Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princey
Mar 22, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Worth noting that, as our aunt, she's part of the royal line. And 'active lumens' is plural.

I thought she was just our aunt by marriage. Our uncle is next in line for the throne, and then their daughter, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Princey posted:

I thought she was just our aunt by marriage. Our uncle is next in line for the throne, and then their daughter, correct?

There's a trend for Lumens to marry Lumens, as Dad's noble sacrifice proved last time out. Given that it takes one to know one...

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Actually, if I remember correctly, one of the things we learned about our aunt was that she had claimed kinship to the Merva nobles, but did not have sufficient proof of this, and ended up with her current title as a compromise. Perhaps it's the Mervan crystal she has?

Happy Blue fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 23, 2014

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Talk to her since why not.

I caved in and bought this game yesterday - have done three runthroughs (taking different paths to the thread) and have died in a different way each time.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
The fake Randy Newman version of "Let it go" almost compelled me to vote accordingly.

But let's be honest here, we need to talk.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Princey posted:

Yeah. Lucille has no claim on the throne, but Laurent -- as little brother to the previous queen -- is second in line if Elodie, as first-born child of the previous queen, dies. After Laurent comes Charlotte, as first-born daughter of the previous queen's little brother. Lucille has no claim on the line because she only married in, just like Joslyn. It's complicated.

We don't know whether Laurent is a Lumen, either. We do know, however, that we're standing right next to him and Lucille right now, and only Lucille is setting off our magic sense.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Vote

Talk to Lucille: Everyone

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Aunt Lucille, may I speak with you privately?

Of course, dear.

You withdraw to a small side room.

I can sense your powers. You're a Lumen.

What?!?

I am, too. That's how I know. Can't you sense that?

No. No, I can't.

She looks down, shaking her head.

I... I do have a Lumen crystal. I found it, years ago. It called to me. But I don't know anything about magic. I can make the crystal appear and disappear, and I can block out sound with it. That's all.

(I don't think that's true at all. There are traces of old magic around her, too faint to make sense of, but strong.)

Why keep it hidden? It's not illegal to be a Lumen.

Magic is dangerous, everyone knows that. People might think I was an evil witch. They wouldn't trust me. Look at how much trouble the Duchess of Ursul has. Please, Your Highness, don't tell anyone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Offer her a court position. Last game we had an entire circle of Lumens trying to kill us. This game we'll have a whole inner circle of Lumens working for us.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Offer her a court position, especially if it's something innocuous we can use as a front to cover up training her to be our sidekick.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

Why keep it hidden? It's not illegal to be a Lumen.
At least not in this timeline, Offer her a court position.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If she weighs as much as a duck... offer her a court position.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Offer her a court position. Last game we had an entire circle of Lumens trying to kill us. This game we'll have a whole inner circle of Lumens working for us.

This, and for this reason! :sparkles:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Accuse her. It might not be a wise idea to offer a court position to someone who'd have reason to want us dead and who's lying about the extent of her powers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jonjonaug posted:

Accuse her. It might not be a wise idea to offer a court position to someone who'd have reason to want us dead and who's lying about the extent of her powers.

Oh no you ain't! You're gonna play COOOOOURT POSITIOOOOOOOOOOON!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Accuse the evil witch! She clearly can't be trusted and I doubt she has any magical allies either. Also I know keep your friends close and your enemies closer is a thing, but this lady just clearly lied to us about her powers. We'd be putting her in the perfect position to actually get to us!

And if she tries anything fancy don't you guys forget we have that 100 in Resist Magic!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Or maybe she'll become more loyal to us, and that way we'll have a double-agent.

So Offer her a court position.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Offer her a court position. This is how you make a proper Evil Lumen Cabal :v:

Of course she's lying about her powers. But she doesn't know that we know that so let's use her while we can.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Muraena posted:

Of course she's lying about her powers. But she doesn't know that we know that so let's use her while we can.

Or maybe she knows that we knows...AND SHE'S TOYING WITH US!

Either way, we have unlimited magic power, so I'm sure we can block anything in the eventuality that she tries something - hire the witch!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Offer her a court position. This time, we will take over the world with our dark wizard army!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Offer her a court position. No need to make an enemy out of her.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

We need allies. And even if she is lying for nefarious purposes, I'd rather keep her close to us where we can keep an eye on her. Offer her a court position.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
J'accuse! She's clearly up to something.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Allies close, potential enemies closer. Offer her a court position

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Burn Hire the witch!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I get the nagging feeling that we couldn't accuse her unless we knew she was lying. BURN THE WITCH and impress the nobles when the ballroom floods with the sweet scent of nutmeg and allspice. That's what witches smell like when magically set ablaze, right?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Added Space posted:

J'accuse! She's clearly up to something.

Non, Lucille, je n'accuse pas!

Instead, come be our official court sound-blocker and crystal appear-er! (And all the other secret tricks you're lying about not having)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Offer her a position just on the outside chance that someone might actually be useful for a change.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Let's start a magocracy!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I think we've had enough Lumen problems last time, let's make them allies before we screw ourselves over again.

...Speaking of, though, wasn't the priestess a Lumen in the last run, too?

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Offer her a court position. It's probably better to have Lumens on our side for right now.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
BURN THE WITCH!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Start building that Lumen army. Should probably keep a close eye on her though.

E: After all the talk on the next page, I'm changing my vote to accuse her of shenanigans. I'm curious where this is going now.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 24, 2014

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Accuse her!

When we mention we know she's lying about the extent of her abilities, we can make our court position offer. After all, if we actually believed her, it wouldn't make much sense to offer her a post, right?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The "accuse" option is probably the one opened up by sensing her lie, so do that.

A court death mage would be great and all, but she won't be much use if she's still trying to hide her powers from us.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Offer her a court position. If things go south, we have maxed and nearly maxed Lumen skills to take care of the problem.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Why do you guys think the "accuse" option is the one that was opened up by the second Sense Magic check? I think that we can only invite her to court because of it. Otherwise we would have either had to accuse her or let her go, because there's no point inviting a relatively talentless lumen to court. But a powerful one is useful to us.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JT Jag posted:

Why do you guys think the "accuse" option is the one that was opened up by the second Sense Magic check? I think that we can only invite her to court because of it. Otherwise we would have either had to accuse her or let her go, because there's no point inviting a relatively talentless lumen to court. But a powerful one is useful to us.

It could probably be a lot clearer, but it sounds like it's supposed to be "accuse her of lying to us".

e: but it could also be "publically accuse her of being a lumen", which is definitely not what I want to do. (How would that work, anyways? Wouldn't we have to admit to our own magic-detecting lumen powers first?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Given our track record for what happens when we are not friendly to lumens (i.e. usually there's an explosion, people die, and the peasants get all scared), it probably isn't best to antagonize her, doubly so if she's lying about actually being powerful. Invite her to court so that we can turn her to our cause (I mean, she wants power, so if we give her power...she'll be happy!

• Locked thread