Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Having previously recruited for Emerald Magistrates in the Empire of the Emerald Stars setting I feel the urge to also do an Imperial Legion game in said setting. Here is a quick rundown by my colleague Ettin on the setting:

Ettin posted:

If you don't have it, here's the basic deal: The year is 3122, and thanks to a shugenja ritual that enables FTL travel the Empire has taken to the stars in sword-shaped ships. Things are more or less the same now, only people have discovered "radiant energy" and made samurai swords covered in the stuff, radiant rifles and armour and other cool things. Also, most other planets have been touched by one or more Spirit Realms, which affects the terrain and native life. Other than that IH2 gives the setting a pretty light treatment, so we'll be making a lot of this up as we go along, but the basics should be the same.

Fluff

Unlike Ettin's game this is a more conventional (as much as you can be in Rokugan In Space) game where you are Imperial Legionnaires. Since you're much more likely to be using Great Clans now I will give a run-down that may or may not be partly or mostly stolen from Ettin's write-up (as I have said before):

Clans posted:

• Crab: The Shadowlands are pretty much cleaned up, so these days the Crab establish mining and construction operations, explore strange new worlds, and beat the stuffing out of the most hostile worlds for the Empire.
• Crane: The Crane still produce art and entertainment, that just includes things like galaxy-wide broadcasts of pop idols. They also like to snag really nice-looking worlds and build resorts on them.
• Dragon: The Dragon investigate the weirdest planets, guards a few worlds given to them by the Emperor for reasons unknown to anyone else, and study weird space phenomena. There's a nebula on the eastern edge of the Empire that prevents further space travel which they're super interested in.
• Lion: Still focused on the military, just now they have massive space fleets. They have enough problems with pirates and alien creatures that they don't have time to be as aggressive towards the other Clans as they used to be.
• Mantis: The Mantis are the second largest clan with the most controlled systems now, thanks to a really aggressive exploration push. They practice piracy and pretend they don't. Everyone thinks they are bullies.
• Phoenix: They study and sanctify new planets and research space technology.
• Scorpion: They generate a lot of money through backing crime operations. Rumour is they have Ninja-class cruisers with cloaking technology, but that's just a rumour (they totally have Ninja-class cruisers).
• Spider: They are mostly scary and distant in space. More specifically they tend to be called in to pacify and (depending on how tainted or otherwise skeevy the world is) claim worlds connected inexorably to Jigoku and similar places that no sane samurai would dare want to live or own. A bit like how it used to be but they are fairly more independent now. Presumably if there was ever a galactic war with extraterrestrials then they would probably be called in as shock troops.
• Unicorn: They love exploring! Most of them have moved off Rokugan to other planets, they and the Phoenix are the only ones who try communication with aliens first, and they helped relocate the gaijin nations of Rokugan to a system where they can be monitored and kept out of harm's way. Most have ditched horses in favour of bikes, cars, spacecraft or sweet alien mounts.

As Imperial Legionnaires the range of your activities is vast (depending on which legion you're in), especially due to all this newfangled space travel business. This game in particular will start in the relatively desolate Galactic South, with the specific places you go or see largely dependent on where your fleet goes, which is either the matter a decision being made within the fleet - or Nazo (the current Emerald Champion) deciding to do some hands on managing. Now the Galactic South in particular:

Imperial Histories 2 posted:

The systems beyond the Empire’s ‘southern’ border are both widely scattered and largely dead and valueless. Few have any sort of sustainable atmosphere, and other than some meagre mineral resources, nothing of any significant value has been discovered along the ‘southern’ border in almost a century. Exploration in this region has slowed almost to a halt, as none of the clans wish to expend resources that could better be spent seeking holdings of value on the ‘northern’ border instead. This point has been driven home rather forcefully of late due to the disappearance and destruction of numerous small expeditionary forces in the southern regions. No one is sure as of yet exactly what is taking place there.

Additionally the greatest number of systems the Crab control are along the 'southern' border, but either way this is either going to be a boring tenure or way that is the beginning of interesting times.

New Mechanics

This might get tweaked later if it turns out something is wonky (or similar in Ettin's game), this is how things will start.

Ettin posted:

First, Techniques. IH2 pretty much tells you to wing it, so we will. Most Techniques will also cover basic ranged weapons now, so go ahead and add sidearms or rifles with the Samurai keyword (see below) to them as appropriate. People are still way into the honour of melee combat and swords in general, though, and there'll be a lot of room for it. If you're unsure how to do it we can talk and I'll consult my panel of experts.

New skills:

Computer Use (Research, Programming, Hacking): High Skill. Anyone can use a computer, this is just the skill for having highly technical knowledge. Considered a Low Skill when using the Hacking emphasis. Awareness.
Driving (Wheeled, Tracked, Air-Cushion): Merchant Skill. The ability to operate ground-based vehicles. Usually Intelligence, maybe Reflexes when avoiding sudden threats.
Engineering: Not a new skill but you can take emphases for SPACE TECHNOLOGY now. Maybe more things.
Firearms (Sidearm, Rifle): Bugei Skill. Shootin' dudes. Reflexes. Add Perception to the damage in unkept dice, like you would for Strength with melee weapons.
Kyujutsu: Nobody cares about bows any more except some traditionalists, so substitute Firearms if you want.
Piloting (Fixed-Wing, Helicopter, Spacecraft, Ship Combat, Docking): Merchant Skill. I actually merged the suggested aircraft/spacecraft skills together because I really doubt the difference will matter much. Intelligence.

Some weapon stats from IH2. Remember that firing on a spaceship might be a bad idea!

Standard Sidearm [Samurai, Small]: Pistols! DR 3k3, Range 100'.
Standard Rifle [Samurai, Medium]: Your basic samurai energy rifle. DR 4k4, Range 500'.
Heavy Assault Rifle [Large]: Nice friendly weapons, like the Kaiu Forge Devastator-class Siege Weapon. These don't have the Samurai keyword so they'll be a lot rarer. DR 6k5, Range 400', you need Strength 4 to wield one.
Marksman's Rifle [Large]: Sniper rifles, such as the Tsuruchi's Distant Thunder model rifle. Again, no Samurai keyword so they're a lot rarer. DR 6k3, Range 1000'.

Character Creation!

Although this has less of a focus on Minor Clans than Ettin's game, you can feel free to apply with one should you wish. If that is the case he has some write-ups about them here.

Other than that, you start with 70 XP (as in your base 40 + 30.)

I'll be running the recruit for a week or so? No set time limit, I'll probably close it once I think we have enough. Good luck and have fun!

(For reference I'll defer to Ettin on a few things that he wrote up already, some might be appropriate - others less so)
Useful Posts (in Ettin's thread and my previous recruit)
Aliens
Firefly (nerds)
Guns
Tiger Clan
Crow Clan
Aliens (Hanajin)
Pilot/Driving + Military Vehicles
Computer Use Mastery Abilities
'Shotguns'
Piloting Mastery Abilities

:siren:House Rules:siren:

Bushi characters can enter a kata free at the beginning of each combat.
Languages reworked a little (more of a ~space~ effect than a house rule I'd use in a non-Space Rokugan game):
- Language (1) can be used to take several gaijin languages.
- Language (1) can be used to take one relatively understandable alien language.
- Language (3) can be used to take one more extremely alien language.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Definitely on this, now that I am free (for the moment) from the bizarre magic that is Laplace's equation.

Edit: I was thinking of a Tsuruchi Archer Sniper; I presume that using the Marksman's Rifle is fine? And what mastery abilities might there be for Computer Use?

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 9, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

NGDBSS posted:

Definitely on this, now that I am free (for the moment) from the bizarre magic that is Laplace's equation.

Edit: I was thinking of a Tsuruchi Archer Sniper; I presume that using the Marksman's Rifle is fine? And what mastery abilities might there be for Computer Use?

Yeah the Marksman's Rifle is fine. Computer Use mastery abilities? Well let me think.

quote:

Rank 3: A second attempt to use the Research or Hacking emphases may be made without an increase in the original TN.

Rank 5: The character gains a +5 to the total of any Contested Roll made using Computer Use.

Rank 7: A third attempt to use the Research or Hacking emphases may be made even if the second attempt fails.

That's my thoughts so far. Do you think that is acceptable?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Looks fine, I'll have the app within a day or two.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Ooh! I have time to get in on one of these Emerald Stars games!

What would the time commitment be? I can't be glued to a computer all the time, but I'm interested in giving it a go (assuming my character gets picked.)

Thinking an Utaku battle-maiden driver... I'll see what I can put together.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
How appropriate would a Courtier be for this game? I'm thinking an Asako Loremaster Scientist who actually quite likes various aliens and is willing to talk to them. (Maybe some connection with the Spirit Realms stuff too.)

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

ScottyBomb posted:

Ooh! I have time to get in on one of these Emerald Stars games!

What would the time commitment be? I can't be glued to a computer all the time, but I'm interested in giving it a go (assuming my character gets picked.)

Thinking an Utaku battle-maiden driver... I'll see what I can put together.

Time commitment is probably normal for a PbP, as much as you're soldiers I'm not going to be drilling you on your posting regularity as long as it's reasonable.

Krysmphoenix posted:

How appropriate would a Courtier be for this game? I'm thinking an Asako Loremaster Scientist who actually quite likes various aliens and is willing to talk to them. (Maybe some connection with the Spirit Realms stuff too.)

Well a courtier would probably be fine if it would work inside a military existence. Do note that even in the far far future, many armies (the imperial legions included, if only for bureaucratic purposes) have a courtier or political adjutant advising the general on matters. But either way since you're more likely to see action personally if there is a courtier involved they're less likely to be a more conventional courtier (I mean a Doji would likely be horrified of such a role).

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm picturing the character as a field scientist and probably taking enough Firearms and Defense to, you know, not die. I'll make it work out neatly. Sheet incoming when I can get some time to work on it tonight.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
This is my first character submission - hopefully it looks right.

I took a few minor liberties to fit the science fiction setting - Horsemanship is replaced with Driving, and I'd assume her technique would apply to a vehicle she's driving just as much as a horse she's riding. I gave her the Gunnery specialty with Firearms which would account for vehicle mounted weapons. And I gave her a hoverbike instead of an Utaku Warhorse.

I'm open to changing any of this as requested, though.

Oh, I'm totally open to being told what alien race she's full of vengeance for, too. I was purposefully vague, there.

I'm cool if I don't get picked, I'll be creeping on all the Emerald Stars games to steal ideas for a home game I want to run no matter what. But finger crossed!

Utaku Xiaomei

Xiaomei has never known the concept of home. Born into a Unicorn expeditionary fleet, she has always been on the move. From ship to ship, planet to planet - always on the way to a new destination and a new experience. From a young age, she was trained in the "traditional" ways of an Utaku woman - how to drive, and to fight from the seat of her vehicle. She largely kept to herself, and never really had interest in the finer arts or found time for many hobbies outside of tinkering with vehicles. In spite of this, it stings to this day that people clearly consider her... well, uninteresting.

Still, her laser focus on her skills allowed her to pass her gempukku with ease, and Xiaomei quickly demonstrated her combat skill during an inter-clan skirmish between the Lion and her Unicorn fleet over exploration rights on a new world. The battle ultimately ended thanks to the diplomatic efforts of the Ide, Ikoma and a neutral Otomo mediator - and the Lion and Unicorn agreed to a joint effort.

As a sign of good faith, the Unicorn and Lion mixed their forces, with Xiaomei's unit assigned to the command of a Lion chui named Akodo Tetsumata. Far from the stuffy and stubborn stereotype she would have expected, Tetsumata was outgoing and open to the opinions and suggestions of his Unicorn allies. Moreover, he made an effort to get to know her personally - never once showing disdain for her unusual name, or a disinterest in her due to her lack of culture. It was something the Battle Maiden was unused to, and Xiaomei found herself smitten.

Over the following weeks, she took every opportunity to step up and prove herself to her commander - and very quickly a strong bond formed between them. It wasn't romance - it was more than that. Built on loyalty and respect. Xiaomei would have followed Tetsumata anywhere.

Then the xeno fleet showed up. There was no warning as the alien force arrived and began a vicious assault on the combined Clan forces, both in orbit and on the surface. They refused to answer any hails, and offered no mercy. Within hours, Xiaomei's unit was entrenched and under heavy fire. The order came to fall back... and only a third of Tetsumata's force made it to the evac site.

Akodo Tetsumata wasn't among them, slain while holding the line to the last possible second. Xiaomei killed the alien who'd impaled him - and had to be physically pulled away from the battlefield by two of her battle sisters.

She spent weeks in deep depression aboard the Unicorn flagship as the fleet limped back to a safe harbor. Her few friends were concerned for her - but she didn't open up. When the ship arrived at port she quietly volunteered for service in the Imperial Legion. Serving on the frontier means both an escape from her depression, and an opportunity to fight aliens.

Xiaomei dearly hopes one day she sees the filthy xenos who killed her beloved Tetsumata take the field against her again.

So she can make them pay.

pre:
Name: Utaku Xiaomei     	Rank: 1
Clan: Unicorn			Experience: 70/70
School: Utaku Battle Maiden  Insight: 134
Earth: 2	Air:  2		Honor:   6.5
 Sta:  3	 Ref: 3		Glory:   1
 Wil:  2	 Awa: 2		Infamy: 0
Water: 2	Fire: 3		Status:  1
 Str:  2	 Agi: 3		Taint:   0
 Per:  3	 Int: 3
	Void: 2
			Wounds
Initiative: 4k3		Healthy  (+ 0): 10
Armor: Riding           Nicked   (+ 3):  4
TN: 19/27		Grazed   (+ 5):  4
Reduction: 4		Hurt     (+10):  4
			Injured  (+15):  4
			Crippled (+20):  4
			Down     (+40):  4
			Out           :  2

Skill				Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Roll
Athletics			2	STR			4k2
*Battle	 	  	        1	PER			4k3
*Defense			2	REF			5k3
*Driving			3	INT	Motorbike	6k3
Engineering: Vehicle	        2	INT			5k2
Etiquette			1	AWA			3k2
*Firearms			3	PER	Gunnery	        6k3
Jiujutsu			1	AGI			4k3
*Kenjutsu			3	AGI			6k3
Piloting			2	INT			5k3
*Sincerity			2	AWA			4k2	
Yarijutsu			2	AGI			5k3

Mastery
Driving (3): The character may utilize the Full Attack Stance while mounted.
Firearms (3): Gain +1k0 to all damage rolls made when firing a gun.
Kenjutsu (3): The total of all damage rolls made with a sword is increased by 1k0.

Advantage			Points
Heart of Vengeance (Aliens)	5	

Disadvantage			Points
Gaijin Name			2
Obtuse				4
Lost Love (Akodo Tetsumata)	3

Techniques
Riding in Harmony
The Utaku Battle Maidens value honor above all. You gain a bonus equal to your Honor 
Rank to one attack per Round. While mounted, you may instead choose to apply to bonus 
to one damage roll if you choose. You gain a bonus equal to your Honor Rank to the 
total of all Horsemanship/Driving rolls.

Weapon		Attack	Damage	Notes
Unarmed		4k3		2k1	
Katana		6k3		4k2		Medium, Samurai
Wakizashi	6k3		3k2		Medium, Samurai, Throw
Sidearm		6k3		4k3		Range 100'

Equipment
Riding Armour, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Sidearm, Traveling Pack, Hoverbike, 10 koku

ScottyBomb fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 10, 2014

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Just noticed Saith's submission of Kazuno Riza in the Magistrates thread who didn't get picked up for the game. They're not identical, but similar enough that I could come up with a different concept if Saith wants to resubmit Riza for this game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gonna resubmit my entry with a few changes

Daidoji Ken'o

The ancestors of Daidoji Ken’o have served in the Iron Crane Air & Space Corp since the first fix-winged airplanes (commonly called Kites by Rokugani) flew above the meadows near Kosaten Shiro. They include both daring test pilots and decorated aces. It’s no surprise, then, that he feels a great deal of pressure to live up to that legacy.

The oldest of 3 siblings, Ken’o quickly showed an apt for Kite-Piloting, earning him the opportunity to learn under the top sensei. The added attention fueled his self-confidence, which in turn made him stand out even more-so in the dojo. Lofty expectations followed his gempukku, and Ken’o was determined to deliver.

While Ken’o won many honors, his wing commanders quickly realized that he was quite the maverick, prone to showboating and always looking for ways to prove that he was the best at what he did (or at least deserved to be). After a couple of reassignments his superiors hoped would shake off his recklessness (they didn’t), matters came to a head when Ken'o single-handedly foiled the assassination of Tsume Nobiyaku, a powerful Crane daimyo who's death would have destabilized the Crane's outer settlements.

The combination of a grateful daimyo and an exasperated shireikan led to the decision to give Ken’o a reward that would make him someone else's problem. To that end the daimyo pulled the usual strings to assign Ken'o to the Imperial Legions. Ken’o accepted the appointment without hesitation, and he can't wait for the chance to fly in one of the Imperial model kites.

Meanwhile in parts unknown, the mastermind of the foiled assassination has the newly minted legionnaire at the top of his/her/it’s shitlist.

EDIT: I'd actually like to give my character a shotgun-type weapon. Can we work out rules for how those work?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 16, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: I'd actually like to give my character a shotgun-type weapon. Can we work out rules for how those work?

Oh sorry! I saw this edit earlier but I totally phased out for a day. Let me think.

quote:

Scatter Rifle
Favoured by Imperial Explorers and other groups who are likely to encounter lifeforms (whether alien or demonic) that might prove physically imposing. Models tend to either involve magnetically-accelerated flechette rounds or radiant scattering-prisms. A popular scatter rifle among the crab is the tough and reliable Kaiu Forge Kamaitachi model, the only downside being the sheer mess it makes.
Keywords: Medium
DR: 4k4
Range: 250'
Special: At half range or less, the Scatter Rifle's attacks ignore half of Reduction due to natural toughness.

Still a work in progress but that is what I have so far.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Toku Ohkawa

Ohkawa was born and raised in the City of the Smiling Tortoise on the World of Dreams. Her tall, naturally athletic frame got her sent to bushi school, and her keen mind and deductive talents got her a job as a magistrate not long after her gempukku. Since then, her life has been a series of lucky breaks and crushing misfortune.

She wasn't a bad magistrate. She was drat good, actually, with an impressive string of arrests and convictions. The problem was the World of Dreams is Scorpion territory, and she had a habit of arresting Scorpion samurai who would send their buddies after her. Nothing hurt her easily, and people would joke that she must have a Fortune's blood in her. Her assistants sure didn't, though, and she'd keep getting into situations that left them injured or worse. Her foes started spreading rumours, and Ohkawa decided to ask for a transfer to get away from them.

She did a lot of transferring after that. It was always the same - she'd hit a lucky streak, then she'd run into something terrible would happen or she'd make a dangerous enemy and she'd have to move on. She kept trying, though. Justice is a calling, not a hobby.

Things changed the day she helped rescue a group of Dragon samurai from their own damaged ship. She pulled it off, but unluckily she was sucked out of a damaged hull into space for her trouble. The Dragon rescued her, and she spent a few weeks healing under their care. They told her an average person would have died by the time they picked her up. Ohkawa mostly just remembered regretting her life choices.

Based on some slightly enigmatic advice from the Dragon, Ohkawa has accepted an appointment to the Imperial Legion for a change of pace. She's still unsure what she's cut out to be, and she's been hitting up geisha houses on the sly for a shoulder to cry on, but she's starting to feel better. Maybe with people as tough as her around she'll find her passion for justice again!

pre:
Toku Ohkawa
Toku Bushi 1

Insight 147	Honor 5.0		Status 1		Glory 1		Exp 68/70

Earth	3	Stamina		3	Willpower	3
Air	2	Reflexes	2	Awareness	2
Water	2	Strength	2	Perception	2
Fire	3	Agility		3	Intelligence	3
Void	2

Techniques/Masteries
Toku's Lesson -  Add +1k0 to all Skill Rolls with a TN of 25+ (including attack rolls), all Wound Penalties reduced
by Willpower+double School Rank (5)
Firearms Mastery - +1k0 to all damage rolls made when firing a gun
Investigation Mastery - Can make a second attempt at Search without TN increase
Kenjutsu Mastery - +1k0 to all damage rolls made with a sword

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Rolls
Artisan (Origami)	2	Awa			4k2
*Athletics		1	Str			3k2
Courtier		1	Awa			3k2
Defense			2	Ref			4k2
*Etiquette		1	Awa			3k2
*Firearms		3	Ref			5k2
*Hunting		1	Per			3k2
Iaijutsu		2	Ref			4k2
*Kenjutsu		3	Agi			6k3
*Investigation		3	Per	Search		5k2
*Lore (History)		1	Int			4k3
Lore (Law)		3	Int			6k3
*Sincerity		2	Awa			4k2

Advantages			Disadvantages
Blood of Osano-Wo		Lechery
Lucky				Unlucky
Sage				Unknown Enemy
Strength of the Earth	

Outfit: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Sidearm, Traveling Pack, 3 koku

Ettin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 13, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Daidoji Yachi

Inheriting the good looks of a Doji grandfather, Yachi is a cheerful man who frequently smiles and always seems to find a reason to be in a good mood. He enjoys telling others how much he has embraced and loves the Crane philosophy of finding beauty in life - with the caveat that this beauty seems to often be in the form of pretty women, a habit which has honed his iaijutsu skills to best defend himself from the results of gossip. Yachi is equally a fan of sake, and while this has not lead to the duals his enjoyment of ladies has, it has resulted in a few awkward or painful mornings. All and all, he is a man who seems to vividly enjoy life, despite his placement in the Legion. Just keep him away from lakes and oceans; a near-death incident in his youth has marked him deeply, and he remains troubled by a fear of drowning.

There is, of course, a dark side to Yachi. He was not merely trained as a Daidoji scout; his sensei was of that most secretive and forbidden school, the Harriers. Existing throughout Rokugan's history, the Harriers have a long tradition of being found, disbanded, the leaders committing seppuku, and then being reformed again a few generations later. Yachi has learned of some of the more dishonorable ways to conduct combat - his skill with explosives sit as a testament to this - and knows how fragile his life could become if the existence of the Harriers is once again made public. For now, he applies the more open skills of the scout in servitude to the Empire, knowing in his heart that they time may indeed come when his less honorable training becomes needed.

pre:
Daidoji Yachi
Daidoji Scout 1

Insight 140	Honor 3.5		Status 1		Glory 1		Exp 70/70

Earth	3	Stamina		3	Willpower	3
Air	2	Reflexes	3	Awareness	2
Water	2	Strength	2	Perception	3
Fire	3	Agility		3	Intelligence	3
Void	2

Techniques/Masteries
Surveying the Land -  Rural traps do +1k1 damage, +1k0 to stealth and hunting
Firearms Mastery - +1k0 to all damage rolls made when firing a gun
Stealth Mastery - Simple Move actions in stealth allow Waterx5 feet distance
Iaijutsu Mastery - Draw sword as a free action

Artisan (Poetry)	1	Awa			3k2
*Athletics		1	Str			3k2
Courtier		1	Awa			3k3
*Craft (Explosives)	1	Int			4k3
Etiquette		1	Awa			3k3
*Firearms		3	Ref	Marksman	6k3
*Hunting		1	Per	Traps		5k3
Iaijutsu		3	Ref	Focus		6k3/5k2
Investigation		1	Per	Notice		4k3
*Kenjutsu		1	Agi			4k3
*Knives			1	Agi			4k3
Sincerity		1	Awa			3k3
Spears			1	Agi			4k3
*Stealth			3	Agi	Sneaking	7k3

Benten's Blessing		Lechery
Wary				Dark Secret (Harrier)
				Compulsion (Sake)
				Phobia 2 (Large bodies of water)

Outfit: Ashigaru Armor, Rugged Clothing, Daisho, Marksman's Rifle, Knife, Yari, Trap Making Gear, 
Camouflage Face Paint, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 17, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Going to ponder on this over the weekend. :raise:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Edited my character a bit to better fit the backstory.

EDIT: Wait, we get 70 points! How did I not notice that?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Should we worry about the Battle rules? Battle schools? Battle... uh... fools?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

(WIP)

Tsuruchi Irawati

pre:
Tsuruchi Irawati
Tsuruchi Archer Sniper 2

Insight 154	Honor 3.5	Status 3*	Glory 1		Exp 70/70
*Imperial Legionnaire.

Earth   2	Stamina		2	Willpower	2
Air     3	Reflexes	3	Awareness	3
Water   3	Strength	3	Perception	3
Fire    2	Agility		2	Intelligence	2
Void    3
Total Spent: 42

Techniques/Masteries
Always Be Ready: +1k0 to bow firearm attack rolls, +3 to Initiative.
The Arrow Knows the Way: +1 Free Raise to ranged Called Shots, +2k0 to bow firearm damage rolls.
Computer Use Mastery 3: Can make a second attempt at Research/Hacking without increasing TN.
Etiquette Mastery 3: +3 to Insight.
Teppuodo Mastery 3: +1k0 to firearm damage rolls.

Skills:		Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Rolls
*Athletics      1	Str			4k3
*Computer Use   3	Awa			6k3
Courtier        2	Awa			5k3
Craft (Guns*)   1	Varies			4k3/3k2
*Defense        1	Ref			4k3
Etiquette       3	Awa			6k3
*Hunting        1	Per			4k3
*Investigation  2	Per			5k3
Jiujutsu        1	Agi			3k2
Meditation      1	Voi			4k3
Sincerity       1	Awa			4k3
**Teppoudo      4	Ref	Rifle		7k3
Total Spent: 27
*It's shorter that way!

Daredevil			Compulsion (sake) [TN 20]
Sage				Gaijin Name
Wary				Overconfident
Total: 9			Total: 8
Total Spent: 1

Combat
TN-to-be-hit:		25
Initiative:		5k3
Attack:			3k2 (unarmed) or 8k3 (rifle)
Damage:			3k1 (unarmed) or 12k3->10k4 (Rifle)
Reduction:		3

Outfit: Sturdy Clothing, Light Armor, Wakizashi, Distant Thunder Rifle, Travelling Pack, 10 koku

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Should we worry about the Battle rules? Battle schools? Battle... uh... fools?

Well your group are going to be (at least initially) ostensibly a scouting party, so I mean if you end up facing the Battle rules soon then either something has gone very wrong or very right.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Attilla posted:

Yeah the Marksman's Rifle is fine. Computer Use mastery abilities? Well let me think.

That's my thoughts so far. Do you think that is acceptable?

While you're at it, what about mastery abilities for piloting?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

While you're at it, what about mastery abilities for piloting?

Hmm. Let me try this:

quote:

Rank 3: Moderate 'Terrain' no longer impedes your craft's movement, and movement through Difficult 'Terrain' reduces your craft's 'Water Ring'-equivalent by 1 instead of 2.

Rank 5: The character gains a bonus of +5 to the total of any Piloting Skill Roll made as a part of a Cooperative or Cumulative Skill Roll.

Rank 7: Your craft that you are piloting no longer suffers movement penalties regardless of 'terrain'.

Any thoughts?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Attilla posted:

Hmm. Let me try this:

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing "Terrain" can also mean atmospheric conditions or weird spatial anomalies.

Seems reasonable enough.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Dang it has been a while since I started this recruit and it is starting to become uncomfortably long. I would have closed this a while ago but I've been hoping for more applications.

I'm not sure what to do next, only four complete applications is a bit disappointing. I'm hoping that there will be more in the last minute but this is becoming increasingly unlikely.

I guess I may as well ask if anyone else is planning on applying and intends to do so relatively soon, then I will have decide on what to do next. It's not the end of the world having a small party, just I was expecting more is all.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I had my sheet statted up, I can whip up a background from the notes I had in my head.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Attilla posted:

Dang it has been a while since I started this recruit and it is starting to become uncomfortably long. I would have closed this a while ago but I've been hoping for more applications.

I'm not sure what to do next, only four complete applications is a bit disappointing. I'm hoping that there will be more in the last minute but this is becoming increasingly unlikely.

I guess I may as well ask if anyone else is planning on applying and intends to do so relatively soon, then I will have decide on what to do next. It's not the end of the world having a small party, just I was expecting more is all.
I will be dropping out. Making characters is a thing I enjoy but putting in the long-term effort on a PbP is something I've tended to flake on in the past. I'd had this idea of a rather hard-living character but never got around (:effort:) to fleshing it out much. Hopefully the game goes for a while, since L5R + space opera fits that perfect goofy mix for me and I would love to see the results that everyone else can make. (I would love to play it IRL but the resident grognard seems to have...issues with certain kinds of storytelling.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Shiba Akane

Akane was born to the daughter of one of the Phoenix diplomats to the Hanajin, on one of their worlds. The more suspicious Isawa say that she was too strongly influenced by the aliens, and their planet which was too imbalanced in connections to the other spirit realms. She herself just finds it all very fascinating.

For all the Phoenix claim to know about the hundreds of planets that circle the Emerald Stars, they don't really know very much about why certain planets are so strongly connected to certain realms when others are not. Akane has always been aware of her own personal connection to the spirit realms, and devoted a great deal of her time immediately after Gempukku exploring various other alien worlds to try to find the root of reason these worlds were connected to the spirit realms. All of those worlds were often heavily protected by one Great Clan or another. The only thing Akane did figure out was just how incredibly vast the spirit realms were. (And to say that the spirit realms have their own solar systems? Nonsense! Don't listen to that Agasha, he's just making stuff up.)

Akane joined the Imperial Legionnaires to offer her own experiences interacting with the various alien races and other human gaijin. An interpreter that knows two languages can stop a skirmish. An interpreter that knows many, and the cultures behind them can stop a war. An interpreter that can cross between the infinite connections between worlds in the stars can save an empire. Or at least that's what she put on her resume. In reality, all she wants is to set down on those alien planets and find the patterns to how the realms are able to cross over seemingly at random.

pre:
Shiba Akane
Asako Loremaster Scientist 1

Insight 146	Honor 6.5		Status 1.0		Glory 1.0		Exp 70/70

Earth	2	Stamina		2	Willpower	2
Air	3	Reflexes	3	Awareness	3
Water	2	Strength	2	Perception	3
Fire	2	Agility		2	Intelligence	3
Void	2

Techniques/Masteries
Rank 1: Temple of the Soul - Free Raise on all Lore Skill rolls. 
			   - Gain +3k1 instead when using a Void Point for Etiquette.
Courtier Mastery - +3 Insight
Etiquette Mastery - +3 Insight

Computer Use		1	Awa			4k3
*Courtier		3	Awa			6k3
Defense			2	Ref			5k3
*Etiquette		3	Awa	Courtesy	6k3
Firearms		2	Ref			5k2
Games (Go)		1	Int			4k3
Investigation		2	Per			5k3
Medicine		3	Int			6k3
Meditation		1	Voi			3k2
Science (Alien???)	2	Int			5k3
*Science (Hanajin)	2	Int			5k3
*Science (History)	3	Int			6k3
*Science (Theology)	2	Int	Fortunes	5k3
*Sincerity		2	Awa			5k3
Tea Ceremony		2	Voi			4k2

Languages (Many Gaijin)		Can't Lie
Languages (Alien)		Consumed: Knowledge
Languages (Weird Alien)		Touch of the Void
Medium
Sage
Precise Memory	

Outfit: Sensible Clothing, Sidearm, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

I may actually have to withdraw my application anyway - which I feel really guilty about because of how few submission HAVE been sent in. My time is a bit more limited than I thought it would be, and I don't want to leave everyone in a lurch by going a day or two at a time without posting. :(

I'm totally going to lurk all over this thing, though. And liberally steal ideas for future Emerald Stars table-top sessions.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

ScottyBomb posted:

I may actually have to withdraw my application anyway - which I feel really guilty about because of how few submission HAVE been sent in. My time is a bit more limited than I thought it would be, and I don't want to leave everyone in a lurch by going a day or two at a time without posting. :(

I'm totally going to lurk all over this thing, though. And liberally steal ideas for future Emerald Stars table-top sessions.

Aww, I was hoping to have so many shenanigans with your character.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Krysmphoenix posted:

Aww, I was hoping to have so many shenanigans with your character.

Well... okay, you've twisted my rubber arm. Let me see if I can sort out my time management. Consider my withdrawal withdrawn.

This assuming I even get into the game, of course. Or that it even gets off the ground!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'll put in an app today, if you'll have me.

ETA: Or tomorrow! It's getting pretty late and I had a busy day.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Going to try and get a shugenja in by Wednesday if that's not too late.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Just to FYI, I'm still interested if this ever gets off the ground.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Moshi Narukami, Descendant of the Thunder Dragon

Moshi Narukami was raised amongst the monks of Osano-Wo in a monastery millennia old. She was told her family died on the frontier; she never believed it, really, but she's never learned the truth. As she came of age, she studied matters of the kami and Shintao, of fist and foot, and of duty and honor. Much of her time was spent with the monk Kokurai, who impressed upon her the history of the Mantis, teaching her what she would need to know when she studied with the rest of her family.

As she grew older, she traveled to the Amaterasu Seido, an ancient dojo of the Moshi, where she studied the ways of air and thunder in the manner of her family. Though she showed exceptional skill, she was often passed over for lessons with the more elite teachers. This pushed her ever harder to master her lessons, in the vain hope she would pass from the ranks of ordinary shugenja... as ordinary as shugenja ever are, anyway. In truth, the sensei did not wish her to stand out, or indeed, call attention to her on account of her heritage.

One did take note of her talent, however - Tsuruchi Teki, when seeking a young shugenja to serve aboard his bounty hunter ship, the Hidden Blade. Given that her other choice was a return monastery, she took the chance, despite the official protestations of Kokurai. The whole thing infuriated her, as she had respected the monks, but felt there would be no means to serve her clan from a monastery. She had a youthful wanderlust, and Teki had enough influence to defy the monks of Osano-Wo, who had lost much of their political power during the great reach to the stars.

However, Narukami found disquiet on the Hidden Blade. Though she delighted in stopping off at ports and seeing dozens of worlds, the ship often targeted vessels she found of questionable duplicity. Teki assured her of their crimes, but it took only months for her to discover that though the Hidden Blade did hunt bounty, it also preyed on innocent merchant vessels. Though suspicions swam in her mind for some time, it took some time for her gather evidence. When they stopped on Fortune's Blessing and she managed to slip away from her "watchers", she made her way to the nearest Emerald Magistrate's office. Laying down her evidence she proclaimed her suspicions before the Magistrate Doji Musai.

By the time the Emerald Magistrates acted, though, Teki had become aware of Narukami's actions. There was nothing questionable for the magistrates to find, though Doji Musai uncovered enough indirect evidence to believe Narukami. And so all he could do is inconvenience Teki for a time to try and uncover more, before his clan connections would pull him free. The Emerald Magistrates did not want to stir the Mantis without a definitive case, but Musai recognized that returning Narukami directly to the Mantis would likely result in retribution. A couple letters later, and she had an invitation to the Imperial Legion, one the Mantis would have to have potent reasons to contest. They did not. Of course, Teki would also return to his own "work".

Narukami has served with the Legionnaires ever since, her talents serving her well as a battle shugenja, despite being a bit "old country" to most other Legionnaires. A traditionalist, she doesn't rely much on technology... though she doesn't impugn it, either. Instead, she relies more on her spells and jiujitsu, but what little action she's seen largely makes her thankful for it largely being quiet.

So far.

pre:
Moshi Narukami

Family: Moshi	Clan: Mantis		School: Moshi Shugenja
Honor: 4.5	Glory: 1.0		Status: 1.0

Initiative: 5k3		Armor TN: 15 (base 15)

Air 3	Awareness 3
	Reflexes 3 (12 xp)
Earth 2	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2
Fire 3	Agility 3 (12 xp)
	Intelligence 3
Water 2	Perception 2
	Strength 2
Void 3 (18 xp)

Void Points: 3

School Skills		Rank	Trait		Emphasis	Roll	CP

Battle			1	Perception	-		3k2	-
Calligraphy		1	Intelligence	Cipher		4k3	-
Defense			3	Reflexes	-		6k3	5
Lore: Theology		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-
Meditation		2	Void		-		5k3	2
Spellcraft		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-

Other Skills

Athletics		1	Agility		-		4k3	1
Computer Use		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Etiquette		1	Awareness	-		4k3	1
Intimidation		1	Awareness	-		4k3	1
Investigation		1	Perception	-		3k2	1
Jiujutsu		1	Agility		-		4k3	1
Lore: Elements		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Lore: Mantis		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Piloting		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Sincerity		1	Awareness	-		4k3	1

Advantages			Benefit

Chosen by the Oracles (6xp)	Thunder; +1k1 to Air ring rolls.
Friend of the Brotherhood (5xp)	Can learn Kiho at discounted cost.
Touched by the Realm (4xp)	Tengoku; +2k0 to resist Shadowlands Taint.

Disadvantages			Drawback

Can't Lie  (2 xp)		Willpower TN20 to tell a lie or allow a lie.
Idealistic (2 xp)		Honor losses are increased by 1.
Sworn Enemy (6 xp)		Tsuruchi Teki (rank 5, Tsuruchi Bounty Hunter / Kobune Captain)

Techniques

Favor of the Suns: During the day, gain an Affinity for Fire spells. Gain a free raise on all 
Thunder spells.

Spells				Element	Roll	Mastery Level	Notes

Air Kami's Blessing		Air	6k3	3	-
Blessed Wind			Air	6k3	1
Call Upon the Wind		Air	6k3	2	-
Fire Kami's Blessing		Fire	5k3	1	+1k0 during the day.
Fist of Osano-Wo		Fire	5k3	1	+1k0 in daytime, free raise.
Fury of Osano-Wo		Fire	5k3	3	+1k0 in daytime, free raise, memorized.
Path to Inner Peace		Water	3k2	1	-
Tempest of Air			Air	6k3	1	Free raise, memorized.
Tradition's Hammer		Fire	5k3	2	+1k0 in daytime, free raise.

Kiho				Element	Type	Mastery Level

Fire Fist "Finger of Osano-Wo"	Fire	Atemi	3

Weapons			Attack	Damage	Keywords	Special

Jiujitsu		4k3	2k1	-		-

Items: Robes, Radiant Knife, Radiant Wakazashi (left at home), Scroll Satchel, 10 koku

Traveling Pack: Fan, Flute, Kamiunicator, Lampstick, LED Talisman of Osano-Wo, Silk Rope,
Spare Kimono and Sandals, "The Annotated Shintao", Water Bottle

quote:

New Spell: Tradition's Hammer
  • Ring/Mastery: Fire 2 (Thunder)
  • Range: 50'
  • Area of Effect: One target
  • Duration: 5 rounds
  • Raises: Duration (+1 Round), Target (+1 target per two Raises)
This is a prayer to the Fortune of Thunder, using the well-known tendency of lightning to disrupt radiant technology. This spell targets a personal-sized technological item, like a computer, energy weapon, communications device, and so on, and prevents it from functioning for the duration with a powerful surge of energy. This can also target vehicles with a duration of one round instead of five, with one raise for a small vehicle like a personal transport, two raises for something with two or four seats, and larger vehicles by GM judgement. This cannot target devices that do not use electronics (like radiant melee weapons or radiant armor) or awakened items (like nemuranai or self-aware AIs).

Narukami's Secret

Long ago, at the end of the Age of Man, the Dragon of Thunder was cast from Tengoku to live in Ningen-Do. There, she came to live with the Mantis for a time, giving the Moshi the blessing of thunder so well. Though they aren't well known outside the clan, there are tales that she had a child, but most such stories are considered wishful thinking. After all, they would give the Mantis a direct divine ancestor.

The truth has been long-buried, largely thanks to the efforts of Kolat agents millennia ago. Moshi Shanegon was a Kolat agent with enough contacts inside the Mantis to discover the truth. Though his attempt to use the knowledge to win his lost position as a master back from the Kolat would fall short, the Kolat were left with the knowledge to use. The Kolat had championed the Mantis due to their "mortal" nature, but the appearance of a Dragon in their ranks presented a quandary of a new divine mandate. Ultimately, the Kolat knew from their experiences with Togashi and Shinjo that direct confrontation was impossible, and so instead of destroying the Dragon, they sought to destroy her legacy.

She did indeed have children with an unknown father, though many of her descendants were assassinated over the years. Though the influence of the Kolat waned, the damage was done. Monks dedicated to the dragon sought to protect those with the Blood of Thunder, often secreting them away in monasteries and small villages. Exactly how many survive is unknown, as the Order of Osano-Wo keeps that knowledge quite close. Though her death millennia ago was so glorious the other dragons could no longer deny her her place, she left a permanent mark on the Mantis.

The difficulty in the monks' task is great, as there is a simple fact that her descendants are driven to heroics and great deeds, and keeping them hidden away forever is in defiance of the dragon's wishes. And so they watch, knowing that her legacy is likely to fall in battle... or worse, it could be her ancient enemies still work to unravel the last threads of her time in Ningen-Do after all. It would seem unlikely after millennia, but Rokugan has always been filled with unlikely things.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 3, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ichiro Oshuda

Some people think that when we left Rokugan behind, we had escaped the Shadowlands and the taint of Jigoku. But there's a darkness out there. A presence, something evil, something insidious. Maybe we brought it with us. But it's more likely it was there all along, waiting to reach out and grab us. Oshuda knows this, because he's seen it. He's a mercenary. . .no surprise there. Space is a big and dangerous place, and people need protection from their enemies, and that's something the Badger are good at. The clan doesn't have much of a reputation for subtlety, but once they get started in a direction, you're not going to stop them from trampling everything underfoot. This makes them much in demand. Point them at the enemy, and it's a dead enemy.

So, this means that Oshuda has fought in more engagements than he can count (although, to be fair, he can't count that high). Most were routine. They don't bother him. But there was one campaign. . .it was in the Southern Reaches, of course. This sort of stuff always happens in the South. The area beyond the Southern border had never really been that well explored. It wasn't deliberate, really. Nobody said "Let's not explore down there." It was just understood. But it still happened. The Moto sent a picket ship down there...standard scouting expedition, paid for by Crab money, not that the Unicorn ever needed much incentive to explore. Sure enough, they found a new planet, not too far from the border, either, that looked colonizable. Oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, liquid water, even edible plant life. Decent mix of minerals, atomics, and fossil fuels on the planet too. Not the richest planet in the world, but one that, once it was developed, could be reasonably profitable.

The Crab colonized the place. Not really a surprise. And for a few years, everything went according to plan. They set up a prefab base, started developing farming and manufacturing systems, and did planetary surveys. Everything normal. Until five years in, when there was a distress call, something about an attack, and then silence. The Crab investigated. More precisely, they sent in Oshuda's team to investigate. 20 of them went down there. Five came back.

Oshuda still won't talk about that day. If you ask him about it, his lips tighten and he looks away. Whatever he saw down there, whatever he did down there, only the five of them know. and you'll need a medium to ask three of them. Oshuda and Ichiro Tonoji are the only ones left. "Accidents", people say. And maybe the three of them did have accidents. Or maybe they had seen too much.

Oshuda's mercenary company is no more. But he's been picked up by the Legion. After all, he's a "hero". That's what they say, at least. A big drat hero.

pre:
Name: Ichiro Oshuda     	Rank: 1
Clan: Badger			Experience: 0
School: Ichiro Bushi     	Insight: 143
Earth: 2	Air:  2		Honor:   3
 Sta:  2	 Ref: 2		Glory:   0
 Wil:  2	 Awa: 2		 Infamy: 0
Water: 4	Fire: 2		Status:  1
 Str:  4	 Agi: 2		Taint:   0
 Per:  4	 Int: 2
	Void: 2
			Wounds
Initiative: 3k2		Healthy  (+ 0): 10
Armor: Heavy            Nicked   (+ 0):  4
 TN: 25			Grazed   (+ 2):  4
 Reduction: 5		Hurt     (+ 7):  4
			Injured  (+12):  4
			Crippled (+17):  4
			Down     (+36):  4
			Out           :  4

Skill			Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Roll
Commerce                1	Int			3k2
Jiujitsu                3	Agi			5k2
Heavy Weapons		3	Agi			5k2
Kenjitsu                3	Agi	Katana		5k2
Teppoudo 		3	Int			5k2
Defense                 3       Ref                     5k2
Athletics               2       Str                     6k4
Artisan (Sculpture)     2       Awa                     4k2
Lore (Spirit Realms)    1	Int			3k2
Lore (War)              1       Int                     3k2
Battle                  1       Per                     5k4

Advantage	Points	Disadvantage		Points
Large   	4	Antisocial              2
Hands of Stone  6	Dark Secret             4
Strength of             Disbeliever             3
the Earth       2
Ally            2
(Ichiro Tonoji  Inf. 1, Dev 2)  

Techniques
Transcend the Mountain
	You may reroll any skill or trait roll that uses Strength, but
        you must keep the second roll.  You suffer no movement or combat
        penalties for moderate terrain, and only half the penalty for difficult
        terrain

Kata

Strength in Arms

Weapon		Attack	Damage	Notes
Unarmed         5k2	4k2	
Katana		5k2	7k2	Medium, Samurai, Void
Wakizashi	5k2	6k2	Medium, Samurai, Throw
Tetsubo         5k2     8k3     Large

Equipment
Heavy Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Tetsubo, Heavy Assault Riflem3 koku, Travelling Pack (Blanket, Set of Dice,
 Bottle of Sochu, Pillow Book, Lucky Ring, Perfume, Small Statue of Bishamon, Flashlight, Tea Set, Weeks Rations

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 9, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Okay last call before pickings now! Any last minute submissions should come out and say it now, if they'd please.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Okay! The exhaustive selection process is over. It was a tough time choosing but the Imperial Legionnaires that (for one reason or another) have been tapped for this mission are as follows:

Utaku Xiaomei, Utaku Battle Maiden (ScottyBomb)
Daidoji Ken'o, Daidoji Iron Warrior (SirPhoebos)
Toku Ohkawa, Toku Bushi (Ettin)
Daidoji Yachi, Daidoji Scout (ProfessorCirno)
Shiba Akane, Asako Loremaster Scientist (Krysmphoenix)
Moshi Narukami, Moshi Shugenja (Alien Rope Burn)
Ichiro Oshuda, Ichiro Bushi (Epicurius)

(That is, all of you got in. Congratulations!)

You are all currently serving amidst the Eighteenth Legion, aboard the Paneki, a Wakizashi-class battlecruiser named after Bayushi Paneki, a former commander of the Eighteen Legion aeons ago. The fleet of the Eighteenth Legion largely patrols about or near the 'southern' border and adjacent systems to an extent. The Paneki in particular is the 'southernmost' of the Wakizashi-class battlecruisers in the fleet in standard formation.

Consequently in the mean time before I post the thread proper I'd like to ask each of you the following:
• Prior to the mission that is about to be assigned to you what were your duties on the Paneki?
• Do you know each other before this mission will bring you together?

(By the way ScottyBomb does or does not Utaku Xiaomei have Strength of the Earth because it looks like her wound penalties have been calculated by it though I don't see the Advantage on her sheet. Unless there's some other effect causing that that I didn't notice of course.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Attilla posted:

(By the way ScottyBomb does or does not Utaku Xiaomei have Strength of the Earth because it looks like her wound penalties have been calculated by it though I don't see the Advantage on her sheet. Unless there's some other effect causing that that I didn't notice of course.

Whoops! No, she doesn't. I'll fix that - I snagged another character's sheet to use as a template and forgot to fix that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Daidoji Ken'o
Current Duties: Advance Recon Wing. These are Imperial model Baraunghar Kites that survey a system before the Paneki arrives. Ken'o also acts as a flight leader in Space Superiority Missions whenever the Paneki enters a combat zone.
Known Teammates: Ken'o has a passing familiarity with Yachi. He has also gone on missions where Narukami has served as his Kite's shugenja.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 13, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Shiba Akane
Current Duties: Translator, identifies unknown gaijin objects. Not really someone with any specific purpose but there to speak up when her expertise is of use. Mostly spends her free time analyzing strange influences of the spirit realms in fancy simulations.

Moshi Narukami, wanna be friends? You're the only Shugenja here. Even if you are Mantis just kidding, Moshi are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Moshi Narukami
  • Current Duties: Shugenja. Though times has changed, the role of a shugenja hasn't so much, and she sees to the spiritual needs of the crew, ceremony, blessings, and numerous secondary duties where a shugenja's expertise is deemed necessary. Being roundly competent is her gift; it is her curse.
  • Known Teammates: Naturally, she's been tapped as Ken'o's copilot. With the blessings of the Kami, she's one of the few that can keep up with his talent, though only barely. As somebody with limited experience beyond the Empire's birthplace, she's been profoundly interested in Akane's exotic discoveries, though politely so. She's likely to have a common bond with Ohkawa with both having more justice than sense, though neither of them would put it that way.

Some other mechanical notes:
  • Need to work out how the Moshi technique functions... in space.
  • If Taint is voluntary, the Tengoku advantage needs to be adjusted. Maybe make it a bonus against all jealous realms? Or something else?
  • Her enemy is probably just rank 4 rather than rank 5, but that depends as to whether or not sworn enemies "rank up" with you as you gain school ranks.
  • I may want to adjust Chosen by the Oracles to another element - it's hard working out which rings apply to what rolls, after all, and I have to dig through the rules to find out which ones actually apply in what situations.

• Locked thread