Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sleepingbuddha posted:

It works great on the iPad.

I won't say great. The way it loads pages is pretty crap, having no good way to move between issues also sucks. Out of the 3 comic apps I have installed, it's definitely the worst of the 3.

That said, it's still great to have an iPad app and it's perfectly usable.

Waterhaul posted:

Comixology all seems to be working fine for me now so thankfully their outage wasn't as bad as last time.

Fear Itself sale is on which is :siren:a terrible book not worth even the reduced price :siren: but it also includes tie-ins and as such some of Kieron Gillen/Dougie Braithwaite's Journey into Mystery which is well worth the money.

So y'know if you have any interest in Loki you should give them a read.

Journey Into Mystery is the 100% best thing to come out of Fear Itself.

Uncanny X-Men is another very good tie in to Fear Itself. I'd also recommend Avengers Academy tie in, though I'm not sure how it would be standalone. The whole series is good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

loudog999 posted:

The Marvel Unlimited app on iPad just got another update. This one actually does seem like it improves the reading experience. There is a "Downloading Comic" box that comes up before you start reading so I guess it's doing a better buffering job than before. So far this morning I haven't seen one blank page so hopefully that's a thing of the past. Also, you get an option to read the next issue once you finish the one you are reading.

MASSIVE improvement.

Much smoother, no randomly missing pages in a comic. And when you get to the end of the comic, it offers a button for the next issue. The reading experience is actually good.

Haven't tried the AR thing yet, but I've spent a long time wondering why Comixology doesn't include this feature.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Senor Candle posted:

Man the new app is like 100% better. It still crashes a lot when I try to search for specific artists/writers or whatever, but other than that most of my problems with it are fixed. Still no good guided view though. :(

Guided view is in. You can't double tap, but click the icon at the bottom that looks like 3 boxes to turn it on.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

krakagar posted:

New Marvel app is so much better, except that I can't find a way to read landscape and fit 1 page to width, or pinch to zoom, meaning I have to read portrait instead, which isn't as comfortable for me, so despite all the actual improvements, this is actually worse for me :,(

It broke a bunch of these pages, unfortunately.

Everything else is a lot better.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

This sucks.

Amazon buying out Comixology has resulted in a huge loss of functionality because they don't want to give Apple money.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aphrodite posted:

I bought an issue through the app once.

It cost more and didn't actually get added to my account until 3 days later.

I bought issues through the app constantly.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aphrodite posted:

The delay was because the app store screwed up and probably a one time thing, but the higher cost is always there.

Of course. Apple charges like 30% or something, I think.

Edit: Apparently so does Google, but that's with their billing API. Maybe Android allows you to use your own to save on costs? I've never used the Android one.

It costs exactly the same.

By Apples rules, it HAS to cost the same. There's no higher price, Comixology just gets less money.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is it that difficult to switch over to the web store on mobile devices?

Obviously it's not that difficult. But Comixology got a poo poo load of purchases from me in app for the convenience of hitting the end of an issue and hitting the buy button. And the website is garbage at staying logged in on multiple devices.

The flip side of this is that, as a consumer, I've lost functionality I used so Corporation X can take the 30% cut instead of Corporation Y. I get it that they're in it for the money, but it's still a downgrade for me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Cool, so you're calling the creators who have been saying to buy through the website since long before the Amazon purchase for this exact reason liars?

Sorry, but which creators ever said this? All I ever saw was goons speculating that it meant more money for creators. Maybe I missed it somewhere.

And this whole thing is happening because Amazon bought them out, so I really wonder how long it will last.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Trast posted:

That article seems to very "the sky is falling" when at most it just added another step to buying a comic for Ipad users. Also you can't tell me Apple wouldn't have done the same thing to the android platforms if they'd bought Comixology.

1) It takes what was previously a seamless experience and requires you to change apps, then change back and begin the download.
2) It removes the option to pay with iTunes credit.
3) It was done with no warning or announcement, meaning there was no chance for anyone who had iTunes credit stored to use it up.
4) It added no additional functionality or benefit whatsoever.

You can argue Apple might've done the same -- we don't know. I doubt it, personally, since it seems like it's going to be a net reduction in sales. That's all speculation. Either way, it's not a good move, and just because a competitor would do it too doesn't make it one.

Sarchasm posted:

On average, about how much time has been added to each purchase by this update?

It depends. They've done a bit to make the mobile site better. But my general comic buying pattern tends to be "Buy the first arc on the website, read it, if I like it, start buying it through the iPad as I get to the end of an issue." That's basically gone, or at least so much less convenient that I'm not going to bother. It's certainly cutting down on my impulse buying.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Senor Candle posted:

Dude the entire point of FCBD is to get people into stores.

I have no interest in comic book stores or physical releases. If they're going to release parts of the story for FCBD, they should provide it digitally too.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Flameingblack posted:

I honestly keep giving my LCS chance after chance and they manage to spectacularly gently caress it up every time.

Strike one: When I first went there, they were releasing Wednesday's comics on Friday, if I were lucky enough. Goons called the store and punked them out.
Strike two: They weren't selling Miracle Man because the owner didn't like Alan Moore. Alan Moore wasn't even getting paid for this comic so whatever.
Strike Three: They order so little Marvel comics that they might as well not carry them at all. I get there by noon and they're sold out of almost all Marvel comics.
Strike Four: Free comicbook day bullshit where they were charging for the free comic books.

I'd just prefer to buy everything digital or from TFAW. Their tag-line is "The only game in town!" and it's true. They can get away with this nonsense because the next closest comic shop is almost an hour and a half away. I would have rather just had digitals of the free comics as well.

I have a few options around here. On the other hand, I do not want physical books (the storage is insane if you read a lot, or it's wasting money to throw it away), the comic book shops tend to be dead empty (and have one of the counter guys following me around) or it's full of people (and most of the stores I know of are tiny).

I've found one store I vaguely like that I'll occasionally browse for trades. But it's too out of the way to go weekly, and going on FCBD (which I'd imagine is a big day for them, peoplewise) just sounds horrifying.

I buy a lot of comics every week. I get that retail stores want to keep in business and that a lot of people want them to, but this just feels too much like music companies trying to hold onto the physical at the expense of digital.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rirse posted:

Still new to Marvel Unlimited, but what day does it get 'new' comics? Had it since Tuesday and it still just showing the same thing on the front page. As for Unlimited itself, I am loving it, but wished the older comics were a little more optimized since they have a lot of space around the pages and I have to zoom those out on the Nexus 7.

Monday morning is when the emails comes out, I think the "New" page starts populating late Sunday evening.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

hadji murad posted:

Saga vol 1 is on sale for 1.99 on Comixology. Bought the first three at a previous sale and coincidentally started reading it today.

It's really, really brilliant. Buy it.

edit: blasting through vol 2 now, best read in ages (well Thor: the Accursed was something special too)

Thanks, Picked up Volume 1.

Do the volumes add anything not in individual issues? It's $15 for Vol 2, but buying the 6 issues individually @ $1.99 would be $3 cheaper. Seems really stupid.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of collections aren't actually that cost effective.

At least when it comes to digital.

Usually they at least match the general price, so it's like, 6 cents more to buy the collection than to buy the individual issues. In this cue, it's just wildly different and I don't see how they came up with it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Flameingblack posted:

Idea-wise, Way's run was really interesting and fun. Execution wise, it sucked and I hate Way's writing and his introduction of a third loving internal monologue, it was just grating as hell.

"Haha the editor is talking to him in the comic so funny!!!" it wears off really fast.

That got retconned. It's not an editor, it's someone else. Explained in an annual in the new series, in a vaguely amusing way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have thoughts on DMZ? Seems like something to go for.