Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Incidently, I gained alot of respect for Jimmy Kimmel at that time for the opposite reason. I would probably watch Kimmel every night if it weren't for the fact that it clashes with Conan's time slot.

I feel the exact opposite about Kimmel. During the whole Conan mess everyone was paying attention to all the late night hosts except him, and to me he came off as this whiny attention whore who was desperately trying to insert himself into someone else's drama. Letterman and Leno obviously have an infamous history, and now Conan is involved, but Kimmel's just like "Look at me! Look at me guys! I'm involved in this thing too!"

Craig managed to talk about it without getting involved and acting like a massive tool. I don't really remember what Fallon did cause Fallon wasn't funny yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Yoshifan823 posted:

And just in case we've forgotten who the real king of late night is, Craig Ferguson just got Gary Oldman to dance with a fake horse.

edit: Seriously what does Craig do to charm literally every woman in Hollywood between the ages of 18 and 90-whatever Betty White is? I think it's the accent.

Watching Craig interact with women is just...idunno, mesmerizing. It's not (only) the accent there is just something about him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Aphrodite posted:

He also typically does a remote every night, which is always fun.

Wednesday is kind of weak. Adam Sandler! Seth Rogan! The 4th most popular cast member from the Big Bang Theory!

I was thinking Monday was the one to miss. I would take Moist from Dr Horrible over just about anything Sandler has assaulted an audience with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Craig did such a great job on TPiR, he got so loving excited whenever the contestants won. I grinned like an idiot the whole time. Craig is just pure entertainment.

Me too, that was great. I haven't see Carey on TLLS but I can't imagine he could be as entertaining as Craig was.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Oh my god you people are the WORST

Considering what is happening in some other threads in this subforum, I'd say we have a long, long, long way to go before we're the worst.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yes, but now he has his own show, and network TV has 5 really strong hosts on their late night shows.

Leno was gonna throw a poo poo fit no matter what.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Craig should move to cable. I hear Comedy Central has an opening.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Seriously y'all, watch this poo poo, especially if you feel like you've lost faith in Conan's show. And here's the first WikiBear segment he did too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SfSx9ts46A

I watched the second one first because it was linked first and it was okay, but holy poo poo the original is loving gold.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

quote:

CBS had said that the show would return for a second season, but the latenight strip was facing significant downgrades from stations and the Eye determined that the show would not be financially viable. The show was in reruns this week and will not resume production.

God drat, that is harsh. See what happens when Leno makes the announcement that you're getting a second season? They give you a week off and then suddenly all your poo poo has been moved out of your office and onto the curb.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kammat posted:

Arsenio has apparently been yanked. That would have been a fun interview.

Boooo. I was looking forward to that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is it wrong that I'm actually planning on watching Sharkupus vs Pteracuda? I don't think I've watched a cable movie (sober) ever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Y-Hat posted:

Just think, if Johnny Carson hadn't gotten all pissy about Joan Rivers having a very short-lived talk show of her own, she very well might have replaced him two decades ago instead of Jay Leno, and we wouldn't even be having this "late night talk show needs a woman host" discussion. She also would have been a much better host than Jay.

To be fair, many of Joan River's wigs would have been a better host than Jay.

Is Worldwide Pants going to be involved in the CBS late night lineup after Dave and Craig leave? If not then there's really no question that Craig would have no say in the matter.

JohnSherman posted:

If his appearances on Conan are any indication, it's really not.

MacDonald wasn't just offensively unfunny, he's the kind of guy that makes you kinda nervous and uncomfortable and twitchy just to watch him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Irish Joe posted:

That's his schtick. To his credit, MacDonald talked about wanted to change the format of the show to something more like Tom Snyder's Late Night. It might've been a terrible idea in execution, but at least its something a little more interesting than having a sixth late night host doing the same tired poo poo night after night.

I can respect wanting to try something new, the thing is it still needs to be good. I've never understood the "No no, it's not supposed to be funny, that's the joke!" train of thought. Even when you're unfunny and annoying on purpose you're still unfunny and annoying.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think we can all agree that Stephen Fry should move to LA and host a late night talk show in America.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Skunny Wundy posted:

Craig Ferguson could have gone balls deep in about two thirds of all the guests he's ever had, including both Kate Mara and Neil Patrick Harris. James Corden is too fat and English to bring that raw sexual grime to late night, and I don't see either of the Jimmys stepping up. I don't want to see that, either.

To be fair I don't think there's anyone anywhere that could flirt with guests the way Craig does.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I too have wished that naptime lasted forever on occasion.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stare-Out posted:

Has Craig done the show this week? He was supposed to have Jim Gaffigan on Monday night and another show last night but I can't find anything on either show anywhere. The newest ep on the CBS TLLS page is the 8/8 one.

Not that I've seen. I noticed the top youtube comment (the absolute worst of sources) was complaining there would be no new episodes until September. I wouldn't be surprised if he at least came in and recorded a cold opening or something for Robin.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gonz posted:

Martin Lawrence just announced Bad Boys 3 on Conan.

On an unrelated note, no garbage will be picked up in southern California today, as every available truck is currently filled with money and en route to Will Smith's house.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know I'm a few days behind, but Will Arnett needs to be sitting on the second couch goofing off with Andy during all Conan interviews.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rollofthedice posted:

I don't know who James Corden is. Is he an rear end in a top hat or something? Or just not funny?

I get the feeling I'll be disappointed regardless - Craig Ferguson is a hard person to find successors for. Hope he finds something else I can laugh at for years.

The only thing I know about him is the youtube clip that was linked in this thread where he was a jerk to Sir Patrick. I'm pretty sure this is enough research on my part to declare he's an rear end in a top hat and continue to not like him. I get the feeling CBS is trying to go for a network friendly version of John Oliver's talk show, but like every network attempt to copy something good that's on cable, it will fail miserably.

I wonder what the lasting effect of this year will be to late night TV in general? All four hosts changed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Irish Joe posted:

I hate to break it to you, but nothing is unscripted.

Craig rips up his cards and just flirts relentlessly! :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, I really like Serious Jibber Jabber. Conan's a really good interviewer but it's obvious he doesn't care about most of his celebrity guests. The episode with Mel Brooks was great, especially the WWII anecdote.

The scrapisode has some funny bits, but the real thing I took away from that is that Conan really gives zero fucks about anything. Also he has to carry a security guitar around with him at all times, which is really loving weird.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I'll watch it for the spectacle, but I'm not exactly happy about it. Five songs means they might be able to fit in one, maybe two good songs from the 80s, between schilling whatever recent war crime they have committed to disc now. One solid email jingle cover will make up for everything else though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

That was amazing. Bro shooters became a parody of themselves awhile ago, but I didn't realize they've come full circle and gotten awesome now.

Press X to pay respects.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think NBC owns those suits.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is the first time I've ever been legitimately sad to see a show end.

I'm glad we got to see Josh a bit, and that opening tonight was amazing, what song was that? The ending with Drew was great.

I was pretty ambivalent about Corden until his appearance a few nights ago, God it was absolutely awful. The worst part is you could tell he was trying to perform, he wasn't actually a genuinely shy dude being genuinely shy, like you'd get from a random audience member. He better get his poo poo together.

Dr Tran posted:

The Thursday show got to watch the big last cold open.

They didn't show the ending, either. Josh gave Craig some Doctor Who thing on the way out.

Please, please tell us what Bill Cosby said on the phone that got bleeped.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
https://twitter.com/HannahS597/status/546336919076864000

quote:

Bang Your Drum:
Bang Your Drum, Dead Man Fall | Format: MP3 Music
455,236%
Sales Rank in Songs: 358 (was 1,630,106…

Ha.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, I think the way things worked out for him in getting that 6 (or 10?) million provision for being passed over was the best possibly situation for Craig. CBS would have never allowed him to get away with half of what we came to love him for on the LLS, and he would've ended up hating it.

Yeah, it would have been depressing to see really. In addition to having to be blander due to the earlier time slot, he'd have to work directly for CBS instead of for Dave and WWP, who let him do whatever the gently caress he wanted.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My favorite Craig thing was one of Secretariats first appearances, when he ran headlong into the wall on his way out. I can't seem to find it on youtube :(

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I recall hearing him say he really wasn't happy with the all puppet show, and that was part of why puppets got phased out. Too bad, I remember liking that show, but I think it would get real stale if he tried it even a second time.

Does anyone have a clip of Secretariat running into the wall? It was a long time ago, like one of his first appearances. He came out, ran around while Craig did the Secretariat dance, and on his way out he ran head first into the wall right next to the door.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Robnoxious posted:

Craig reinvented and re imagined his show over the years several times. He went from horrible skit "cheeky monkey" sound fx guy (which was a carry over from Kilborn's show) to lewd Scot "in my pants" jokester.

Then, he added musical cold opens (my personal favorites) which he likely lifted a bit from his stint on The Drew Carey Show since they were popular when he was Mr. Wick-ing it up.

The puppets added a bit of mad nonsense and then he incorporated them with several cold music opens.

The Censorship Lady always felt shoehorned in, as if there was a mandate from CBS brass to include women into the show and make it less a men's club. Whatever the reason it just didn't work. It had it's moments especially when Censorship Lady started lowering her guard and started tarting it up. Then she was gone.

The gay robot skeleton and the pantomime horse started off as absurd but evolved into what most people will remember from the show. Geoff started with like seven phrases until Grant (and specifically Josh) really went to work to give Geoff some life. Secretariat was always a one off bit but Americans don't get a lot of silliness with pantomime horses like in Britain. I think Craig kept Secretariat around simply because he found delight in making a very stupid and common caricature in British humor become popular and well known in America.

Craig will never get proper credit for what he had done but The Late Late Show really did spin the format on it's ear.

Yeah, it's easy to forget how bad early Geoff was. Another really fond Craig memory I have is after he had Geoff for three or four days, back when Geoff was sitting in the second chair. Craig had made this huge deal about his future robot sidekick, doing remotes with Grant, and a count down until Geoff's debut, then it was pretty underwhelming. One time Geoff did something stupid and not particularly funny, Craig looks at the camera and goes, "hey, I'm stuck with this now, all right?"

He did a great job of figuring out how to make it work eventually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

slartibartfast posted:

Beth was first used as the voice of the animatronic rhino head above the fireplace. This was, I think, the first attempt to freshen up the show after the audience got used to Geoff being live performance. I don't even think the rhino - as a character - lasted a week.

I remember her voice coming out of the rhino once. I remember it being after her stint as the cbs censor though. I remember being really impressed because by that point they had been in the studio for several months, and the rhino has been there all this time and had never talked, even though it apparently could all along!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Drew was pretty terrible as a guest host on April Fools, especially compared to how good Craig did as a game show host.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I watched the cold open and monologue. It was...meh.

I don't think I'll be able to watch much of the guest hosts. Every time they cut to Drew's announcer guy, I got irrationally angry. Not because he's especially bad (he's certainly not good though), but just because how dare that little poo poo stand in Geoff's spot. That's Geoff's spot! Are you Geoff Peterson? No? Then, you get the gently caress out!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Frostwerks posted:

You want to see something really dire, watch Conan's first monologue back from the break.He whiffed on like four or five jokes on a row. It was painful.

I did actually! I don't usually watch Conan, but I couldn't find Drew's entire episode on youtube, so I decided an episode of Conan would do. I know the thread loved the hell out of Conan's scraps episode, and I found it interesting, but ever since watching it, I can't help but notice how much Conan absolutely does not give a poo poo about anything at all. Watching the tribute to Craig that talked about why late night TV sucks immediately followed by watching Conan's first show of the year just cemented that fact further. During his first guest interview, there was this huge talking point about how she had a terrible memory and couldn't remember anything lol, and then Conan just moved on to the next bullet point on his card, and asked her if she remembered seeing him years ago at a White House event thing. It was pretty obvious Andy was the only person paying the slightest bit of attention to the conversation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This is amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

With the first guest, by the end I wasn't sure if it was a guest or a skit. Then the other guests came on. Nope, that's just how this dude interviews.

I know everyone who hosts a talk show at 12:30 jokes about how low the production values are, but these guest hosts have this super low rent feel to them, I haven't decided if it's offputting, hilarious, or sad. It might be a little of all of them. The one episode of Gaffigan I watched seriously felt like some dude in his living room, hanging out with his family and friends, the next dude was great because he's a producer who apparently knows everyone in Hollywood rather than a talk show personality. Regis is Regis. And now there's a blizzard so they have to make due with whatever, and whoever, they can find in the building, and they ended up with some intern and his buddy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dr Tran posted:

Why is this happening after Craig has left?

This makes me think CBS is mad at Craig, and wants to show him what he gave up.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Triumph was okay, but did that guy at the beginning really say step up you loving gay baby? If more places here would call me a gay baby when I ordered, I'd never eat at home again. :allears:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As I recall, when Conan was at the top of his game, several years before getting the Tonight Show, he wanted the Tonight Show or he was gonna look at other networks. He was amazing at the time, so NBC did the whole 'Leno retires in 5 years' thing. By the time Conan finally got the tonight show, he wasn't nearly as funny IMO. He's had his moments since, but I don't think he's even been as consistently amazing as he was back when the deal was struck. That doesn't justify the whole Tonight Show drama nonsense though, he deserved more time to settle into the role than 7 months, but at least we got some of the best late night TV ever out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't know anyone could maintain that high pitched "I'm completely fake and lying right now" tone of voice for so long.