Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
This was not good. It had the hyper-violent action of the first film, but the action wasn't as frequent. There's no sense of escalation with the action either. There's a huge emphasis put on Xerxes at the beginning of the film but he's pretty much disappeared by the second act.

The politics are largely the same, and those that read the first one as a satire will likely have the same view as the narration of the film is from the Spartan viewpoint. The jingoism and masculinity that defined Sparta in the first film isn't as prevalent in this film though.

If you felt that the first film demonized Arab people, you ain't seen nothing yet. Xerxes forces now include suicide bombers. There's constant reference to how Arab blood needs to be spilled as well.

Edit: This movie did have the funniest sex scene of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

CelticPredator posted:

The Sex Scene as I remember it.

They pretty much redo the scene where Xerxes asks Leonidas to talk with him, almost verbatim. "Oh they might kill you!" "We're not that dumb!" Therms gets onto Eva Green's ship, and they make some small talk. Then they go down below. Eva Green promises him freedom and poo poo if he surrenders. Therms says no. Eva Green then talks about skin and steel, and they get to straight FUCKIN. It's like a battle. They're slamming each other into the walls, and onto the battle plans, moaning, grunting, making hilarious facial expressions. This goes on for about 2 minutes and then they cut away to two Immortal soldiers listening to this noise, and looking at each other in confusion. I was laughing at this point, so I missed what happened, but Eva Green pretty much throws Therms off her and makes a comment about how he's "just a man". And he sulks away. Never finishing.

It's better in the movie. My memory is a bit hazy from laughing so hard.

You're missing the best part! Just when you think they're done, Therms gets a big second wind and bends her over and starts giving it to her from behind. That part had everyone in the theatre howling with laughter. That was right before she dismissed him as being just a man..

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Piedmon Sama posted:

I'm sure the actual Athenian politician Themistocles would be so honored to know we remember him as a naked barbarian who does Eva Green doggy style :cripes:

Who wouldn't be honored by that?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I saw the original 300 sober however I will not make the same mistake this time and get high as balls before stepping into the theatre.

:smugdog:

I'm not gonna lie - I was pretty baked when I saw this and it didn't help.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The Xerxes origin story is propaganda that dehumanizes him by making him a god, or more appropriately, a false idol. It's one of the satirical elements of 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, in retrospect the Arab guys with the exploding backpacks who boarded the Athenian ships with the intent to sink it were not supposed to be suicide bombers at all.

• Locked thread