Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Do you folks use your company's education assistance money? Certifications are bullshit but there are some courses I am interested in. Should I just take them non-matriculated? I feel like I'm losing out on free money and I've always been a pretty good "class" learner - I like the structure of it as opposed to approaching a new area completely on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Has anyone used those hiring websites like Hired and poo poo? Before I start an aggressive search I kinda want to exhaust my options there since it's the summer and I'm lazy.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Doh004 posted:

I got to my current job through Hired. Had to go through a second "marketplace" in order to not get crappy companies reaching out. But the experience was pretty easy as they're in desperate need of competent engineers going onto the platform.

I'm in NYC and have 4 years of professional experience FWIW.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in NYC and I've got 2 years. Not looking to leave yet but my company isn't progressing like I imagined it would (and they're really bad at hiring so I've been splitting time between 2 projects) so I may be looking soon. I was worried that sites like Hired aren't the best for people with not a lot of experience but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It will always amaze me that a large number of programmers cannot do FizzBuzz-y type poo poo and I probably won't believe it until I'm a manager.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I have a 1 on 1 with our new engineering manager tomorrow and I'd like to inquire about a raise (I really deserve a promotion but we'll see). I've been at the company 18 months and got a 7% raise or so in February but at this point I've basically become the sole owner of a very large project while contributing to other teams as well and training other less experienced developers. The company is hurting for people with my expertise of our system and business, as well as this new project I've basically started to lead. On top of that, we just lost one of our team leads in May and one of our seniors last week and I've been picking up slack.

The issue is that the new manager just started a few weeks ago. What do I say? My performance review was in February and I'm not sure if I'll have another one before that time next year. If I don't get a fairly substantial raise I plan on looking for a new job starting in a few weeks after my vacation.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

wwb posted:

Personally, I would not hit the new manager with "I need a raise" off the top rope -- he is probably trying to figure out which way is up and who is doing what and that will just mark you a money grubbing whore. It would be reasonable to walk him through what you are doing for these projects and ask if there is any structure for performance reviews and performance raises though.

I'm about 2 hours out of my meeting and this is basically what I was going to ask. Something like "My time is split between two team leads and I was wondering who will be doing my upcoming performance reviews, when they will occur, and how I can make sure I'm going to do well on them".

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm looking to move on from my first actual dev job that I've been at for 2 years. Are there any extra good sites for finding smaller, younger companies looking for engineers? I've seen a bunch of interesting stuff on Angel.co, and a bit on Stack Overflow but less so there. Beyond that I have no idea where to look. (I'm in NYC)

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 20, 2016

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I appreciate it. I'm away next week and my bonus (+ raise with retroactive comp for 4 paychecks) lands on 3/15 but basically as soon as that paycheck is in my account I'm going to start aggressively looking. I'll follow up with how the search is going in a few weeks.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What kind of questions about concurrency/multithreading would you ask someone applying to a job working on HFT-type systems? This is probably my weakest area for the jobs I'm looking at applying to.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Ithaqua posted:

"How good are you at eating heaping piles of poo poo, then smiling and asking for more?"

Every person I've ever known who has worked in HFT has been miserable -- long hours and unreasonable demands/expectations are the norm. The pay is very good, though.

I work at an ad-tech shop now and while I've touched a bunch of components, the most fun I had was working on our bidder.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mrmcd posted:

This is NYC, so I don't know about Seattle, but most senior/lead roles with that kind of background could get $130-160k base. I have 10 years with just a BS and got three offers over $150k in the last year.

I have no idea how much to shoot for at ~2 years of experience but I cant recall any job I saw with my experience level and relative skillset being listed for anything sub $95k and most up to $130k or so.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't really want to post it here because even with things blocked out, it's pretty easy to tell where I work and I'm paranoid, but could anyone give me a quick resume critique before I start to send it out?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

I shall do this whence I return from a much needed vacation. Also all the negativity towards HFT jobs kinda scares me. I don't really know what direction I want to go from where I'm at and that seemed like a challenging and lucrative area.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Vulture Culture posted:

It seems like you understand that "challenging and lucrative" also means "very stressful," so if you're okay with that then just go for it. Someone's obviously doing these jobs.

I do. I'm also a single 28 year old with literally no commitments otherwise and would rather be in an environment that keeps me engaged than something boring. But I'm not like, completely tied to the idea of working at a financial company. It just seems like that's one of the more readily available positions for devs on the younger side and it's better than loving front-end/full-stack bullshit (to me).

Also tech jobs are great because I've already made and saved a very good amount of money and I can just quit if it's that soul-suckingly bad!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Vulture Culture posted:

Cocaine is real '80s. Wall Street is all about popping modafinil now.

This sounds like a character in a book I would read, I'm sure I'll fit in great here.

In all seriousness, is there a thread about what specifically people are working on at their jobs/what sub-domain of programming they're in? Maybe I missed one? I'm sort of at a crossroads and not sure what to do.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Speaking of which, what kinda things would you ask someone who has worked primarily with Java for 2 years in an interview? I've pretty much reviewed all the data structure poo poo I don't recall from school (red black trees/balancing was something I had to go back and review but the rest of the stuff I remember).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
:kickinradix:

I've heard of half those things and use some of them regularly (Guice, atomic references blah blah), but I have no idea what AOP is and another one I'm too lazy to scroll up to look at because I'm phone posting.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
A circular reference in production code would be my answer to that

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
My biggest gripe with my current job is that the expectations for picking up new tech are sometimes unrealistic. For example, I had very little JS experience coming in but I picked up certain aspects of Node and became an "expert" (with the system flow not Node - probably the best on the team) with one of our very simple tracking systems and can fix bugs or help people add new endpoints very quickly. Now management is pushing me to work with a consultant with about 5 years of pure vanilla Javascript experience on an event-based video player and I'm struggling pretty hard cause I'm not a front-end person. I can write tests for it and make small fixes and understand the high-level flow, but it's confusing as gently caress and nothing like I've ever seen before. My manager has no idea how it works, but keeps pushing me to work on it on top of the other things I'm responsible for and expects me to be the point of contact when our consultant's time is done cause they don't want to hire someone full-time, even though literally hundreds of thousands of dollars a day are reliant on this system functioning.

Please tell me all management isn't this insufferably stubborn.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Vulture Culture posted:

Depends on the job. I mean, at a medium to large company, yeah, this kind of thing is totally unreasonable. At a small business or startup, it's par for the course. I did Rabbit's initial text chat implementation and a good chunk of the UI and I'm the furthest thing from a frontend JS guy (infrastructure!) you're going to find

I totally wouldn't mind doing it if it was like "okay we want you to spend a reasonable amount of time getting familiar with this" because it is interesting to me and like I said a small bug could cost 100k in a day. But for me to just be thrown to the wolves indefinitely without any sort of time specced for it? I was already looking to get out but this is just icing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
17% ESOP seems high to me but I'm looking for a very tiny company to move to eventually and should probably educate myself in this realm before I start looking so I don't undersell myself (again).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I still don't believe people fail anything that easy in job interviews. I just can't wrap my head around ever asking something that absurdly simple.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The amount of awful poo poo I see in my codebase (on older apps that serve a majority of our business and hasn't been fixed yet) is frightening but I think even these scoundrels could manage something like that.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Ah, to work at a place with real challenges. Hopefully my next gig will be like that. I'm tired of making small changes to a mostly built (albeit lovely) system.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mrmcd posted:

core data structures like binary trees, hashmaps, queues, stacks, lists, what kind of problems they are good for solving and the complexity and runtime trade-offs between different choices are all things that you should expect.

I got a recursion problem or two at most interviews as well, in addition to bullshit OOP (which is laughable because my company is a shitheap of poorly designed code) and yeah that was basically my first job's interview process for each place in a nutshell. Those topics are cake for me at this point, I'm not even rusty. I haven't touch anything graph related since school though so I'm likely super deficient there. Dynamic programming as well.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Munkeymon posted:

"It wasn't a good fit for me", "I want more/different challenges", "I need to spend less time on the road and more with my family", etc. All the regular reasons you voice in an interview basically have to be sort-of self-blaming to maintain decorum. It's not unlikely that you're getting out because the place you work strongly resembles a train loaded with tires crashing into a one loaded with oil in the middle of a junkyard, but you can't say that.

Can I complain about the codebase of my current project if I commend the codebase of my last project? (I just won't mention my last project was my baby and I wrote the first few thousand lines :smugdog:)

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

FamDav posted:

Can you constructively talk about it? I've inherited a couple services that have a lot of bad ideas, but half were due to time constraints and half were things that nobody knew were bad ideas until growth happened. My favorite bad design choices are the ones that work well for a long time, because you will have to make a trade off eventually in your career. Knowing what blows up a year later vs a month is helpful in those situations.

Your baby also probably has tons of bad ideas, you just don't know it.

Oh yeah, totally. I've made a lot of changes to the bad project and I've been focusing fixing the bad design choices as I've started to look for new work so I have something to talk about. My project was substantially less complicated to be fair, a simple-ish REST API with messaging queues for a few things versus a real-time trading system.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Is CTCI still the best review book/resource? I'm basically looking for a list of questions on the popular topics I can check off and then brush up on things more as needed.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

rt4 posted:

Cracking The Coding Interview is a great book, but it's almost all about algorithms. I don't think I've ever interviewed at a place that asked me the sort of difficult algorithmic questions that were in the book, but I also don't live in a "tech hub" type of place.

I can talk for great lengths about all of my 3 major projects, design choices, the new tech I've learned and stuff, but I'm still apprehensive to begin the new job process because I feel like literally every major place I look at, they ask pretty hard algo/data structures questions and I haven't reviewed them in 2+ years and don't use a lot of them on the daily.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I use queues for some stuff but yeah, same. Definitely need review of tree traversal, graphs, and DP.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Would this be the place to ask about sample interview questions? I'm looking at one that seems incredibly simple, but I don't understand the example they give.

https://leetcode.com/problems/partition-list/

Why would the 4 still be before the 3? Isn't 4 a larger number than 3? The same thing happens in the example given in CTCI so I'm guessing I don't fully understand their question or the concept, and that it's not just an error.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

ultrafilter posted:

All the numbers that are strictly less than 3 have to come before all the numbers that are greater than or equal to 3.

Oh. Thanks. Well that makes it even easier.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Serious question: what do I do when a recruiter requests my LaTeX resume in Word format lol

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've just been sending it as a PDF to most places, which hasn't been an issue.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It feels like prep work could take an infinite amount of time and that I'll never be ready. 2.5 years has given me a really solid tool belt and a lot of diverse knowledge in a few areas, but the algorithms stuff (especially the harder stuff - some subsets of tree algos, more difficult DP stuff, etc) feels so far away that I have a serious case of what I'm guessing is interview imposter syndrome.

How do I get over this and Just loving Interview?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

MeruFM posted:

Read that stupid book and do the problems...

I'm in the process of doing this and kinda wondering how the algorithm and data structure type questions will differ from my last batch of interviewing where I had 2.5 less years of experience. Most of the stuff in CTCI I have had a pretty easy time working through, especially the first few questions of most chapters, but I'm really starting to struggle about 5 questions into the recursion/DP chapter. I don't think I would have been able to get "recursive subsets of a set" if I was seeing it for the first time in an interviews.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Anything else that helped you understand DP would be a godsend because outside of that (and some of the really tough tree algo questions) I feel like I'm ready to start interviewing for my 2nd job.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The cynical response is that this is perception manipulation to make it easier to get more H1-B visas / other favorable legislation. Anything tech companies can do to reduce their manpower costs is a good thing, right?

75% of my dev team of 25 people are H1B, I never knew it was favorable to the company but this makes sense.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I work in ad-tech in NYC and I have a "non-compete" that sounds like total horse poo poo to me. A few ad-tech companies have been trying to recruit me and seem to be willing to throw a lot of money my way (I'm talking 1.5x my current salary) but I'm a bit worried about dealing with the bullshit of a lawsuit. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thanks for the info. I'm using underdog.io. My profile went live at 9am, I've gotten 4 emails already for calls to set up and 3 I'm interested in. One of the people who wants to set up a call (the best place so far) is actually a company we use regularly and not a competitor really.