Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I appreciate the effort, but even then I'm still looking at printing out a copy of your list and staring at it while I look at the download list, which is just silly. It's as if they actually want to discourage people from buying this thing.

No, this is fair enough, their implementation is definitely wonky and weird (also poo poo like the Vita listing everything including PS3 stuff :wtc:). Hopefully this list won't expand any further in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Also correction on your list -
Super Dangan Ronpa 2 (Chinese/Japanese version, English version DOES NOT WORK) - The US release "Dangan Ronpa 2" works fine and is even on the supported games list.

Yeah, that's from a deprecated list, I should get rid of that section.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kirios posted:

So if you got the game via PS Plus it's incompatible?

No, he's just saying that most of the freebies he's gotten happened to be incompatible games, how much you paid (or didn't pay) for the game has no bearing on compatibility.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Also univbee you list UMvC3 as not working but it works fine.

I fully fixed my list, refresh the page.

EDIT Anyone know if Nidhogg works?

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 14, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

G-Prime posted:

So vanilla Soul Sacrifice doesn't work. Does Delta?

I just got my Vita TV converted to my Canadian account and am copying a bunch of stuff over to test with.

On the plus side it's recognizing the stuff I backed up from my regular Vita without issue so that's something.

EDIT
Pix the Cat works
:siren: NIDHOGG WORKS :siren:

Valkyria Chronicles works (needs to transfer from a PS3)
Suikoden works (needs to transfer from a PS3)
Crash Bandicoot Warped works (one of the accidentally approved games)

Doing a restore of a pile of other things but it might be a while. Things seem to mostly correllate with store listings, Nidhogg is the only unlisted game I can find that works so far.

Akiba'S trip is listed in the store so will try that.
Soul Sacrifice Delta isn't but I'm restoring it anyway to check, along with Sound Shapes and a few other things.

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 14, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren:Soul Sacrifice Delta works:siren:

Also Akiba'S trip and Mutant Mudds Deluxe

So I'm pretty sure any PSP or PS1 classics work the same as on regular Vita, so if they needed PS3 transfers before, they still do (although if you got them to a regular Vita already you have options from there that don't require a PS3 anymore).

Doesn't Work
Flower
FlOw
Sound Shapes
Surge Deluxe

I just thought of a few more titles to test so will probably do one more pass.

Also I don't own any but none of the Hyperdimension Neptunia games are on the PS TV store so I'm guessing none of those work.

Also not that anyone cares but a few games have English-only and French-only versions, and only the English ones are listed on the PSTV store.

I would pretty much assume at this point that anything not listed on the PSTV store doesn't work at all, and am pretty sure my list is essentially good but if you notice any discrepancies let me know.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

What about Metal Gear Solid?

:wtc: I swear, they released an update saying it would work with PSTV.
It doesn't work on my end either, even with the latest update out today.

Might be a Japan-only thing atm, but then again maybe it was just some confusion like a translation error from Japanese news or something. Are you sure the Japanese version works?

I'm going to test MGS to be sure (about to test Peace Walker PSP).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If anyone has any specific testing requests for something not on Sony's compatibility list, feel free and I'll indulge you if I can. Doing a game batch right now but it's probably the last one I'll do without specific requests.

Anyone confirm if SAO launches or not?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Why does the Cruchyroll app work but not Netflix or Youtube? :wtc:

Facebook app does not work
iFruit does not work :qq:
Touch my Katamari does not work
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z does not work

PS1 classic Metal Gear Solid works (transfer from PS3)

Oh crap bad news
Peace Walker PSP DOES NOT WORK
Final Fantasy III PSP DOES NOT WORK

No idea what's so special about these games, but fuckkk.

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PSP Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles also doesn't work :(

Every other PSP game I own is on the compatibility list.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

univbee, could you test out controller options for the PS1 games. I mentioned it before, but I am curious if it lets you remap buttons and assign the dpad to the analog stick like the Vita does. I loved that option on the Vita, as by default a lot of the pre-DualShock 1 games don't let you use the analog stick for movement on the PS3 for example. Also it handy for those weird games that didn't get the Confirm/Cancel buttons swapped on the English release.

It has options but I think maybe not as extensive as you're hoping for, I can "assign left stick" to the D-Pad, and can change "Switch mode" between analog and digital. This is just in Suikoden, though, do options depend on the game?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

I doubt they work, but has anyone tried something like Crash Bandicoot from the Whitelist goof?

Actually I was able to launch Crash Bandicoot: Warped. I think the PSP titles work via a whitelist (although why Valkyria Chronicles 2 got through I don't know) but the PS1 stuff is pretty much "it'll work as long as it's there".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics, but you can use a PS3 as a content manager for the Playstation TV over a LAN. So the steps would be:

- Download game to PS3 so it's in that install bubble mode
- Connect Playstation TV to the PS3 using the content manager
- Transfer games to the Playstation TV

In my case I'd transferred them to my regular Vita, backed them up to a PC using the content manager, then connected to that same PC using the Playstation TV and all my Vita goodies were there and transferrable, including the PS1 whitelist snafu games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Trip report: can't access Netflix via PS4 remote, but works just fine through the browser. Didn't try youtube but imagine it's the same. Maybe due to space issues, I dunno.

Most (all?) video services don't work while streaming because :siren: piracy vector :siren: or something dumb related to content licensing.

The fact that even Netflix wasn't ready for launch doesn't bode well. :smith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I went through every single title I owned, so this is pretty much as far as my testing can go right now.

FIFA 14 has English, French and Spanish editions (I believe the Spanish edition is US only and the French is Canada only). English and Spanish are listed by Sony as compatible but French isn't. Probably an oversight. Lego Batman also has a French-only edition and that's explicitly listed as compatible.

Of the other stuff, I tested every app, and every Vita game I had that wasn't on Sony's list.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland works (the other Atelier games are listed as compatible)
Crackle works

The following DO NOT WORK
Germinator
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Sine Mora
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD

I think the saddest thing is that I probably did more today for this console than Sony has in a long time. :cripes:

The last thing I'll note is the following oddity: the "what's new" page, for lack of a better term, seems to be permanently set to Japanese on my Vita TV despite binding it to a Canadian account, so that might be hardware-locked.

Updated my INcompatibility list and also reorganized it, so the Japan-only stuff is its own list as are apps. It's probably essentially complete right now. As always, any news, good or bad, let me know and I'll adjust accordingly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XboxPants posted:

That makes sense. It'd be cool if it caught on enough to keep getting supported for a while. I wonder if there's any chance it could gain any traction as a console for your kids - that seems to be how they're marketing it with the Lego bundle and releasing it on the same day Minecraft comes out, and a lot of the people I've seen talking about buying it have mentioned being interested in it for that reason.

Honestly the biggest problem with that is that you can get a ps3 for basically the same price, when you factor in the accessories. Maybe as a console that can take abuse, since it has no moving parts?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

Now that it's released and people have had a look at it is there any reason to get a US Playstation TV over an Asian Vita TV? Do they work exactly the same?

Case color, X/O assigned to Cancel/Confirm, and that homepage thing seem to be the only unchangeables, and it's otherwise exactly the same.

gibbed posted:

Germinator boots up for me without the incompatibility error, the US version at least. Still in the process of downloading virtually everything I own to the PSTV (the speeds are SO SLOW :().

Weird, I'll try it again, maybe there was a patch I missed. Also, use the content manager and never have to redownload anything again.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gibbed posted:

Germinator boots up for me without the incompatibility error, the US version at least. Still in the process of downloading virtually everything I own to the PSTV (the speeds are SO SLOW :().

I redownloaded it from the store and it worked this time (and it had a warning about incompatibility when I downloaded it too). I suspect they may have done a subtle replacement of the online SKU in a way where my old download doesn't register against it. So...maybe other games I dismissed as incompatible will work after all. :eng99:

I redownloaded those 3 incompatible PSP games to check but they are definitely not working (and I didn't get a compatibility warning on the store). Can anyone with a US unit try them too?

Worth noting is that patching PSP games through the Vita is possible, as one of my Japanese games (Time Travelers) did exactly this (a 4 meg patch downloaded through the Vita interface exactly like a Vita game patch), although I'm not sure what they fixed in that case since I'm pretty sure the base game worked on the Vita TV already.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 15, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Can anyone with other PSP "transfer-only from a PS3" games check if they can get them to work? Stuff like Gran Turismo PSP.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Grimace posted:

e: was that even a patch, or did the person just totally hack into the files?

I think it was a firmware hack, actually.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That is good news and just makes the whole "these specific 3 games don't work because gently caress you" even weirder.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for the various trip reports, you guys. I've updated the list again, and made another section for games which are unlisted but compatible, and I'm mainly using Sony's web compatibility list. Here's the list as it stands now, anything I'm missing?

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
Best of Board Games
Germinator (may require a complete re-download from the store, an transfer of an older installation might not work. Store will warn the game is incompatible but will work anyway)
Mutant Mudds Deluxe
Nidhogg
Pix the Cat
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
Soul Sacrifice Delta

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gibbed posted:

Edit: was able to get Final Fantasy V and Syphon Filter 2 to download, but the other two aren't working.

I'm pretty sure I transferred them all from my previous Vita install (transferred from PS3) but I haven't tried to launch them yet. I can test them when I get home today if no one else beats me to it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Orgarhythm got removed from the compatibility list, does anyone have it and can confirm/deny?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

Oh and mark Lumines as incomparability, not that I am surprised as it had a stupid touch screen to start prompt. Dunno why they bother putting in a "digital touchpad" option if they just going to whitelist any game that requires touch screen.

You can change options to interact with the touch screen to start a game. It's stupid, but it does work.

EDIT The hell? Are you sure you're patched? The English version was even compatible on the Vita TV at launch. Try re-downloading as well if you transferred it from an older Vita install.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Mine's fully updated and has never worked. Physical game.

Well I'm just baffled and will definitely try again when I get home.

I got it on Japanese PSN as a freebie but definitely had the US version on a card before, and it worked.

EDIT Well poo poo, just tried both the download and the card (patched) and denied on both counts. I checked my notes and it was definitely working before, so gently caress. :ohdear:

EDIT2 I found an incompatible Playstation Mini game: Age of Zombies (not on whitelist and blocked). Every other mini I tried (basically all the free ones) seem to work.

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

Got a quick question, if I want to remote play with a PS4 and I want to use a dual shock 4 does it recognize the control scheme for a DS4 or a vita? I ask because the controls for remote on a vita are usually modified to fit the game.

I tested this today and it seems to be 100% identical DS4 controls (at least it was with MGS:GZ)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't speak for PSTV specifically but I know the NA version of DXC works on Vita but not the EU version (or vice-versa, I forget which is which).

DXC NA works on a regular Vita but does not work on a Playstation TV, it is a game that is explicitly blacklisted. You can download and install it but it won't actually launch.

EDIT I switched my Vita TV back to my Japanese account. The Japanese release of Lumines is still playable, but the NA version has definitively been revoked with a recent firmware update, likely 3.30. I really hope this is a one-off and not a trend that will continue. :ohdear:

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 19, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got to test two more games, one working (Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, physical version worked immediately) and one not (the North American French version of FIFA 14, also physical version because lol I'm not paying $40 for that). This is pretty much everything I can think of, so if there's any discrepancies with my list be sure to let me know. Dracula X Chronicles is going on sale next week, apparently, let's hope they patch it to work by then.

And my North American unit finally shipped today. :toot:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

straight jerkers posted:

Sorry, is this region free for physical games? And is it possible to buy games from other regions' PSN stores by changing accounts or however it is that it typically works on the vita? The op made it sound like that wasn't possible but posts on this page seem to indicate otherwise.

Basically everything is the same as a regular Vita, except there's also a whitelist of compatible games and games not on it won't run. This listing is based on product SKU so you can get into situations like only the Japanese version of a game will work, or the Japanese and US versions will but the European one doesn't.

But to more precisely answer your question, as long as the physical card game is on the whitelist, it will run regardless of the region the game is (e.g. my successful Senran Kagura test was a US card tested on my Vita TV bound to a Japanese account).

Also you probably won't be able to sign in with a European account until around the 14th of November.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, the slot for physical cards is on the right side and for some reason has a rubber plug covering it like the thing needs to be waterproof or something. It's especially weird since the rear slot for the actual memory card has no such cover and you'd think should have something like that since, in theory, it would be switched way less often.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo, that thing on the side IS a memory card slot. How the hell do I get it open? It won't budge no matter what I do.

It should just pop out without too much trouble, like get a fingernail in there to pry it open.

EDIT drat your stealth edit :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Question though: Why have they been removing games from the compatibility list? Like, if Lumines works, why take it off? Why have any of them just flat out not work, and not just put a "this game has features that won't work without a touch screen so play at your own risk" messages up?

I'm pretty sure Lumines Electronic Symphony is the only game this has happened with, and the Japanese version of the game still works.

It actually took me a while to figure out how to get the game working because it's a game which only responds to a touch screen press at the beginning (and it's required for menus), and a less patient person would just immediately assume it's broken because you have to gain access to sort-of hidden configuration options to enable the touchscreen emulation if you're using a DS3. I'm guessing Sony made an executive decision of sorts to prevent support calls; hopefully this is the only game it happens with.

For other stuff, I think Sony avoids any and all situations where a game can potentially crash because games crashing is a huge exploit vector (as it tends to disable a lot of protection layers, or put you in a situation where you can "control" the crash in a way which grants you some sort of root access to the system), and pretty much every softmod out there for other systems like PSP, Wii, iPhone etc. relies on this concept in some capacity.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Anyone know anything about compatibility for Armored Core 3 Portable or any of the other PSP AC games? I can't find any mentions of whether or not it's compatible. It looks like they're another casualty of piracy, but some of those games are still compatible if you PS3 transfer, right?

loving pirates (and Sony), I'm finding more and more PSP games that I wish I could buy but nope, someone found an exploit so it had to be removed from the store. I really wanna play ZHP. :(

Unfortunately I don't own any of the Armored Core games to test. Anyone else?

I find it really weird that Valkyria Chronicles 2 works since it's not normally downloadable to a Vita, while a few games that are, are specifically blacklisted.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CrashCat posted:

That's real fun to navigate.

So is the download list which includes all your PS3 stuff (which the Vita can't download) because reasons.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So they updated that compatibility list to basically say they weren't going to maintain that list and just check the actual store, which now (did it before?) has a PSTV section on the webstore. I gave it a quick browse:

Monster Monpiece is listed as compatible, anyone with a copy willing to reveal their shame and test it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe it's getting patched? Although an incompatible bundle would be pretty hilarious.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

So Sony is releasing a new firmware for Japanese Vita TVs, and boy is it a big upgrade: It's changing all references of "PS Vita TV" and "PlayStation Vita TV" and making it just "PlayStation TV" and "PS TV".

Interesting. This is already the case if you set a Vita TV to English, all references to the console call it the PS TV in that case.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just received a physical copy of Freedom Wars in the mail, and it sports a "Playstation TV Compatible" icon on the back (the same group as the memory card requirements etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

They sure talk about that game a lot on Japanese sites, is it a really good game or something?

It's a hunting game a la Monster Hunter, and that genre just seems to be by far the most popular genre in Japan right now (as indicated by Monster Hunter 4G absolutely destroying Smash 3DS' sales).

• Locked thread