Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

TodPunk posted:

The rand5/rand7 question is silly because it has nothing to do with the job I'm hiring for, instead I would ask programmers about organizing marbles and solving blacksmith puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

ultrafilter posted:

Google Pittsburgh is one of their big research labs, I think. Probably some famous machine learning professor.

My best guess is Alex Smola, but he's been in the US for a long time so I'd be surprised if he needed a visa.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Mniot posted:

Does Apple even do recruitment or do they rely entirely on star power to get applicants?

I work in a pretty niche area that Apple really wants to hire in. I get 1-2 emails a month from what appear to be in house recruiters looking for people for mysteriously named teams like "the special projects division" which they then refuse to tell me anything about.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
At my company we do day long on-site interviews and literally every person you interact with will get asked for feedback. If you only chat with someone over lunch then of course they won't be giving a technical assessment but they will still get asked about you and all the feedback gets collected in the same place.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
I believe those numbers for a strong candidate at at BigCo (I don't know anything about startups). I believe them both because I know people who have gotten similar offers, but also because I think Dan Luu knows what he's talking about on this topic. His blog posts on compensation jibe very well with my own experiences, especially his various observations about the behavior of highly compensated people causing these numbers to skew low (rather than high) are spot on.

In particular, this

Dan Luu posted:

The responses on this post have been quite divided. Folks at big companies usually agree, except that the numbers seem low to them, especially for new grads. This is true even for people who living in places like Madison and Austin, which have a cost of living similar to U.S. median. On the other hand, a lot of people vehemently maintain that the numbers in this post are basically impossible. A lot of people are really invested in the idea that they’re making about as much as possible. If you’ve decided that making less money is the right trade-off for you, that’s fine and I don’t have any problem with that. But if you really think that you can’t make that much money and you don’t believe me, I recommend talking to one of the hundreds of thousands of engineers at one of the many large companies that pays well.

Nippashish fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 16, 2017

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
A whiteboard is not paper, you're not supposed to touch it while you're writing on it. IME as a left handed person whiteboards are fine, its fountain pens with slow drying ink that are impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, we should be celebrating when a big company doesn't pointlessly tweak something that still works fine. What important functionality is it missing?

Embedded videos and not-terrible math support would both be really nice to have.