Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

lifg posted:

I bet it's a comic geek argument. Like they were having lunch together and Mark said, "I don't think continuity is a big deal."
I'm pretty sure they fell out over Grant Morrison ghost-writing an issue of The Authority for Millar, and a subsequent disagreement over whether Morrison should be publicly credited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Always cracks me up that Millar's first serious gig in comics was writing seven page Sonic the Hedgehog strips for Sonic the Comic to pay for his wedding.

Apparently he's a fairly devout Catholic and he dislikes swearing in real life. Contributes a lot of money to his brother's charity work too, or so I've heard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seriously, folks. Give Huck and Reborn (so far) a go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Always cracks me up that Millar's first serious gig in comics was writing seven page Sonic the Hedgehog strips for Sonic the Comic to pay for his wedding.

Apparently he's a fairly devout Catholic and he dislikes swearing in real life. Contributes a lot of money to his brother's charity work too, or so I've heard.

I can't believe someone who started a magazine called CLiNT dislikes swearing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

He's just a fan of westerns.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Unmature posted:

I met Millar when I was 12 and he signed my Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men books and was really nice to me. He also kept talking about how cool my shirt was.

VVVVVVVV
I know, I was just sharing my Mark Millar story.

Don't keep us in suspense: what was the shirt?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

That's what it says here:

The Scotsman posted:

So you might find Mark Millar stretched out on a bed in Angelina Jolie's trailer watching DVDs with the controversial sex bomb during the filming of Wanted, the movie version of his ultra-violent bestselling comic, which has grossed more than half a billion dollars and whose poster, featuring Jolie wielding heavy duty firearms, caused ructions around the world. Then again, you might find him chewing the fat with his boyhood mates over pints in a Glasgow pub. Mark Millar, the author of violent, expletive-laden comics is also Mark Millar, practising Catholic, devoted father, and a man who never – ever – curses.

Apparently he starts each day by reading the Financial Times and Comic Book Resources.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Those are possibly some of the all-time worst Avengers issues, not in the sense of being offensive or insulting but just for hilarious amounts of :effort: . At one point the team is like The Captain, Reed Richards, Sue Storm and some random Eternal doofus.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's what it says here:

Apparently he starts each day by reading the Financial Times and Comic Book Resources.

Not swearing in real life and having a problem with real life swearing are two different things. My mom doesn't swear but her best friend talks like a New York trucker and she never takes offense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I very rarely actually swear either, and even then "poo poo" is about as far as I go when not online. Just a product of how I was raised. Online though swearing just works better at times. It's just a quick shortcut to convey emotion or emphasis in either a positive or negative way. I'm also not offended in the slightest at even the most dense swearing. Doesn't bother me at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

He's from the suburbs of Glasgow. oval office isn't a swear word, it's a preposition.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Uthor posted:

Don't keep us in suspense: what was the shirt?

It was like a generic city skyline with some probably defunct company name on it. Pretty unremarkable. I think he was just being nice.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure they fell out over Grant Morrison ghost-writing an issue of The Authority for Millar, and a subsequent disagreement over whether Morrison should be publicly credited.

There's huge chunks of Red Son which read to me more like Morrison than Millar. I've always wondered if it might have something to do with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Claytor posted:

There's huge chunks of Red Son which read to me more like Morrison than Millar. I've always wondered if it might have something to do with that.

Morrison came up with the hook for Red Son and sorted out the ending for Millar. It's widely believed that Grant ghost wrote most of Millar's early work when they were buddies.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

prefect posted:

Yeah, but Grant Morrison also decided that anything he wrote in his comics would turn into reality, so both sides. :D

Morrison's to blame for Trump, gotcha.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

He's from the suburbs of Glasgow. oval office isn't a swear word, it's a preposition.

Motherfucker is from Coatbridge, lets not pin him on Glasgow, we have enough problems.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

Morrison came up with the hook for Red Son and sorted out the ending for Millar. It's widely believed that Grant ghost wrote most of Millar's early work when they were buddies.

The ending twist or the whole ending? Because holy poo poo was the ending dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mostly read Marvel on Unlimited so I'm 6 months behind, but the latest Squirrel Girl issue on there (she sets up a dating profile and Mole Man interrupts her date with a super hero truther) mentions her beating up Spider-Man and him sending her an apology note, anyone know what that's from the, because everything else mentioned happened in previous issues and I don't remember that.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Skwirl posted:

I mostly read Marvel on Unlimited so I'm 6 months behind, but the latest Squirrel Girl issue on there (she sets up a dating profile and Mole Man interrupts her date with a super hero truther) mentions her beating up Spider-Man and him sending her an apology note, anyone know what that's from the, because everything else mentioned happened in previous issues and I don't remember that.

That was in issue 7 of the first volume, she beats up all of the (mind controlled) Avengers

And then next issue:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

NorgLyle posted:

Those are possibly some of the all-time worst Avengers issues, not in the sense of being offensive or insulting but just for hilarious amounts of :effort: . At one point the team is like The Captain, Reed Richards, Sue Storm and some random Eternal doofus.

Gilgamesh, the Forgotten One.

His nickname was and is entirely accurate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

Simonson wanted to include Thor and Iron Man on the team but was nixed by the guys in charge. He later said that when he wrote Fantastic Four maybe a year after that and incldued Thor and Iron Man in a story, he had more freedom to use them there than he did when he was doing Avengers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Simonson wanted to include Thor and Iron Man on the team but was nixed by the guys in charge. He later said that when he wrote Fantastic Four maybe a year after that and incldued Thor and Iron Man in a story, he had more freedom to use them there than he did when he was doing Avengers.

Simonson's FF is top-tier FF, and actually, I'll go ahead and go to bat for the non-X titles that tied into Inferno, too. Inferno was, for its time, a pretty hosed up event; it was harsh on a whole city and its population in the way Fear Itself wanted to be for, what, the whole world? - but didn't have the breathing room or chops to pull off.

It feels almost like a radical act of restraint now to have an event where you have a ton of a-listers isolated from the main events and just sort of getting kicked around by the peripheral mayhem. If I remember right, Inferno didn't even last all that long in Marvel time; the X-people dealt with the brunt of it, while Daredevil and the Avengers and etc. were like "...?!"

This is as good a place as any to make my annual recommendation of Nocenti's entire Daredevil run (which includes Inferno, and which ends up mattering, but not in a superficial and ho-hum way) to the thread.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So I' e read all Frank Millar Deadpool and Bendis, was he the only good guy inbetween?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Motherfucker is from Coatbridge, lets not pin him on Glasgow, we have enough problems.

I know, but who the gently caress outside of the central belt even knows where that is? I was trying to be general for the sake of the Americans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So I' e read all Frank Millar Deadpool and Bendis, was he the only good guy inbetween?

You mean Daredevil?

There's a highly underrated run on DD by Karl Kesel that probably isn't completely collected in trade but it's pretty great. Post Bendis you want to read Brubaker, skip Diggle and then Waid.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Pastry of the Year posted:

If I remember right, Inferno didn't even last all that long in Marvel time; the X-people dealt with the brunt of it, while Daredevil and the Avengers and etc. were like "...?!"

Isn't that when Moon Knight got infected with demon blood and ended up "dying"?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Gilgamesh, the Forgotten One.

His nickname was and is entirely accurate.
Even my love of characters that wear cow heads couldn't save him from being forgotten. I vaguely thought it was Gilgamesh but I can never remember if the Eternals are actually supposed to be the 'real' versions of the mythological characters they share names with or if they're just 'lady who happen to have powers just like Circe from the Odyssey and so she calls herself Sersi'.

EDIT: She was also an Avenger for way too long in the 90s. At one point she wore one of those half-length jackets that was all the rage; I don't think there were pouches involved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

Even my love of characters that wear cow heads couldn't save him from being forgotten. I vaguely thought it was Gilgamesh but I can never remember if the Eternals are actually supposed to be the 'real' versions of the mythological characters they share names with or if they're just 'lady who happen to have powers just like Circe from the Odyssey and so she calls herself Sersi'.

EDIT: She was also an Avenger for way too long in the 90s. At one point she wore one of those half-length jackets that was all the rage; I don't think there were pouches involved.

My plan of only knowing The Eternals from Neil Gaiman's reboot that no one pays attention to except a random couple of issues of X-Men seems pretty good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

NorgLyle posted:

I can never remember if the Eternals are actually supposed to be the 'real' versions of the mythological characters they share names with or if they're just 'lady who happen to have powers just like Circe from the Odyssey and so she calls herself Sersi'.

A little of both - but more the former than the latter. I believe they're generally intended to be "the people from mythology only sometimes the stories got kind of exaggerated."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sersi and Translucent Vision are some of the little joys of reading Gruenwald's Captain America.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
How far can DC/Marvel borrow a character without permission? I know having Captain America show up in the middle of a Superman comic in a full page spread declaring his love of buttsex would be way off the mark and grounds for legal action (hurting the brand, copyright infringment, etc.).

But could Dr. Strange take a peek through the multiverse in one of those big art pages, where a dozen different little windows show alternate realities, and have one of them show The Trinity? Maybe not front and center, but clearly enough that you can tell that it's Superman et al and not Hyperion and friends. They don't say anything, but you know it's them.

Or could you do it with some second stringer like Green Arrow or Aquaman or Robin? Someone who is maybe not pretty much the go to icon for "Superhero".

Or is it way too risky to even bother with, especially today with the bad blood between companies? I know there was a Thor comic years ago, when he literally bumped into unnamed Clark Kent. But that was a long time ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Or is it way too risky to even bother with, especially today with the bad blood between companies? I know there was a Thor comic years ago, when he literally bumped into unnamed Clark Kent. But that was a long time ago.

There was way more bad blood between the companies back in the '80s. (At least, that's how it seemed from the outside.) And that's when Thor bumped into Clark.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

How far can DC/Marvel borrow a character without permission? I know having Captain America show up in the middle of a Superman comic in a full page spread declaring his love of buttsex would be way off the mark and grounds for legal action (hurting the brand, copyright infringment, etc.).

But could Dr. Strange take a peek through the multiverse in one of those big art pages, where a dozen different little windows show alternate realities, and have one of them show The Trinity? Maybe not front and center, but clearly enough that you can tell that it's Superman et al and not Hyperion and friends. They don't say anything, but you know it's them.

Or could you do it with some second stringer like Green Arrow or Aquaman or Robin? Someone who is maybe not pretty much the go to icon for "Superhero".

You could probably do it as long as you omit the symbols, and maybe 'accidentally' miscolour Wonder Woman's hair to make her a redhead or something. (Or blonde and readers can think it's Artemis)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

There's also the appearance of "Buried Alien," the Fastest Man Alive, in Quasar.

I doubt anyone on the editorial/creative side would care that much if the other company borrowed their characters for a panel. The problem would be with the lawyers (isn't it always?) and the duty to defend the company's trademarks. No one wants another Captain Marvel situation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Artemis already is a redhead though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

Simonson's FF is top-tier FF

Sure. Better than John Byrne's FF (which I still like a whole lot, but Simonson's is better).

NorgLyle posted:

The early-nineties Harras/Epting era was a strange time indeed for the Avengers. Not just for stuff like Tony Stark betraying the Avengers, blasting Wasp with a laser which necessitated her transformation into a human/wasp hybrid to survive, sacrificing himself to save the team and being replaced by a teenage version of himself - Black Knight was practically the main character in the comic!

Wanda did manage to have a reasonably non-terrible costume, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Black Knight was practically the main character in the comic!

I remember Avengers Disassembled when it came out and it seemed like so much of the opposition to it was from a) people who never experienced the kind of Avengers runs you're talking about, b) the people who did experience them and preferred the Earth's Mightiest Heroes to be a minor league, and c) Spider-Man fans who needed him to remain teamless.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

prefect posted:

There was way more bad blood between the companies back in the '80s. (At least, that's how it seemed from the outside.) And that's when Thor bumped into Clark.

I think it's worse now, because I want to say Joe Quesada(?) was asked about doing a DC/Marvel Crossover and he basically said "DC Sucks", and DC came back with "DC will not play nice with Marvel as long as Quesada is in charge". I mean, that's kind of one specific example, but it seems pretty petty on both sides.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

I think it's worse now, because I want to say Joe Quesada(?) was asked about doing a DC/Marvel Crossover and he basically said "DC Sucks", and DC came back with "DC will not play nice with Marvel as long as Quesada is in charge". I mean, that's kind of one specific example, but it seems pretty petty on both sides.

That's strange because I'm pretty sure Quesada was EIC when JLA/Avengers came out. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I remember Avengers Disassembled when it came out and it seemed like so much of the opposition to it was from a) people who never experienced the kind of Avengers runs you're talking about, b) the people who did experience them and preferred the Earth's Mightiest Heroes to be a minor league, and c) Spider-Man fans who needed him to remain teamless.

One thing that cracks me up is how the back cover of the Avengers: The Crossing omnibus proudly proclaims it to be "ONE OF THE MOST NOTORIOUS NARRATIVES OF THE NINETIES".