Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

All the nobles in the domain are here to see you - to see their queen.

(gulp!)

You let your eyes rest upon each in turn as you have been taught, impressing upon them that you are not a child, but a Queen. Your father waits for you at the bottom of the stairs and offers you his arm.

The first dance is for us.

He guides you gently around the dance floor, never rushing you. It's fun to dance with your father, but the look in his eyes is so sad.

After this, you must choose your own partner. There are a number of men who hope to catch your eye. The Duke of Kigal alone has brought three eligible sons, all near your age.

You look around the room at all your possible partners - which is to say, everyone. No one may begin dancing until you do. You can pick whomever you want and you will not be denied.

Who should we dance with? And what classes should we take next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Scandal is our middle name also double down on resisting

Elodie can't resist a good scandal.
Perhaps it will be with an old fashioned vandal.
She decided that she should become more resisting.
At any rate, it is better than desisting.
Original by MegaZeroX

We should try to make a scandal.
So the bachelors wont persist.
Also improve our resist.
In case our magic we mishandle.

dereku fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 22, 2014

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Someone about our age and Swords x 2, again! We should become skilled in the ways of fencing!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

dereku posted:

Elodie can't resist a good scandal.
Perhaps it will be with an old fashioned vandal.
She decided that she should become more resisting.
At any rate, it is better than desisting.

I changed your vote into poetry, for old time's sake.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Scandalous: Perhaps the shock of the partner choice will take attention away from our horrendous dance moves.

Wield Magic x2

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Someone already married, so they don't get the wrong idea.

Or will they get the wrong idea about Elodie dancing with a married man? Wait, poo poo :v:

Also resist magic and wield magic.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Someone already married. Let's take classes in Strategy and Voice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Scandalous, why wouldn't you shake up such a boring party? At any rate it'll take their minds off her failures at dancing. Internal Affairs x2, we need to fill it up and be done with it already.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

We decided we'd do the right thing and not wear the necklace, right? So we definitely shouldn't pick someone scandalous, and since we don't have enough knowledge of politics to know who's a good choice among the rest, let's go with someone already married, so that we're not sending any signals we shouldn't be sending.

Also, don't we have an intrigue of 150 at this point, judging by the overview of things we know? I'm surprised that wasn't enough.

If we're not depressed (or some other mood with conversation maluses) next week, let's study flattery and court manners.

If we are, let's study voice and resist magic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

zonohedron posted:

We decided we'd do the right thing and not wear the necklace, right? So we definitely shouldn't pick someone scandalous, and since we don't have enough knowledge of politics to know who's a good choice among the rest, let's go with someone already married, so that we're not sending any signals we shouldn't be sending.

Also, don't we have an intrigue of 150 at this point, judging by the overview of things we know? I'm surprised that wasn't enough.
Skills only go up to 100, so no. It's easy to find someone scandalous even if you are utterly clueless about it. :v:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Poil posted:

Skills only go up to 100, so no. It's easy to find someone scandalous even if you are utterly clueless about it. :v:

No, intrigue = internal affairs + foreign intelligence + ciphering. So intrigue+court manners could be as high as 400.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

MegaZeroX posted:

I changed your vote into poetry, for old time's sake.

Just because of this I edited my post :D

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh god we got no dancing skill. She is gonna look foolish. Dance with someone younger. That way we can blame them for the bad dancing (I have never picked this option so I have no idea of it does that.)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Full list of Things we know at this point in time

New things we’ve just learnt

Skills posted:

Sense Magic

10: You close your eyes and learn to feel the magic within you.

Wield Magic

10: You learn to summon a small glowing light which you can then move around independently.

Skill Checks posted:

Week 17
PresenceSkill Level 100 was enough to pass
Intrigue + Court MannersIntrigue 160 / Court Manners 10 was not enough to pass

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now I'm curious: would we have been able to pass with the catsuit (+Intrigue) on?

Lets go for Scandalous.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Now I'm curious: would we have been able to pass with the catsuit (+Intrigue) on?

Lets go for Scandalous.

The problem isn't the intrigue, it is the court manners. Most of the skill 1 + skill 2 checks have a total number that needs to be met, and an individual check. So, for example, maybe skill 1 + skill 2 needs to be at least 100, skill 1 needs to be at least 20, and skill 2 needs to be at least 30.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

We should definitely dance with someone Scandalous.
If anyone complains, we will stab them with our Swords and Wield Magic to summon fire and burn them.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Scandalous all the way! And any magic is good, we need a magical girl princess here.

Rhiora
Oct 10, 2012

Catalina posted:

We should definitely dance with someone Scandalous.
If anyone complains, we will stab them with our Swords and Wield Magic to summon fire and burn them.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan, I second this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

The problem isn't the intrigue, it is the court manners. Most of the skill 1 + skill 2 checks have a total number that needs to be met, and an individual check. So, for example, maybe skill 1 + skill 2 needs to be at least 100, skill 1 needs to be at least 20, and skill 2 needs to be at least 30.

Ah, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I never knew how the combined skill checks worked.

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Like, totally scandalous!

Then wield magic x2.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Assuming we'd have to justify ourselves, we probably don't have enough Court Manners or Public Speaking to get away with dancing with someone scandalous. We also don't seem what the gently caress with all of these nobles, so Let's Dance with Somebody Already Married to avoid sending any unfortunate signals.

As for classes,

Sense Magic and Wield Magic because we need to cleanse the world with fire use our benevolent magical powers for the good of the kingdom! :v:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Assuming we'd have to justify ourselves, we probably don't have enough Court Manners or Public Speaking to get away with dancing with someone scandalous. We also don't seem what the gently caress with all of these nobles, so Let's Dance with Somebody Already Married to avoid sending any unfortunate signals.

As for classes,

Sense Magic and Wield Magic because we need to cleanse the world with fire use our benevolent magical powers for the good of the kingdom! :v:

This

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
Let's get this scandal started!

Then continue training in sense magic and Protect magic

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I broke down and bought the game due to the thread.

Holy gently caress, this game is ridiculously hard.

Therefore, we're going to need some help. Some Canine help.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

I broke down and bought the game due to the thread.

Holy gently caress, this game is ridiculously hard.

Therefore, we're going to need some help. Some Canine help.

We already have 50 in Dog Discipline, and can't raise it until our Falcon Friendliness and Horse Helpfulness are each at least 25.

(Also, it gets a lot easier once you've survived more than once and have an idea of what skills you need to not die embarrassingly. Then it gets harder again as you try to get achievements...)

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

As for classes,

Jumping on this bandwagon.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Choice

Someone scandalous: 8

Someone already married: 5

Someone about your age: 1

Someone younger than you: 1

Classes

Wield Magic: 10

Swords: 4

Resist Magic: 4

Sense Magic: 4

Lumen: 2

Internal Affairs: 2

Dogs: 2

Strategy: 1

Voice: 1

Flattery: 1

Court Manners: 1

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

With that in mind, you approach the Duchess of Ursul. You admit to yourself that you were hoping such an outrageous act would cause her to lose some of her composure, but she remains unruffled. At least the chorus of shocked whispers around you as you take your place on the floor is gratifying. Dancing with a real partner feels quite different from dancing with your father. You knew him, knew his steps like a part of you. Now every move is a mystery.

Unfortunately, you lose track of which steps you're supposed to do when, and trip over your own feet. Oops! Between the dances, there is time for the guests to mingle, chat, and sample tiny bites of exquisite food.

During a lull in the music, Banion, the duke of Maree, taps an elegant fingernail against a wineglass, letting the clear note ring out through the room.

If I might have your attention? I believe we should offer our compliments to our lovely hostess. Her bravery and courage keep our borders defended.

Everyone applauds politely. As the gala continues, you take the opportunity to observe nobles that you rarely see. There's Gwenelle, for instance - the Young Lady of Sudbury, only months older than you and due to finally inherit control of her duchy soon. Or Adele, the youngest daughter of the Duchess of Lillah and a fierce sportswoman. She was a few years ahead of you at school and the absolute terror of the ballfields. No Briony - she had said her parents were leaving her stuck at school this season. Her parents are here, dancing together - the Duke-Consort clutching his Duchess possessively tight. Strange that there's no sign of your cousins, though. Shouldn't they be here? Your aunt and uncle are here, of course. It would be scandalous if they hadn't come, Merva being so close by.

It's nice to be able to enjoy time with friends and family, isn't it?

You're moving with such enthusiasm that you don't realise your father isn't alone until it's too late to avoid him and his... companion.

Countess Sirin. Not a member of your circles - she's a bit more than a decade your senior, far too old to have ever been your friend. And yet, not at all old, as noblewomen go. She has two minor titles, no husband, and your father's arm in her grasp.

How dare she make a move on your father?

For once, you are not going to vote on classes for next week. The next update (and perhaps the one after it) will be fairly short.

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 23, 2014

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009
Oh hehehe this is going to go so well. Shame on her for being a gold digger.

Edit: Nevermind just saw we're not voting on classes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Scorn her silently, should work with our strong Presence stat, right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is a terrible idea, but lets trip her.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Silent shame is the best shame.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Considering our relevant skills, there's really only one thing that has a chance of success, and that's probably silent scorn. We don't even have any points in Flattery at the moment, and we're not especially nimble either.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

MegaZeroX posted:

[...]
For once, you are not going to vote on classes for next week. The next update (and perhaps the one after it) will be fairly short.

Well this sounds uplifting and not at all worrisome for our continued health. :ohdear:

Despite how satisfying insulting that gold-digger would be, silent scorn seems to have more potential for success.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Stay silent, put her on the list of state enemies to disappear when we take our throne.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Scandalizing the court by dancing with our female magic teacher? Our princess is the best princess.

No doubt about it, Sirin is trying to upstage us when it comes to scandals, let's Insult Her about it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Scorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Scorn her silently.

• Locked thread