Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Sanschel posted:

Also for Morand, from the last thread:

Switch Sun Boy for Karate Kid and induct the Batcomputer & FF Oracle, you'll have enough for either the Legion Founders or Legionnaires ATA or to add the Batcave to somebody else, and if you use the Robin Suit you'll have Titans, Batman, & Hypertime to copy.

I just really want to see somebody drop that hunk of plastic on the board and say, "This is now a Legionnaire."

While this is indeed hilarious, wouldn't I also have to induct the alfred dial on the batcave too which would mean no Oracle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Next question: what do y'all use for storage? I've long since run out of room in my apartment and the boxes with ziplock baggies of sets is slowly overtaking my dining area. I wanna redo the shelving system in there anyway with some nice deep Ikea ones but I'd like to get some quality bins to go on the lower half of the shelves.

I use something like this

Though not this exact one as I don't pay 40 bucks for storage.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

SLoSH finally gets a dud, with a Daemonite leader whose powers are unreliable and never seem to really gel together, and much more of a finesse piece than he ought to be for his fairly substantial point cost.

Sculpt looks cool, though.

At 200 sure. As a 125 point second Banana? Much better.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys, I was at my local comic book store today and I found myself asking the clerk about Heroclix. I've been thinking about getting into it and I don't have enough money right now to play much poker, and I love comic books, so I figured it was a match made in Heaven. I bought the AvX Avengers starter set and an Iron Man booster pack. The clerk told me that they have a bunch of guys that play 3 times a week, so I'm sure I will learn from them, but as it stands now I have no idea what I'm doing. Help pls :3

You got a drat good starter to experiment with.

Step 1. Read the rulebook
Step 2. :psyduck: at the rulebook
Step 3. Go to a venue and ask to play a bit and learn as you play
Step 4. Play and enjoy!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Edit: to add to what Morand said:

Step 5: Download the Player's Guide (current link in the OP) to understand rules questions you'll have after Step 2. It also has errata, which are betting increasingly plentiful as Wizkids knows full well that low quality is still quality and designs/writes/prints accordingly.
Step 6: :psyduck: at the Player's Guide
Step 7: Get your rear end kicked in several games to learn strategy and rules.
Step 8: Get good at HeroClix
Somewhere in there: Ditch your sanity because this game can get crazy complicated sometimes. Instead of a set list, I may use the second post for common rules questions.

EVERYONE loses their first game. Don't get discouraged, learn from it!

Fun fact! Andy beat me in the first tournamant I ever played in. He didn't beat me again for 10 years.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We've only got one dial so far on these chases. Awesome trait but I'm still curious about their dials to see if they're worth it

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The full dials for Prof X & White Phoenix Hope have also been spoiled: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7832289#post7832289

Prof is as appropriately stupid powerful as his card indicated

GODDAMN. That is one pissed off professor.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Clix does this to me too, occasionally. Missing a < 5 roll even with a couple re-rolls, or an opponent hitting a ludicrous number a couple times tips me into unpleasantness.

Oh god this. There is a guy at my one venue who is so bad, but my last 2 games against him have been so incredibly close because my dice have decided that they WILL NOT ROLL WELL against him. Doing nothing wrong and losing drives me up a goddamn wall.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Had a blast tonight running Grundy. He just does not die.

And Bizarro at 25 points is the best bargain you can get. Nobody wants to deal with him because he's only 25 points. Then he starts doing 6 damage.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1st AVX Month 3 today. Bring up to 300 points, get a booster and 2 gravity feeds, make a 400 point team. I went with cheese again.

Thor with Secret Avengers
Brother Voodoo
Jinx
30 point Loki
Astral Doctor Strange
Full Power Plant

As constructed. I added dawnstar from my pulls.

Round 1 I got the bye and played against Andy's team

Leatherback
Magik
Ladytron

We played on the limbo portal map. With dawnstar opening up all the lines of fire I was able to MC his leatherback many many times. With ring draining giving me outwit, leatherback'a special defense wasn't an issue.

Afterwards we ran a quick fun game with Andy doing full point Leatherback and Magik vs THE LEGION OF DOOM

FF Giganta
Lex Luthor
Cheetah
Bizarro at 25
Solomon Grundy
Riddler

I had a lot of outwit thanks to lex. I outwitted basically all of his powers and leatherback went down in a single round.

Round 2 vs

Silver Centurion with Infinity Gauntlet
75 point Wolverine
Daxamite

This was a tough game. Very hard to actually hurt Centruion. I also had some super lucky breaks as the Torpedo's hit on Voodoo was Sensed away. I didn't realize Daxamite had IT:Hindering and thankfully he missed voodoo as well. Tried to take a shot with Thor and the disintegration ring on centurion but it was SC'd away. Lost Loki but got a second shot on centurion with Thor as he hit a +1 click on the gauntlet. Made it a pulsewave even though it wouldn't hurt him as I just wanted to roll a 10 and melt that Goddamn gauntlet. Luckily I did, and from there it was outwit and shoot until win.

Round 3 vs

Lightning Lad
FI Wolverine
Scarlet Witch
Maggie Goon
Bane Thug

Very random hodgepodge which had no real synergy. It wasn't close, I only lost Loki.

3-0 and I have hope who is sadly terrible.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

welllll the most expensive clicks aren't necessarily the best. In fact, they hardly, if ever, are.

Most likely the guy spending the most money isn't your venue's best player (in my experience, at least)

Yup. Right now the superman chase from LOSH is 70 bucks. He is only worth that price due to rarity rather then playability

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

What do you mean when you say chase? There's a ton of terms I'm completely unfamiliar with.

A chase figure is kinda like rarer then super rare. It's called a chase because the idea is that you will "chase" them and buy more boosters to get them.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

This makes sense, but considering it's likely my clicks will be huddled around Mon El anyway I should be OK, yeah?

Depends. I know the idea of giving everyone a 19 sounds awesome, but if you face a character with Energy Explosion and multiple bolts (easy to find nowadays thanks to the power plant) you could be in trouble.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I made a trade thread on the realms if anyone is interested. Looking to finish off SLOSH

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7843815#post7843815

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Why is your avatar Shadow Lass now

It's shriek goddammit

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Ok I think I get it. So the benefit is that a player can move more than three clix in a 300 point game.

I was always told that the amount of action tokens was determined by the amount of points in a game (so in a 300 point game you'd get three action tokens and three more for pushing), is that wrong? Do you have unlimited amount of action tokens, but a limit amount of total actions?

If so, which page in the rulebook is this stuff stated? I can't seem to find it. It does say "You may give one action to each of your characters in any order," which suggests ALL of your clix can move in a turn.

EDIT: Wait wait wait I might just be an idiot. Does this rule mean you simply put an AT token on the character after he does his move, but you don't take that token from your regular action token pool?

Ok, this action token pool thing does not exist.

I shall describe it as best I can.

The total number of NON-FREE actions in a game are determined in 1 of 2 ways:

1. 1 action per 100 points of the game build. So 2 actions in 200, 6 in 600, etc
2. The rules of whatever scenario you are doing. (I see judges doing 2000 point games but limiting players to 5 actions)

So in a 300 point game, you get 3 NON-FREE actions. I keep going NON-FREE because there are free actions, and such. However theres also exceptions, one of which I'll outline below.

Let's say you are playing in 300 points with a hypothetical piece that costs 25 points and has the avengers TA. You are playing 12 of these guys.

Now, by your logic, you only have 3 action tokens to place on people so you can only take 3 tokenable actions. To this I say NAY! Let's say piece 1 shoots a guy. That's a non-free action and he'd get a token. 2 actions left right? Right.

Now piece 2-10 all move. These are all tokenable actions, and should be illegal as you only get 3 actions right? NOPE! They have the avengers TA and can all move without counting against your action total. They all get tokens though.

Pieces 11 and 12 also shoot guys, thats action 2 and 3 for the round, they get tokens and you are done. You have given all 12 of your guys an action, and an action token in a 300 point game completely legally.

Action tokens != Actions I can take in a round.

Morand fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 4, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd say some basic stuff on teambuilding wouldn't go amiss. Maybe positioning as well since that's like the most important thing in the game.

Depending on how busy I am tomorrow, I'll take a stab at this.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd say some basic stuff on teambuilding wouldn't go amiss. Maybe positioning as well since that's like the most important thing in the game.

Ok. I am going to attempt to vomit out a ton of stuff on my keyboard here. It's likely to come off as the ramblings of a madman but here we go.

Teambuilding isn't an exact science. There's a million ways to build and a million ways to compliment things and there's always the factor of the dice.

But let's get into some basics. For new players, a good rule is to always remember to STOPP.

Support
Telekenesis
Outwit
Perplex
Prob Control

These are the core support powers in the game, and you should try to have some if not all of them on your team if at all possible.

As for teambuilding, theres a lot of different ways to go about it. I'll post a couple of examples and explain what type of team it is and why it works.

Team 1 - Tentpole. A tentpole team is built around one major damage dealer with a bunch of support pieces to make him hit better, or be tie up. This is one of the most popular team building strategies and one you'll see at all levels of play.

Some examples:

This is a team I recently played in an AVX sealed game (I had awesome pulls)

King Hyperion with Cyclops Shard
Unicorn with Colossus Shard
Maggia Goon
Phoenix Force

This is a quintessential tentpole team. You have one hyper mobile damage dealer and a TK piece to fling them into the fire. This team is RISKY AS poo poo. 0 prob, so if I miss, I miss. Huge vulnerability to outwit. No support so Hyperion really can't heal. With this team, my first priority to KO was TKers and Outwitters. Anything that could let my opponent get a shot at me or take away any of my powers. You have to be both hyper aggressive and pick your targets.

Here's another example of a tentpole team

Warstar
Lilandra
Bat Signal Special Object
Captured and Damaged Warbot

The theory here is that with B'nee, warstar can cross the map, smack whatever he dislikes and then be yanked back to his starting area by lilandra and the bat signal. Classic tentpole, as you fold faster then superman on laundry day if warstar goes down.

One more example from a recent ROC event

SM 057 Superman
Jor-EL
Lara Lor Van
M’Krann Crystal

This team is a tentpole team built around a single attacker and a hilarious one at that as you have to KO that Superman 4 times before he'll stay dead. KO 1 is stopped by Superman's Trait. KO 2 is stopped by the crystal (if he picks it up) KO 3 is stopped by Mom. KO 4 is the one that finally puts him down. Dad provides TK and prob, and Mom has support in addition to keeping superman alive. HILARIOUS tentpole team.

There's many more I could list, but any team overly reliant on one piece is a tentpole.

Team 2 - Swarm.

A swarm team is a team that overwhelms you with tons of cheap, yet effective attackers.

As an example of this, let's look at the winner of the Canadian 1K

Force List:
WATX023B Cerise
AVX001 Cyclops
FI101 Loki
TT208 Rose Wilson w/ ATA Ravagers
FI301 Splitlip
FI001 Thule Priest
Uru Forge
No theme @ 300 points

This is one of the smartest teams I've ever seen played. Unlike a tentpole, it has multiple sources of damage and isn't crippled when one of them goes down. Also brilliant is the playing of Splitlip and the Thule priest with the uru forge. Forge hits on a roll of 3-6. Splitlip makes it a free action AND adds +1 to that roll. The priest adds an additional plus 1. That means he succeeds on a 1-6. HE TOOK FAILURE OUT OF THE EQUATION! That is absolutely brilliant! This team would murder a tentpole team, unless the tentpole was able to get the right map and OHKO each piece he hit each time. The team can stand the loss of 1-2 attackers, but 3 or more and it's in trouble.

Team 3. Turtle

A turtle team is a team that is designed to stay in it's shell, make you come to it, and then murder you.

An example of a turtle team:

(Mystical Theme)
Iron Pharoah 110
Brother Voodoo 79
Scarlett Witch x2 100
Heroes for Hire ATA 8
(297)

This team will never leave it's starting area. It has 2 dedicated barrier pieces that will keep plopping barrier around themselves and Iron Pharaoh, and the Pharaoh will be shooting through his eagle. Get close and Brother voodoo will MC you to hit yourself or simply go away.

Turtling is often confused with stalling and there is a big difference. Turtling is refusing to engage which while distasteful is not illegal as long as you are making your moves in a reasonable amount of time. Stalling is deliberately delaying the game in order to run out the clock and win on points. Stalling is illegal and grounds for a DQ.

That is not the be-all end all of teambuilding, but it's a couple of good archetypes to think about.

Now general strategy.

You'll often hear the word "Swing" said when discussing figures and it is the most important thing you should know. A figures swing is the total number of squares the figure could reasonably attack in a turn. For example. Let's take AVX Cyclops on his 150 point line. He has a 9 speed with Running Shot and an 8 range. That means he can move 5 squares and then shoot his full range giving him a swing of 13 squares.

Why is this important to note? Because if you place yur most important attacker 14 squares away from Cyclops he can't attack you no matter what. Other things can affect swing though.

Same scenario, only you forgot that he had Jean grey who has TK. This adds 8 more squares to cyclops's swing, as he can be TK'd 8 squares, RS 5 more, and THEN shoot you with his 8 range. You could still place someone 14 away, but you'd have to deal with Jean's TK somehow. Perplex also messes with swing so look at that.

Once you understand swing you'll start to be able to see what your opponent is trying to do and place your figures to deny that. Once you do that, YOU start dictating the tempo of the game and what your opponent will do. I won a world title because I deliberately left a piece to die that was arguably very important to my team, but not as important as my tentpole. My opponent went for it, leaving his main attacker in a spot where I could OHKO it and end the game. Had he gone for my attacker instead (and he could have) we'd not be getting a Shriek right now but because I knew his swing and what he'd do, I was able to dictate his game and manipulate it to a good thing for me.

I am very certain there's more to say but I think this is long enough and a decent starting point, which is all I promised. Hope it's helpful!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

By the way guys Wizkids already announced I switched to Shriek and what set she'll be in so I did not break NDA. (Though the concerned PM is appreciated)

http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/71462-MV24-GotG-Brick.pdf

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

SublimeDelusions posted:

Also, another stupid question. When the character is assigned the phoenix fragment, do they use the yellow or blue side of the card? People have been mentioning how they get the free flight and poison regardless just by being given the phoenix force. Which, I thought only came with the fragment when using it as a relic, not a resource.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7825761

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Really difficult trying to learn this game. I've read the core rulebook twice and I can't manage to get through a match (against myself) without getting incredibly frustrated. I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start. I'm gonna just go to my local comic book store and watch some players play and ask them questions as they arise. I'm just really bad at learning by reading, I need to see it in action. I've looked through youtube for tutorial videos and matches being played, but nothing has really jumped out at me as helpful. gently caress :(

Hey dude. Do you have a computer with Skype? Do you have a map I also own? I will happily play a teaching game against you over skype. I promise only to use the Legion of Doom.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Wow, I love being a goon :3:

Unfortunately, I am using a lovely chromebook for all my internet browsing needs, and Skype is not supported (at least to my knowledge). I can't express enough how awesome it is that the two time defending champ is offering to personally teach me the game. Really, when I read the OP's post from the last Heroclix thread I was loving stoked to learn that the best player in the world was a member of SA. Hopefully, someone else who is brand new to the game can take you up on the offer and that video can be made available to everyone who is currently in my predicament.

I've already invested $100+ into figures and I am determined to learn to play. I love strategy games, I love comic books and I am determined to figure this game out sooner or later.

Edit: I have the AvX Avengers starter set:

Thor @ 200
Iron Man @ 100

vs.

Wolverine @ 175
Spider-Man @ 125

Been using the Avenger's Tower Indoor map. If you have those figures and map, maybe you could use them!

Oh god those teams aren't even close to equal. That second team is so bad.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

I'd love to get in on this group chat thing.

Seeing as how it's two for thursday I'll make you the same offer.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

I'll absolutely take you up on this offer. When would be best for you? Hit me up with a PM.

Message sent

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

He also won the 2011 World Championship.

What he said.

I don't make it to many other major events besides Gen-Con. I was going to try to go to Clixathon, but we're having a wedding shower that day.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Dude doesn't show up in 'clix for a decade and when he does he's a monster, I love it. The lack of opening Charge is the only thing keeping him from being over the top the top abusable, I mean it's not like the Brotherhood of mutants have any TK pieces, right? :)

He's one hammer away from charge. He's abusable

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

I'll absolutely take you up on this offer. When would be best for you? Hit me up with a PM.

The teams for this match if anyone is curious

I am playing

Giganta from the FF
Lex Luthor
Toyman with a plane attached
Another airplane
2 superman action figures

Versus

Ultra boy
Glorith
Timber Wolf
Science Police officer

Played on soul world

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Ok I got absolutely annihilated, but it was still awesome nonetheless.

I learned the importance of positioning with regards to alpha strikes almost immediately, as Giganta took 6 or so clicks from Ultra Boy in one turn. Ouch, lesson learned.

I also learned about remembering things like prob, perplex, and very effective use of outwit.

In all, it's about positioning, positioning, POSITIONING. A fun lesson.

Highly recommend anybody else keen to learn the game to also hit Morand up. He also has a fuffy cat.

Thanks again dude for playing that game with me, I'm happy I didn't confuse you with my Aussie accent.

The dice made it more one sided then it had to be, as timber wolf had 2 shots on Giganta and rolled a 1 or 2 for blades every time (this is with prob too) and I apparently could not roll under an 8.

Hopefully some of the positioning advice I gave helps in the future.

Morand fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 8, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Nah sorry. It was mostly me learning, so doubt it would have been very interesting for most. I strongly advise others to take him up next time he offers.

Consider it an open offer to any newbies. I like teaching games. I get to whip out super casual teams.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

Consider it an open offer to any newbies. I like teaching games. I get to whip out super casual teams.

Hell consider it an open offer to all goons. If you want to try something casual or something hardcore, shoot me a PM. Skype games are fun.

I believe I'll have some time open tomorrow night.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Mon El 175
Sensor Girl 75
Shrinking Violet 75
Phantom Girl 72

397 points - This team would mostly support Mon El. It has Prob, Perplex, Incapacitate and Outwit.

Any thoughts?

Drop Phantom Girl for the Gravity Feed Cosmic boy, you gain TK and perplex.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

SublimeDelusions posted:

I may have to take you up on this sometime. I kinda suck at the game.

My night tonight just went from "I will be home at 7pm and tired" to "I will be home at 4pm and bored"

More then happy to play a quick game for fun tonight.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

ugh War of Light is gonna be pain-in-the-rear end enough as it is

seriously Wizkids get a grip and just go back to the old way it was; ship us out a decent OP kit for each set and let us play our weekly events for LEs

this organized play nonsense is so dumb at the rate it's going

At least 2 local Philly venues are right on the cusp of quitting OP events due to the cost. I can think of a third that was on life support for AVX and may also just quit

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

hell yes no more "mystical" keyword

woo woooooo

Mystical has so much natural prob that they won't bee too bothered. Generic themes are still gonna be a thing as winning map roll is really important in the age of the ocean.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The legion of superheroes just became the best min/max keyword with the welcome to the legion trait bringing in any ATA you want to the force

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I am bored! My boredom is your gain! Play a skype game with me and learn something! It'll be casual!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

Have you thought of doing a YouTube instructional video? Everything I've seen so far is rear end.

Eh. I just want to actually play against people with fun teams

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Does anyone need a Solomon Grundy? I'm looking for any of the following:

Prime Cheetah
SR Superboy
SR Takion
White Witch (Would not be a 1-1 I'd toss in more)
Black Witch (Ditto)
Prime Cheetah
LE Mordu
LE Mon-El

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Oh, look, another you've-got-to-be-making GBS threads-me-good Super Rare out of Yu-Gi-Oh in Harpie LadyCharge/Flurry and a top-dial 10 AV with a Precision Strike/Blades combo, pushing to go from 10 to 9 AV and picking up Combat Reflexes on top of her existing Super Senses for 99 points? I wonder if Wizkids didn't see the business model of stuff like Avengers Alliance and start doing that. Then again, it's more likely that it's Konami's idea, as discussed in the previous thread.

You have no goddamn idea how happy I am that none of this is modern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Hey, Morand, if you'd known they'd make Dex-Starr a rare in an impossible-to-collect set, would you have decided to make him anyway instead of switching to Shriek?

My goal was to make something new to clix so once I found out he was getting made I lost all interest in him.

If I make a figure it'll either be one who is so badly in need of a remake and not popular enough to get one (Sinister) or something new (Shriek).

That's why if I manage to get a third title I'm doing Krypto

• Locked thread