Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

PlatinumGames Inc. was formed on August 1, 2006 and is based in Osaka, Japan. It more or less sprung out of Capcom's defunct Clover Studios (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand), with numerous former employees of Clover serving as the bulk of the workforce in Platinum. So far, the games developed by PlatinumGames Inc. have been generally regarded as very fine games with a steep learning curve. There was quite a bit of depth, but integral mechanics were either vaguely explained or their importance was downplayed by tutorials. Nonetheless, if you're in to fast paced action games and you have patience for difficulty curves, or you have the restraint to know when to switch to Easy, then you can't go wrong with Platinum.

Games (release dates, console info, and blurbs mostly gathered from Platinum's official website)

Madworld
Released: 2010年2月10日 (Japan); March 10, 2009 (North America); 20 March 2009 (Europe)
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Genre: Bloodbath Action

Welcome to Varrigan City. Driven into quarantine and chaos by the outbreak of a deadly virus, ‘survival of the fittest’ takes on a whole new meaning as trapped citizens are pitted against each other in the gruesome sports show, “Death Watch.”

Bayonetta
Released: 2009年10月29日 (JPN); January 5, 2010 (NA); 10 January 2010 (EU)
Platforms: Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Genre: ∞ Climax Action

A witch with powers beyond the comprehension of mere mortals, Bayonetta faces-off against countless angelic enemies, many reaching epic proportions, in a game of 100% pure, unadulterated all-out action.

Vanquish
Released: 2010年10月21日 (JPN); October 19, 2010 (NA); 22 October 2010 (EU)

Directed by Shinji Mikami, the creator of the Resident Evil series, Vanquish is a sci-fi shooter that sees players take the role of Sam, a government agent kitted out with a futuristic battle suit. A versatile fighter with a huge arsenal of weaponry at his disposal, Sam also has an array of martial arts skills that he can use to take down his robot enemies.

Anarchy Reigns
Released: 2012年7月5日 (JPN); January 8, 2013 (NA); 11 January 2013 (EU)

With Anarchy Reigns, PlatinumGames uses their hallmark creativity and technical excellence to challenge the boundaries of the conventional brawler genre by allowing multiple players to get involved in heavy-hitting action simultaneously. Anarchy Reigns incorporates a diverse range of multiplayer modes to provide players with different challenges, including Tag Team battles and Battle Royal, where players can challenge others in a full-on fight for victory.

Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE
Released: 2013年2月21日 (JPN); February 19, 2013 (NA); 21 February 2013 (EU)
Platforms: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, :pcgaming: PC :pcgaming:

Konami Kojima Productions in the east and PlatinumGames in the west. These two world-class powerhouses among Japanese studios have combined forces to create the new “Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.” This game constructs a world that is in line with the “Metal Gear” universe, while also possessing enough originality to distinguish itself from Metal Gear “Solid,” in order to provide a new Metal Gear that focuses on exciting action!

The Wonderful 101
Released: 2013年8月23日 (JPN); August 24, 2013 (NA); 15 September 2013 (EU)
Platform: Wii U
Genre: Unite Action

As Wonder-Red, leader of the Wonderful 100, you must unite your band of Wonderful Ones to morph into powerful transformations such as a fist, sword, glider or gun to battle invaders throughout Blossom City and all of Earth. It’s up to you and your team of superheroes to take on colossal robots and alien masterminds bent on obliterating everything in their path.

Upcoming Games

Bayonetta 2
Platform: Wii U

External Links
http://platinumgames.com/ - PlatinumGames Inc. official English website
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya - Hideki Kamiya's Twitter

Games from Clover Studio, prequel to Platinum Games Inc.

Viewtiful Joe
Released: 2003年6月26日 (JPN); October 7, 2003 (NA); 22 October 2004 (EU)
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube, Playstation 2

Viewtiful Joe features traditional 2D platform side-scrolling intermixed with 3D cel-shaded graphics. Abilities known as "VFX Powers" grant the player special actions for combat and puzzle-solving, such as slowing down or speeding up time. Viewtiful Joe was critically acclaimed for its unique visual style and gameplay, earning itself a number of awards from various media publications.

Viewtiful Joe 2
Released: 2004年12月16日 (JPN); December 8, 2004 (US); 1 April 2005 (EU)
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube, Playstation 2

Very similar to its predecessor, Viewtiful Joe 2 is a combination of 2D and 3D cel-shaded graphics with action, platforming, and beat 'em up gameplay elements. Using either of the characters Viewtiful Joe or Sexy Silvia, the player must utilize "VFX Powers" in order to battle enemies and solve puzzles. Any integral part of the gameplay, these special abilities include being able slow down, speed up, zoom into, or replay the onscreen action.

Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble or Viewtiful Joe: Battle Carnival(JPN)
Released: 2005年9月29日 (JPN); November 8, 2005 (NA); 25 February 2006 (EU)
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube, Playstation Portable

A slightly mission-based fighting/beat 'em up somewhat similar in style to Super Smash Bros. Melee and Power Stone, though it uses a modified engine from previous games in the series, featuring characters and powers from the Viewtiful Joe games and anime.

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble! or Viewtiful Joe: Scratch! (JPN)
Released: 2005年11月2日 (JPN); November 8, 2005 (NA); 24 February 2006 (EU)
Platform: Nintendo DS

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble! is a mix of the platforming and beat 'em up video game genres. The DS touchscreen is a key feature of the game's controls, enabling players to utilize Viewtiful Joe's unique VFX powers in order to battle enemies and solve puzzles. These include being able to split the level in half horizontally or to swap the top screen to the touchscreen and vice versa.

Ōkami
Released: 2006年4月20日 (JPN); September 19, 2006 (NA); 9 February 2007 (EU)
Platforms: Playstation 2, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3 (HD Remake)

Ōkami has the player controlling the main character, Amaterasu, in a woodcut, watercolor style, cel-shaded environment, which looks like an animated Japanese ink-illustration (known as ink wash painting, sumi-e) with other styles of art. The gameplay style is a mix of action, platform, and puzzle gaming genres, and has been noted by many reviewers to have numerous similarities in overall gameplay style to The Legend of Zelda series, an inspiration that director Hideki Kamiya, a self-proclaimed Zelda-fan, has admitted has influenced his general game design.

God Hand
Released: 2006年9月14日 (JPN); October 10, 2006 (NA); 16 February 2007 (EU)
Platform: Playstation 2, Playstation Network

The player takes control of Gene, a martial artist who wields one of the legendary "God Hands", a pair of divine arms that were once used to save the world from a demon, Angra. Gene and his companion Olivia are eventually caught up in an attempt by a group of demons known as the Four Devas to resurrect Angra for purposes of world domination. The game mixes western and Japanese-themed comedy, containing over-the-top characters and storyline events. The gameplay combines traditional elements of the beat 'em up genre with new features. These include being able to map and string together a large repertoire of fighting techniques to the gamepad's face buttons in order to create unique combo attacks.

Mark your spoilers accordingly and we'll have a grand old time discussing (gushing and whining about) action games courtesy of PlatinumGames Inc.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

You might as well throw the Clover games in the op as well.

Done and done

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Apparently that was only produced by Platinum, not developed. I heard it was pretty good though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

From what I gather from SpaceDrake's abandoned LP, Infinite Space had a great story but the game part was tedious as gently caress with mandatory battles that were impossible if you didn't do this or that earlier in the game.

Commissar Ken posted:

WHERES THE "AND GREAT AMERICAN GAMERY" PART?!?! YOU hosed THE TITLE UP!

Wouldn't fit.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is that shaolin soccer? I don't recognize the first gif but haven't seen the move in a while.

Yeah, that's Shaolin Soccer.

And if PES: REVENGEANCE doesn't happen, then I'd be fine with Platinum taking a page from Capcom and collaborating with Level-5 to make Inazuma Eleven even crazier.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Doesn't VGChartz not count digital sales (and also makes up numbers)? Anyway, I feel like the money Platinum could put into running ads is instead put into paying the testers to make drat sure the dodge offset is working correctly.

And then there are dumbasses like me who've never used or cared about the dodge offset.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Just started playing 101 on Hard for the first time. I knew the enemies would be switched around, but I wasn't expecting to fight a giant robot in the prologue with only Red. drat, that was the one part that stopped me from getting a Pure Platinum rank. And then I got my rear end kicked on 1-A and barely scraped a Consolation Prize.

This is gonna be fun.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I played through Madworld and I love it. Y'all haters have bad opinions. The true pimps, playas and pain purveyas know where it's at :colbert:

As for Infinite Space...Hoooooo maaaaaaaan.
I love Infinite Space. It's flawed. It's hard. They needed more budget and time on the sound. Among other things.

But seriously, isn't there a point where it's impossible to progress if you didn't push for fighter research way earlier in the game? Like, you're locked into that battle and you can't back out to grind up fighters.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It was before the halfway point.

Ah what the hell, I'll hunt down a copy for cheap and play it for real. I was loving the LP before it had to be abandoned.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Platinum announces a game for The Legend of Korra

I didn't know I wanted this. Apparently it's going to be a bridge between the second and third seasons.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If it's at least half a Revengeance in quality, I'll be fine with that. Not knocking Revengeance, but that game's development cycle was pretty short right?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Revengeance is 50% off on Steam until July 21.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Please don't kill humans in the name of Bayonetta.

And while it doesn't look nearly as polished as Bayonetta, have a demo video of Korra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

Apparently it only looks boring right now because barely any of the moves are unlocked, but subsequent runs will be more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Legend of Korra comes Steamside in about 20 hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/281690/

• Locked thread