Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Veloc posted:

Everyone seems to forget Infinite Space. It's the only Platinum game I haven't played, but still probably worth adding to the OP.
Anyone know if it was any good?

Sometimes I feel like the only person who ever played Infinite Space but lemme break it down.

Infinite Space is loving amazing. It's a pseudo open world space game that has you building up a space armada to do stuff. However it's space travel like an Arthur C Clark book so not a simple warp one engage thing. You can customize every single ship room for room, more engines is more speed but you can use small engines and cram some extra poo poo in there. A ship can be a carrier, cargo ship, missile interceptor, command vessel, troop transport, all through shuffling around the insides. It's a really awesome game.

Did I mention the plot is like you described Childhoods End to the Metal Gear Rising team? Because it's insane and pretty awesome. It's also got a branching story where main characters can die drastically changing the story.

If you have a ds you should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Infinite Space had a lot of cool ideas like the ship customizing and whatnot, but the combat was definitely lacking and there was absolutely no direction in terms of where to go to continue the plot. The combat is entirely based on your preparation for battles because it's only a little more hands on than the kind of autobattles you see in games like Assassin's Creed Black Flag (Kenway's fleet sidecontent) or Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker (outer ops). It's cool for random battle with space pirates, but bosses are entirely trial and error until you figure out what setup you should be using and then hope that the boss doesn't do too much damage.

The art is great and there's an assload of content, but the gameplay is far from anything resembling a Platinum game. If you take a break from the game and forget where you should be heading next, you might as well restart the game instead of spending hours wandering the galaxy for where you should be going.

e: I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's still worth playing. Just don't go buying it because it's a Platinum, buy it because it's an awesome space game.

There's a lot of combat options if you have the skills and equipment for it. Plus all the cool kids just full power right at dudes and board them to do the boarding minigame.

You can get lost yeah but there are a few bars that you can go to who will tell you what's going on in the story if you forget.

Also Platinum games never sell because they get zero advertising ever. Even the best game doesn't sell for poo poo if no one knows about it.

• Locked thread