Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, it conflicts with trad Supes, but New 52 Superman is a dick. Which, you know, is one of the (many, many) reasons people aren't thrilled with the New 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Huh, bad rear end plastic surgery. That's a new one on me.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Calaveron posted:

So you basically shouldn't play pool with Summers

No, no you should not.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah that episode has some real stakes to it, because you come to realize that if Luthor-as-Flash gets off the Watchtower and gets to his tech? He's going to conquer the loving world, and he's going to do it in like a day.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Comics that DC sometimes put out that bend or break the setting so they aren't "real". There's one where baby Superman landed in Soviet Russia and helps the Russians conquer the world. That sort of thing. The Marvel equivalent are "What If?" books. I don't know if DC's done an Elseworlds book since they rebooted into the New 52, so it may be a dead concept now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

He's very much a mixed bag. He writes Etrigan like a 3rd grader's first poem. But I liked both trades decently enough, and I'm not sure if Oliver Queen would have come back from the dead if Kevin Smith hadn't wanted to write it.

Hal came back. Barry came back. gently caress, even Bucky eventually came back and he'd been the uber-example of "See? Some characters stay dead!" for decades.

Ollie had been around long enough and had enough street cred comics-side. He'd have been back, Smith or no Smith. Would he have been back so soon? Hard to say, but someone would have remembered how much they liked the old Green Lantern/Green Arrow stuff back in the day and brought him back eventually.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know one person who's ok with Jason Todd being alive.

Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy are forever dead, that's good enough.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but....

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Gwen

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

With the big Secret Wars universe-reboot upcoming, who can say?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Not exactly: The Corinthian tracks Loki down, breaks his neck, and rips out his eyes and "eats" them with the mouths which are also his eyes which is gross, and Corinthian talks about how awesome it is to see through the eyes of a god and how Loki is immortal so having his neck broken is just going to suck PRETTY BAD, and then Thor and Odin come to collect Loki and put him back in his legendary prison where a woman drops snake venom from a bowl into his raw eye sockets and he can't even squirm around in agony any more because his neck is broken FOREVER, but while they're carrying him away Loki starts trying to tell Thor about how Loki hosed Thor's wife and Thor starts to get really mad and Loki's trying to goad Thor into killing him properly, but Odin is all like Na man Loki is a jerk and a liar, he is lying don't worry about it son and Thor is like Oh ok dad welp let's stuff his rear end back in the snake venom room!!

Verrrry close. The woman is Loki's wife Sigyn. She's actually shielding Loki by catching the venom in the bowl. However, when the bowl is full she has to dump the poison off to the side, and in those moments drops from the snake hits Loki's eyes (or eye sockets now) and his thrashing around is what causes earthquakes, but the fact that it takes a while for the bowl to fill up is why earthquakes are rare. Also, Loki is bound in place by his son's intestines.

Which is a long way to say that the Norse had some REALLY hosed up legends.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

So, was the whole point of the story 'Tony Stark is a worse menace than the 'villains' he fights'? Or is there something I'm missing here?

That's one way to look at it. Another might be "don't steal from Tony Stark, because he's a huge dick about that."

Actually, both together really sums up Armor Wars quite well. That said, I still enjoyed those issues.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, I was looking more to see if this is what the writers intended, or if they were trying to write him as a hero and failing miserably, or what.

Well Captain America comes down on him for going over the top, he gets kicked out of the Avengers for it, and he alienates pretty much everyone except his core friends and allies.

So you can argue it's either "Tony decides to make a moral stand about the use of his technology and follows through on it, and drat the consequences" or "Tony freaked the hell out and way over-reacted, nearly destroys his company and loses a lot of respect in the superhero community because of it."

Both are in the text and you could argue either angle. After all, destroying all the Guardsman suits, which he sold to the government in the first place, does lead to a massive supervillian jailbreak. Tony did kill the Titanium Man. He did attack Stingray, a fellow Avenger. And Stingray was innocent, that was his own drat tech!

On the other hand, his own carelessness, especially after losing Stark Industries to Obidiah Stane, led to a bunch of supervillains using devices Tony built to hurt and kill people. Is Tony justified in using extreme measures, including breaking the law and accidental homicide, in order to clean up his own mess?

The books don't really answer that cleanly, one way or the other. You're left to decide if you sympathize with Iron Man, who comes down on the side of personal responsibility or Captain America, who supports the position of law and his government.

Huh, didn't they do that again for Civil War, but with the positions completely reversed? Amazing how much of a difference 19 years can make.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 30, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Which is pretty much my point. When Tony was conceived by Lee, he was a pro-government weapons guy. By the late '80s he'd evolved into a guy who took his weapons back from the government and the government feared him so much that they built a nuke armed suit of armor to try and kill him with. Then by 2006 and Civil War, Tony's cycled around to being so pro-government that he's willing to lead an army of super-heroes to round up other super-heroes who don't want to register with that government! And now, of course, the movie Iron Man is back to an anti-government, "screw you guys I'm keeping my toys" version reminiscent of the '80s Armor Wars Tony in many respects. Just, you know, funnier since he's played by RDjr.

It's the Circle of Life Comics. Sometimes you're this, sometimes you're that. Stick around long enough and everyone dies, everyone's reborn, everyone changes, and "Nothing Will Ever Be The Same Again!"

Until it is. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Despite the wild inconsistency of how Tony was written during Civil War, his argument has always been that he thinks that registration isn't necessarily right, but that taking a hardline stance against it would end with heroes losing and being placed in camps. So, in his infinite ego, he decided it would be better if he ran the entire system, moral quagmire and all, instead of fighting it.

He's not so much pro-government as a coward.

I dunno, hadn't Tony just come off a period of time being the U.S. Secretary of Defense? It's pretty pro-government to be IN the government.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Tell that to the Republicans.

....fair point. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Re: the fingernail thing, it's basically a comics version of CRITICAL HIT!! In a way I respect it because it's an attempt to make Hawkeye badass aside from just being a gimmick dude with a gimmick bow, but yes, the modern version does it infinitely better (tbh like almost everything in the Ultimate line that I've ever seen).

The Ultimate line had a purpose...to be the "shocking", "anything goes" line when the main line was pretty conservative. But the main line's pretty out there now, and the Ultimate line has run out of good ideas, so it was time to put 'em down. And hey, at least the Ultimate line gets a decent send off, as opposed the New Universe, which just kinda petered out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

:sigh:

Look, it's easy. The Flash travels at the speed of Plot.

No, I mean that literally.

The Flash travels as fast as he needs to. That's the whole point of the Speed Force. When he's aware of how fast he's going, then the worry about it makes it so that he might vanish into the Speed Force, but when he's too busy, as when he's saving a city full of people at much faster than the speed of light, he doesn't realize how much danger he's in and exceeds his limits.

Ta-da! Problem solved. Let's leave it alone until the next time someone posts that page six months from now, okay?

tldr: It's all in the Flash's head.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm always a few months behind, because I get my comics via marvel unlimited, but I just got to this great Loki: Agent of Asgard cover, and it seemed to be begging to be animated, so I did.

Also avatar sized, in case someone wants it:

Excellent work. :golfclap:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

In World War Hulk they fix it with heat and strong guy I think. Except IIRC it's really stupid since I'm pretty sure it's Scott applying the heat with his concussive blasts.

Fer God's sake. The dude's had the SAME POWER for 52 years! How hard is that to get right? :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Jeez Aquaman its like two pennies

You think he's able to carry coins in that outfit? :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

X-O posted:

I've been reading comics for like 25 years and this one page is the first thing regarding Hawkman I've ever liked. And it's not even because of Hawkman. It could've been anyone. It's just a good gag.

Hawkman is not popular and should be forgotten to time. DC still wants him to be a thing though. And history is almost as confusing and dumb as the Summers family. They can't ever decide if he's an alien or or a reincarnated Hawk God or something. It's the kind of mess that's a barrier to anyone really getting invest in him.

The fact that Hawkgirl on the Justice League cartoon was as good as she was is a testament to those writers.

Yeah, but the best those same writers could do with Hawkman was make him an obsessed creepy stalker, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about Hawkman.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The scene's taking place in her subconscious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly, you'd think the Avengers would do this poo poo on general principle.

"Alright, I'm glad everyone's finally made it. I'm going to have to ask that everyone hold still for about 8 seconds so that we can get a quick scan the room and compare your it to the last 12 times so that we can make sure no one here is actually a skrull, any other kind of shapeshifter/method of disguise, mind controlled, body swapped with a villain/friend/rival/whatever, a clone, a doombot, a clone of a doombot, a doombot of a clone or any further combination thereof, bugged or wearing some other kind of tracking/listening devices, here under duress, or for any other reason that is not voluntary, suffering some kind of mental breakdown, contaminated with a chemical/radiological/biological vector, rigged with any kind of explosive device or other antipersonel weapons, or actually just a bunch of squirrels in power armor, Tony."

"Dammit, we forgot to check for LMDs." :doh:

Calaveron posted:

This sequence is fantastic and I think it's only ever been homaged in one other thing, Batman Beyond of all things

Yeah, but "Spider-Man lifts something heavy off himself" is something Spider-Man writers keep going back to the well for, and I kinda wish they'd cut it out because it's never as good as the first time in #33.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rachel did (pages not sequential):

Mmm, yeah, Alan Davis' solo run on Excalibur. That's the good poo poo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

I like his plotting, though.

Yeah, Davis not only worked in stuff from the earlier Claremont stories at the beginning of Excalibur, but he delved into the previous Captain Britain stuff as well. Even within his own run he set things up that paid off many issues down the line, which is the kind of thing you can do when you're on a book for 20+ issues. That's sadly a dying art in today's 6 or 12 issues then you're gone comics workplace. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

If it weren't for the fact that it'd be a pretty hard sell to introduce all the Cosmic Marvel Entities (like Eternity, the Living Tribunal, et al) at this late date and the fact that some of the characters are off the board because they're with the wrong studio (Cyclops, Wolverine, Silver Surfer, Galactus, etc) I'd be down with a Watchmen style shot for shot remake of Infinity Gauntlet. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Deep down we all know that Infinity War will end with all looking lost until captain america lifts thors hammer and smashes thanos with it.

You mean (sp Thor: Ragnarok) the hammer that's in little pieces all over a cliff in Norway? Probably not.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

"They are like vampires, but they eat spider people and jump dimensions" was the stupidest loving idea anyone ever had except for the idea to keep coming back to that well.

The weird thing is that isn't how Morlun was when he first showed up. He ate any animal totem types, in his very first appearance he eats an eagle-themed German hero. He should be just as happy to eat the Rhino, Vulture, or Doc Ock as he is Spider-Man. Or black Panther, Falcon, or Wolverine for that matter. Indeed, since Morlun's vulnerable to radiation and by amping the radiation in his blood is how Spidey beats him the first time, the fact that so many Spider-folk are also radioactive should put them off Morlun's menu. How many times do you go back to a restaurant where you got food poisoning, eh?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lucifer is one of the greatest creative runs I've ever read. Never loses steam, incredibly compelling the whole way through.

gently caress Fox in the rear end two times with a powerdrill for turning it into procedural drek.

This highlights why the current system is so hosed up. "We can't greenlight something unless it has an existing audience, or else the risk of failure is too great." Which leads to "But the thing we've licensed isn't what we actually want to make, because its too far from what we think the mainstream likes." So we get "We'll just take the name and as little of the concept as we think we can get away with." And concludes with "The fans didn't like it? Didn't they say they always wanted a movie or show about this? Man, there's no pleasing some people!"

Which is how you get I, Robot as an action movie and Lucifer as a police procedural. :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

To be fair to Magneto, they did just try to nuke him. Blowing up a sub that fires nukes at you is pretty much what most people would do if they had the ability to do so. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

The whole sequence is actually pretty good.
Avengers vs. X-Men #9 (2012)

Avengers vs X-Men, or as I like to call it The Character Assassination of Cyclops by the Coward Brian Michael Bendis :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Really fun issue, though. I forget how many plans the X-Men tried, but it was like over a hundred, wasn't it?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

A little something nice for Laura fans from today's X-Men #5 to make up for Fallen Angels:

Trolling Cyclops while he's trying to get his authority on? Yeah, she's Wolverine all right.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Okay so I haven't been following this series. And I'm sure the guys with guns are bad people. And judging by the context they killed Kitty.
But won't she come back?
Where as the guys maimed by Iceman will be permanently maimed.
Like true Kitty may permanently carry around the trauma from being killed, but I thought Krakoa wants to develop psychics to help mutants overcome such trauma.
And does the eye for an eye analogy really work if one person loses the eye forever while the other get's their eye back?

All interesting and logical points that make no difference at all to a man in a cold blooded fury. :shrug:

For what it's worth, Bishop seems to agree with you. For that matter, in a recent issue of X-Men, while thwarting an assassination attempt on Professor X, Cyclops disabled the guys with guns he was fighting in a way that just left them unconscious, while noted murderer Gorgon acted as Bobby does here, sticking to the letter of the law (Murder no Man) but maiming every opponent he faced.

In short, Iceman is crossing a line here, and it's possible that some of his closest friends will call him on it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Aren't mutants functionally immortal at this point?

Why the 'heroic sacrifice' spiel?

Because in-universe neither had been ressurected (by the Krakoa method, anyway. Both had died and come back from other methods) and they didn't know for sure if their souls would come back as well.

From a reader perspective, it was because we didn't know ressurection was possible yet when this book came out. It was these characters coming back from the dead in the next issue after the successful suicide mission that revealed that it was possible and how it worked.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pretty sure he used Bullseye's second shot to break the knife blade off. Bullseye fires twice, after all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gologle posted:

I disengaged completely from western webcomics since 8-bit Theater ended and it became increasingly clear Order of the Stick stopped being interesting hundreds of chapters before I called it quits, and I have never and still do not regret my decision at all.

You do you man, but saying "I don't want to read Kill Six Billion Demons because I got tired of The Order of the Stick, and they're both webcomics" makes as much sense as "I don't want to watch The Wire because I got tired of General Hospital, and they're both TV shows."

For that matter, since I can get my Marvel comics delivered to my tablet and read them electronically, and you can go buy the dead tree versions of K6BD on Amazon, the distinction between "comic" and "webcomic" has blurred to near irrelevance. Is the recent Fallen Angels mini better than K6BD just because the former debuted in comic book stores and the latter online? No, no it is not. Fallen Angels is trash, but K6BD is excellent.

The Order of the Stick is a stick figure D&D parody comic that evolved into somewhat deeper storytelling.

8 Bit Theater was a sprite Final Fantasy parody comic that evolved into somewhat deeper storytelling, but never stopped being funny.

Kill Six Billion Demons is a beautifully hand drawn martial arts epic that is neither a parody nor a comedy that had deep storytelling from the very beginning.

If K6BD doesn't appeal to you on those grounds, then by all means, give it a pass. But judge it for what is, not by how it's delivered to it's audience, for pete's sake! :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Phy posted:

I wouldn't say that Conan is the prototypical murderhobo, but you don't have to squint real hard for him to look like it

If you read the original Howard Conan stories, he's the archetypal murderhobo! Conan invented murderhoboing!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Like any of the characters who've been around since the '60s, Juggs has had a lot of characterizations. But the goofball who likes Dazzler albums and watches the Greatest American Hero is probably my favorite.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Amusing Bobby Drake movie trivia I didn't realize until just now: the actor that played Bobby Drake/Iceman in the X-Men films, Shawn Ashmore, also played Lamplighter in Netflix's The Boys, who has fire manipulation powers.

No way that was coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

site posted:

Hold up, wait a second....

Are you saying WandaVision hiring the Quicksilver from X-Men may not have been a coincidence

Nah, apparently that one WAS. :rolleyes: