Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Garbo posted:

Ohhhhhhhh boyyyyy family stuff here we go!

-edit- Oh jesus family AND even worse than usual money stuff. This episode

Just got to this part. :laffo: at the fake stocks, what a goddamned shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

That whole fight seemed staged. You'd have to be incredibly, monumentally stupid to know there's a camera filming your words and actions, and then put out a cash bounty on another human being. And that footage sure as hell seemed way too crisp and HD (not to mention well framed) to be some sort of hidden camera.

Well really, that seems to go for most of the "hidden camera footage" on this show, because nobody believes he's really watching this stuff in real time from his circa-1990 Radio Shack TV screen in his car, right?

I'm sure large parts of this show are fabricated, but I doubt it's anything on the level of Mystery Diners or anything, which is just hilariously fake from top to bottom.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Glad Taffer walked out of that bar. I was thinking he would do a Marcus "The Profit" Lemonis thing and demand 51% control of the bar to keep the idiots from changing the name back, but even that seemed stupid and then I just kept wondering why he would help such lovely people.

He would be insane to ever want a stake in any of the places he helps on his show. Least of all that shithole.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hey guys, I didn't get a good look at the name of the tequila they used this episode. Anyone remember what it is?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

WickedHate posted:

"Honey, look. I found a nice friendly bar called O-Face! You know, like 'Oh, your face!'"

I still can't get over how brain dead you would have to be to think of saying something like that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vintimus Prime posted:

Yea neither do I. Randy mentioned he was getting overcharged for drinks by her, which would make more sense than the sweatshirt?

Yeah, that was really weird that they made such a big deal over a loving sweatshirt. You'd think that was the kind of thing they would just give to the employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was either a) just for the cameras because the owner had to find his balls and all, and she was back after filming, or b) one of those cases where she would've been given another chance if he weren't too much of a pussy to stand up for his employees.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CVagts posted:

Free drinks on Taggerfeet!

I think the Jimmy/Monique stuff was probably craftfully edited, but still effective.

I wonder how long he practiced that lame "tail between your legs" speech to get back at being shamed by Taffer, just to be utterly shamed again.

What exactly is he "rescuing" here anyway? The owner doesn't seem terribly concerned with his bar being a shithole and I don't remember them saying he was in debt or anything.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 21, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

Is there really any other kind of Mark Paul Gosselar show?

Non-"College Years" Saved by the Bell I guess?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Edit: Why is Catch a Contractor still on?

Spike TV is not exactly flush with non-garbage shows. And Carolla needs to convince himself that he's some kind of Lord of Construction every couple of years.

Coconut Indian posted:

I just checked if they were still open, and apparently they did go back to having hookah as well as being a dance club.

To the surprise of absolutely no one. I was more surprised that the ending text came around and they didn't mention the hookahs coming back.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 28, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

You'd have to be an idiot to believe that large parts of this or any other reality show are not scripted.

You didn't even post the best part though:

quote:

As a result of this attack, Dr. Wilkes suffers from emotional distress and things such as migraines, nausea, vomiting, night terrors, crying spells, severe depression, and anxiety attacks.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 29, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Holy poo poo. They're an official SXSW location and they only managed to rake in $5,500 while that went on?

Well, would you go there? I guess even the grossest punk rock types have their standards.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

smg77 posted:

Is this going to be the catch-all Taffer thread or is there another thread for the new show?

I have my doubts that anyone will care enough about the new show for it to warrant its own thread, otherwise I guess it can go to the Business Rescue one I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

OmegaBR posted:

Now I'm not saying those people don't exist, and it's entirely possible that was part of it, but it's merely an assumption, and I think it boils down to comfort in an establishment rather than staunch homophobia. Are your typical sports bar patrons in Texas going to want to see men stripping? No. But does that mean they hate homosexuals? No, not necessarily.

Let's be honest with ourselves here, if it's Texas then there's no reason both can't be true.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

OmegaBR posted:

Spike is running commercials for a "lost episode" this Sunday. Taffer himself makes it sound like this was some kind of pilot/pitch episode.

Could be the one from earlier this season that they didn't air because the bar's owner that week had recently become a murderer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

T Bowl posted:

Did the murder one ever make it to the net?

I don't think so, but they did accidentally show it as the rerun later on the night it was supposed to air.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

quote:

By the early 1990s, he owned or co-owned 17 different clubs, including Pulsations, outside Philadelphia, where he drew in customers by raffling off free breast implants. (The National Organization for Women picketed.) Other nights, a robot named Pulsar descended from the ceiling and danced lustily with the female customers. “That’s one of two times at a bar that I’ve ever cried,” Taffer told me on set one day. “It was so amazing.”
This sounds like a bar that would be on Bar Rescue.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's funny how Taffer treats the Butt Funnel as some kind of genius creation, because it seems so astoundingly loving stupid to me. I want to meet the people that hooked up because there was such a narrow area for traffic in a bar that they had to grind up against each other and really enjoyed it.

Also, "V Bar" is a terrible name with an even shittier logo. It looks like it's called bVr.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 2, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

According to Bar Rescue Updates, Taffer was a bit less than truthful about why the bar actually closed:

http://www.barrescueupdates.com/2014/06/bar-rescue-v-bar-south-park-bar-grill.html

quote:

On May 30th 2012, "Prosecutor Kenneth Strait Jr. brought up 12 charges against the bar, including buying alcohol from a prohibited source and illegal drug use on the premises. The drug use allegation, as reported by The Montclair Times, occurred in 2009 when police on an ABC (Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control) inspection found owner Jeffry Melnikoff smoking pot inside the bar. Other charges include incidents initially reported over two years ago, including five reported bar fights, several with underage patrons. With each charge, the bar could face a 30-day liquor license suspension." (Link)

On June 19th 2012, there was a city council meeting attended by about 50 neighbors of the bar who were objecting the renewal of the Park Sports Bar's liquor license. They contended that "blaring music from the bar and the profanity-laced shouting of its intoxicated patrons as they exit the place and hang around outside after closing has been disturbing their sleep for years." They also complained about "groups of anywhere from five to 30 "rowdy drunks" loitering outside the pub between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. on a regular basis." Despite the complaints, the liquor license was renewed with the only condition being that they had to hire a professional security guard outside the bar from 10pm to 2:30am.

In October of 2012, Jeff Melnikoff plead no contest to the 12 charges against him filed on May 30th. This resulted in a 30-day liquor license suspension - 5 days for excessive noise, 15 days for a brawl outside the bar in December 2010, and 10 days for serving too much alcohol to a patron (Link). He closed the bar for good after that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

Big Smo of "MT Bottles" fame is getting his own TV show on A&E.

Of course he is. Of course.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just noticed that these were up on my DVR so I'm watching the Most Disgusting one now. I'm gonna be disappointed if Headhunters is somehow not #1 disgusting.

edit: Fairways was pretty goddamned disgusting with the bubbling salsa and the walk-in mushrooms, but I'm still not sure it's as nasty as the Roach Kingdom of Headhunters.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 23, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I could totally believe that that guy was not paying his employees.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Only one other post for the new episode?

I think their redesign is easily the worst one of the series. Did they not consider that since it's no longer the prohibition era, that a place that is named like an auto garage and looks like an auto garage might be passed up because people think it's an auto garage? This right after a rerun of the hookah place where Taffer was going on and on about how the outside is so important.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zero One posted:

I thought the same thing.

I did love that drunk teen chasing the cameraman.

I had to rewind that to figure out what the gently caress was going on. Was she just chasing the cameraman because she expected him to call her a cab for some reason...?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

I tuned in just in time for the COPS camera style run down the road with some girl screaming "CALL ME A CAB"? What the hell happened to lead into that?

As far as what they showed us, absolutely nothing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CHiRAL posted:

I have only watched the piratez episode so far (just wow) but I gotta ask.. why isn't this in the OP? :haw:

That was a terrible rebranding, but I once went there before Bar Rescue existed and if that place still exists I sure as poo poo don't know how.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wow, I wonder what it's like being such a spineless coward that you just let some dudes come into your place and do whatever the gently caress they want.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

"I want to have my own little studio apartment." Way to dream big there, guy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I wish they would rename it to "Cancelled." Adam Carolla is terrible in any situation where he is not a foil for Dr. Drew.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

They already crossed over with Bar Rescue, it was terrible and pointless.

It wasn't so much a crossover as Adam Carolla showing up for no real reason and making terrible jokes to promote his own terrible show. I don't recall him ding anything actually related to his show though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Taffer sure thinks he's clever for coming up with that "El Moron-te" crack.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

limp_cheese posted:

Does Taffer just not give a poo poo about his recon anymore? He was just laughing with his experts about how someone will get sick eating that while they eat it. I've seen him loving storm places and knock it out of their hands for worse.

It's all pretty blatantly an act either way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

Piratz isn't real right? They made this up for the show? It's all fake like wrestling and American Idol?

Nope, that place is absolutely real and every bit as lovely as they made it out to be.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

These reviews posted on Bar Rescue Updates sound fake as gently caress.

quote:

"Great intimate place to hear awesome live music. Staff is very friendly and Lonnie gets the whole audience involved. I highly recommend it."
"House band, Lonie walker and her bad rear end company band, was one of the most amazing bands I'd seen. Got the crowd participating. Drinks were a bit more expensive than what i'm used to, but i'm not used to downtown Chicago prices. All the bar staff were pretty freindly. If I lived in Chicago I would be in this bar every Friday."
"Had live music which was excellent but I can't remember the name of the band. Bartender was cool and always had a pint of Guinness ready for me. Thanks!"
"Nice chill place. Loved the music and the crayons they give you for coloring! But had to leave cuz the music was wayyyy too loud"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Murphy Brownback posted:

But the main thing that gets to me is how abnormal every bar in the show is compared to bars I've actually been to. Even in the sports bars, everyone on the show is always ordering named cocktails (or if it's beer, it's guiness and you know they are going to bring in the Irish guy to tell them how to do the ~perfect pour~). Most bars I've been to, unless they specifically describe themselves as a "cocktail bar", everyone is drinking beer or liquor+soda.

I always think the same thing, like who is going to give an actual poo poo about your crappy bar's "signature drink"? Of course the actual answer is "nobody of course, the producers tell people to order that poo poo for the cameras and they only even make them for the liquor product placement and to give the Bartending Expert of the Week some TV time."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The real surprise here is that shithole still being around this long.

Boy is that a badly written article. So many awful pirate puns.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 29, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Holyshoot posted:

Shows like this one and kitchen nightmares makes me so glad I worked at a good restaurant. One that had been around for 20 years with the same owner and made everything fresh and cleaned the place every night and had a pos system. Common loving sense all these dip shits fail to realize and then wonder why their business sucks dick.

I have to wonder how many of these places are really as awful as they look anymore, since this show has fallen into the Kitchen Nightmares US trap of every episode being exactly the goddamn same and basically being a springboard for whatever bartender nobodies / Art Institutes graduate chefs Spike TV wants to promote this week with different mediocre window dressing.

Binary Logic posted:

Or...have a show that features well-run establishments and show what they're doing right. Reward them with flight to distillery/brewery to learn more about products. Give them new and improved signage / POS systems, new furniture, etc. Prizes for great staff who are competent and well-liked by customers.

Would that be so bad?!

Nobody watches reality / "reality" shows to see people doing well. And the ones that are, probably don't need to be educated by a TV host, seeing as they're doing well and all.

Hotel Impossible did do a spinoff miniseries though where he went around to different hotels to show off unique things they did and then gave like a whopping $500 or something to the person he considered the most helpful / hardworking or whatever.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 5, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I love how Taffer is feigning outrage at the rejection of his total poo poo rebranding. The redesign they did on the inside was nice though, and those jackasses turned it all back lovely looking.

I feel bad for their daughter though, she's been pulled into their failures.

CVagts posted:

FOOD BLOGGERS.

Man don't mess with them or they'll use their social media presence to run you out of town.

I don't think there has been a sentence that makes me want to punch someone in the face more than "I can't wait to get home and blog about this."

FrozenVent posted:

Looks like the owner is kind of realizing she squandered an opportunity, and what Taffer to come back.

So that's going to be the season finale.

She didn't want Taffer, she wanted Jon Bar Rescue.
Also, doubt that they went back since he clearly hated that place and it's dead and buried as of yesterday.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 6, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I guess you can eulogize it as a sideshow rest home, but as someone who used to live near Silver Spring, that place loving sucked as anything else, man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, if you find yourself building your life and identity around a bar, then you are either an alcoholic or something worse than an alcoholic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm really hoping the Underground Wonder Bar/Clear Bar is actually working out now, because Taffer got way too giddy about telling the owner her dream was dumb and a money sink and she'd have to give up on it. It was totally true, but just done in an overly mean way.

She deserved it though really, she spent more time acting like a loving five year old and coloring on placemats than trying to take care of her failing business.

• Locked thread