Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
300: This time there are more than 300

What's that? You forgot about Sparta?

300 came in 2006. Yeah you're that old. That's right folks it's the sequel to the movie that made the Iranian ex-pat community wonder if they should forego the Persian thing entirely in favor of pretending to be Mexican for a while.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zqy21Z29ps

This time it's a prequel sequel or I don't even know. No longer directed by Zack Snyder but instead Noam Murro (hope we still get sick speed ramps). All I know is King of Scotland MacLeonidas is still dead. Probably should have worn some armor over those sweet abs.

Instead we have this dude playing Themistocles

The famous Greek general who united the Greeky city state navies into defeating the Persians (spoiler). And then umm...found himself in the employ of the Persians til the day he died

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themistocles#Later_life_and_death
We'll forget about that part though, grey area doesn't test well with audiences.

Returning is Lena Headey, (probably relieved to play a fan favorite again after that whole Sean Bean thing) as Queen Gorgo (still pissed about that whole McNutty incident)

Also returning Rodrigo Santoro as XerxesDhalsim

Newcomer Eva Green (still playing off-white roles). Actually based on a historical figure as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_I_of_Caria

And umm...juggalos?

Bro we need to bring back Sparta they were loving hardcore. Back then I would totally make some Helots tap the gently caress OUT

Here's hoping Gorgo and Artemesia sail to the isle of Lesbos :quagmire:

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

acephalousuniverse posted:

Will this one also have non-sequitur homophobia in it? I can't imagine who was clamoring for a sequel to this movie 8 years later. The Mr. Peabody movie makes more sense.

"loving boy fuckers from Athens what a buncha fags am I right bro?

"Yeah bro. Say bro wanna lather me up with some oils"

"gently caress yeah bro let's do it!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Or you could do a movie that explains why a frat based society isn't always best

Young Freud posted:

Not Spartan. Themistocles was an Athenian general.

That's right. Athenian. Dude's a boy lover.

In addition, the Spartans pretty much sat out the Battle Of Salamis because they had no navy. As a compromise, the Athenians and the other Greek nations gave the Spartan general Eurybiades command of the fleets, but it was mostly in a name only because they knew more than him.

Also, given enough time, everyone in Greece worked for the Persians. There's that whole thing about Xenophon and 10,000 Spartans crossing into Asia Minor under Persian king Cyrus' banner. Until Cyrus was assassinated and the warriors had to escape across a land teaming with their enemies to get back to Coney IslandGreece.

Yeah, point was less to demonize him for working with the Persians and more that those actual literal demons the Persians were portrayed are closer to the Greeks than people seem to realize

I mean hell by the time Xenophon came around the Greek city states were all at war with each other.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also, gently caress me for forgetting The Warriors source material :psyduck:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

poo poo getting old?

Have some Stalingrad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Da3EgZUA0Y

Executing BURN Therapy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

origami posted:

I would watch Eva Green clip her toenails and I'm still not sure I have any interest in watching this.

Granted she's a little older than she was but they really film her in some unflattering light, and not just the whole SHE DIPPED HERSELF IN PURE EEEEEVIL

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

But literal Soviet propaganda films are awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-v-kZzfec

poo poo's black and white and does not contain sick slowmo

lol formalism Eisenstein can kiss my rear end

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 4, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The correct answer for best Soviet propaganda is

Russian Commando
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFbFhSgutTw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm pretty sure Artemisia and Gorgo are supposed to be the chickens :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gatts posted:

It is hands down awesome. Worthy of the best in cinema and tells a story and of characterization as well. You fight harder than you gently caress! Good God I am in love.

Eva Green carries it on her back.

I am now imagine a man taking her from behind while she fights dudes

I am going to be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

etalian posted:

It's fantastically awful at first but then gets genuinely good a few episodes. Sort of went from a 300 clone especially in the pilot to something lurid, sleazy but at the same brilliant especially the rapid pace of the plot.

Spartacus is a goddamn good time. I can honestly say the sex and violence more often than not got in the way of the good stuff. It takes a few episodes to kick in but once the friendship between the gladiators and Batiatus' intrigues get going it's a genuinely fun show to watch. The later seasons get some better action and set pieces though you can definitely tell a lot of budget VFX tricks are stretched to the limit.

• Locked thread