Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Any moment where Gohan flips the hell out during a fight rules. I wish they made him a bit more useful before the Cell Games though.

The cell games WAS the payoff though; every fight up to then was the build-up to that moment.

Everybody else is trading full-bodied slugs with Cell with no success, and Gohan just up and chumps him with two punches so hard it causes him to throw up an android

It was so graceful and perfect. Poetry in motion for my junior high self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I finally watched the first Dragonball Z Broly movie.

I thought it was hilarious how Vegeta spends 3/4 of the movie searching for the Legendary Super Saiyan, all hot-blooded ready to kill him upon first contact, then does a complete 180 and cowers in the corner when he finds him.

I mean, what did he expect was gonna happen when he found him? He went from full gun-ho confidence to the timid nature of a newly born fawn just like that. The change was so radical it was jarring.

White Light fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 19, 2014

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

VanSandman posted:

what else are you gonna do in the deadzone besides deadlift

Somebody boo this man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Followed by the line "Oh hey, we never had to wish him back before!"

Top quality

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

SSJ2 is easy. If they have electricity then they are. Like Majin Vegeta is SSJ2. Easier than looking for hair standing straighter than usual.

Nobody made SSJ2 look better than Teen Gohan

Fucker rocked that hair

Adult Gohan always seemed like a major downgrade, I wish they had spent more time on TG

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Seriously, guys, power levels are bullshit. I think my favourite part of the Cell saga is that there's nobody around to say, "well, 18 and 17 are like power level 80 million, and Cell is like power level 90 million, so when he absorbed them both it was a straight addition so Perfect Cell is now power level 250 million, there's no way our power level 100 million Goku could ever hope to beat him!" :v:

The numbers are utterly, utterly meaningless. Think of your favourite RPG, did the fact that the last boss had several dozen times your HP matter at all? That just made the fight to beat him longer, strategy and skill are still the driving forces behind achieving victory, not raw numbers.

But it's fun! Why you gotta be such a debbie downer man

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That is a poor man's substitute for Rock the Dragon

my childhood was better than yours :colbert:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Where do you find these things

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think people need to get off the circle-jerk abridged bandwagon a bit.

Yes, it's a funny take on DBZ, but pick it over the actual product? Are you kidding me?

I like abridged but I recognize what it is; a fun side venture, but definitely not a replacement over the bread-and-butter original.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Goku's Japanese voice is just ridiculous, it's so silly that they refused to change his VA after the timeskip.

Amen brother

I hate the Goku japanese VA. It is so drat bad

This is a fully grown man, he should sound like a man and not like he got his balls chopped off

Having him sound like a rapid-fire toddler is just creepy.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

He's now voiced by Professor Oak/Van Hohenheim.

And yeah, it's been going. The Kai editing doesn't do much to make the start of the Buu saga feel less slow, but that said, these thirteen episodes cover what was 30 in the original run.

Slow?

The best parts of the Buu saga was when the gang was just doing mundane day-to-day tasks. Watching Vegeta annihilate the punching machine cause he gave zero fucks was the highlight of that tournament arc.

If anything it starts to get slow when the actual threat arrives.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Philosopher King posted:

I just realized something, why didnt they ever wish future trunk's people back with the dragon balls? Kind of a dick move to just send him back to his ruined planet.

Picollo died by the Androids.

No way to wish them back unless they go to Namek again, and I doubt the rest of the cast would bother going on the trip when every fighter worth a drat got chumped by a teenage girl wearing a cowgirl vest.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Look bud, when you've got billions of planets to juggle like they were checkpoints in a business proposal, a kai is allowed to let a few things slip his radar

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Yeah that's the thing that bugged me most about the new movie, that the god of loving destruction used a pissant like Freiza as his metric for badass. Dude was garbage, and he must have known about Buu.

Yeah I was pretty upset at that too.

Way I see it, the entire Buu ordeal got bottled up and dealt with during Bill's slumbering years. Last time he bothered to hit the snooze button Freiza was the top dog in the playground.

Buu is an ancient threat, probably long before Freiza's race even existed; that's when warriors had to be chiseled out of granite in order to compete with the mud thrown back in those days.

Freiza is akin to one of those forgettable presidents you learned about in history class that had no massive conflicts to make their regime seem interesting.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The Buu Saga was a mess, but a fun mess at that.

There was no way in hell Toriyama could top the Cell saga, it was suicide to try from the get-go but he gave it his best shot anyways

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like how he chumped him with two shots

All these overblown battles and gohan ends it in a second. This is what happens when you wake the baby

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Shindragon posted:

As others said, you think Vegeta gives a poo poo if someone is more powerful than him? He is one persistent rear end bastard.

Hell he took on perfect cell and didn't stop until he was nearly out of energy.

IN short:

Vegeta don't give a gently caress. :colbert:

Not only that, but he's got battle wisdom out the wazoo with no qualms about fighting dirty.

Watching him ruin Beerus for fifteen seconds with the rudest dragon combo this side of the Strongest in the Heavens tournament was magic on the silver screen

I mean it didn't really amount to anything in the end, but it was also pretty sweet so

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

God doesn't make you tinier, it makes you leaner, like your frame was sculpted out of granite. Basically if Goku was eating nothing but trim meat and vegetable meals instead of his usual anything-that-has-a-face-and-wants-to-run-away-from-me diet.

It's weird; at first I really didn't care for the god transformation, but now I actually kind of dig it. SSJ3 seems clunky and overblown in comparison.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like it how the general consensus for the movie is 'what, seriously? THAT guy? He's the big bad?'

Frieza's become the running joke of the series, and all his credibility as a threat was washed aside with Goku's comment about how he 'wasn't a very good fight' in that dumb special they did years ago.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

I've just realised that during the long stretches of peace in DBZ, Vegeta is essentially a loving housewife. His spouse is like a famous inventor and scientist and earns all the money, and he sits around in his father in law's house, doing nothing to contribute to the family income.

He's not a house wife, he's a trophy wife

Bulma cares little about his contributions so long as he keeps those washboard abs and rippling physique in check :allears:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Mr Popo character development brewing out of nowhere.

Yeah really, especially after Mr. Popo's classic line

"Well, only one thing left to do"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFy0hQ3lY-w

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Looks like Frieza's new favorite gym exercise is barbell shrugs

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I am somewhat dumbfounded just what kind of power up could justify trumping both androids 17 & 18, android 16, a fully powered Cell, and Majin Buu with his twenty clown forms, without breaking our suspension of disbelief.

It may be dragon ball Z but there are rules dammit; I have no idea how they're going to pass this off as a plausible power up without shattering the pacing and steady growth that Toriyama has done so well over the course of the series history.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

The minions wish that Freeza is "once again the strongest living being in the universe". The Dragon brings him back, making him stronger in the process. After Freezza is re-re-killed, Gohan and Piccolo marvel over the fact that they could've just used the dragonballs to power up all this time instead of training. Goku and Vegeta wish on the dragonballs that no one can ever wish for more power ever again out of childish spite. Move ends.

I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but wasn't that an actual plot point during the Saiyan arc? They tried to wish the saiyans away or something, only for Shenron to go 'nope, can't kill anyone stronger than Kami'

I'm guessing that you can't wish to be the strongest when the strongest would mean overpowering the guy that made the drat dragon.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Silento posted:

Can Shenron create underwear so comfortable that not even Shenron could make underwear more comfortable than it?

These are all questions that Oolong could answer

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm more interested in what Lord Bills will be doing during this film. Perhaps watching the fight on top of his palm tree throne eating his much desired pudding, generously supplied by Capsule Corp.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

carry on then posted:

While they're resurrecting better characters can we get Cell Games Gohan back he was kickin rad

Seriously. Nobody finished the job better outside of Trunks.

I'd rather see Cell be featured in this movie, even though it wouldn't make a lick of sense. Frieza has minions to resurrect him, Cell was pretty much a one man army who pulled himself up by his own bootstraps.

I always thought it was sweet that entire android fiasco was brought about from the army Goku wiped out as a kid, that was such a neat callback to the old school Dragonball series. Frieza didn't really seem all that interesting compared to the Androids, and they had loads more personality than goofy purple alien who's entire shtick was 'power'. Bo-ring!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Depends on how well they got along in school.

(There's a better version out there, but for the life of me I can't find it right now.)

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Kinda nit-picky but it's weird seeing goku without his blue undershirt.

I knew there was something off about Goku but I just couldn't put my finger on it

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

The big giant super-muscles forms that are useless for actual fighting, I think.

Tell that to Broly

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

A bald super saiyan. I can pretend they're an earthling, and no one has to know.

Golden eyebrows yo

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Do scouters double as sunglasses?

In a perfect world

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

gently caress the police comin straight from the underground

He looks like he de-aged twenty years

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think the default response for anything dragonball related should be 'Toriyama forgot'

If he can forget about Vegito, all bets are off with him.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's just the way it's supposed to go.

What is this clip from?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

Wasn't Falconer's cell theme used as a backing track for a rap song?

Wouldn't surprise me, DBZ is huge in the hip hop community

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I was reading that kazenshuu page about how Dragonball was unpopular at first but then really took off during the first Tenkaichi Budokai arc cause the readers love tournaments. I just don't get that. Tournament arcs in manga are always my least favorite thing and seem like a lousy cover up for a lack of plot. My interest in any anime drops if they ever get in a tournament, which is like all the goddamn time.

Do Japanese people just really love tournaments or something?

Tournaments are the best way to showcase whatever crazy abilities/techniques/powers that the main cast of characters use at their disposal. Sure there are other ways, but it's the most time-tested and reliable method of fleshing out the ecology of whatever sets a certain manga/anime apart from its competition.

You gotta think who these things are aimed towards; a young teenage crowd. Sometimes you don't wanna explore the subtle nuances of a setting, you just wanna watch a dude beat up another dude in a flashy method. Also it seems to be a good method for experimenting fight scene choreography and arena scale. Think of it as a way for the mangaka to better understand the rules of comics so he can push or break them if needed. Arguably Naruto's strongest arc was the Chunnin Exams, because it was a good way of setting up the blueprints for the concept of the jutsu system.

That's half the point of the shounen genre; to put together enough of an excuse to have wild fights. What separates the wheat from the chaff is whether the author chooses to build upon the world scope once these mechanics are worked out. When it works well, you get things like One Piece. When all of your efforts are poured into the fights without any real effort in fleshing out the scope of the world, you get things like Bleach.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So i'm guessing all these new pages are about Superman's abysmally stupid super saiyan power-up he just got?

Superman why don't you just go away, you haven't been relevant since the 30's.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would he ever need to do that

Drive up sales I suppose. It is a business after all.

Sometimes I wonder how people are getting anything out of Superman (or superhero comics) in general since they're one giant never-ending story. Everything feels so manufactured that even the basic plot structures of a story feel meaningless right out the gate.

How? How can one possibly care for any of these characters when you know they're never going to die or there's no end-game in mind? It boggles my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Go read All-Star Superman.

The premise is that Superman finds out he's actually dying.

I read it. Even watched the animated flick.

It's a good story, but it's also a one-shot, meaning that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't actually matter. It's an 'alternate universe' story, Marvel and DC'S favorite narrative Hail Mary pass.

It's a 'best-of' compilation of all the ridiculous things Super could get away with during the Golden Age. The only people who are going to get that are people who are already familiar with that aspect of the character.

Honestly I don't think there's much else you can do with the character. Is 100 years of adventures not enough? For every one good story you get with that character you'll get a return of fifty bad ones; he's been passed around the block more than currency, he's just a tired, archaic concept at this point.

Toriyama ended his series after ten years because there wasn't anywhere else to take Goku at that point. That's how it should be, and I feel we'd be getting a lot fresher material in our neck of the woods if the Big Two had the decency to end their long running series and try something new. Anything new.

But it's a business, so they keep beating that dead horse because money. It's in their right to do that and if there's a fan base getting something out of it, more power to them. But it's caused the average Joe to become more or less indifferent towards anything we've made in decades, and that disappointing to see.

White Light fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread