Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sleep of Bronze posted:

(I spent some fun time coming up with all sorts of utterly evil flavour text for this card. Also an entry for 'things Magic has never done before', I believe).

http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3A%22that+was+dealt+damage+this+turn%22&v=card&s=cname

It's been done, just not with that templating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Mikujin posted:

Text cleanup
Many thanks sir. Updated card edited in now.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Veyrall posted:

Many thanks sir. Updated card edited in now.

No worries. One reminder is that multiple instances of the word 'target' are almost always unnecessary unless each instance refers to a new targeted object. If a new effect doesn't have new targets, there's usually another way effects of that nature are worded (in this case, 'creatures blocking that dude').

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Huh, neat.

More horrible wrenches of combat maths.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 16, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

This is my entry this week. Wording probably needs a little work, not sure if there is a better way to word the casting restriction. Plus I am rear end at coming up with flavor text so I have declined to add any this time.

I like that it has much different implications in different situations. If you're just attacking with a lot of dudes and they don't block you can burn the card for a huge life swing. If you're blocking you can surprise take out their large men, but since this is white 'removal' they gain life in exchange. In multiplayer it could have quite a lot of potential for blowouts and game swings.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

This is my entry this week. Wording probably needs a little work, not sure if there is a better way to word the casting restriction
Just say "cast only during the declare blockers step"

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

I could not find any decent art for this one. Pretty reliant on having an equipment in hand, but could get you a bit of choice depending on what you need. I was going to have a non-legendary clause in it, but there are actually only a handful of legendary equipment cards so it seemed like a why bother exception.

A bit surprised something like this doesn't exist, but it makes for a fun combat trick.

This one got wordy and I don't like it that much anymore, but I wanted it to be something that doubled your creatures. My original idea was that it would target an enemy creature and that one would "see double" but I was having a harder time coming up with wording for that one.

This one felt red despite creatures getting changed permanently, but I guess that's what the mythic rarity is kinda there for. It just seemed very fun to put the words "creature is a coward" on a card.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Regenerate plus fight feels kind of black and green to me, but there's no reason it actually has to be anything other than green, so this seems like a good way to do it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Why target creature you don't control instead of another target creature?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Why target creature you don't control instead of another target creature?

Mostly just because that's how the majority of fight spells work. I didn't actually think about the distinction much, is it important?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eeevil posted:

Mostly just because that's how the majority of fight spells work. I didn't actually think about the distinction much, is it important?

Not really. It's half a line of text that prevents the opponent from playing Misdirection effects, other than that it doesn't do much unless you are trying to do something weird and dumb like abuse Predator Ooze or something like that.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Spectral Werewolf posted:

A bit surprised something like this doesn't exist, but it makes for a fun combat trick.

Seriously, it doesn't? This is great. The flavor is about perfect too. What the hell, Wizards, get on this.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Seriously, it doesn't? This is great. The flavor is about perfect too. What the hell, Wizards, get on this.

Necrobite is kind of close.

Also, is it meant to be until end of turn?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't quite get the flavor of decapitating your guy to give him bonuses.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Sleepy Owl posted:

Necrobite is kind of close.

Also, is it meant to be until end of turn?

Oops, yeah that should be end of turn.

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't quite get the flavor of decapitating your guy to give him bonuses.

Uh, well, the blocking creature doesn't expect your creature's head to fly off and kill him.

How about this then for some fixes:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bugs just come crawlin' out of every place.

I honestly have no idea who the artist is, the image is so popular and used by everyone that I can't find the source. Also have no idea how to do 1/2 symbols without them looking like mana symbols.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I think this is something blue could do...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zephirum posted:

I think this is something blue could do...

GET IN MY EPHARA BLINK EDH DECK NOW.

It's a rather appealing card. Not absurdly amazing, but so abusable.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Offer your creature up to the gods so that he may do :krad: damage (Especially if he's blocking the gods.)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Thor-Stryker posted:

Offer your creature up to the gods so that he may do :krad: damage (Especially if he's blocking the gods.)

Templating :eng101:

quote:

Until end of turn, target creature may block any number of creatures and has "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to target creature or player."

If you really want to you could put an additional timing restriction on when you can cast the card since it needs to be cast before the Declare Blockers step to do anything, but I figured it was unnecessary.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Mikujin posted:

Templating :eng101:

If you really want to you could put an additional timing restriction on when you can cast the card since it needs to be cast before the Declare Blockers step to do anything, but I figured it was unnecessary.

Well, you can use it as part of the boros charm/az charm combo whenever.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

My cards so far this round didn't seem dumb enough, so I made this.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 20, 2014

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Look at all these cards that specify the declare blockers step. So inelegant.

Sleepy Owl posted:

Wall Lightning
Stall Lightning
Brawl Lightning

Finally found a good enough picture.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Eeevil posted:

My cards so far this round didn't seem dumb enough, so I made this.

I would say "...blocking up to X target unblocked creatures..."
The way it's templated, you have to create exactly 1 1/1 to block a single attacking creature, two 2/2s to block 2 attacking creatures, and so forth...

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I would say "...blocking up to X target unblocked creatures..."
The way it's templated, you have to create exactly 1 1/1 to block a single attacking creature, two 2/2s to block 2 attacking creatures, and so forth...

That's intentional.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That doesn't feel powerful enough at that cost to be rare.

Especially since against a a single attacker with toughness >1 it's just a 4-mana fog.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Consider that you can make a 5/5 wurm as a blocker at instant speed for 4 mana at rare and suddenly this rare combat trick is a garbage common. A 3+X CMC fog that doesn't guarantee you keep any of the dudes is super weak.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Contest is now closed. I'll be going through the entries soon, then post the winner.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Alrighty, here's the top five of this week's contest, chosen by your ridiculously biased judge.

5th Place - Showtime, by Thrazidun Everblight

This is a very interesting card. +5/+0 is an absolutely insane bonus, especially when you plan to give it your own creatures, but the effect is kept in check by the need for the creatures to survive the 3 damage first, so token strategies don’t fare too well with this. It’s probably undercosted, due to how easily it can absolutely ruin your opponent's board in the early game, but I love the effect too much to pass up.

4th Place - Exult in Victory, by Sleep of Bronze

This is just good fun. I think the biggest thing holding it back though is that there aren’t going to be too many ideal situations to use this in. If your opponent didn’t block, then when you cast this, chances are you’re about to trade creatures. Even so, I really like the potential it has in multiplayer games, so this one’s in my top five.

3rd Place - Persona of Awe, by Zephirum

A really good effect that remains fair. It doesn’t rob creatures of abilities, and a 4-mana instant 2/2 flyer that will likely kill something the turn it lands is nothing to scoff at. A very solid card overall.

2nd Place - Blank, by Eeevil

I love both the simplicity and the versatility. You can cast this at the beginning of an opponent’s turn to shut down almost any permanent that’s giving you headaches. The dream scenario I have for this is to cast this on Avacyn and murder the poo poo out of my opponent’s now-mortal army.

1st Place - Decapitator, by Spectral Werewolf

This is something that I’m surprised doesn’t already exist. It’s simple, it’s brutal, and it's versatile. But even then, why this, especially when we already have Terminate? Two reasons. The first is that it kills Hexproof creatures. Any tool that can be used instantly against Hexproof creatures without being obviously designed solely for that purpose is A Good Thing in my book. The second reason is that it can give red and black some serious bluffing potential in combat. If your opponent knows you're running this, you can sometimes get away with attacking into larger creatures. It's for these reason that I'm naming Decapitator the winner.

So congratulations to Spectral Werewolf! You are this week's winner!

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

So congratulations to Spectral Werewolf! You are this week's winner!

Woo hoo, I finally did it! I've had something in mind should I finally win, so I'll post the details tomorrow morning when I get back from work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I made a joke card, then realized it doesn't fit the theme. But I like it so have it anyway.

Congrats Spectral Werewolf. Looking forward to the next theme.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

This week’s theme: Card Groupings

From time to time, a set or a block will have cards that are specifically made to be played together. While there have been several past card groupings, I most recently enjoyed the the M14 group of Cauldron, Newt and Witch. I consider it the best example of a fun card grouping:

It’s a very flavorful combination, most pieces work well by themselves and while having each piece of the group has great effects, it’s still effective with a partial combo.

Rules:
1. Each group should be 2 to 4 cards.
2. Each card in the group should specifically refer to and/or be referred by another card in the group.

If you really can’t help yourself and need to make something like a five color five card combo, please post it anyway. It won’t be considered as an entry, but we’re all here to have fun trying to make cards and we want to see what you’ve got.

Other examples:

Nissa’s +1 has the most common effect among groupings of tutoring for a specific creature. (See also the heralds in Shards of Alara)

Kamigawa’s Unspeakable bringing a big bonus for casting a specific combination of spells.

Mirrodin’s Legendary equipment granting each other bonuses.

Let’s have the cutoff for entries be Friday, May 30 at 7:00 AM EST, I’ll post my picks shortly after that.

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 21, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, this should be a fun contest. Particularly since it has one of my favorite combination of cards of all time.

fake edit: Wait, this Friday? I mean, contest lengths are whatever the person picks, but wouldn't at least five days be best?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Whoops, how do I read a calendar?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Like the Witch/Cauldron/Newt set, I went to flavour for inspiration.

This I already had lying around, an attempt to capture the flavour of Kataki's Kamigawa vignette. The climax is in this quote:

quote:

“My vengeance has been denied,” said the kami, and the ground seemed to shake beneath me. The wind rose in a howl.

“I don’t . . “ I started to protest, but my words were lost in the rising wind.

“Long ago, one had offended me,” said the kami, “It was slain by another, who was slain by another still, each in turn seeking to appease me, but each in turn denying my vengeance. Each offender has perished before I could rend their soul and reduce them to an eternity of suffering. And now you have done the same, you and your miserable village. And so you gain my enmity and retribution as well.”

I realized that the kami were indeed mad, and nothing we had done – act, debate, argue, slay or not slay, would have made a difference. I had damned my village the moment I had rescued the dead warrior.

It had only taken this long for us to die.

And suddenly I realized that the old warrior knew. The cursed warrior had shaped his responses so that I would give him the release he needed, and take on the mantle of his curse, become the one chased by War’s Wage.

And I knew what must happen next.

I turned my face from Kataki, and began to run.

If you get the Deserter by himself, it's obviously time to start abusing fight or lure effects (and hope your opponent doesn't have the same). And Kataki by himself is a serviceable 2/2 first striker for 3.

The other flavour that seemed to lend itself to this was the caste system of Bant. The higher up the chain you go, the more help they can call in. And the more ridiculous your exalted bonus gets.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

An Illusions of Grandeur inspired card that's also taken from Demon's Souls, except without so much abuse possible with it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ramos posted:

An Illusions of Grandeur inspired card that's also taken from Demon's Souls, except without so much abuse possible with it.
Dutiful Follower should probably have the Flagbearer type, even without the ability, since it functions similarly. I like the Kookus/Keeper of Kookus interaction here. Some other templating cleanup:

"When you lose control of Fool's Idol, discard your hand"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like this but with the drawback you could maybe even crank it up to "at the end of your draw step" instead of just a 1-time ETB effect.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:dance: Does this technically count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zephirum posted:

:dance: Does this technically count?

This seems pretty over-costed and under-powered. Assemble three specific artifacts in order to... Assembler three other artifacts in your hand?

Especially given that the first ability excludes this card from becoming a cantrip, I could definitely see something like:

quote:

Keymaster's Vault 2
Artifact
1, T, exile another artifact you control: Search your library for a card named Cloud Key, Voltaic Key, or Galvanic Key, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

4, T, exile three artifacts you control named Cloud Key, Voltaic Key, and Galvanic Key: Search your library for up to three artifact cards, reveal them, and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

• Locked thread