Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

What would the worst PPVs be that don't involve someone dying?

Great American Bash 91, KOTR 95 and 99, December 2 Dismember, Tons of TNA PPVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think Vince is TNA's mystery buyer.

It is important to list the worst. I also forgot every WCW PPV from May of 99 through December of 2000. Seriously, they are all garbage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't understand how making it available for viewing at the same time as 400 other PPVs is proudly displaying it. Ignoring the fact that people can already queue up the full PPV whenever they want on YouTube or Dailymotion or any wrestling torrent site, attempting to edit around what happened is an attempt to separate the show from the tragedy that took place.

(note: if they actually captured his fall on video, I wouldn't mind editing but what they are probably removing is the video package for his match, the long shot of the crowd and the announcement that Owen died. IMO, the only thing that really deserves to be vaulted forever is the Raw after Benoit's suicide/murder)

WWE isn't making money off of the OTE 99 uploaded by OwenHartGoku420, them making money off of the death of Owen Hart is a different matter and they need to be careful. It would make the company look bad to appear to profit off of the death, it would anger Hart family members under contract and others they work with like Bret. I'm sure it'd be great for talent morale if they felt WWE would exploit their death for profit too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

It's understandable but it really is going to diminish the ECW stuff.

Even a little thing like removing Killing Joke from that Heyman promo I love showing in on PSP TV will be a shame.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Because it takes time to digitize stuff and no one wants to watch 15 year old episodes of Shotgun Saturday Night.

They have about 30 times what they are putting on the network already digitized.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Personally, I want to see the entire run of Prime Time Wrestling. Nothing but Bobby Heenan segments and random midcard matches as far as the eyes can see.

I really want to see a montage of local house show promos. I don't even know why, I just want to see a loop of slightly different promos for the same match in different cities. That guy who was saying how WWE couldn't possibly have 100,000 hours of footage got me thinking about all the weird stuff they have in there, and for some reason, those old promos stick out in my mind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NutritiousSnack posted:

I guess they are going to cut out Benoit off the RAWS and Smackdowns I guess. :smith:

No, they aren't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Brokenogre posted:

You do have to wonder if they will change the date of when Chamber gets put on the network with DiSH not carrying the event now though. Maybe put it up a couple of days later with an announcement that they are putting it up earlier than planned for the fans that were not able to purchase it from their PPV providers.

If they do that they are crazy. They can't piss off the cable companies any more than they already have.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Brokenogre posted:

Funny that they neglect to mention that WWE shopped the network to Dish, Direct and most cable companies and was shut down completely back in late 2011

Directv was open to carrying the premium version of the network. Why should cable companies not being thrilled about WWE's TV network idea (which would violate their PPV agreements as well) be mentioned in this release? Just because they didn't sign off on one of Vince's hair brained schemes doesn't mean they have to be cool with him doing something that harms their business and breaks agreements.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Brokenogre posted:

I remember hearing DirectTV turned them down after a brief initial interest, and the point I was trying to make was that if Dish and cable companies had not just turned them down flat the PPV part might not actually be a part of the network at all, and WWE took a path that allowed them more freedom after being stuffed down multiple times, yet they are presenting it to their customer base as if the idea of the network just came out of left field and they didn't try to involve any other companies. and one would have to assume that WWE's legal team found a loophole on the agreements, as they technically aren't undercutting the PPV companies, as they aren't directly charging for the pay per views, and are just including them as a normal broadcast on their premium network.

This did come out of the blue for the cable companies. While the Observer reported they were planning to switch to an online format after the premium network talks fell through and Wrestlezone reported the full details a couple months ago, the cable companies had no clue WWE was about to launch this network. The PPVs have been part of the network for about the last two years. When they were trying to get a carriage fee for a regular cable network they switched their plans to carry all of the B shows on the network. Then when they decided that wouldn't work (because no cable provider wants to pay for more risky channels right now) they decided on every PPV but Wrestlemania on a premium network. They couldn't get enough interest in that, so they struck out on everything on an over the top network.

No matter what, the cable companies were going to lose out on PPV revenue here, and in the first case WWE wanted to be paid for it! Not everything ends in lawsuits. WWE has clearly broken their agreements not to undercut PPV by offering them on the network. Showing it for free sure as hell counts, guess why they aren't allowed to release DVDs or show much footage of PPVs on free TV? In this case, the best solutions are just dropping WWE, renegotiating or keeping it as is and taking a fraction of the buys they used to get. From their perspective it is completely and utterly lovely, they are losing out on millions with no prior notice. A press release as mild as that one is completely fair.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

I suspect that for many people, the cable/dish networks are the heels in this program. They are overpriced dinosaurs that have been offering poor service and terrible value for many years. So while their whining may be justified from some perspective, I'd bet most WWE Network subscribers could not possibly care less about their sad little song or lost potential revenue.

As customer I have the same perspective although I do kind of feel bad for cable providers in some ways, they've been held hostage by ESPN and now every other network for years, so at a time when they need to reduce prices their costs keep going up. At the same time, who cares, $10 a month for PPVs and a decent selection of back content is awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

The thing about WWE programming is that, even with the lower rating, isn't losing Raw going to potentially bump USA from the #1 spot?

Last year it wouldn't but it would have made things very close.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Batista posted:

Does this take into account that Raw goes to a competitor, meaning it would receive the bump USA did?

It does. Raw wouldn't go to one of USA's closest competitors. If it went to Spike I think they go into the top 10, and on FS1 it would becoming a top 25 network.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

NASCAR is in probable decline though, I believe, while WWE stands to grow with their younger audience and significantly better numbers with minority demos.

WWE's audience has been trending older for years. I don't know for sure but I'd guess it is older than it has been since the national expansion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Batista posted:

Yes, but don't they get millions of subs?

They do, but a big percentage are rollovers at the start of the season. They don't need to deal with a crush of day one sign ups.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shinjobi posted:

WCW World War 3 1998. The first ten minutes of the show feature the commentary crew and Mean Gene going through the card, and making sure the US Title match between DDP and Bret Hart is established as an important match.

What a weird thing to see in a wrestling show. Whatever happened to those days?

That was also a show where pretty much the only match booked a week before the show was DDP/Hart, so they had a lot of time to kill on the show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

actually since it was lost on the last page, all the ppvs are up except:

WWE
-No Holds Barred: The Match/The Movie (1989)
-Insurrextion (2000)
-Royal Rumble (2011)
-Royal Rumble (2014)

WCW
-The Great American Bash (1991)
-Japan Supershow (1991)
-Japan Supershow (1992)
-Japan Supershow (1993)
-When World's Collide (1994)
-Collision In Korea (1995)
-Millenium Final (2000) *German-only PPV

ECW
-Massacre On 34th Street

The NJPW Supershows and Collision in Korea were NJPW shows WCW had the US broadcast rights for (and supplied some talent for) so those will probably never be up. It was the same basic deal with WWC, although that was more a true co-promotion (that WCW barely promoted) so WWE wouldn't have the rights to broadcast it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The craziest part is that's not WWE spin-doctoring, that's MLBAM, who really doesn't have a dog in this fight. :stare:

They have their reputation on the line. That could be the truth or "Demand has met with our expectations, we just dropped the ball" doesn't sound very good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Maybe it's in the middle somewhere but "It exceeded anything we've seen in 14 years" is pretty loving emphatic.

I'm sure the demand is legitimate huge just because of the way this has launched compared to other services.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
For anyone who might remember when they signed up, does MLB.tv have the option to opt out of auto-renew? I was really surprised when this had an option up front not to auto-renew, but maybe it's standard and I didn't realize it. I have no idea if it's good or bad for me since I always forget when my MLB.tv auto-renew happens, but I want that to renew. Not sure if I'll want the Network to renew. I think I may cancel after the free trial and then sign up right before WM anyway, since by then they'll have some more content up that I want to watch and I'll get a tiny bit more value out of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

What would be the best PPV to watch for Lance Storm?

I would say Heatwave 99, the tag main event is really good. He never really had the chance to have a great PPV match in WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

purkey posted:

So I didn't follow wrestling from like 1989 until last year and picked up the WWE network for the hell of it. What are some B show PPVs that I should see?

edit: I'm watching Hart v Hart at Wrestlemania X and it's awesome.

You need to watch MITB 2011.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

purkey posted:

I watched that earlier today, and it was entertaining as hell.

Backlash 2009 is a great watch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Plus unlike with PPV, WWE doesn't give any to the cable/satellite providers.

They share a cut with various marketplaces and all the money they pay to MLB AM, so their cut is similar to what it would be if they were paying cable companies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

So something I wondered, but when WWE releases DVDs and stuff do the people on the DVD get some sort of cut for being on it and the sales the DVD makes? Does the Network do that when someone plays a specific video on VOD or something?

Talent on the DVDs get a cut, but they won't get a cut of archived network footage to my knowledge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The various cuts and costs associated with the Network are enough that their breakeven point is 1,000,000 subscriptions which was exactly what it was for a premium cable network, so it's significant. Now, if they can get the 2-3 million they predict they'll be getting a bigger cut of that money, because that's almost all profit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

drat, I thought 1 mil was what they were aiming for this year? No way in hell they'll ever get 3.

2-3 is what they are telling investors they'll be able to get, I don't think the expectation is to do that this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

89 posted:

The wrestler specific specials are gonna be on the network, right? Would be cool to catch up on some of the DVD box sets I missed out on. Heard the Austin one was good.

Yeah, they are being added as they air on the live feed. The Austin one is airing soon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, they were making money hand-over-fist around late 2000, Heyman's money management was just THAT bad.

This is a grossly incorrect assessment of what happened in 2000. They were not making money hand over fist. They did start drawing better crowds in 99-2000, but costs were way way up and the big PPV money that was expected to save the company in 97 and then after the TNN deal never came. They were bringing in more revenue but with greatly elevated expenses to bring in that revenue. This wasn't a case of poor money management, it was the same basic case as SMW, a company that was too big to be small and too small to be big.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

I'm hoping someone can explain a couple of things to me.

1) What was the story line behind Tajiri joining Mikey Whipwreck and the Sinister Minister? I'm really digging that team.

2) How in the world did Steve Corino become a babyface in ECW. Was it the Tommy Dreamer route of getting the poo poo kicked out of you until they love you for it?

Thread question: Do we treat these shows like spoilers in the TV Thread? It's aired already so no spoiler tags needed?

Corino was being built up to be the next Tommy Dreamer, to the point Dreamer legitimately hated him for it. They were being as explicit as they could that he was the new Tommy, I think even having him wear his track pants at some point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a thing WrestleCrap always makes fun of, too. If he'd let someone else throw him out he'd be remembered as a fun guest appearance. Instead he's now remembered as the guy who was so stupid he unintentionally (he argues with the ref while trying to get back in afterwards) eliminated himself because he didn't understand the rules of the match, or something.

With his ego he might be happy he's one of the most memorable things about that match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Batista posted:

It works, but not natively, as in there is no native app for it. Makes a big difference. Your PC needs to be beefy for it to run it non-natively.

How beefy and is that true for most streaming media?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Lots of problems with that, none of which anyone would care to hear about.

If someone has any info on ripping the live streams it'd be much appreciated.

The MLB N/V thread may be the place to ask, the MLB.gifs thread should be startng up anytime.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Starrcade 96 is a great bet. Ultimo/Malenko and Rey/Liger are both great. Don't be fooled by Starrcade 97 though, Eddy/Malenko is no good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess it wasn't just a free 7 day window but actually 7 days from when you signed up as I can cancel up until tomorrow. I'll probably cancel then and re-up before Mania. The streaming issues haven't been a killer, but by they've been enough that combined with the weak classic content I'll try again in a month.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fair to Midland posted:

I don't understand people who say they're going to wait for WM to buy the network.. you have no trial so you're locked in no matter if WM shits the bed or not, and it's only $10 so why not keep it for the month just to watch things like live Main Event, etc? It's just shifting $10 spent this month to next, and then you're stuck in contract no matter what anyway.

If I wait another month I'll get an extra PPV out of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

if you decide to wait to subscribe until after until after March 29th, then you can subscribe for two 6 month periods and get Wrestlemania 30 and 31. Meanwhile all the people with their accounts auto renewing March 3rd will get sucked back in to resubscribing just before Wrestlemania next year.

My only fear would be they might cycle off some of the MSG and Maple Leaf Gardens shows before then, but I'll take my chances given the added value.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

purkey posted:

Not even the worst WCW triple cage match. Check out the Hogan/Savage vs Dungeon of Doom doomsday cage match

It wasn't even the worst version of that triple cage, there's Russo's Wargames from Nitro later in the year that is just garbage. The DDP/JJ/ATT Guy match is kinda good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Max Overthruster posted:

Wrestling was baanned in my house when WCW was around so I never got to see much, but after watching Wargames at Fall Brawl 96 I'm totally in love with the concept even if the ending was dumb and lame, what are the best Wargames matches?

The first one from 1987 is required viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just tried to get it to work on my Kindle Fire HDX, and I couldn't get the WWE App to move past "Getting Location..." for everything. Why the gently caress does it ask for location?

I wonder how much smoother this launch would be going if they didn't decide the Network had to immediately be on every device known to man.