Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm curious to hear your guys opinions on the whole "antisocial" debate.

I rarely wear mine anymore, and tend to take them off around other people because they look at me like I have lobsters coming out of my ears. This will happen to everyone unless the wearer has no self-awareness or a sizeable portion of the population buys into the idea and they become a more common sight.

Even when I wore them semi-regularly I would never have worn them to a restaurant, bar, or other social gathering. At best they're equivalent to your phone, and if you're on your phone at any of those places you're being rude. True, just because you're wearing them doesn't mean you're using them, but it's similar to having a phone out, ready to ring. There is nothing that could happen in that instance that you would need to have it out and ready.

All that said, I still the idea of them, and I hope they catch on in some other form. (Earpiece + handheld combo from "Her"?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They're really good when cooking, too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I got mine today and it won't detect any of my voice commands except for "OK glass." I have no accent or anything so I'm not sure why I can't get this to work.

all commands start with "ok glass".

"ok glass, take a picture"

"ok glass, google, show me pictures of catfish"

"ok glass, call grandma"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have a pair, but rarely use them. They're great when cooking or soldering or something that requires both hands, but when you're out and about you look like the guy that has to wear his bluetooth earpiece everywhere because he's TOTALLY SUPER IMPORTANT, GUYS. They look really stupid on some people, but public opinion of them is the biggest barrier to widespread adoption. The same thing happened when tablets were new. If you pulled one out everyone would stare at you because it's a new thing they're not used to seeing.

Also, I don't feel comfortable wearing $1500 on my head in public.

• Locked thread