Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Burt Reynolds in bad shape? Didn't even have him do a walkout on Conan

He also didn't do a walk-out on Colber' when he was on in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I never followed Pod Save America, I've only seen one or two of their late night appearances, what's the deal with them? (I mean why are they turds?)

They are aggressively centrist Obama-fanboys, basically, and this doesn't sit too well with some people.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Same to you pwn, thanks for posting these listings! :)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Has Kimmel actually appeared on WWE, maybe to shave someone, or is that a gag belt of some sort?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What a weird segment :ms:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's cheaper than I would've guessed!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As much noise as Jon made about getting off "bullshit mountain" post-escalator, I don't think his style of ranting incredulously at the camera would have worked particularly well for the Trump era.

I wonder what kind of show Colber' imagined he would be making, since they all assumed Hillary would win. Satirizing Trump and his orbitals a la the Repor' would not have really worked*, I guess he found his audience by just venting his spleen nightly and commiserating with a certain crowd? At least it did wonders for his ratings.

*I seem to be one of the few people on the planet who found Our Cartoon President funny, but if anything the cartoon Trump was more... Comprehensible than the man himself

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Are you kidding? Oliver on his show prayed for Trump to run, thinking about all the comedy that would come of it. He never actually thought he would win.

John Oliver's "please run mister Trump" bit was actually when he was guest hosting the Daily Show, and he made fun of himself for doing that on Last Week Tonight years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_QnKtBH8w

There's also an interview of Oliver on Colber' in the spring of 2016 where they discuss Oliver now "having to care" about Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x056ioqqn8A

John Oliver, a land of contrasts, and mocking everything British :britain:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Lady is married to Obama

Shouldn't that make her more likely to appreciate the nerdery around court politics that is inherent to the reference?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Corden is sort of funny in his own right, but I do not like his show's format where the guests interact. Nb I have not tried Corden out in many years, so if his show is different now, good for him!

Although I think Graham Norton is okay? He liquors up his guests and they have the most ridiculous stories and interactions, but I never found that in Corden.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pwn posted:

(Gestures to his 25-minute commercial for Space Force that aired tonight)

He name-dropped the Kzinti, all is forgiven :unsmith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you for doing these week after week, you are a wonderful resource for all of us talk show fans.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope big furry hat never comes back, and that The Word does. It was one of my favourite bits from TCR, along with "better know a district" where they were all better known as "the fightin' <number>".

Better Know a District would be great with the 'real' Colber'. You'd think they'd have the budget.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pwn posted:

Producing the 12:35 show is almost certainly part of his contract, if his agent is worth anything. I wouldn't think that this is some passion project of his but who knows.

Given the way he "jokes" about his wealth, you're most likely right (didn't he have an episode where he spent an interview making fun of his manager with a guest who also had that guy as a manager?), but Colber' has given a spot on his show to comedians too, and that's kind of cool?

Also, am I the only one who thought Our Cartoon President was funny :smith: Colber' was a producer and a voice in that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Life comes at you pretty hard

But that is a great poster, geez!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thank you for making the time and effort for these posts pwn, I for one appreciate them a lot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I have three separate drives where I've copied all my media stuff to, so even if one of them makes the click noise I have my Colber' and Stargate on another drive. Obviously this is a bit of an investment, but you have a hard drive fail on you once and you learn a hard lesson :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

pwn posted:

tl,dr: Networks are dying but SNL and Kimmel are doing business.

I'm not American so my exposure to these shows is via different methods, but this is a really interesting look at it, thank you so much for posting it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Djarum posted:

Yeah it has been known for awhile that Late Night has had a problem. The format has gotten stale, there is an oversaturation of celebrity promotion and the comedy has been the worst kind of bland. It doesn't help that every part immediately gets put on Youtube.

Kimmel has done ok with ABC leveraging him immediately after events and them using things like live music to push interest. They are doing better than the rest but that isn't saying much.

What isn't talked about enough is how Nightline used to slay Leno and Letterman back in the hay day of Late Night. I am sure if it was still around it probably would be killing everything on still.

Late Night needs a serious shake up, both in format and in content. The would be viewers of Late Night content are a lot more out there in terms of their comedy and interests yet the shows have gotten more safe, sterile and boring. They are more tame than Carson ever was and let's be frank, Carson never ruffled a feather. You get a 14-26 year old in front of anything that is being produced on these shows and they are going to complain about how lame it is. You got 40+ year olds trying to make entertainment for 60+ year olds. It just isn't going to work.

And the standard talk show format just doesn't work anymore. You don't have someone like Letterman or Conan now who are excellent interviewers and extremely quick witted to keep something going. Why is someone going to sit and watch someone answer preinterview questions on any of these shows when they could watch the same person on Hot Ones for example which gets the person out of their comfort zone and a little more human?

I think there is room for something new and different. I think everyone is so scared of being first. I had been surprised that Adult Swim never took a swim but Lazlo never had the budget.

Isn't Colbert (whom I watch) something like 58? Of course the writers' room is going to have younger folks too.

You're right though that late night is repeating a pattern that isn't exciting or interesting to anyone who doesn't watch it already for nostalgia reasons. Or out of habit.

But if you did make a ruder, grim-darker version of late night, who would tune in? Would it be late night anymore? Young people probably stream most of what they watch in some form or another, so the moniker doesn't really make sense if you're watching Fallon make chit-chat with an X-man while you're on your lunch break, or whatever. My guess is late night will trundle on more or less as it is, until it dies out as television keeps transitioning into new markets and forms of presenting itself.

I mean hell, SVU just got another season and that show, while not as fun as it was in the 00's, hasn't really changed much in its general pattern. Just to pick an example out of another old media franchise, though I would hazard a guess that SVU viewers tend to the older side by now too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't disagree with you. For example, my favourite bits of Colbert from recent times were when he brought back "the Wörd". Colbert himself is a fairly plain old Christian nice dude, and that just doesn't have the chaos energy of Colber' the character who would say just the most stupid possible poo poo to get a rise out of whoever was being interviewed.

To bring that back to your example, what happened in dorm rooms last century probably can't be replicated by television today. There's so much content being pushed out, and most of it garbage but all the same, for younger people to watch on their phones that there won't be that kind of cultural milestone, if you can call it that, of early Conan. "Regular" television will focus on the murder and sex shows, because older folks like that, and there isn't really the same kind of space for a hard-hitting talk show since there isn't an immediate audience. I'm not sure how to break this Gordian's knot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Conan is the GOAT

Shub-Niggurath, the goat with a thousand young?

I mean I guess he has the skin tone that Lovecraft would go for.

(I'm sorry pwn, we goons get a little silly when the shows are dark, this is a wonderful thread!)

edit: as penance, here is Colber' dancing with a war criminal

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 4, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Late night talk shows: Holes with water and toys and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Timby posted:

Because Lorne has always loved Fallon for some unfathomable reason, and since Lorne has been the god king of NBC late night since 2009 (well, 2014 is when he took over everything, assuming control over The Tonight Show after Leno stepped down in addition to being in charge of Late Night), whatever Lorne wants, Lorne gets.

This all sounds like someone knows something and is holding it over their influential heads. I guess I'm prone to cynicism when it comes to powerful media people and what several of them have gotten up to that "everybody knows" about :smith: I mean neither Jimmy is to my tastes per se, but Fallon in particular is such a void of a person. Maybe this is one of those Hanlon's razor moments, attributing it all to stupidity is still a safer bet than outright malice?