Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

I assume he means do all that and get all the skills needed to not get arrow'd in the torso, since you need to reach the birthday party for Awesome Adventures in the first place.

That's what I thought he meant, and that's what I was disagreeing with! Recruiting Lucille is certainly not a bad plan, but it isn't necessary for, after going on Awesome Adventures, using magic against the fleet, using a fleet against the fleet, or defeating Togami via magic duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Princey posted:

The thing about the forest adventure, though, is that you only actually need four skills to get on the path and survive the adventure, and two of those four skill checks require values lower than 50, which means you don't have to waste time training other skills in the same group to remove the cap. And since one of the two >50 checks is Herbs and the other Lore, it's not that out of the way to get the skills necessary to grit your teeth and bear it through the bandit attack. So if you know exactly what the checks are, it's perfectly possible to make it through the forest adventure alive and have some other useful skills -- for example, all the skills necessary to beat Togami in a magic duel, to (via roundabout means) add to the hella yuriness in the ending.

The main issue is that the adventure tanks your mood, so you need to be prepared for that.

Oh, does defeating Togami in the duel after Awesome Adventures change things?

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014

Feinne posted:

Not necessarily, but you do get a new epilogue image if you keep Briony alive, defeat Togami in a duel, and have high commoner approval.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Feinne posted:

Well, defeating Togami in the duel changes the kingdom's overall opinion of magic, which changes what happens with Briony a bit, though not as far as her relationship with Elodie is concerned I don't think, but also changes what happens to Julianna.

I could probably show that if anyone's curious, or zonohedron could in conjunction with the forest adventure run.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Princey posted:

Well, defeating Togami in the duel changes the kingdom's overall opinion of magic, which changes what happens with Briony a bit, though not as far as her relationship with Elodie is concerned I don't think, but also changes what happens to Julianna.

I could probably show that if anyone's curious, or zonohedron could in conjunction with the forest adventure run.

Oh I've beaten Togami, just not at the same time as having an Awesome Adventure.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Princey posted:

I actually hadn't thought about how to defeat the fleet/Togami in the Awesome Adventure. (I've just started taking screenshots - it's been a busy month.)

I shall let the thread decide for me!

I can't defeat Togami via Joslyn having a magic mirror (not and also go on Adventures), so these are the options:
1) :hist101:
2) :krakken:
3) :shopkeeper:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

zonohedron posted:

I actually hadn't thought about how to defeat the fleet/Togami in the Awesome Adventure. (I've just started taking screenshots - it's been a busy month.)

I shall let the thread decide for me!

I can't defeat Togami via Joslyn having a magic mirror (not and also go on Adventures), so these are the options:
1) :hist101:
2) :krakken:
3) :shopkeeper:

Go with :shopkeeper:
If I remember right the thread hasn't seen that yet.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

CHiRAL posted:

I second this. Its the only one we haven't seen, and it is needed to up the kingdom's opinion of magic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

I think that pretty much decides it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

CHiRAL posted:

We've only seen Elodie burn assassins and mentally ill insane nobles to a crisp in this game, it's time to see her put the burn on a sovereign ruler. :shopkeeper:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Here's an alternate resolution to the assassination at the festival, too.

quote:

As you walk, a man in black leaps out of the crowd, heading straight for you... and he's holding a sword!

You are alive, but badly wounded, and the attacker is free to strike again. Panic ripples through the crowd. In moments, everything will be chaos. Your guards may or may not be able to reach you in time to prevent your attacker's next strike.

You grip your royal scepter like a staff and strike at your assailant.

With a growl, you bring your weapon crashing down. He won't be harming anyone else ever again.

That last line. :stare:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Here's an alternate resolution to the assassination at the festival, too.

That last line. :stare:

Holy poo poo :black101:

CHiRAL posted:

Yeah, this.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
And now I have this picture in my head, of Elodie smashing the guy's skull over, and over, and over again... :gonk:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Muraena posted:

And now I have this picture in my head, of Elodie smashing the guy's skull over, and over, and over again... :gonk:

I see it more as one solid coup de grace, like hitting an egg with a golf club.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Muraena posted:

It's a huge, solid-gold ceremonial scepter, probably covered in religious symbols and images commemorating the Good Lady's kind and selfless acts. And it's heavy as gently caress.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

It's also possible to run from him, and if you have extremely high Commoner Approval one of them may dive in front of you to protect you. (I say 'may' because that's a scene I have not managed to see, myself.)

As far as Awesome Adventures go, I shall :shopkeeper: Togami (when I get to that point) :sparkles:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a huge, solid-gold ceremonial scepter, probably covered in religious symbols and images commemorating the Good Lady's kind and selfless acts. And it's heavy as gently caress.

And now it's covered in blood and perhaps some human skin, commemorating the Evil Princess' sheer awesome acts :black101:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Because I have nothing better to do :spergin:

"Solid gold scepter, taller than you are."

Elodie's 14, so let's say she's 1,6 m tall, so let's say the scepter is 1,8 m.

She actually has to be able to grasp the thing, so let's say it has a diametre of 5 cm.

That means it has a volume of about 3500 cubic centimeters, which means almost 70 kg of gold (155 pounds for you americans).

So yeah, heavy as gently caress.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

A scepter is a mace with a lot of decoration. Still a perfectly usable blunt instrument. Remind the peasants that these ceremonial trappings have some strictly practical foundations.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

zonohedron posted:

It's also possible to run from him, and if you have extremely high Commoner Approval one of them may dive in front of you to protect you. (I say 'may' because that's a scene I have not managed to see, myself.)

As far as Awesome Adventures go, I shall :shopkeeper: Togami (when I get to that point) :sparkles:

I don't know if it's the same as just :shopkeeper:, but having both :hist101: and :shopkeeper: grants a really cool duel.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Suzaku posted:

I don't know if it's the same as just :shopkeeper:, but having both :hist101: and :shopkeeper: grants a really cool duel.

:hist101: was for "defeating the fleet militarily"; I'm going to be dueling him magically. :sparkles:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

zonohedron posted:

:hist101: was for "defeating the fleet militarily"; I'm going to be dueling him magically. :sparkles:

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking you were talking about swording him or magicking him. Having magic and swords makes it epic.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm partial to the non-sword option myself, just because it amuses me what skill gets checked to see if you survive your magical death battle.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Suzaku posted:

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking you were talking about swording him or magicking him. Having magic and swords makes it epic.

Oh man I really want to see this now. Not as much as the Amazing Adventure, but still.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Princey posted:

I'm partial to the non-sword option myself, just because it amuses me what skill gets checked to see if you survive your magical death battle.

You kill him in a very fabulous way in that scheme, it's pretty great.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Princey posted:

I pretty much went with this option every single time I fought him :3:
(current count: 2)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Feinne posted:

You kill him in a very fabulous way in that scheme, it's pretty great.

I recall missing that check by like 2 points and never going for it again. Putting my vote for this just because of what it involves.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HGH posted:

I recall missing that check by like 2 points and never going for it again. Putting my vote for this just because of what it involves.

I don't think I can do that and do Awesome Adventures, but I can show off both versions of the :shopkeeper:ing, sure. :)

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014

We need to locate Julianna. A rogue Lumen is a danger to the entire domain.

Without more clues of where to search, your agents are apparently unable to locate her. You could detail a portion of your army to patrol for signs of her, but that would take them from their other duties. If you offered a reward for her capture, the people of Nova would also aid in the search. However, she was imprisoned once before, and that did not contain her.

She's too dangerous to hold. She has to be killed, and quickly, before she has a chance to use her magic.

(Some years ago, Julianna spent time with the Duke of Maree and the Duchess of Hellas. Maybe they would have some idea where she's gone.)

All right, we'll post her description and offer a reward to anyone who can bring her down.

I can even paint her picture to be sure everyone recognises her.

As you wish.

Later on week 21...

An enterprising young archer from Mazomba, guided by your artwork, recognised the former Duchess in hiding and managed to get the drop on her. Even a Lumen can't stop an arrow if she doesn't see it coming!

The body was delivered to the palace for verification, and the reward money paid out. Julianna's threat is ended, and you can sleep a bit easier now.

Now we know how to kill the witch properly! While we're at it, let's resolve the other loose ends from the Econoprincess playthrough and see what would have happened if the peasants hadn't revolted...

It's a shame we missed out on that epilogue... Next time, Evil Elodie takes revenge on the peasants!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Magic gives you Alzheimer's.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Julianna can die?!

:aaaaa:

I, uh, wonder how Selene took that one.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is there an ending where the populace warms up to Lumens instead of starting lynch mobs against shiny rocks?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

His reward for being an awesome Anime Dad cum Magical GirlDad is a broken, shattered mind? Now I'm sad. :smith:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bookworm posted:

(Some years ago, Julianna spent time with the Duke of Maree and the Duchess of Hellas. Maybe they would have some idea where she's gone.)

Didn't we have Brin and Banion executed? Or does the dialogue not change for this bit, whether or not they're still alive?

Bookworm posted:

It's a shame we missed out on that epilogue... Next time, Evil Elodie takes revenge on the peasants!

Oh wow, this run is surpassing my wildest dreams. I can't wait :devil:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

ViggyNash posted:

Is there an ending where the populace warms up to Lumens instead of starting lynch mobs against shiny rocks?

Yes. You can even use your newly invented written press to help it along!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CHiRAL posted:

Yes. You can even use your newly invented written press to help it along!
Romanticizing magic by making a medieval equivalent of the Harry Potter books, I assume.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Ciaphas posted:

His reward for being an awesome Anime Dad cum Magical GirlDad is a broken, shattered mind? Now I'm sad. :smith:

and admitting to infidelity (unless I'm reading it wrong).

That's gotta be tough for the queenie.

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014

Hedera Helix posted:

Didn't we have Brin and Banion executed? Or does the dialogue not change for this bit, whether or not they're still alive?

These are from separate playthroughs. Some of the best evil scenes are mutually exclusive, which is why this is more of a montage than a normal run. If Brin and Banion were dead, that check would probably not be available.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

mauman posted:

and admitting to infidelity (unless I'm reading it wrong).

That's gotta be tough for the queenie.

He is either admitting infidelity, or is so completely out of it he doesn't realize some scumbag noble's wormed his way into a position of power by successfully faking kinship. You get to decide for yourself which is true I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Falls Down Stairs posted:

He is either admitting infidelity, or is so completely out of it he doesn't realize some scumbag noble's wormed his way into a position of power by successfully faking kinship. You get to decide for yourself which is true I guess?

Unless the 'young man' is older than Elodie herself, in which case he might have been conceived, if not born, before Joslyn and Fidelia were married. In that case it's neither infidelity nor someone faking kinship. :unsmith:

• Locked thread