo. Watsuki got to write and finish two really loving good stories and his assistants went on to make some groundbreaking stuff of their own, one of which only became the most popular manga in the history of the loving world. That's more than most guys in this industry get.

On a related note, I hope you've all emotionally prepared yourself for Oda to drop dead six months after finishing One Piece.

That might be why Watsuki moved his next series to Jump SQ, and has his wife (a writer herself) help out with the story. It's called Embalming - The Another Tale of the Frankenstein. I don't know why it hasn't been picked up by Viz yet, but Watsuki is doing stuff beyond Kenshin now.

I think the recent Kenshin stories were his editors asking for something to hype up the live-action movies.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mordaedil posted:

I guess he refers to the fact that Watsuki decided to revisit the manga series and "fix" a few things by releasing rewritten stories after the movies success?

It's fairly good, but I think I've become a Watsuki fanboy after Rurouni Kenshin and Buso Renkin both being so amazingly good. Buso Renkin also shows how you ought to do a Shounen protagonist who is a teenager without delving into angst or making the main character and utter idiot who you wonder how even survive the fights he gets into.

Another great thing about Kenshin was that the main character is like nearly 40, but looks like his early 20's and they even poke fun at this.

My favorite chapter with Hiko literally points out he's basically Superman and is fighting a giant. He looks the part too with his cape and all. And Watsuki in his author commentary mentions that Spawn was actually the inspiration behind the cape, which is always awesome.

First, I get where you're coming from. I love Rurouni Kenshin and pray for the final arc to be animated someday. Not as big a fan of Buso Renkin, but it's still leagues beyond most of the battle series out today.

Secondly, like I said earlier, Watsuki didn't stop making manga after the end of Buso Renkin. He's currently doing Embalming, it just runs in the monthly Jump SQ and hasn't been picked up by Viz, so you need to find scans if you wanna read it. If you liked the homunculi of Buso Renkin, the Frankensteins in Embalming work pretty much the same way. It also has Watsuki's usual elements to manga (minimal stupid fanservice, older leads who aren't that angsty or brain-dead).

Plus, Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes show up, and Jack the Ripper is a Frankenstein that flies by exhaling really hard. What more do you want?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I wouldn't be surprised if Team Four Star made a joke about that or something.

Vegeta: "Let me get this straight. All I have to do is be around the kid and I'll be better than Kakarot?"

Gohan: "At least in parenting."

V: "... At this point I'll take what I can get."

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TheKingofSprings posted:

What a waste of a wish

Is it better or worse than the wish for underwear, though?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

a cartoon duck posted:

do you think doctor slump and doctor briefs hang out in their free time?

Depends on how well they got along in school.

(There's a better version out there, but for the life of me I can't find it right now.)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blockhouse posted:

finding out the creator of broly wrote a butthurt blog post about how he doesn't like that beerus is stronger than broly and yet not as "scary" has made my night

New DBZA and this? It's a Christmas miracle!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah gently caress it, they remember poo poo better that Toriyama anyways.

People who only know about Dragon Ball through jokes on The Simpsons/Family Guy remember poo poo better than Toriyama.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

As someone who hasn't seen new episodes of either of those in years, have they actually referenced Dragonball at some point out of interest?

I'm in the same boat, so I couldn't tell you. They were just the first two shows to pop into my head.

Point is, people who only know about Dragon Ball from jokes about it remember more about it than Toriyama.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Firstborn posted:

Voice #7 is Johnny Yong Bosch?

I think #7 might be Curtis Arnott (TFS's Nappa), just without him going full Nappa on us.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Firstborn posted:

A lot of other people are saying this. Think you are right.

Well, I decided to tweet him and ask him outright, so we should find out soon.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Endorph posted:

He might not be able to say, depending on the circumstances/if he's going uncredited in the final release.

So we might need to ask a few other people, no big deal.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Hobo Siege posted:

O-Oh.

I guess... I guess I have to buy Xenoverse now.

That was sudden.

Bought Xenoverse and the Season pass after seeing the video. Now I just gotta figure out who I'm gonna make.

A part of me wants to make Not!Luffy or Not!Naruto, or some other Goku clone. Are those options?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Firstborn posted:

If you mean a literal Goku clone, you can unlock his outfit, and a "wig" of his hair (and his SSJ hair). The same guy who did that video with the voices made a very convincing Turles this way (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8x9t5RwI9I).

I don't think you could make Luffy or Naruto. You just can't make the dude thin enough to be Luffy, and there's no Naruto headband as far as I know. I think you can unlock Bardock's headband, and it's possible to get the color of the clothes right so it may resemble them in motion.

I meant clone as in how Luffy and Naruto and others are basically the Goku of their series. I wasn't expecting super-exact clones, but that the options would include straw hats and jumpsuits that look like Naruto's.

I guess it would be better to say I wish my character could cosplay as Luffy. Or Naruto. Or Toriko. Maybe not Natsu, but only because he's from a different company.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Tae posted:

Taka is an actual VA, he was probably the easiest to contact and sign for voicework. The only other Actual VA on the team is Antfish, IIRC.

Kaiserneko and Lanipator are also VAs, and in Texas now. Granted, their only roles so far are in the Nobunaga genderswap anime, but you gotta start somewhere.

I'd be willing to put money on them voicing the new guys in Return of F.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

New Leaf posted:

So "History of Trunks Abridged" got delayed due to health concerns.. Anyone know what's going on? And what was the deal where the TFS dude had some major health issues a few months ago? I never got the full story there.

Considering how the month started out with regards to internet video creators, it's probably nothing serious. KaiserNeko probably just got a bad cold, and that wrecked the schedule he had setup for editing. Or maybe someone who was contributing an original animation had a cold, and that kept them from making it. Point is someone probably just had a bad cold. I'd say that at worst, someone broke a limb and is too hopped up on painkillers to work on the video.

And a few months ago, Kaiser got sick for about a week, I think. But I believe that was linked to him moving to Texas around the same time.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Testekill posted:

Isn't Bulla younger than Pan though? Because Pan looks way younger while Bulla looks like a teenager.

According to Battle of Gods, Bulla is younger than Pan.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ImpAtom posted:

What if Goku was revealed to have been implanted with the trickster spirit Wu Kong as a child and he learns to tap into that power after he accidentally finds and eats the Gum Gum Fruit after it falls in a cross-dimensional hole created when Goku discovers his Bankai after getting in touch with his half-demon nature. This allows him to truly manipulate his Nen which he uses to create his Stand, the Cha La Head.

All that, and you couldn't work in a quirk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ImpAtom posted:

I don't actually know what quirk is from. :smith:

I can't believe you aren't reading My Hero Academia.

• Locked thread