Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Wasn't there one Nitro where the entire first hour was just the nwo sitting in what looked like the corner booth of Denny's, bullshitting away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

skaboomizzy posted:

Wasn't there one Nitro where the entire first hour was just the nwo sitting in what looked like the corner booth of Denny's, bullshitting away?

There's one where they have several segments with the nWo in a cheap hotel room where they are basically bullshitting.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What about terrible production values? I remember watching an episode of Thunder where segment 3 aired before segment 2 (or whatever).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Voting is open: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3612733&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post426442570

You have two days to vote.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Late and not related to dumb things they booked, but the stupidest thing WCW ever did was fail to construct a clear chain of command. In WWE, you know Vince is the man, you know who his lieutenants are, and you know who reports to them. WCW was a disorganized mess in the office and that's what ensured their downfall.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

quote:

Goldberg vs Hogan happens on free TV

Goldberg was red hot in the early summer of 98, and WCW's house show business was on fire. In July WCW had a big Nitro at the Georgia Dome that was selling well. Turner execs would be there, and Hogan smelled gold. He convinced Bischoff to do a non title dark match: Hogan vs Goldberg which he would lose clean. He could thus make the Turner execs think he drew that house and appear more valuable in the company. At the same time Raw started beating Nitro in the ratings and Bischoff panicked. On the Thunder before that Nitro, it was announced it would be Goldberg vs Hogan for the title on Nitro. Hogan agreed to do the job on one condition: He got to break the streak. Thus, they could never do a rematch on PPV (and ended up with Nash and Hogan coming to an agreement where Nash got the streak but Hogan got the belt.) Goldberg's title reign got off to a lovely start too because he was scheduled for midcard matches all summer while Hogan had been planned for Hart.

The case against: It did a huge rating and was a great moment.

Can't ever hate this. I've only got a handfull of wrestling memories this vivid. My dad was in major surgery at the Mayo Clinic and I saw this match in his hospital room while the surgery ran over like 3 hours. It was the first thing I told him when he got out. "GOLDBERG BEAT HOGAN! ON NITRO!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Fuckin' Hogan :argh:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What about terrible production values? I remember watching an episode of Thunder where segment 3 aired before segment 2 (or whatever).

There are at least two instances I can think of at the moment. The first, which you mentioned, was showing the replay of the ending to a Villanos/whoever match where Villano V unmasked to reveal himself as Sting about forty minutes before the actual match even aired. The second is match that ended with Mike Awesome getting the poo poo kicked out of him and thrown into the back of an ambulance that drives away. The very next segment has him hanging out with the New Blood (or whoever) backstage.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

haljordan posted:

Fuckin' Hogan :argh:

So if Bischoff had said, no, you're jobbing to Goldberg, and he'll be mowing down the rest of the nWo, and the streak will probably stay around to help develop a new monster heel? (So, basically, Hogan wouldn't get his "win" back for a long time, if ever.)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Red posted:

So if Bischoff had said, no, you're jobbing to Goldberg, and he'll be mowing down the rest of the nWo, and the streak will probably stay around to help develop a new monster heel? (So, basically, Hogan wouldn't get his "win" back for a long time, if ever.)

Everything involving Hogan just seems so drat convoluted and way more complicated than necessary.

Also you know he acted like he was doing WCW an enormous favor by offering to lose to Goldberg, who had crazy heat at that point, in a fuckin' dark match that wasn't even for the title.

edit: Could someone clarify as to why they could not have a rematch on PPV if Hogan was allowed to break the streak?

quote:

Goldberg was red hot in the early summer of 98, and WCW's house show business was on fire. In July WCW had a big Nitro at the Georgia Dome that was selling well. Turner execs would be there, and Hogan smelled gold. He convinced Bischoff to do a non title dark match: Hogan vs Goldberg which he would lose clean. He could thus make the Turner execs think he drew that house and appear more valuable in the company. At the same time Raw started beating Nitro in the ratings and Bischoff panicked. On the Thunder before that Nitro, it was announced it would be Goldberg vs Hogan for the title on Nitro. Hogan agreed to do the job on one condition: He got to break the streak. Thus, they could never do a rematch on PPV (and ended up with Nash and Hogan coming to an agreement where Nash got the streak but Hogan got the belt.) Goldberg's title reign got off to a lovely start too because he was scheduled for midcard matches all summer while Hogan had been planned for Hart.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 4, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

quote:

Goldberg's title reign got off to a lovely start too because he was scheduled for midcard matches all summer while Hogan had been planned for Hart.

Ah, yes, Goldberg's title "defenses" against lovely midcard villains, because none of the top heels wanted to put him over (and many had the pull to turn it down).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Seriously, writing for WCW must've have been the easiest job ever because eventually every angle boiled down to "OK, just give <insert belt name here> to <some combination of Hall, Nash, Steiner and/or Hogan>. Don't worry about the details."

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 4, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

haljordan posted:

Everything involving Hogan just seems so drat convoluted and way more complicated than necessary.

Also you know he acted like he was doing WCW an enormous favor by offering to lose to Goldberg, who had crazy heat at that point, in a fuckin' dark match that wasn't even for the title.

edit: Could someone clarify as to why they could not have a rematch on PPV if Hogan was allowed to break the streak?

It would have been monumentally stupid to let Hogan break the streak.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

It would have been monumentally stupid to let Hogan break the streak.

No way, Hogan breaks the streak and then goes on a 100,000 match winning streak. RATINGS GOLD.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

quote:

Voting over! Here are the results:

WCW/Battle Dome Feud: 6
Halloween Havoc 98 Runs Late: 4
Hiring Vince Russo: 3
Firing Steve Austin: 3
Hiring Bill Watts: 4
loving Up Hiring Mike Awesome: 9
Robocop Saves Sting: 13
Brian Pillman Tricks Bischoff: 2
WCW and Mick Foley Part Ways: 2
nWo Souled Out: 3
Paul Roma in the Four Horsemen: 2
Chucky: 1
The Junkyard Invitational: 1
Hiring Lanny Poffo: 3
Hogan Burns the Observer During World War 3: 3
Madusa Throws the WWF Woman's Title in the Trash: 1
Goldberg vs Hogan for Free: 1
The Re-Branding: 1

18 things got votes with 62 total votes. I forgot to vote.

Robocop is gone. Will Mike Awesome be next?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that we live in a world where the fictional science-fiction character Robocop showing up at a pro-wrestling event to save a pro-wrestler was easily agreed as being far from the dumbest thing that wrestling company ever did. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that we live in a world where the fictional science-fiction character Robocop showing up at a pro-wrestling event to save a pro-wrestler was easily agreed as being far from the dumbest thing that wrestling company ever did. :allears:

I'm personally surprised Chucky didn't come close. Chucky happened with a mid carder on Nitro. Robocop happened with the next champion on PPV.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I'm personally surprised Chucky didn't come close. Chucky happened with a mid carder on Nitro. Robocop happened with the next champion on PPV.

One is a huge guy in a metal suit carrying a gun, the other is a puppet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rusty Shackelford posted:

One is a huge guy in a metal suit carrying a gun, the other is a puppet.

I mean, even if the guy in the Robocop suit can't really chase you, punching him in the stomach would still break my hand.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's because Robocop is rad and nobody really cares about Chucky. Chucky will be eliminated in due time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

It's because Robocop is rad and nobody really cares about Chucky. Chucky will be eliminated in due time.

Robocop is awesome and shouldn't be involved with saving non Hall of Famers.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
The Robocop thing was kinda dumb because he was going .000001MPH on his way to the ring. Didn't they spend the whole night showing Robocop's dressing room?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Robocop was there to advertise Robocop 3. Now if Clarence Boddicker was there and took care of a midcarder or entered a diva's lockerroom

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

Robocop was there to advertise Robocop 3. Now if Clarence Boddicker was there and took care of a midcarder or entered a diva's lockerroom

Boddicker was dead in canon by this point. RIP Boddicker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

So was the robocop series after Robocop 2.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Robocop 2, a movie I find even shittier than Robocop 3. Robocop 3 is at least its own over the top kind of kiddie stupid. Robocop 2 tries to be Robocop 1, but is too stupid to do it.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Shima Honnou posted:

If WCW is in continuity with Robocop, does that mean that WCW took place in a semi dystopic alternate future? If so, that explains a lot.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Angular Landbury posted:

If WCW is in continuity with Robocop, does that mean that WCW took place in a semi dystopic alternate future? If so, that explains a lot.

See: that time they were at Cobo Hall in Detroit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Angular Landbury posted:

Just look at how WCW Saturday Night would open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP5x0Hwltns

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Round 2 voting is now open in the voting thread. Only 24 hours of voting for the next several rounds.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I ended up voting for the White Hummer because it occurred to me that vehicle destruction was really big in that era as was mystery angles where the payoff wasn't planned in advance.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

vehicle destruction and one man fighting off an army of off-duty cops are the two things I miss most from the late 90's

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I picked Pillman tricking Bischoff this time because while it was kinda dumb, in my mind it reflects more on Bischoff himself than WCW as a whole. Now, considering that Eric was a major part of WCW, at least as I understand, it could still be pretty drat stupid

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I ended up voting for the White Hummer because it occurred to me that vehicle destruction was really big in that era as was mystery angles where the payoff wasn't planned in advance.

Absolutely no payoff to a mystery angle is dumber IMO than a hasty half assed payoff like Flair as the Black Scorpion or Vince as the Higher Power.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Thauros posted:

Absolutely no payoff to a mystery angle is dumber IMO than a hasty half assed payoff like Flair as the Black Scorpion or Vince as the Higher Power.

I thought we did, when the reboot episode happened. It was Bischoff all along!

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Angular Landbury posted:

Well, WCW did have their own Special Forces.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Meat Recital posted:

Well, WCW did have their own Special Forces.

Why didn't GI Bro join them instead of a bunch of misfits?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think spoiling Raw taping resutls was easily one of the dumbest things WCW ever did. Not only was it a dick move, and not only did WWF start doing live shows, but it led to the infamous "butts in seats" quip that made thousands of people watching Nitro change the channel to watch Raw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

I think spoiling Raw taping resutls was easily one of the dumbest things WCW ever did. Not only was it a dick move, and not only did WWF start doing live shows, but it led to the infamous "butts in seats" quip that made thousands of people watching Nitro change the channel to watch Raw.

Before the Butts in seats line there was the famous "he pins the big guy with three superkicks" line which got a lot of laughs from people and was pretty memorable. There's no such thing as a dick move in a wrestling war, and if you can force your competition to spend more money going live when they can't afford it, that's a good thing for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WWF.com had spoiled the title change for a week anyway.

e: I was skimming through The Death of WCW and they paid a six figure settlement over Mike Awesome leaving ECW.

• Locked thread