Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

The Question IRL posted:

Vibrainium
If it landed on Earth from space, presumably it came from SOMEWHERE.

Everyone's responding about adamantium but holy poo poo this is thing I want to know about, too!

That's a drat good cross-over event right there, way better than Tony Stark being a jerk (yet he'd be a jerk in this instance, too, looking for and securing the source, etc etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

FilthyImp posted:

Presumably you can just make an argument about it being born in a neutron star collision/whatever cosmic phenomena makes it happen but doesn't create a literal planet out of the poo poo.

You could also probably have Molecule Man / Phoenix just make that poo poo.

Well duh.

It would make a great story-arc is all I'm saying...

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Maria Hill.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
So when exactly did Hal Jordan become a pariah?

Admittedly I'm not super into DC, are of a marvel guy, and a bunch independents back in the 90's and 00's. Then quit comics.

Hal was always my GL, especially all that Neal Adams stuff. What, aside from hindsight looking back on to goofy silver-age crap (which, c'mon, unless you grew up with it you only saw it in back issues and drat near every character has some laughable history), was his downfall? That emerald day thing or whatever? Something else?

I mean, I'm aware of Guy and Gnort and Stewart et al so I'm aware of Lanterns but just don't see where the Hal Hate is stemming from.

Genuinely curious.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Him and Green Arrow were awesome. All those stories were awesome. I get that better lanterns came a long but to toss out the baby with the bathwater...

Travis343 posted:

Green Lantern is a lame superhero.

This I agree with.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Just finished Avenger's Childrens Crusade and it was pretty good. I was wondering if any comics address what the avengers do with the giant stone memorial statues for their fallen roster whenever one of them gets revived. Is their just a warehouse somewhere?

Hank Pym came back just recently (again) and one of the first things he did was go out an destroy his statue. (uncanny avengers, I believe)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

What an rear end in a top hat.

Also, he was dead?

Or away in space and presumed dead. Or whatever. Now he's Ultron.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

SonicRulez posted:

That Spider-Man and Daredevil are like the only Marvel superheroes left with secret identities are why it bothers me so much how often they come out of the mask in the movies. Amazing got on my nerves bad with that one in the first movie. Every drat body knew he was Spider-Man. I like to think "secret identity" is one of the clear differences between DC and Marvel.

Also I'm pretty sure it's Murdock.

Moon Knight has 3.

lifg posted:

Is the average citizen of Marvel or DC aware of how often their world/universe has almost ended?

Actually, how often has a citizen of Marvel or DC almost had their world destroyed? Like, what's the average number of apocalypses per lifetime?

I dunno about DC but Damage Control is a thing in Marvel so I'd say the average citizen for sure knows.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Shadowhawk died of AIDS so that was a bummer.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

Is there even such a thing as a modern one-issue story?

Pretty much that entire last run of Moon Knight. The Ellis then Wood bit. I guess there was some "continued next issue" but for the most part they were all pretty stand-alone.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

I remember reading that and it really didn't jive with other info that I'd heard about the original plans.

I was being hyperbolic. The fact that they're not at all the norm nowadays would make it much harder to pick a "classic" one-issue Spider-man story from the past 15 years. Even the short stories are usually 2 issues or more.

I understand your hyperbole, for sure.

I would argue, though, that A) there have been stand-alone issues for decades - they're called Annuals, and B) since comics started the idea of stand-alone is pretty uncommon. Even 60's Spider-Man had stories that went two, three issues long.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Pastry of the Year posted:

If I remember right, Inferno didn't even last all that long in Marvel time; the X-people dealt with the brunt of it, while Daredevil and the Avengers and etc. were like "...?!"

Isn't that when Moon Knight got infected with demon blood and ended up "dying"?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Is Willie Lumpkin still around?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I remember back when Microchip's son got killed. Didn't Micro himself die several years later? I don't really read Punisher so I have no idea if Micro is even around (or if that counts in this case).

Also, what about Arnim Zola's kids that came back with Cap? I read those comics and don't even remember what happened. Jet(?) was bad then good then maybe bad again? And the little boy grew up and came back to this dimension and then...?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

TwoPair posted:

Jet Black (yes that's her name) was accused of being a double agent by Sharon Carter after she returned from Dimension Z. (post-turning-old) Steve Rogers and (still-Falcon) Sam Wilson were like "Hey let's talk this out we're not gonna charge you with anything but we should take you into custody" then Jet pretty much said "gently caress y'all, my word should be good enough for you, I'm out" then disappeared.

Ian, Steve's adopted son and the other Zola kid, came back and was Nomad. He's had not one but two fake-out deaths since his reintroduction (three if you count his reintroduction itself making his first death a fake-out). First Baron Zemo slit his throat on his and Sam Wilson's inaugural mission after Sam took the mantle of Captain America. Thanks to bioengineering somehow he heals from that. Then while fighting Zemo again, Zemo rigs the HYDRA base they're in to explode and it seemingly explodes. But then it turns out he managed to get in some magic bullshit elevator which warped him to a domain on Battleworld where HYDRA controlled the world (this makes Ian one of the few characters who survived the death of the multiverse along with Loki and Silver Surfer) in a SW mini called Hail HYDRA. He makes it back to the bullshit elevator with Ellie Rogers, Steve and Sharon Carter's daughter from that dimension. And then it ends!... Nomad hasn't appeared since then although seeing his reaction to Steve Rogers Agent Of Hydra could be fun. And hey, Steve could even kill him in a cliffhanger ending, since fake dying is apparently his forte!

edit: after writing all that I totally forgot how shady as poo poo the circumstances of Sharon Carter coming back to life were. I'm still waiting on her to be a double agent or an LMD or both.

Jeez. I remember some of that and I was reading all them books at the time. Jet had the potential to be a good anti-hero. I never liked Ian when he grew up but it's just weird how they were all hand-waved. Stupid Secret War.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Endless Mike posted:

Superman is one of Lobo's rogues

Yeah. Back when one of his powers was bleeding creates clones.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Dillbag posted:

Last year, I priced out my late 80s to early 90s collection and realized that only 30-40 out of 2000 books were worth sweet gently caress all so I pulled those out and donated the rest to the neighbourhood disadvantaged youth association.

I need to re-evaluate as well.

What's the go-to for price guides these days? Is over street still around? What's a good (free) price guide online?

Also, in the same vein, years ago there was some free site I used to catalog all of my books. It let you export an Xcel doc. I lost all that info. Anything similar our there?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Cool. Thanks. I know about comcibookdb so nice to hear it's been vetted (I've only used it to track down certain books/appearances).

And I'll double check eBay. The few I want to price I would never list at, say, an Overstreet value. Not that my books are in lovely shape but I always kind of low-ball my prices at, like, Fine, on account of the market and what the goddamn 90's did to us.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

JordanKai posted:

Thanks for the input everyone! And also thanks for making me feel like a doofus for still collecting physical releases. :ohdear:

Man, I still collect physical stuff.

You wanna talk doofus? Watch this -

Can someone explain digital download codes to me? Like, I just ignored them in every book I've been buying (I just got back into buying in the last 5 years). I assumed those were, like, codes for that book that I had in my hand. A digital version of what I bought that I could watch on my tablet. But, uh, that's not the case, is it? Those are, like, free digital copies of other books to get you to buy them, right? I',m so confused. And I've seen people in this forum talk about selling those codes on eBay. What's that? And if I tear that sticker off to get the code (okay, strap in...I'm a 90's comic buyer after all) does that "reduce the value of the book because the code is removed"?

This is all Marvel, btw.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I can give 'em away, no prob. Not really worried about "damaging the re-sale value". I was just genuinely curious about them as a whole since I'm still stuck in the past.

e: Oh, and thanks! Sorry. should have led with that.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The true measure of Spiderman's strength is heart.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Skwirl posted:

Are there any comics where Nick Fury and Steve Rogers are fighting together during WW2? It's an important part of both their histories that they were in WW2, but I can't think of anything involving them where they met before Steve Rogers was defrosted.

That Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb mini series. Capitan America: White.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I like Hal Jordan for two reasons:

1) Challenge of the Superfriends

2) Super Powers Action Figure

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Cap figured it out, to a degree, and they wiped his mind/.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Wasn't there also a time where Magneto's power set was so ridiculously high that he could manipulate the iron in blood? Like, he didn't even need to wrap metal around dudes, just flay them from the inside?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
poo poo. Tiger Woods is Batman.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
ElfQuest

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Mike Grell's Warlord series?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah. Groo is really good. Nice call.

And I guess if you want some phonebooks you could get into Cerebus. But there's some dark waters there you'll be wading in.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
There's also been numerous times when Pete's been sick and out on patrol or whatever and makes some goofy comment about sneezing in his mask.

Proportionate immune system os a spider, I suppose.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

KaosMachina posted:

Don't forget Ares and Night Thrasher if we're listing "Cool characters Ewing brought back".

Well then here's a question for this thread: when was Night Thrasher ever cool?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It had moon knight in it for a good 20 issues or so so it wasn't that bad...

(oh wait, it had Tigra just getting it on with everyone)