Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I see a lot of discussion about Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon whenever a Stephenson discussion pops up on SA for whatever reason, but very little about the Baroque Cycle. Personally I don't really enjoy any of his books other than the Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver in particular) - do most people not care for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

precision posted:

It took me a couple tries to finish Quicksilver, but once I did I powered through The Confusion and System of the World in about a month. poo poo picks up really fast once the Minerva finally gets out of the Bay (though since you got to Jack and Eliza you already got past that part, so).

I am not sure how so many people are consistently stymied by the young Daniel section of the story. I could read Stephenson describe madcap experiments to prove spontaneous generation, on the salubrious properties of quicksilver, in which retinas are damaged through sun exposure to determine the curvature of the eye, etc. forever. Jack's portions of the trilogy are alternately amusing and deadly dull, but rarely did I ever feel as pulled into the period during Jack's sections as the rest. A standout exception I think is Jack's adventure through the siege of Vienna.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I like how in the Baroque cycle Jack ends up being more noteworthy and infamous around the world than a lot of the "important" people.

That's sort of Jack's purpose, really. He's there so Stephenson can write about exotic locales and interesting people that Daniel and Eliza have no reason to ever encounter due to his low class, and to randomly intersect with their stories, usually to move them great distances because traveling chaos is the definition of Jack.

• Locked thread