Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lifg posted:

Before you jump ship, tell your boss what you're feeling. A lot of bosses actually do care for their employees happiness level. (Even if for no other reason than working around unhappy people sucks.) There might be a way back to doing something you enjoy.

But whatever you decide, don't let your skills stagnate. No matter what.

Even if they care, if you have a particular level of domain knowledge around a client / product, good luck getting most of them to do anything about it but make empty promises. In my personal experience, when I start getting pigeonholed, that's the beginning of the end of my employment there. It just happened with a coworker last week. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen to me again here.

Sure, "it's called work for a reason", but there are too few of us and too much demand to be the resident X client or Y product bitch for longer than a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

That sounds like bad management, because as soon as you start pigeonholing people then your team is not a team, so much as it's a loosely bound collection of single points of failure.

You go on vacation, get sick, quit, or get hit by a bus, and suddenly there goes that domain knowledge that apparently mattered so much that only you could do that job.

It is bad management. And that just happened when a coworker got fed up and quit. But it took that to really convince anyone that it was a real problem. Always a Catch 22 with this stuff. Stay? No change. Leave? I'd rather have your skill set than X client.

It's a hard sell to stay even with promises of change, but living in a flyover state has downsides.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

I went through a range of emotions after reading this post.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Anyone doing 1099 work full time for a single "employer"? There's a remote-only position I'm eyeing that's 1099, but the Glassdoor rates look very generous for flyover territory and most of the reviewers seem positive and optimistic.

I have a general grasp on W2 vs. 1099, but the only time I've ever done this before was freelance here and there as side work. Health insurance isn't an issue (spouse's coverage), but I generally have no idea how things like vacation / holiday work in that kind of environment. Is having 40 hours every week a legit concern? What should I be asking in interviews?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

leper khan posted:

You work everything into your rate. 40 hours can be a concern, as can stability.

There are a bunch of issues on the employer side if they don't handle it correctly. It's a bit cheaper for them, but most places eventually switch to w-2 to avoid tax investigations and litigation from workers due to misclassification.

It did seem a little odd that a place of 200 odd people would be entirely independent contractors. It can't be that easy to stay within the boundaries.

Maybe that's a plus?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

We still advertise beer taps on our listings I think, even though the lines haven't been cleaned in probably 3 years and the kegs haven't been changed in at least a year and a half. The culture was a lot better when the kegs were changed regularly I guess, but that's more the former causing the latter.

I kind of mindlessly group free beer in with the "nerf warz!" and "catered lunches!" nonsense when I see it in that I'll apply if the product sounds interesting and they don't seem too overbearing with it.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Steve French posted:

Wait, I must be misunderstanding. It's taken your office over a year and a half to finish some kegs of beer? Or you mean they are empty?

They're empty.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I don't have any problem with it, but it always seems to be substituting for higher wages or bonuses or training or conferences or hiring any technical people that aren't strictly developers or

Maybe one day I'll be less cynical about these "benefits".

Iverron
May 13, 2012

baquerd posted:

Give it a few more months or a year or two at most. Good culture never seems to endure, or maybe I'm just terribly unlucky.

Almost always management's fault in my experience. When the good people start leaving bad management, so goes the culture.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Hey, that's what I'm trying to do!

Speaking of which:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how desperate would you have to be to take a remote job for a company with no current remote employees? The product seems interesting but that just really feels like bad idea.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Yeah that's pretty much where I was at. I think I'll try to vet out at least a 50/50 ratio.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

- The parent company has 2 very high level people assigned to this project (both pretty obnoxious) and it's clear they have very little interest in working on it. They spent time in planning shredding the POC/benchmarking that my team (before I was here) did and were nitpicking the everliving gently caress out of the findings report to a point where it became uncomfortable and borderline combative

I've run into this kind of behavior with just about every company we've done work for that had an onsite dev team we complimented. It's job security, alpha bullshit.

- While my boss is a nice guy, he's very quiet and reserved and isn't doing a great job of communicating with me what I should be working on or what I can do to help at this point. I am getting the vibe that he may be frustrated with the other side of the team and could be a little checked out but I also don't know what his other responsibilities are as outside of the new pipeline

Also probably job security bullshit. This is either just bad management or he's keeping his head down during the transition period.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

He might be a bad manager, sure. But he's very smart and not a dickhead so I'm patient with him.

It's very odd to me that they didn't tell me
In the interview that the rest of my team is remote except for my boss who works from home 3 days a week. I don't need my hand held at all, but I am still growing and having a team spread between three time zones - 3 hours back and 5 ahead - might get tough for me.

I've had that type before. I never really had to worry about my job under them, but I had lots of trouble effecting any needed change and getting real feedback.

There's certainly much worse management out there, including my current boss.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Is every company poorly managed?

Yes, mostly.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

You can decide for yourself what your work ethic is. If you want work no more than 40 hours per week because you've decided this is a job and you'd rather live as much of your own life as possible, that's fine. But you have to realize that this may alienate the people on your team that put in more time, as well as many management types who just expect you to break your own back for the company because this is 'Murrica dammit.

Me, I have an unspoken agreement with the people I work with and for: I won't be a clock watcher if you won't. That means if you need me during a midnight maintenance window or an emergency outage triage or even several weeks of crunch time, I'll be there. In return, you don't get on my case if I have to be in late in the morning or leave early in the afternoon because I have to take care of some personal business of whatever nature, or want to take a nap, or want to sleep in because I was with you in that aforementioned midnight maintenance window. Evaluate my work, not my time. If I'm not getting enough done, let's talk about it. But do not frame the conversation in terms of when I start and when I leave.

As far as your immediate situation, crunch is crunch and whether you're working 40 hours or 60 you should probably be laser-focused on the immediate problem, not learning other tech that you don't need right this minute (yes, long-term goals and policies about training never take this into account. Ignore these during emergencies). Now if your company is in a state of permanent crunch because management can't plan, that's something else entirely. But again you're going to get resentment from the people who don't realize that the failure is coming from a lack of planning, not because the devs aren't working 24 hours a day.

Long-term, if you want to be a 9-5 programmer and not get resentment over it, your best option is probably to go into the corporate world. Small corporations looking for one programmer to do internal applications for other teams. Brainless CRUD factory work.

This is good advice, but Polly you sound like you're generally miserable (I can relate) and should find something else.

Working extra usually isn't that big a deal assuming that: a) it isn't the company's MO b) there's an understanding like the one mentioned above. It's when you already despise being there for the required 40 that working a single minute over feels so painful.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

There's never a written agreement on that kind of thing. It's just the two way street that good positions operate within.

Salaried / exempt don't get paid overtime. As W2, you're almost guaranteed to be exempt. Don't use this in any kind of argument though, it isn't a very defensible position for what Che was talking about.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

If you are doing front-end work, you always ALWAYS ALWAYS should have a living PSD with approved changes in it.

For this very reason.

At the hellhole that current signs my paychecks the designers are given 40 hours every project no matter what the project is to put together designs. They will stop at exactly 40 and whatever they don't finish becomes the developers responsibility to "design". A living PSD sounds like something from another planet.

Interview tomorrow :unsmith:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

If you've got that many words in you about the job then :sever: asap. That's a poison that'll slowly burn your soul away.

Wish I'd taken that advice 6 months ago.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I've been practicing Resume Driven Development and not giving a poo poo for 3 months now, but that's still really difficult to do until you have an offer in hand from somewhere else.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The last time I wasn't thrown to the wolves was as an intern a decade ago and the mentor there was a Sys Admin. Not saying that's the best way to go about it, it's just the norm?

Most of the people I'd consider mentors nowadays I've either never met in real life or only by way of attending their conference talks. Hell the last guy I actually learned anything from locally left 6 months ago.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

remoteok.io, remotebase.io, weworkremotely, StackOverflow and Indeed are what I check daily

Indeed sucks a lot, but you do find jobs there that aren't posted anywhere else.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13271393 has a lot of others, ymmv

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Idk that's a pretty sweet tumbler you should take it

Iverron
May 13, 2012

That email reminds me of the "we need to be better" emails and meetings that used to start up every month or two.

That stopped after a former coworker asked for a quantification of "get better". Their cynicism is sorely missed.

Any feedback whatsoever is still distributed second hand here though. Exceedingly frustrating.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

leetcode.com is the best in my opinion in terms of being similar to real interview questions I've gotten.

hackerrank.com is pretty good for reviewing specific types of questions (graph, dp, etc.)

Hackerrank not showing the test cases is absolute bullshit.

If you can't take the 15 seconds it takes to look at someone's code to see if they're just returning the test cases then you deserve whatever you get.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

In terms of interview prep I agree, but they advertise themselves as more of a competition than focusing on interview prep, so I kinda get it

I've definitely seen it popping up in a lot of application / interview scenarios lately.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

On that note: if I'm interested in moving my career towards FP and away from OO, is there less of a stigma around years of professional experience in a given Functional language considering that the majority of shops aren't using FP and most devs therefore can't necessarily use FP in their day to day work?

"My day to day is primarily centered around X and Y, but I have tinkered / freelanced / whatever in Z available <here>, <here> and <github>." doesn't get me very far in my previous experiences.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

asur posted:

Everyone says you can negotiate PTO, but I've never been able. Admittedly my sample size is a grand total of four companies, but all of them were very specific that it wasn't on the table and was entirely dependent on tenure at the company.

The only success I've ever seen with regard to negotiating PTO was basically having prior industry experience applied as "tenure" for the sake of PTO calculation.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

csammis posted:

I've seen it done well and I've seen it done poorly but I think poorly tends to win out. In my recent job search I interviewed at a company where the HR representative told me "We have no PTO policy, which some people call 'unlimited PTO!' We do track to make sure people don't take too much." The same interview featured an engineer telling me about how he gets back on his work laptop at night and works in bed, and sometimes he even gets work done on the weekends!

:tipshat:

It is ALWAYS best to ask a question or two about this at some point in the interview process.

The last place I interviewed with an unlimited vacation policy basically divulged with nothing but a cursory question about the policy that most developers take "working vacations" and no one ever really took more than a long weekend.

I think they ended up closing the listing despite being down two developers due to budgetary issues. Fun!

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Even my hyper paranoid employer just wants to know that you aren't planning on hopping again. As long as you're assertive about what you're looking for and that lines up with whatever X or Y company is offering, you should be able to cover that concern without much effort.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

My personal experience has been places want to see stability in employment history, but I have heard of others who view sticking around somewhere for 4 or 5 years as skill-set stagnation / getting comfortable.

You recognize that this is probably going to come up in interviews / screens, so as with all questions of this nature just have a really good response queued up that assuages the concern that led to asking said question and you're ahead of 90% of the market.

I just had a guy last week respond to a similar question asked by my boss with "I got into a really heated argument over how to do <thing> with my previous boss", so yeah.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

----

Iverron fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 10, 2023

Iverron
May 13, 2012

What's the job? If that's a 1099 rate that's abysmally low for computer touching.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Uni's are the goddamned worst with that.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Anyone have any experience with Ultimate Software?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

I've been seeing a lot of positions being pushed by this company in the past year-ish or so. They sound like they're trying to run a decent company but I haven't even talked to a recruiter yet because my BS meter is going off the charts because they sound like they're full of themselves.

:same:

I haven't had good experiences with listings that are hiring positions for every major language imaginable.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I'm nearing the end of the interview process with this company and the position I applied for was initially listed as Remote or Partial Remote, but after two phone screens I'm not sure that's still the case. It's local for me, but the commute is about twice as long as my current commute and I'd rather avoid that at least 3-4 days a week. The development teams are distributed anyway and use Hangouts / Slack to communicate.

Should I bring this up in the next interview or wait until the offer stage to negotiate Remote?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Why do you think it's not the case anymore? You should bring it up ASAP if it's been implied or stated that it's not the case anymore, and if it's a deal breaker for you -- but to HR or hiring manager or whoever your point of contact is, not just the next schlub you have on hangouts.

I wouldn't sweat it if some random person you talked to had the impression you were local enough to be in the office all the time. But if the hiring manager or otherwise important person said something about it, yeah bring it up.

I asked a question about tooling / process with regard to the distributed team and in the answer the dev on the call asked the team lead on the call if the position was remote to which her response was "no, it's in the X office".

I suppose partial remote still fits that answer, I would still be in "X office" partially, but it's definitely a sticking point for me so I'll contact said important person before the next interview.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Recruiters are a tool like anything else in the job hunt. FWIW I always try to Google Fu my way out of actually contacting recruiters for their positions, but sometimes that isn't possible.

The main thing to understand is they're just looking to put bodies in slots and don't give a poo poo about you. Say no to things you aren't interested in and be firm with them about what you are interested in. They'll probably ignore you anyway, but there's an off chance they introduce you to a good employer you might not have found otherwise so what's the harm.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lifg posted:

I've had good luck with recruiters. Specifically Tek. The good ones have good working relationships with hiring managers, to the point where they'll work with the hiring people to figure out what the company actually needs.

+1 to Tek. I've only worked with them from the other side of the table, but they seemed to be the only one that didn't throw bodies at us and actually tried to match what we were looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Also let's be honest, in the age of SEO googling questions like that is more likely to lead to markov chain, bullshit clickbait than anything actually helpful.