Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I hope this works the way I think it does. It should be a pretty versatile card. I know it doesn't look as impressive as Mizzium Mortars, but I had Young Peezy in mind when I made it, so it has the potential to be a blowout.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

I know what you're going for, but you might want to still change it to "target creature you don't control" or drop the overload cost by two mana or so, because as is, it's ridiculously impractical or just otherwise edge case-y.

Oops, you're right. I meant it to say 'creature you don't control.' I think I can drop the cost a little, but not too much.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

It's hard to find Greek fantasy-styled art. So pretend that dude doesn't have armor, but instead a toga or something...

I had a sort of "Flatliners" idea in mind. This dude nearly dies to get some insight and become stronger...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 7, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cumulative Upkeep and Threshold.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

edit:

Let's see if Exile works any better...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 14, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

This one seemed pretty obvious, although I'm not entirely sold on the casting cost.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ Really it just makes it so that StarCity Games decided which cards sell.

Here's some fun for the upcoming Journey...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

zgrowler2 posted:

Antagonistic white meant to act as targeted removal or nullification for small-to-mid-size creatures.

Missed a good opportunity for flavor text to say "How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

The most flavorful word on this card is "another."

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 20, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I hope these feel like solid limited fodder.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

buuump

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I like it, but card draw of that power is hard to come by in red's color pool. My suggestion would be to have the additional cost be to discard your hand, a la Dangerous Wager.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

e: oops...didn't read the card...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

So I like demons, but I don't like slapping a big effect on one, costing it at 8 and calling it a day. So here's some "not-quite-demons" cards:

Purple symbol, because it has to be a super-special supplemental card, because it means exactly what it says, and that means without Underground Sea or Joiner Adept, you ain't bringin' Babu to the party.

Throw Nylea's Presence on two of your lands and 'voila,' two swamps that produce red and blue mana. :eng101:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I don't like man-lands. :colbert:
But I made some anyways...

I tried to make them feel uncommon.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 21, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

Had this sitting around, though I don't consider it anything special. We'll see what else I can come up with. Not even sure if it's formatted correctly.

I think this is cool, but the template probably doesn't need to specify that the targetted creature already has equipment attached to it. Something like "Target creature gains +X/+X until end of turn, where X is equal to the converted mana cost of an equipment of your choice that is attached to it."

e: of your choice, because it could have multiple equipped items.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Eeevil posted:

My cards so far this round didn't seem dumb enough, so I made this.

I would say "...blocking up to X target unblocked creatures..."
The way it's templated, you have to create exactly 1 1/1 to block a single attacking creature, two 2/2s to block 2 attacking creatures, and so forth...

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I love that she's trapped Smash Mouth in her magic bubble. :smithmouth:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

e: waaay to expensive. Toned down the mana costs.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 3, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Here, have a Dunk Frisco:

e: lol just realized that's a chopped-up picture, but meh, whatever. You get the idea.

e2: I'm not sure how the layers work with this -- It's meant so that an insurrection could outright win you the game. However, if you lose all the creatures you stole at the end of the turn before the trigger because LAYERS, then I would reduce the number of permanents required to win down to five.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 5, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Is it possible for multiple players to win at the same time with that card?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Here's one I made a while back, but I updated it a little bit.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I could very well be phoning this one in. I fiddled around with letting the Oozes find their own way to make +1/+1 counters (they usually do) and then giving them a way to use the counters as payment for something cool, a la Experiment One, but most of the things I found myself making them do were just durdly, or counter to Green's desire to get big and smash.

So, I just made an Ooze lord that helps Oozes get big and smash.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gynovore posted:

This guy is a bit too good all by himself. A 5/5 with trample for 4 who gets a counter every turn is arguably better than Polukranos.

Is Polukranos broken?

E: Honestly, I think it's more like a Kalonian Hydra, where by the time it starts swinging, it's an 8/8 or something. It also has the added benefit of helping out other Oozes too.
Kalonian Hydra didn't bust apart the metagame. This dude is Legendary, and Mythic to boot.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Slow day at work. I think I got a little carried away...

:siren:YOU'RE A WIZARD, HARRY!:siren:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

(sorry: artist uncredited, the closest thing I could find to an artist credit is by the image uploader Ryuuken)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Seriously yeah. 5 would be about the right cost for this.

You're right.

Also, just for kicks.

This is essentially Manalith + Jace's Ingenuity, with the downside of having to sac the Manalith.

I don't know if this has been done before, but I feel like it's a nice little tribal ramp. Could be real fun with sacrifice effects.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 27, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dat Octopus flavor ^^^

I really like those. I think the Research Dummy can just be templated "When you sacrifice Research Dummy, draw two cards." Only a card's controller can sacrifice a card, and whether or not an opponent makes you sacrifice, or you sacrifice it yourself is irrelevant.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Alris posted:

A dude from the deck Noble Bloodlines, revolving around lots of Vampires, a chunk of Lifelink and effects that involve life sacrifice for both you and your opponent.

It's a good card, but it bugs me that it isn't Stromkirk Sanguimancer.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I love top-down design! Here we go!

First, a slight rework of Attended Knight, Better in some situations, worse in others.

And the appropriate token to match

Next, a common aura that I think matches the flavor of the art. If there were a smaller version of the art, my card could show that he is flying, but you've seen the full art, so:

Next, a RUG commander (and Mistform Ultimus is an auto-include).

Finally, a new mechanic I've been kicking around that acts sort of like Hideaway and Cipher. I imagine other Inhabit cards with more static effects (like anthems) or ones that give the lands abilities (like an inhabit Caustic Tar), etc. Here goes...

Whaddya think, sirs?

edit: Here's my art contribution. Unfortunately, GIS doesn't show any useful artist information...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 29, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Some more fun with top-down design:

This one is a Master of Predicaments with a Diabolic Tutor twist. The upside: you can search for any card you want. The downside is, of course, if they guess correctly, the card is gone forever. I'm not sure whether the ability to cast it immediately is too broken. If it is, I will downgrade it to putting the card into your hand instead of being able to cast it from exile.

Next, a legendary creature. The first ability is pretty boilerplate for Izzet. I think it's pretty powerful on its own, but I wanted to give him a little more tribal flair, so I had him give all Orcs the Heroic ability. I was on the fence about conferring the ability to Goblins as well, a la Orcish General, but with the upcoming set featuring Orcs, maybe the ability will stand on its own.

And here's some art to play around with:

Illus: Sandara on DeviantArt

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Slow day at work...

A Welkin Tern for an artifact-themed set. (Sorry if this has been done already -- I didn't play in Mirrodin).

The characters in the art seem like the caretakers for the machine, and I wanted to bring that alive with the card rules. I started with the Artificers being 1/1, but decided that putting down 8 power for 6 mana at is pretty powerful, not to mention this being an uncommon card. It's still pretty powerful to put down 3 chump blockers if need be, and it's pretty vulnerable to things like Drown in Sorrow or Bile Blight.

And, the hardest one to design:

I look at it now, and it looks clean, but I went through a lot of iterations on this card, taking it past Baneslayer Angel levels, and realizing it was way too powerful. I think this is a simple, and more elegant way to represent all three colors and keep the power level at rare. It's a powerful creature on the field, and an abuseable edict effect if you have graveyard recursion like Deny Death in white or a multitude of spells in black.
I'm happiest with this one.

Here's some more art:

illus: Kekai Kotaki

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Galileo!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Art for thought:

illus: Alex Tornberg

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The internet has some seriously unfortunate vampire art. I had to go with the art without gratuitous boobs, even though it doesn't show flying. Sorry about that.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

This won't hurt you if you don't have cards in hand at the start of your turn, since you draw after your upkeep. I'm fine with that, since trying to work around it just makes it wordier.

I like that it doesn't hurt you if you're Hellbent. That's very Rakdos. Having it check cards in hand after the draw step means it will deal 1 damage no matter what, and that seems like an unnecessary drawback.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Sacrifices a number of creatures equal to the difference between...

Loses life equal to the difference between...

The last one is weirdest because it suggests continuous incremental life loss in instances of 1 until that number matches your life total, as opposed to one large chunk of life (triggering only one instance of life lost).

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Hey it's Worldfire's best friend!

edit: :psyduck: How do you lose the game? Do you lose the game for having exactly 1 life? Once your life total is brought below 1, you don't die. So just bring your life total 1 and then kill your opponent.

• Locked thread