Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wasn't The Wonderful 101 originally going to feature Nintendo characters? I love how creative they were with the characters they ended up using Wonder Santa :allears: but it definitely would have drawn more attention from people. If Super Smash Bros. still had generic people like in the original footage, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

I need to wait for my PS3 to come back, but I'm going to pick up Vanquish soon. Any tips on that?

Oh man, where to start...

Don't use cover unless you're almost dead. Just dodging and boosting will allow you to dodge most attacks and bullets. You always have four melee attacks available, one of each weapon and one while boosting, so make sure you know what each one does and the best way to use them. Make sure you never let your boost or slow motion deplete the gauge completely, or you'll have to wait for it to refill.

Before the game came out, they released a demo of stage 1-3 (the one with the first boss fight) and I played that over and over again until I was comfortable with the game. It was completely overwhelming, and I ran out of ammo on the boss, but once I'd mastered the mechanics it became one of my favourite games of the generation. I'd recommend doing the same thing rather than just trying to plough through to the end without a firm grasp of the gameplay.

Advanced tricks:

The game is divided into Acts, Chapters, and Checkpoints. If you die, you can either start at the last checkpoint, which counts as a death, or the beginning of the chapter, which doesn't. Dying on Normal or above will downgrade your held weapons, and prevent you from getting the 'no death' trophy, but if you quit to the main menu and load the checkpoint, you'll be able to continue from it without losing much progress or having it count as a death.

Picking up a gun that's the same as one you have equipped fills up the ammo, no matter how much was in the dropped weapon. However, there's a trick to make it easier to upgrade weapons. Normally you have to pick up a weapon of the same type while you have full ammo for it. However, if there's another weapon lying around, you can swap them out so that you're holding the one with full ammo, and upgrade it with the depleted one you had previously. Weapon upgrades apply to all weapons of that type for that playthrough, and it doesn't matter if the weapon you use to upgrade isn't at full capacity, only the one you're currently holding. You'd usually have upgraded all your favourite weapons to maximum by the end of the game anyway, but this just lets you do it faster.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fetucine posted:

A Platinum mega-crossover fighting game, with two or three characters from each property, would own a whole lot.

Raiden was absolutely nuts in PlayStation All-Stars, so I can't begin to imagine a whole game of them. Just chuck in Dante (the real one), Gene, Amaterasu, Leon Kennedy, Travis Touchdown, and the entire Killer7 syndicate for good measure.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Reallycoolname posted:

On the subject of Vanquish, this is how it should be played:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12604684 (account needed)

Just showing off at every possible opportunity whether there's anyone around to see it or not. :cool: The guy has a playlist of him going to town too; if nothing else, check out the bossfights.

I was able to use a proxy to bypass the account requirement. Thanks for sharing this, it shows how great Platinum are even in different genres.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I love Vanquish but I really really do wish the melee wasn't limited, even if it was just a post-game unlockable or something. I love melee combat in shooters and Vanquish's would be top of the heap if it wasn't so costly.

Same here. I wish the game had some unlockables like costumes and special powers, and a new difficulty between Hard and God Hard. Hard is too easy, and God Hard is just bullshit. The problem is that while games like Devil May Cry make the enemies more powerful on the hardest difficulty by giving them the ability to use Devil Trigger, Vanquish weakens the main character by preventing you from upgrading your weapons and making your suit overheat more quickly.

Pro tips: using boost and slow motion doesn't drain the gauge any faster than using one of them by themselves (except on God Hard), and you can boost kick an enemy through cover. Remember you always have four melee moves available to you, except for the DLC weapons which reuse some. Also, swapping out a weapon while reloading it and then swapping back will instantly refill it, so it overcomes the Boost Machine Gun's small clip size.

• Locked thread