Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai since I haven't watched Dragon Ball since I was a kid and Xenoverse plus the new movie got me into the mood, and i wasn't going to watch the entire original series (much as it had the Latin American dub, which was awesome and I miss like this, but I'll hear them again once Resurrection "F" is out here anyways).

It still holds up. My kid memories are incomplete and forgot lots of awesome stuff. But holy poo poo Namek is long even in Kai format. Started on 17/18 I think, I'm on episode 41 and Final Form Freeza just appeared last episode. Not like I'm complaining (okay, I am, but it's mostly because my strongest memory is still Gohan vs Cell and I want to get to that and see if it really is as good as I remember)

That said, is there any easy way to watch the uncut English dub on the internet? I've gotten really accustomed to the voices thanks to video games, and while I like the Japanese voices too, I kind of find the dub better in that regard. The Latin American dub is even more superior, but sigh, Kai was dubbed with an entirely different and far worse cast. At least Battle of Gods got the cool voices and Resurrection "F" should as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Horrible Taste posted:

Because he can't. According to the guidebooks only Dragon Clan Namekians can reproduce and Piccolo is a Warrior-Type so no kids for him. Piccolo Daimo could because he was basically a evil Dragon Clan member from being half of Kami.

But Piccolo is his dad, so he should have the same abilities. Daizenshuu 2 outright confirms that Piccolo kept all of his dad's skills.

It's likely Piccolo doesn't use Pokopen because it's kind of an evil technique, it involves giving birth but before that horribly mutating the babies into demons. Plus, it takes part of King Piccolo's life and a lot of energy (which becomes a non-issue when he gets eternal youth, but the current Piccolo does not have that), so it's way too impractical.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Plan Z posted:

Come to think of it, I only recently watched that saga, and can't remember what even happened with Chi Chi, and if Krillin even ended up telling her about Goku/Gohan when he went to her house.

He didn't. He told them that "they'd be late", instead of "your husband is dead and your son was kidnapped by literally the devil's son". He returned to Kame House, in which he decided to send a letter instead, but before he could do that Chichi and Ox King got to Kame House and they were forced to tell them the truth.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's important to remember that Toriyama was, and is, a comedy writer before he is a shonen fighting writer. He likes his comedy and sticks to comedy mostly, except when things have to get super serious. Buu Saga was just Toriyama being more Toriyama than the previous arcs, with a heavier emphasis on comedy than the Freeza or Cell sagas, ironically enough considering the destruciton and death in the Buu saga are higher than ever.

Even the last fight between SSJ3 Goku and Kid Buu have them biting each other with really goofy faces.

Battle of Gods is even more extreme about it, being mostly comedy with some serious moments. It works, too, because Beerus is awesome. Seems Resurrection "F" is going to be more Freeza/Cell though, with a much heavier emphasis on fighting than comedy, which I can also accept and enjoy! Freeza's a dead serious villain, so it wouldn't make sense for him to revive in a comedy movie apart from, I dunno, focusing on the Ginyu Force? I'd watch Resurrection "G".

Also there is no way in hell those Blue SSJ figures are not fake. Their hair seems to be the same as normal SSJ Goku and Vegeta but blue, and we haven't seen them in any trailer or magazine scan that I'd expect would show before some random figures.

"Kou" as in "cougar". Japan has used a lot of romanizations for Goku's name, though that's undoubtely the worst.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 30, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mycot posted:

I asked about this earlier and the results were kinda disappointingly uniform. Everyone likes Piccolo and Vegeta.

I dunno. Piccolo and Vegeta seem to be more liked as heroes than villains. Everyone I've met likes the badass antihero Vegeta, not the evil villain Vegeta, as well as Best Dad Piccolo instead of Best Son Piccolo.

When it comes to villains, Cell is very well liked. And well. he is Perfect, so that shouldn't surprise. Gohan vs Cell is basically the best fight in the series too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mycot posted:

Cell is also the only Dragon Ball character where I like both his Japanese and English voice actors.

Japanese is Norio Wakamoto, by far the most badass baritone in Japanese voice acting. English has Dameon Clarke, who absolutely nails the role and chews scenary like a boss, not to mention his epic performance as your mentor in Xenoverse.

I absolutely agree, both voices are amazing. I don't know if I can really choose between them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rhonne posted:

So did those spoilers say anything about those blue haired Goku and Vegeta toys that were posted earlier, or was that all bullshit?

Yeah. Because of the God power that Goku and Vegeta now have, the normal Super Saiyan form has blue hair. It's not a new form, merely a change on an existing one, hence why they kept the hair styles of their original Super Saiyan forms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mean you don't have to be strong to be a trainer. Hercule and Yamcha and Tien are all trainers.

Are you saying that the world martial arts champion, the man who saved the world from Cell and Majin Buu, is not strong?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mabels big day posted:

In the original Dragon Ball, after Goku beats piccolo and goes back to Korrin's tower, Korrin tells him that everyone Piccolo killed will be stuck in limbo unless the dragon revives them. Uhhh...? Why is this the case? Just some made up bullshit?

By that point, Kami was God and Piccolo was the Devil, no questions asked. Everyone killed by the devil can't go to the afterlife.

This makes no sense after the series went sci-fi and Piccolo was now an alien, but by that time it did make sense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MastG posted:

Something else that kind of bugged me was how poorly defined "immortality" was. It was used in place of "invincible" and it was never really elaborated if someone with immortality would just live forever or not.

Depends on your kind of immortality. Master Roshi is immortal because he consumed the immortality elixir, but not only can he still age, he can be killed, as he showed when he died using the Evil Containment Wave. The Androids essentially cannot ever die by old age due to having unlimited energy, but can be destroyed. Garlic Jr., who obtained immortality from the Dragon Balls, can't be killed, and likely will not die by age either.

It's likely that Dragon Ball immortality is true immortality, nothing can kill you so the only way you can lose is by doing something supremely stupid (like, I dunno, summoning a planet where you can be locked for eternity)

It should be noted that no being seems to be immortal by birth, they all need some kind of supernatural power (or extreme science) to reach immortality. Even Beerus will die sooner or later, as at the end of Battle of Gods Whis tells Goku to take Beerus' place as the God of Destruction after he dies (Goku, being Goku, refuses). The Supreme Kais (who seem to be the Gods of Creation) can be killed and even commit suicide, as the Elder Kai showed. Therefore we're...very unlikely to ever see full immortality in the series, since no one is ever going to get the Dragon Balls and wish for immortality beyond filler and video games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tbp posted:

blue hair - i dont even know. thought they didnt have to go ss anymore.

This is actually wrong. What Toriyama said is that, after Battle of Gods, Goku realizes that training his Super Saiyan form will be far more effective than using the Super Saiyan 2 or 3 forms, while using far less energy. As such, Goku and Vegeta (and Gohan because Toriyama forgot again that Gohan doesn't need it) will keep using the original Super Saiyan state as their "default" high-level fight state. The Blue Super Saiyan is the original Super Saiyan state after becoming a Saiyan beyond God, it's not a theoretical Super Saiyan 5.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tbp posted:

another thought -> why did it start taking goku less and less time to turn ss3. it takes him like 20 mins the first time, then to show goten and trunks takes like 3 mins, then against super buu its instant! utterly ridiculous

The first time Goku transforms, he's trying to stall Buu. He goes through all three Super forms in order, and even shows off different ways to transform. After that he's transforming to fight so he's not going to waste time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would be cool with them just using SSJ1 or 2 from now on those those forms look fine and are what DBZ is pretty much known for. SSJ3 and SSJ4 look lovely. Hate on SSJ God and blue hair all you want, those forms look a whole lot better than SSJ3 and 4.

I'm not entirely sure how anyone can say God looks good. It makes Goku look anorexic. The sheer loss in muscle plus the big anime eyes makes him impossible to take seriously too.

Super Saiyan 3 looks awful too, but in a "maybe he went a bit too far" way. Super Saiyan God looks weak. If I saw a person like that in real life, I'd tell them to please eat a bit more.

Also I always liked Super Saiyan 4, as non-canon as it is. The hair and eyes make Goku/Vegeta look threatening as hell, and the idea of a controlled Great Ape is probably what the Super Saiyan should've been to begin with. The chest hair doesn't annoy me, either.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

socialsecurity posted:

The Whis training kinda annoys me because he is telling them they need to fight with their bodies not with their minds that is kung fu 101 poo poo that Goku at least has been taught plenty of times.

Not quite. From what I understood, Whis tells Vegeta that he thinks way too much, yes. But then he tells Goku that he thinks far too little. He's telling them to find a middle point, not think every move (Vegeta), allow their bodies to move on their own but also don't be ridiculously relaxed in a fight (Goku).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

WickedHate posted:

I think Vegeta's terror in that movie makes sense. He's proud and brash to a fault, but so is Freeza and no one questions why Freeza still knew to steer clear of Buu and Beerus. Vegeta grew up hearing stories about the Legendary Super Saiyan. It's like a heel wrestler being confronted by Literal No Bullshit Satan.

Plus, he basically does this exact same thing in Battle of Gods with Beerus (who is several steps above Broly in the threat scale, but still), so it is canon that Vegeta will back down if he is against dangerous enough threats (as long as they don't hurt his Bulma, anyways)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly the only thing I can think about that really angers me about the new movie is that it didn't end like this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cornwind Evil posted:

It's just so delightfully LAZY.

It's even more lazy than that. The "Hell is open, all villains leave" plot was taken straight from Fusion Reborn (much like how Baby's plot is a copy of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, and the last Evil Dragon is blatantly Buu).

GT in general really liked recycling old stuff, but did so pretty badly. The Baby arc is probably better than Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, but that's really faint praise. Super 17 doesn't compare to Fusion Reborn or the Android Saga, both of which were high points for the Dragon Ball Z movies and series, respectively.

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, as far as we see in the manga Qui, Dodoria, Vegeta and possibly untransformed Zarbon are all about equal. Vegeta may have even had the edge because of poo poo like the Gallik Gun (let alone his Giant Monkey... Form). The only people stronger are most of the Ginyus, monster Zarbon and Freeza.

Cui is equal to Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga, thus weaker than Zarbon and Dodoria. Vegeta at the beginning of the Freeza Saga is stronger than Zarbon and Dodoria (who are almost equal to each other), but weaker than Monster Zarbon, who himself is weaker than everyone in the Ginyu Force but Guldo (who is far weaker than the rest, relying on psychic powers instead), all of which are, of course, weaker than 1st Form Freeza and his 530000 Power.

The Freeza Saga just really likes increasing numbers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Prison Warden posted:

Yup, just like I said, except as far as I recall, theres pretty much no evidence that Dodoria or Zarbon are significantly stronger than Cui or Vegeta. I'll gladly be proven wrong, but that's how I recall things. I think Cui is around 18 thou, same as Vegeta used to be at the time, and when Dodoria reads Vegeta's power as around 22k or something he says that that is stronger than he is, so theres very little in it in any case. And Vegeta handles Cui, Dodoria and untransformed Zarbon with similar ease.

Daizenshuu 7 gives the power levels for Cui, Zarbon and Dodoria. Cui is about 18000, Dodoria is 22000 and Zarbon is 23000. Vegeta surpasses them all with 24000 (that was said in-series). Zarbon's monster form doesn't seem to have a canonical power level, but it should be over 24000 and below 30000, as Vegeta's power was close to 30000 when he fought Recoome.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I dunno how it comes across in Japanese, but Frieza always seemed really neurotic about being the best where Perfect Cell comes across as the smuggest prick this side of Bleach. Sure, they're both incredibly sore losers, but Cell's reaction is a big middle finger and Frieza's is abject terror. Kind of odd, since Cell was supposed to be obsessed with perfection.

Cell has several moments where his Saiyan side shows a lot. He acts exactly like Vegeta in a lot of ways, even pushing the opponent to reveal extreme power despite the fact that this is a very idiotic thing to do that will no doubt get him killed. As you said, Cell reacts with a big middle finger (and an even bigger Kamehameha), which is exactly how Vegeta reacts as well.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 6, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya posted:

DBZA is most on point when taking what is shown to us by the actual source material and taking it to its logical conclusion.

That's honestly why I like DBZ Abridged. It never really becomes its own radically separate thing, it always feels like something made by people who truly love the original series and are merely having fun with it. In comparison, I find YGO Abridged painfully unfunny at this point and it's basically its own thing that just references "lol card games" at times.

Also my favourite character as a kid was Future Trunks because he's a badass from the future who's all stoic and awesome and has a cool sword. My favourite character as something defined by society as an adult is Future Trunks because he's a badass from the future who's nowhere near as stoic as I remembered but still awesome and has a cool sword and heavy dad problems plus his own fair share of mental trauma. And if you disagree, then disappear for good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

e X posted:

The Earth dragonballs can't resurrect someone twice, the Namibian ones do not have that restriction, however they can't resurrect more than one person per wish. They actually point this out in the story.

And once Dense becomes God of Earth, he actually modifies them to do both things.

Your autocorrect has a higher power level than you do :v:

Also I wish Toriyama remembered what the Dragon Balls did. The two canon movies have both broken the rules. Shenlong can grant three wishes after Dende takes over, yet, both Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' have reset that to one for not explained reasons. Furthermore, the one-year revival rule is gone as well, otherwise Resurrection 'F' wouldn't happen at all. But then again, Gohan's using Super Saiyan again. Toriyama really cannot be arsed to remember his own series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't like it because in my childhood being a blond was super cool because you were like a Super Saiyan, and the ginger of this era could've felt the same I did as a blond kid, but instead now having blue hair will be all the rage and no one is born with that, so no one wins.

In all seriousness it's cool, it looks better in the images than it did in the toy and hopefully it'll look great animated and in-game for both Extreme Butoden and Xenoverse. Also I really hope it gets a better name, for the time being I'll stick with the excellent Super Cyan.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Knowing the characters, it'd be more like...

Goku: Hey Vegeta let's give Broly a lot of power to have a super cool fight!
Vegeta: Ballin'. But I get to beat him this time, Kakarot.

*cue stupid plot twist so Vegeta won't win*

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've been going through Kai, it's definitely a better choice than watching the original anime but it still drags on at times (Namek still takes far too long). That said, I have no idea why anyone would want to read the manga, the voice actors have completely become their characters after years of doing them, and the fight scenes are what everyone thinks of when they think Dragon Ball Z. Reading the manga means losing that, and having done so myself, it is a far less exciting experience.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I think Dragon Ball \ DBZ, One Piece, Jojo's and Fist of the North Star are like the only good Shonen series, or at least they're the only good ones I can think of, because Naruto and Bleach are really, really lame and sucky. Also Inuyasha is really bad but that's meant for girls I think.

Basically a good rule to have is that the only good animes are about giant robots or giant ripped dudes screaming and punching poo poo and shows about little high school girls or guys in weird outfits and giant swords are bad

Rurouni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, Busou Renkin, Death Note, Dr. Slump (from Toriyama himself!), Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh!, YuYu Hakusho, Saiki Kusao no Psi Nan, Kuroko no Basket...and that's only counting the Shonen Jump ones I can see from quickly reading the Jump Ultimate Stars and J-Stars lists. There's far, far more. For instance, outside of that you have FullMetal Alchemist, an all-time favourite of mine, or the currently running Seven Deadly Sins (whose quality is somewhat shaky but it's enjoyable). There's also OPM which is amazing, but I'm not sure where to put it considering it started as a webcomic.

The shonen genre actually has lots of really good series! It's just that the most known ones tend to be poo poo that works well for a wide demographic but overall are mediocre to awful, or started really well then jumped the shark and never came back. Many of them owe their existance as they are to Dragon Ball, too, so that only shows the strength of this particular manga even more.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Didn't Kurama permanently fuse some dude to a plant or something right before the last fight?

Yeah, Older Toguro. It was cool as hell, a fate far worse than death for someone who absolutely deserved it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goku not being particularly heroic is brought up quite a bit in different media, which I always found interesting because he's clearly got some serious hero moments even in Toriyama-written things (Battle of Gods' "I WILL NOT LET YOU DESTROY MY WOOOORRRRLLLLDDD!!!", for instance (that line was awesomely shouted)). Budokai 3, I think, at the end of Goku's story mode outright says that Goku's motives for taking Uub are selfish, he just wants stronger and stronger people to fight. Battle of Gods has Roshi outright question Goku's purity of heart considering how much of a love for fighting he has (this was changed in the dub to just questioning Goku's intelligence, which is lame)

I think part of why Goku comes across as heroic despite his serious enjoyment of battle and somewhat stupid/unkind/selfish moments is because Dragon Ball as a whole is very optimistic. Gon from Hunter x Hunter is literally "what if Kid Goku was in a far more cynical world", and he has moments where he comes across as outright creepy despite being more or less the same character. Hell, even his Super Saiyan transformation is shown in a far, far less nice light than Goku's insanely heroic, if revenge-driven, first transformation. And this is counting how Super Saiyan Goku was far less nice than normal Goku.

I mean, this is a series where literally the devil gets redeemed and turns into a super nice, if aloof individual who ends up being the best dad. The Demon King gets sent to Heaven and ends up as a sickeningly sweet individual. The prince of a race of genocidal, world-conquering monsters becomes a grumpy dad who is willing to throw away his excessive pride to protect his new planet. And so on and so forth. It's a strength of the series, in my opinion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I've got two questions that have been bothering me.

Specifically in Battle of Gods, Bills specifically says "Don't Saiyan's have black hair?" When he sees Super Saiyan Goku. Then in the flashback Vegeta has, King Vegeta's hair is like a maroon(ish) red?

Vegeta himself says the same line when he sees Trunks in the Cell Saga (unaware of Trunks being his son from the future, of course). Vegeta has always had dark brown hair, very clearly not black (unlike Goku and Gohan's jet-black hair), so apparently Saiyans just need to have a hair close enough to black, and it'll be considered black for whatever matters. I mean, Vegeta and Beerus seem to think so, and do you want to tell the freaking God of Destruction that he's wrong?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ruggington posted:

The japanese soundtrack for dbz is bad

as are the grandma voices

I disagree on the soundtrack. I absolutely agree on the grandma voices. Even I, who am usually really pro-sub, can't take Dragon Ball in Japanese at all entirely because of Nozawa's Goku.

The right choice is the Latin American dub no matter what, but when that's not avaliable, I prefer to stick with the English voices.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spidder posted:

Big manly hero with a granma voice was something unique and quirky that you can identify and remember. So we need to change it so big manly hero has big manly voice, because god forbid kids' heads explode by experiencing something unusual. Goes hand in hand with blue beer censorship and godawful music. I feel sorry for americans who grew up with that poo poo instead of actual Dragonball.

I grew up with Latin American Dragon Ball (and, as per usual, will point out it is the superior version) and that definitely had a big manly voice for Goku (Mario Castañeda is my Goku forever), and changed/censored literally nothing. Your argument goes nowhere, there's a difference between the awful censorship and music changes and deciding that the main character shouldn't have a completely unfitting voice.

Masako Nozawa was a great choice for Kid Goku, but definitely not for adult Goku. And even less so for Bardock.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just watched Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.

Holy poo poo that was terrible. Even the animation was horrible, and I'm not sure if to even call it animation considering how it was a bunch of jump-cuts because fight scenes are hard to draw. Even the beams are drawn all as non-specific blue/white things, including Piccolo's Makankosappo.

I think this might be the single worst Dragon Ball thing. At least Bio-Broly had good moments, and I can laugh at how loving stupid the Super Saiyan Bardock thing was.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Basically being a good enough punchman gives you psychic powers. This is basically the reasoning for Goku to have psychic powers, even. He outright states that he just "knew" he could read Krillin's mind, and before that he sent mind-messages to Gohan and Krillin somehow.

Freeza also has psychic powers, only he uses them offensively to throw rocks at people and trap them in balls which, in his own words, "might kill them".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya posted:

Let's google image search this. Hm. So it is. It's red in Xenoverse...

As far as Namek stuff goes, I think it was a bad call for Goku to not have been with the team from the start. Oh yeah and putting him out of condition as soon as he arrived was also a bad idea.

The setting of Namek itself I also think was a bad call. It's not a rich interesting world like Earth, but it's open, expansive, and bright. It's all so very blah. I think it would have been better for the story to have either been on a bleak nightmarish world with claustrophobic surroundings or the world should have had more to see, like Namekian cities or amazing Namekian gardens if they're not into that whole technology thing.

From the point they stick Goku in the healing tank, I actually really start to hate the Namek saga. Like hate it a lot. Probably because before then we had some tension and interesting fights, but after that everyone is totally useless and they have to wait for this rear end in a top hat to come and save them. It's like Goku gets to cut in line or something. He hasn't paid his loving Namek dues, dammit. In other words, my like of the Namek saga died with the Ginyu Force.

I absolutely disagree with you. The Namek Saga is really good when Goku isn't there. It goes from "strong punchman beats weak punchman forever" into "weak punchman (see: Krillin) has to outsmart far stronger punchmen and succeeds in both living and getting the Dragon Balls". Vegeta being smart and outsmarting every other villain, and Krillin outsmarting Vegeta is loving great and it is far more fun to watch than just more mindless fights.

If anything, it saddens me that apparently Vegeta's brain was not revived with his body after the saga. Vegeta in the Androids Saga is far more idiotic and reckless, in comparison to the cocky but intelligent Freeza Saga Vegeta.

I wish Goku had not appeared in Namek at all. It's when he appears that the saga goes from something unique to more strong punchman beats weak punchman, it becomes once again a matter of outsmarting people when he gets stuck in the healing tank (with Krillin playing Vegeta like a boss), and then back to punchmen with Freeza and Super Saiyan Goku (not like that wasn't awesome, mind you, though it could be shorter).

The only thing I agree is that Namek is pretty boring, but I can see the reason why it is such a desolate boring place. Still not the most fun place.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I think an evil version Goku from the future should be the final villain of Super. It would be cool because then we'd have two Gokus.

Turles already exists, you know. Not from the future, still evil Goku.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya's posts keep being great to read. They give me even more respect for a great series.

That said, wow, it's hard to believe how much of a dick Krillin was at first. He might not have grown in height, but he definitely grew up as a person during the course of the series. Seeing this arrogant brat, no one would believe that he'd become Goku's closest friend.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coming from the Latin American dub, I used Saiyajin for years (and still do with my Spanish-speaking friends) as the Latin American dub was perfect but...it didn't seem to have much of an idea of what "-jin" meant. Or "-sei", giving us Namek as Namekuseijin, a translation so silly I switched to simply Namek nearly immediatly. Freeza was translated "Freezer" in LA Spanish too and I do use that one at times, especially since I don't get why the English translation makes the Cold brothers "Freeza" and "Cooler" instead of keeping the a/er consistent. Or why his name got translated as the nonsensical "Frieza". Fry-za.

All of that said it's Tenshinhan now and forever, not changing on that one. And I'm a bit biased on the attack names and tend to stick to the Japanese names (Latin American dub left them unchanged mostly), though I get really angry when I see people take it to incredibly stupid limits. On that, I mean how people added the Latin American voices to Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3 (which is awesome), but then decided that everything needed to be in Japanese, and by that I mean shittily romanized English. Gyariku-ho! (on that matter, why was it not correctly romanized as Garlic Gun? Too silly?)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya posted:

Hey, I have a question for you! Do you remember the dub doing anything interesting based on using tú vs usted? I always lament the loss of specific politeness levels in translation in English if they were there in the original. Were there things like was Gohan calling everybody usted left and right?

I'm sorry, I don't remember. I watched it as a kid, so my memories of the whole thing are fuzzy. I could give it a rewatch but uuugh even the Saiyan Saga is way too long in the original series, and Kai got a horrible dub here in comparison to the original series dub. Every VA was changed because it was too expensive to get the original ones. Fans were pissed, and Dragon Ball is kind of a very big thing here. Thankfully, things got fixed by Battle of Gods so both movies got the original cast, including our super-manly Freezer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

So if I understand right, Super Cyan is combining the God Ki boost and SSJ boost.

Correct. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, beyond having the best name, is what happens when a person who has mastered God Ki (in this case, Goku and Vegeta) attempts to become the first Super Saiyan stage. This gives birth to a Super Saiyan that uses God Ki, far more stable than the Super Saiyan God form (and more powerful, too!)

Whether a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 2 or 3 is possible is yet to be seen, I expect Super to show them or something similar since there's no way in hell Goku won't get more super forms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had the PS2 version of BT3 but I still got the Wii version because more BT3 is always great and it was worth it, especially with a really big DBZ fan friend I had back then, he just had so much goddamn fun it made me enjoy it that much more too.

It also made for a super hilarious time when I beat another friend in a random characters match, he got Vegetto. I got a Saibaman. Saibaman is truly the strongest after Mr. Satan.

...I still want a Budokai Tenkaichi 4 dammit. But I'll just enjoy Xenoverse for the time being.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rirse posted:

After watching the Android 13 and first Broly movie, I just find it hilarious how random Piccolo can show up in the movies.

Every movie must have Piccolo getting an awesome heroic moment. It's tradition.

It also must have Krillin getting beaten up, that's a far less enjoyable tradition. Though the second Broly movie made me laugh in how it used both.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

What does canon Piccolo do with his free time? He really doesn't have much of a life, does he?

I don't care if it is filler, it is canon in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain Q posted:

The Mexican Gundam has a sombrero as part of its design and is known as "Gundam Tequila."

I loving adore G Gundam. I would 100% watch a crossover where Goku has to become a Gundam Fighter.

Goku would just be like Master Asia and beat giant robots with his fists.

In fact, I think Goku and Master Asia would be great friends after they fight once because true manly friendships are born through fists clashing.

• Locked thread