Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

What's the cliff notes on War of The Realms? Is it just a company wide event ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

Toro was human?

I thought he was a mutant.
Aside from him, Namor, Bucky, Cap and The Human Torch, are there any other golden age marvel (or atlas) comic super hero running around in the current continuity?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

What happened to the teenaged X-men that were transported to the present by Beast? Are they still around? Did they got forgotten like Hope Summer's team?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Got sent back by a new teen Cable. Before they left though Jean did some memory bullshit so that all their current incarnations still remember their past selves' adventures.

Aww that's a shame. I enjoyed their appearances and liked teen Cyclops way more than regular Cyclops.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alhazred posted:

He's an ex-marine who knows how guns works, it's not more complicated than that:
How can Punisher be a Marine if he never kills innocent civilians?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

I know there was a point where Northstar's health was badly deteriorating for a while (hacking cough, weakness, etc); accelerated by Pestilence(?) who saw a 'sickness' in him.

IIRC, the big reveal was that 'Oh no! North Star has AIDS!' But editorial put their foot down, and it was changed that Northstar and Aurora were 'half-fairy' and being away from their home world was making him sick.

That turned out to be a ruse, and he just got better, I think.

"Let's give our only openly gay character AIDS!"
Yikes.
"No, wait, our openly gay character is actually a fairy!"
YIKES.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

When did Batman got his little Starro buddy? (Issue number)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Which issue of the Dark Nights Metal storyline had the picture of a whole bunch of Dark Multiverse concepts on a splash page? The one I mainly remember was a 'Parasite Superman'. There were some others with a 'Cheetah Wonder Woman' and 'Riddler with a question mark shaved on his head', I found those, but I can't find that dark Parasite Superman and others splash page

If I remember correctly it was Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl fighting them, so either the Hawkman Found issue or the last main Metal issue.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

-The Immortal Iron Fist by Rucka, Fraction, Aja and Foreman (Kung-Fu action starting in the streets of Marvel New York and including a mystical martial arts tournament).
-Bendis's run on Daredevil (it's basically what if everything goes wrong for Matt Murdock, but it's good comics).
-Moon Knight by Ellis and Shalvey (It's only 6 very good issues of one and done stories).
-Planet Hulk by Pak, Pagualayan and Lopresti (Hulk wrecks poo poo on an alien planet and finds himself).
-Young Avengers by Gillen and Mckelvie (Stylish and fun comic and some questionable music choices for teens to listen to (Do people under 35 listen to Donna Summer?)).
-Runaways by Rowell and Anka. (One of the best (if not THE best) Runaways series in a long time. Also, the best book out comic-fashion wise thanks to Anka).

Vincent fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 3, 2019

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Where did the term “flat scan” to refer to humans came up in X-Men comics? I mean more “why flat scan” than what issue number.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

There’s a biographical manga about a book shop employee and one of his responsibilities is to stock the American comics section (he notes that these books are bigger and heavier than manga) so I guess they do become translated, but mainly the TPBS.

I used to do fan translation for cape titles to Spanish (for Chile and Southamerica) so yes, those do happen (or did. I stopped years ago). The South American (more specifically: Chile) situation right now is that the popular titles get translated by a publishing house (if they are not going out of business, which is more common than you would think) and you can find those issues in newsstands and comic shops.
The shops, as you would imagine, carry way more stuff (more TPBS translated from Spain (gringo, euro and japanese comics) than single issues).
There’s is one store and also a video game and geek poo poo brand (sort of like GameStop) that bring untranslated comics (single issues) but those are a bit more expensive than cover price.

I don’t tend to buy translated comics and honestly since I can buy digital (I can use my card in comixology since amazon bought them) I don’t go to the shops much, so my info could be a bit out of date.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Oh man, It totally skipped my mind that Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber have been in comics for decades and did a double take when I saw their names. 1993!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bessantj posted:

Was "Heroes in Crisis" any good?

Probably the worst crime a CIA agent has ever been involved in.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

"Who is Green Lantern? Be warned, there are wrong answers."

"Should Mogo socialize? [Y/N]"

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm reading Justice League Dark and I have a question. Since when can Animal Man call and control animals?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Here's what I think you need to know if you jump from Vaughn's to Rowells excellent current series (not necessary, 'cause things get explained when needed, but if you're curious):

- Some of the runaways are 18 or 19 (not because of any comic-type stuff. Time just passed by).
-Gert and Chase end up as girlfriend and boyfriend, it was quite sweet. Sadly, she died saving the team, and passed her control/connection of Old Lace to Chase.

-Victor is a latino kid with electricity/magnetism sorta powers who they thought was Magneto's kid, turns out he's actually Ultron's kid (he's an android built by him). Who was prophesied to become "Victorious" a villain who would one day kill all superheroes and rule the world. He joins the team. Later, he was part of the Avengers A.I. team formed by Hank Pym, where he befriended another team member, a Doombot who knows it's a doombot, yet who still believes he's doom. He was one of the better characters of that series. Then, he was in Tom King's Vision, where Captain America asked him to spy on Vision and his new family, he accidentally killed his nephew/Vision's son after doing some robo-drugs. Vision, understandably, "killed" him (straight up destroyed his body).

- Karolina realizes she's gay, came out to her friends and after some stuff, was in a relationship to Xavin, a skrull. They (Xavin) end up in space and Karolina remains on earth. Time passes and she and Julie Power (of the Power Pack) started dating.

- Molly once beat up both The Punisher and Wolverine (not at the same time, but she deffo could if she wanted to).

-The team traveled to the past (early 1900's New York) and find Klara, a girl who has the power to control and create plants (think poison ivy, but more vines and flowers than carnivore plants). Since she's an orphan with no family she joins the team and travels back to the present with them. THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR HER BIO.

Powers-wise, everyone is the same, though Chase has realized that he's like, stupid good at building things. Don't remember if this was in the first series, but Karolina wears a bracelet so she's not rainbow/shiny all the time.

That's pretty much it. Going into the current series you should also know that the artist, Kris Anka, is one of the best costume/clothes designers in comics right now, so everyone is gonna have immaculate fits.

You really don't need to read Avengers Arena, it was poo poo, pretty much every writer has either ignored it or just added a little "oh yeah, CHARACTER NAME was in Avengers Arena" in pretty much every comic since then.

Avengers Academy has a small arc with the Runaways, but is not really necessary to understand anything. Still, it's a pretty good series, so if you like teenage hero adventures, give it a shot.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Things Stamina and Durability seem super low. I thought being able to take a beating was his whole thing in the Hulk match ups. Hulk had more strength, but Ben was tougher.

The classic issue with the intergalactic boxer was very much that: Ben might not be the strongest, but he'll endure pretty much just anything.

Even before that, in the Kirby and Lee days, that was Ben's thing. An unbreakable spirit (and some self hate) more than stamina.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I have a question about Hawkman (weird, right?).

In his current series, he's Carter Hall, adventuring archaeologist, but from what I know of Hawkman (Carter Hall version) he's supposed to be incredibly violent, headstrong and just kinda brutal in his crime fighting, but in this series he's kinda...just boring? Like, he's not really violent or anything and he seems to have lived for a long, long time (long enough so that he has confidants, friends and helpers from around the world where he'd saved either their great grandfathers or something generations back). I know his whole reincarnation deal, but in his previous lives, he was different people. In this series the people he talks to give the impression that he's been around for a good hundred or so years.

Did Hawkman got rebooted again when he came back in Metal? Is this Carter Hall the same violent guy from this panel? Has he always been alive since, like, the 1800's or something?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Selachian posted:

I don't remember the details, but Mutant X took place in an alternate universe where Havok, rather than Cyclops, was the founding leader of the X-Men. Hence Mackie's freedom to go nuts as possible without screwing up the 616 continuity.

Yup. Mutant X takes place in an alternate reality. Storm got turned int oa vampire by Dracula, Beast started experimenting even more into himself and turned green, dumb and aquatic, Ice-man got cursed by Loki and other things. It had some neat ideas.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

In another world, it would've been canon that Viv Vision considers them family

https://twitter.com/audkoch/status/1100960046349873153

Edit: Has there been an old Marvel superhero (I mean, like real-life old. Like a Timely character) who was retroactively made a mutant? I thought about Toro, but reading his wiki, it turns out he got re-retroactively made an inhuman.
Edit edit: Besides Namor.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 22, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is Taskmaster a mutant? Wikipedia says he was born with powers so I assume so, but I’ve never read enough with him to know if he’s considered a mutant.

This is also an interesting point, since being born with powers is a-ok, but if you develop them during puberty, you're a mutant destined to be hated and feared.
The puberty stuff is still a thing, right?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Uh that one with the teen heroes not being allowed to be heroes is still going on?

Civil War Two: For Tots!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

What are the good Future State books?

Edit:

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he's shown up since before Secret Wars, Yes, who the gently caress knows he's a time traveler, at least 3.

Iron Lad was in the Exiles book by Saladin Ahmed, but I don't remember if he was a member for the entire run.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 19, 2021

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

X-O posted:

Top 5 Future Slate Books

Well that's dissapointing. I was thinking about getting back to reading some DC comics : c

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

"Ey why's Betty Asian allufa sudden?"
She went through a magic crystal or something? I don't remember the details.

Betsy and mind transference.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I read Long Halloween years ago, but what stuck into my mind was when Calendar Man and the Falcone kid are together in Arkham they told eachother their names (-"Calendar Man" -"Holiday") and gave eachother bitchy side-eyes.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It sounds like as good an idea in universe and reality wise as the first Civil War comics.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

wow i really need to read all-star six pack

Yes, but not if you liked what was on that spoiler.

muscles like this! posted:

Doesn't that book end with everyone dying?

Htman spoilers: Baytor also survived.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

maltesh posted:

Having set myself the Sisyphean task of burning through the entire Arrowverse, a question comes to my mind.

When did the Flash's costume start being considered protective gear against the effects of superspeed instead of just a costume?

Is it something that originated in the television shows, and has it been the case in the comics?

In the comics, it's the Speed Force which prevents speedsters from catching fire, die and/or sonic-booming their surroundings any time they run faster than sound. I think Flash's costume (pre nu 52 armored costumes) only special thing was that it fit on his ring (also due to the Speed Force if I'm remembering correctly).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Well, DC comics certainly answered THAT question yesterday.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Is there a collection of Jack Cole's Plastic Man? One that's, hopefully, still in print and that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars for a single volume.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Miracle Man in the Marvel U wouldn't be Miracle Man. It'd look like him, but it would be a very different character.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Why are comic cover dates one month in the future?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

I just finished The Twelve after finding it on the cheap at my local Ollie's. Maybe I set my expectations low but I actually enjoyed it, despite the extremely obvious Watchmen-worship.

Have any of those characters been used since the miniseries?

If I remember correctly, Mastermind Excello appeared or was named in a single panel in Amadeus Cho's first appearance. The other character haven't appeared since and I don't think any of them have been in any comics even after the reboot at the end of Hickman's Secret Wars.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FoneBone posted:

that was actually a couple years before The Twelve started

Then I remembered incorrectly.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Ugh doesn't one of Darkseid's kids literally command a force of tigers?

That was just in Final Crisis. Kalibak generally is just angry and strong and has one of those short, golden clubs.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

And his name was... LightTzitzimine

He was trying to make him a better hero.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

If there's a boy who gets to kiss or date or marry a girl in a comic, and it's written by a boy, the character is a self-insert.

Sometimes they're self-inserts even if not all of these qualifiers are true!

I'm a Kong = Bendis truther.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Yup, it's been widely available in :filez: form for a minute now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

But Kate belongs with either Ilyan or Rachel.

I always read it as Ilyana being the best friend and Rachel being the girlfriend (and Storm being the first crush).