Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Here's the best online social experiment I've ever seen, 3,000 people shouting instructions at a single program streamed on Twitch. They've been trying Pokemon Rded for 33 hours and so far this collaborative effort is stalled out at Mount Moon. It's been posted in the speedrun thread, but I think it's funny enough to warrant its own thread.

Here, have a Google Doc with information on the run's progress.

This project has led to a great amount of fanfiction, goon Rhycool has compiled an album at this link.

Also check out this stream of a random number generator creating inputs to play the game:

http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

What's this anarchy/democracy thing?

The answer to this question is on every page of the thread and on the Twitch page, so you will get mocked if you ask it again. Viewers can vote for anarchy, where every input is accepted, or democracy, where the most popular input ever few seconds is accepted. Democracy usually doesn't get anywhere because of anarchists spamming Start9 to repeatedly pause and unpause the game.

Praise Helix. Death to Eevee heretics. We were warned that getting Eevee might kill Jay Leno and ABBBBBBBK(, and look what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4rjWIGQ8YA

Chamale fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Here's the best online social experiment I've ever seen, 3,000 people shouting instructions at a single program streamed on Twitch. They've been trying Pokemon Rded for 33 hours and so far this collaborative effort is stalled out at Mount Moon. It's been posted in the speedrun thread, but I think it's funny enough to warrant its own thread.

Yeah it's the 'thousand monkeys on typewriters composing Shakespeare' updated for the modern age. It's beautiful. :allears:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for sharing. This is as clever, if not as long lasting, as salty bet.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You forgot important details. Such as the twenty to forty second delay.

Half the chat is actually trying to progress while the other half is trying to exit the game, all with enough of a delay that they can't actually influence things.

:allears:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
How the gently caress did they manage to catch a Pidgey?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
They're just constantly spamming Moon Stone in battle, Charmeleon's moveset is basically useless at this point, and it took 10+ minutes to get to a pokecenter

This was posted in the chat.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Liquid Penguins posted:

This is as clever, if not as long lasting, as salty bet.

I dunno, at this rate they'll take years to finish

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cannot Find Server posted:

I dunno, at this rate they'll take years to finish

I think the amount of time to get the surf TM approaches infinity. It may actually be faster to trigger the walk through walls glitch, but of course they would get messed up by people who don't understand what they're trying to do.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
In about an hour they healed at a poke center, then walked to the gym and defeated 2 trainers before dying at the gym leader. I'm still surprised anything got accomplished.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
This is amazing and I am so happy I am here today with you all, experiencing it first-hand. This is it, this is the story we will tell our grandchildren.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What was the name of that SA article about an online adventure game where hundreds of people were controlling a wizard? This is basically the same thing in real life.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Everyone is Ash Ketchum!

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
How the gently caress did it even get this far or catch a pokemon or basically anything?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm amazed, after losing to Misty there was enough of a consensus of people pretty much unable to communicate with each other to get Red over to a patch of grass and start grinding.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Only to continue to rub him with the moonstone and immediately get poisoned by an Ekans.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Law posted:

I'm amazed, after losing to Misty there was enough of a consensus of people pretty much unable to communicate with each other to get Red over to a patch of grass and start grinding.

It's like Red has severe social anxiety and is cripplingly bad at making decisions, but sometimes makes the right ones

and then sometimes you get palmslamming a moon stone into an unconscious pidgey for ten minutes and naming a charmander ABBBBBBK(

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Unfortunately poison will be our downfall!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There Charmander died. RIP ABBBBBBK( :smith:

Somehow we managed to heal at the Pokémon center, wow.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 14, 2014

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
We didn't need rage anyway.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
That Abra fight was beautiful, after finally using scratch the whole thing was undone by pressing up once.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
And then they pulled together and completely swept most of Gary's team.

PROGRESS.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The moment strength puzzles and the safari zone become a thing, I think it will be 2083

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

They actually managed to reach Gary, beat him, and save afterwards. :unsmith: ABBBBBBK ( is a real hero.

Barbun
Aug 20, 2012
If we just used scratch in the fight against Misty, we'd be golden :cripes:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Onmi posted:

The moment strength puzzles and the safari zone become a thing, I think it will be 2083

Weren't the original two games the ones where reaching the end of the safari zone in only 500 steps is completely necessary to progress? But that seems like it would be completely impossible for twitch chat.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Imagine this with nethack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Weren't the original two games the ones where reaching the end of the safari zone in only 500 steps is completely necessary to progress? But that seems like it would be completely impossible for twitch chat.

Yes, Basically twitch would have to calm down, and actually map it out without someone dicking them over. With the lag.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Onmi posted:

Yes, Basically twitch would have to calm down, and actually map it out without someone dicking them over. With the lag.

Maybe after enough attempts so few people will be watching that it'll be possible. Doesn't the safari zone cost money though?

e: In order to click the fast-moving links you have to copy and paste a section of the chat into notepad:
http://strawpoll.me/1156592/r

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 14, 2014

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Onmi posted:

I'm sure their courage will pull them through.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I am so incredibly happy to have found this. :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The big Team Rocket building with the teleporter puzzles and the poison gym with the invisible walls will be impossible for them. That's assuming they can even get a team of decent pokemon.

EDIT: They seem to be slowly moving in the correct direction. I'm amazed honestly.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 14, 2014

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Ahahahaha oh my gosh did they catch another Pokemon? What is it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope they keep this going until they beat the game. Can they do it in less than a month?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not unless the viewer count drops to like 10.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Law posted:

a rattatta :3

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Seriously how did they catch another Pokemon? The pidgey I can understand since the game gives you some pokeballs to start off with.

For this one they must have had to have gone to a Pokemart, buy a pokeball, leave Cerulean and finally manage to use the pokeball on a wild pokemon.

edit
Holy poo poo
vvvv

Isko
May 20, 2008

Law posted:

It's a Rattata. They managed to somehow buy two pokeballs. They got to the grass and used both pokeballs without even doing any damage to it but luckily the second one got it.

Isko fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 14, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is proof that games are art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You have to find the Warden's Gold Teeth in the 500 step limit. Seeing how there's a lot o going in circles, and the Safari zone takes money for every attempt, I can see this being a stuck point for a while. Maybe when there's downtime/a few people on, a group coordinating might be able to manage it.

edit: if this doesn't end up with twitch releasing a good pokemon from the PC, I will be dissappointed.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 14, 2014

• Locked thread