Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

He's dying??

We're all dying. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Up to a point. There was the mandate recently that Bendis bitched about, no more new mutants as Fox automatically got the rights to use them. Even Goldballs.

It's Fox's fault we won't ever see a Rockslide/Anole fighting crime with fake mustaches.

loving criminal.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

No, I'm just curious if you're planning to read nearly every single comic Marvel has published in over 60 years. Because that's a loving fools errand. If you enjoy having big reading projects I'd recommend Lee/Kirby FF (103 issues and some annuals) Frank Miller Daredevil, Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants and Excalibur

Add Simonson's Thor to that list. Come for Thorse, stay for Volstagg's philosophy of food.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos Hippy posted:

A case could be made for most of them.

That showed up in Busiek's Iron Man run (right after Heroes Return), when it's demonstrated that just using the Iron Man armour is killing Tony because something something powerlines are evil something, but he still Iron Man-s it up, and the internal monologue is quite explicit about it being a different form of the same addictive issues he has with booze.

He goes on to develop an armour that's actually safe to wear; the prototype shows up in a Fantastic Four crossover (drawn by Alan Davis in the same weirdly shiny style as all of Claremont's Fantastic Four, marring what was actually a fun design). The final version sticks around for a few stories then turns sentient and tries to kill him.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Salvador Larocca, surely?

:downs: yeah, it was Larocca. Where did I get Davis from?

Sean Chen did his best with the design in the second part of the story, but the weird half-gold section on the inside of the leg & feet remains awful. These are the best scans I can find to show what I mean.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a bit of affection for the sort of "glossy magazine" design a lot of Marvel covers went for in the Heroes Return era.

I like the way Sean Chen did it (he's the artist on that cover, and for much of Busiek's Iron Man), but Larocca's Fantastic Four goes too far for my tastes. All his characters look like someone polished a stress-ball; they're really shiny but you could squeeze them and they'd just deform.

Chaos Hippy posted:

I was especially thinking of Spider-Man as a good (probably accidental) addiction allegory. He's tried to quit several times, but keeps on going back to it because he just can't say no, even though it keeps ruining his life and will probably eventually kill him.

Oh good point on Spider-Man. Thinking about it, that comes up during the Clone Saga of all stories, when Peter and MJ have moved on to let Ben be Spider-Man, only he keeps putting the goddamn costume on and ignoring his pregnant wife.

Surprisingly for MJ, she does not take it particularly well.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Hickman did his own art on his early stuff.

He did everything for The Nightly News, and that is a beautiful book.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Who are the successful and/or good characters created in the 2000's?

WicDiv's Pantheon.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I know it was the theme of the book, but almost everyone in Strikeforce Morituri had a lovely death. Get powers to fight off aliens, but it's a death sentence to do so.

Sure, you could overload your powers and do real damage to the invading aliens. More likely, you'll explode or melt while doing gently caress-all meaningful.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

That comic is incredibly loving good and I wish it was more widely remembered.

I'm at work or I'd be posting it to the panels threads now.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

It's about as funny as that Ultimates line which everyone seems to like.

The only good thing about that line was the piss-take in Nextwave.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It did give us a great Amanda Waller moment.

(Secret Six 17 or 18, I forget which)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I'm still mad that Star Lord and Kitty Pryde ends with them finding Rocket Raccoon's tail and Star Lord asking if there's any cloning place around, then when he shows up at the climax of Secret Wars, he's not accompanied by an army of Rockets.

He didn't need an army of Rockets, he had a toothpick. Say hello to my little friend.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The UK has some doesn't it?

At least three — WHO, Black Air, and MI-13

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skurge died, and has stayed dead (though the Asgardian definition of 'dead' means he's showed up since).

He stood alone at Gjallerbru, and that answer is enough.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's not even giant-size.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The weirdest thing about the handwavey Omega classification is how apparently Manifold isn't an Omega. Dude literally talks to the fabric of the universe and it does him favours, like teleporting anywhere, turning invisible, or lending him a little bit of the Sun in a fold-space container. How the gently caress do you top that?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

"And yet...Not an Omega. Doesn't that worry you, Eden? That somewhere there's someone more?" Literally the last line of dialogue before he starts doing his sun trick.

Either Manifold is going to figure out he is an omega mutant, or that he's going to run into some other Manifold type who can transport entire planets, or move through different universes.

Huh. I'd totally forgotten that line. Bizarre.

What's the odds that Ewing's setting something up for six or twelve months down the line?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Pretty good, He's done poo poo like that with his Ultimates before, and he's working on a line with Hickman as head guy

Ewing and Hickman... silly of me to even ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

I'm having a hard time these days knowing who is a mutant and who isn't any longer.

Maybe, I'm up to #36 for Excalibur and while they do still have Shadowcat, Nightcrawler and Rachel on their team they don't really seem that X-Men adjacent.

They show up a bit in the Phalanx Covenant, but I can't think of any other X-events short of full-on alt-timelines that they show up.