Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Execute the irrelevant peasant who doesn't even have her own portrait.

Afterwards, learn to be elegant and composed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Ask the Earl and then more Elegance and Composure.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Ask the earl and work on Presencex2

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

ArchangeI posted:

Ask the earl and work on Presencex2
Same as this guy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So I guess we should be pumping a few skills up to 100 rather than keeping moderate levels of several concurrently? I mean, our Internal Affairs is pretty good, and we only managed a partial success.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

V. Illych L. posted:

So I guess we should be pumping a few skills up to 100 rather than keeping moderate levels of several concurrently? I mean, our Internal Affairs is pretty good, and we only managed a partial success.

It could be that a series of partial successes ends up better than a single success followed by a string of failures. Or is that notion a part of a plot to kill Elodie? :tinfoil:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Ask The earl and work on Presence and Elegance

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm not going to be home until around 7 or 8 tonight, so the update should be really late.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 18, 2014

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

The way skill gains work in this game is that the later half of the skill actually goes faster then the first half due to how bonuses work. Maxing a skill group is technically more efficient and quicker then doing two skills from different groups, but you run into the specialization problem.

Skills train pretty drat fast however when you stack mood bonuses and the point bonus from the amount previously trained in the skill group. Because of this skill requirements kind of skyrocket when you reach midgame.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

V. Illych L. posted:

From what I remember of the last thread, basically yes. There are skill checks towards the end of the game that required 100s. Trying to generalize will get you killed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It is of course worth noting that skill checks come in packs. You don't need to pass all of them, as passing just one will usually escape the situation. Having 100 in one of those skills is better than having 50 in all of them.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
We managed to get the option to ask the duke, of course we should do it! I have no opinion on the class votes this time.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Having played the game and gotten to be crowned with only one death (that I knew was going to lead to death and took anyways!) after buying it on valentines, watching goons mess up will be all the more interesting.

Also we should Dogs x2 because dogs are great.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

KittyEmpress posted:

Having played the game and gotten to be crowned with only one death (that I knew was going to lead to death and took anyways!) after buying it on valentines, watching goons mess up will be all the more interesting.

Also we should Dogs x2 because dogs are great.

I believe dogs is maxed out until we get more in either birds or horses.

Edit:No, the dogs are not maced. They're just sleeping.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 18, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Thesaya posted:

I believe dogs is maced out until we get more in either birds or horses.

Oh.

Two falconry!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Choice

Ask the Earl of Io about her story: 12

Execute: 5

Work: 4

Imprison: 1

Classes (exact vote)

Elegance: 14

Composure: 9

Presence: 5

Accounting: 3

Falconry: 2

Military: 2

Lore: 1

Novan History: 1

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Did the old Duke kill her brother?

Are you accusing my family?

I'm asking what happened!

The honor of our line is far greater than that of the wet-bottomed child who sits the throne!

What?

Without warning, the Earl of Io draws a dagger and slices the convict's throat.

No one harms my family. No one!

He throws the blood-stained blade to the floor and walks away.

Ooooo!

Elodie would lose her yielding if we went to get our crystal now. Since most people wanted to increase royal demeanor skills, let's not do that.

You have unlocked a new outfit!

(That's funny, I thought owls were nocturnal. I guess I was wrong.)

When you return to the castle, your father is waiting for you.

There are reports that a keythong has been sighted leaving the Old Forest.

What's a keythong?

A beast with the body of an enormous golden cat, a sharp beak, and spikes on its back.

Eek!

Several disappearances in southern Caloris are already thought to be the work of this creature.

What do we do? Should we send hunters?

The traditional policy on stray beasts is to hope that they return to the forest and stay there. Hunters are no match for such creatures. You would only make it angry and waste more lives.

So... we just let it eat people?

Everyone dies in the end.

Oh Joslyn, you are the best dad ever! :allears:

As with last week, we would losing Elodie's yielding if we visited the treasury.

We unlocked a new outfit.

What classes should Elodie take? What outfit should she wear? And should we allow Elodie to sacrifice the yielding emotion in order to get the crystal?

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 19, 2014

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hmmmm okay that didn't go so well. I suppose asking without knowing not to say it as "so is your family full of murderers, or what, man?" could have gone worse, though - at least he didn't attack Elodie.

How about court manners and accounting - we do need to get the crystal sooner rather than later, and I don't know if our presence or accounting will suffice.

Let's wear the coronet and try for the crystal.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

zonohedron posted:

How about court manners and accounting - we do need to get the crystal sooner rather than later, and I don't know if our presence or accounting will suffice.

Let's wear the coronet and try for the crystal.

I'll go with this.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
For those of you in the know, is there actually a mood that helps increase the Economics skills? I've done a few playthroughs (actually survived to the coronation once!) but I haven't been able to see that bonus yet, and I'm about willing to swear that I've had all the eight moods?

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Presence x2. We may not know much about being a queen, but we can at least look like one.

Then try and get that crystal!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covski posted:

For those of you in the know, is there actually a mood that helps increase the Economics skills? I've done a few playthroughs (actually survived to the coronation once!) but I haven't been able to see that bonus yet, and I'm about willing to swear that I've had all the eight moods?

****No****

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Keep Yielding for a little bit longer, wear the Coronet and max out Presence x2.

One week of that just so we know for sure we have enough presence. Then we can worry about accounting later.

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Be the most prettiest princess. Elegance and Presence :sparkles:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Presence and Internal Affairs, then go for the Crystal.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Composure and elegance to use yielding while we have it, then go for the crystal.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Composure and elegance to use yielding while we have it, then go for the crystal.

I second this, and add that we should wear the coronet.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Full list of Things we know at this point in time

New things we’ve just learnt

Skills posted:

Composure

20: You practise positive thinking, maintaining a good self-image, and conditioning yourself to carry on rather than be frustrated by any past misstep.

Elegance

20: You practise standing and walking with books balanced on your head.

30: You practise the elegant way to hold and sip from a teacup, your pinky slightly extended for balance.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Number of skill checks so far (excluding the Weekend Activity skill check for trying to enter the treasury) = 22

Number of successful skill checks so far (counting a "partial success" as 0.5) = 4.5

Percentage of skill checks successfully passed = 20.5%

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Ayana posted:

Presence x2. We may not know much about being a queen, but we can at least look like one.

Seconding this.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Give Royal Demeanors a last push before looking for the Crystal.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just a side note (and don't construe this as a vote or anything) but you people may want to consider history lessons in order to give your internal/external intelligence reports some context.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
MOTHERFUCKER. Those skill check fails are starting to piss me off.

I say we push composure and elegance beyond 50, still wearing our fancy new dress, then grab that crystal.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Presence X 2 then Look for the Crystal

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Ayana posted:

Yes, this.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Presence and Composure then try for the crystal again.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Wear the coronet, train Elegance and Composure, and go look for the crystal.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Coronet, 2xPresence, get the crystal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

vaguely posted:

Coronet, 2xPresence, get the crystal

This.

Also pulling a knife in the presence of the future queen should land you on some sort of list.

• Locked thread