Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Did selection & price get better or worse in Washington after the removal of state controls on liquor sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

statim posted:

Went hiking past there with friend a few months ago and it looked like someone had taken a bunch of bricks and random steel bits to reinforce that thing. On plus side that new max line should be opening soon and rather wishing was still living over in Sellwood but as I hear now that NoPo's filling up there really isn't much housing stock left thats not depressing 70s+ despair and especially not west of 205 going for less then professional money.

Didn't they move the Sellwood bridge like 50 feet to make room for the new bridge? If there's one thing that improves a decrepit structure, it's uprooting it from its foundations and dragging it (ever so slowly, granted) off to one side.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The-Mole posted:

The local Waldorf elementary school here in Eugene has a 70% non-vaccination rate.

Of course, the average Eugeneian also believes in faeries, spirits, dmt-elves, and magic.

It's not just the hippies, I think Oregon has a larger than normal contingent of faith healing types. I know they keep getting dragged to court after their kids keep dying of easily preventable stuff.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wasn't 2013 the first year in quite some time that the PPD managed to make it through without killing some unarmed minority? Maybe things are changing, but they do a pretty good job of quashing any oversight or review of their actions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Vancouver Washington is also where a lot of Portland conservative flee to. That way, they can have the job opportunities of a big-ish city, no income tax as a Washington resident and hop across the river to buy stuff without sales taxes in Oregon. Also a lot of failed business owners who go there for more favorable capital gains taxes when they liquidate. They also had a huge problem with people in SW Washington registering their cars in Oregon because it was much cheaper for a while. Washington ended up lowering their registration fees. Portland's right wing radio celebrity, Lars Larson, moved to Vancouver after trying to avoid property taxes in Portland by living on a houseboat.

In general, it is a hub for the gently caress-you-got-mine types. And not surprisingly, they vote for gently caress-you-got-mine policies and politicians.

Explains why our mayor lives there, I guess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey Portlanders! Don't forget to pay the art tax, lest our opera-goes be seated on off-brand velvet pillows, and use inferior opera glasses in this season's shows.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Honestly, it's worse than a flat tax, it's very nearly a head tax (but not quite, because of reasons). A dish washer and a doctor are going to pay the same amount, not just the same rate. If it's the kind of thing that should be funded (art for the kiddies) it should be done through property taxes or general revenue.

But the way it's being administered is just... Grossly inefficient and somewhat unfair.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So, I guess we get to keep our water supply or something? Never really did figure out what the point of that ballot measure was.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Still, having it done by the courts isn't the worst thing, since it means that it will be beyond the whim of the voters. Well, more so than doing it by initiative.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FRINGE posted:

So how do you get on that gravy train?

Endorse the mayor, it looks like. For $98k, I'd hand over a report of my preconceived notions on development and a copy of my stump speech. Heck, i'd do it for half that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I don't know if it makes it down to Portland, but I love pretty much everything Fremont Brewing Company up in Seattle puts out. Their Interurban IPA is fan-freaking-tastic--great flavor without too much hop bitterness. The darker stuff they do like Abominable Ale (and the special bourbon barrel version in the winter) is great too. I'm yet to have a beer of theirs that I don't enjoy.

Also I know it's a pretty big brewery now but Pyramid has a new beer out they call an IPL, India Pale Lager. It's great too and has the flavor of an IPA without the punch in the face bitterness. Really good beer I could drink all day.

I don't think we get any Seattle beers down here except Pyramid, which is mostly used as a street cleaner or to pour coal cars to keep the coal dust down. Given that Portland has a ton of breweries and microbreweries that can produce far more superior product than any Seattle swill, I don't know why you'd suggest that, except as an attempt to haze a fellow goon. Plenty of good places to buy beer at the level, unfortunately I can't think of any off the top of my head except Belmont Station. Which is conveniently located near me as well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xrunner posted:

It's not just environmental. Semis tear up the roads in ways suburbans don't. Seriously, semis are heavy enough to gently caress up the road bed in ways regular passenger vehicles, even big ones, can't. I mean, I'm sympathetic to your points, although I don't see enough suburbans to really think of it as an issue.

Edit: also, on a completely different topic, who thought this sign was a good idea? I get what it means, but there has to be a better way to get that across. I mean, the tracks aren't a hazard if you cross perpendicularly. It's when you're riding parallel that you get thrown. The one wheeled bike doesn't really get that across. Anyway, are these new? I've never noticed them before.

Speaking as someone who's gone head over handlebars by crossing the streetcar tracks, they're fine. A good reminder of the danger lurking beneath your wheels. The point of the sign is to convey meaning, not to be an accurate photo of what might happen.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If they could genetically engineer blackberries to have no thorns, I would let them win and take over my yard. Monsanto, if you're listening, get cracking. Bonus if they can tell me when they're ready to pick.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Accretionist posted:

London's the god damned metropole. A fair loss, Portland. No shame in this one.

I would find Portland boring if I lived on a cult compound in Beaverton.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DBlanK posted:

So, even assuming thats correct, we are restricting federal employees past and present from participating as delegates.

So you're excluding vets? That's some good PR right there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Didn't Portland remove a waterfront highway and turn it into a park, without its downtown turning into a desolate wasteland? That seems more applicable to Seattle's project.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Idran posted:

There is no history of state-run conventions. One amendment was ratified by the states, but there has never once been a convention called by the states. If you don't even know that much basic history of the Constitutional amendment process, why should we trust your judgment on the matter at all?

I think you just can't accept that the thing you want to do might be literally illegal. And there's no way of knowing in advance whether it is or not.

Technically, the first Constitutional Convention was called by the states. And it swept away the old Articles and replaced them with the current Constitution.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

Something I should know, but don't:
How many of Oregon's transit systems are municipal services, as opposed to special districts?

Salem-Keizer Transit and Lane Transit appear to be independent districts.

Those two and Tri-met have special taxing districts, i believe.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Why would anyone in Portland or Seattle want to go to Eugene?

There's some sort of sports team there that is very popular? People like to go down there for games? Also, having high speed rail to and from larger cities seems like it would open up a lot of commuting options.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

Are people still getting arrested for growing and selling? I imagine that they aren't going to go after people selling eighths (if they ever did), but if the black market is really biting into the legal, tax-generating business, they might end up doing large scale investigations and busts of black market growers.

I wonder what the punishment would be, though. Now that it is a matter of revenue rather than "drugs", will illicit growers just end up getting the same punishment as any other business that is cheating on taxes?

The DEA can bust them for growing regardless of their state status, but if they pay their federal taxes the IRS will probably leave them alone. As long as they don't try and deduct their expenses for growing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Idran posted:

Edit2: Oh wait, expenses from growing or manufacturing controlled substances are specifically excluded by recent tax code changes, which is probably what you meant there.

Yeah, the statute is from the 80s, drug expenses are specifically non-deductible. So your international jewel thief can deduct the cost of his burglary tools, travel to Antwerp, 50% of his meals and entertainment expenses while seducing the Countess d'Aubergene, and so forth, but the humble grow-op or meth lab is prevented from doing deducting any expenses. We had a brief discussion in the tax thread about whether it was just expenses directly related to drugs, or any expenses by a drug operation; I'm not certain if the IRS has issued a ruling on the subject so I guess the matter is not resolved yet. Could be a test case in the works if the IRS ever gets funding to audit a grow-op.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The WWeek (or maybe the Mercury, I forget) had a pretty good article on segregation in Portland. Like, explicit segregation, not the soft "let's all agree not to sell to blacks" of the Midwest.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

When/how did Portland get its modern reputation, anyway?

I think it was a result of an aggressive marketing campaign about 10 years or so designed to entice wealthy young people to come retire to Portland.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

smg77 posted:

Is all this drama with Kitzhaber's girlfriend a real story or is The Oregonian just going full :foxnews:?

Remind me again what's happening? His girlfriend's contracting firm received state contracts or something? This isn't like when they ran up a $1.5 million bill investigating a $60,000 contract? (And then had to pay damages on top of that? Ah, Kroger, your tenure was short but expensive).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

Pretty sure that company is not publicly traded or he'd be out on his rear end. I imagine they will see a nice uptick in business from local merchants though. Buy your grass fed quinoa burger and pay for it with an ethical credit card transaction.

Everyone knows grass fed quinoa is bland and tasteless. Real quinoa is fed on blood and bonemeal.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
What was wrong with Trojan? Had a co-worker that used to work there. Not sure I believe his interpretation of why it was shut down.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The impression I have is that the contractor basically did a slipshod job of construction and the plant had a lot of problems with steam leaks, but I don't have any concrete sources. Actually, if anyone knows of any good books on Trojan, I'd love to read them.

Curious to hear what your co-worker had to say, though.

Basically his theory was that PGE didn't want to take the risk of having it get shut down by ballot measure after sinking so much into fixing it, so they just shut it down instead. And laid him off. Then he lost all his pension money to Enron. He was not happy about having to work with a bunch of whippersnappers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

twodot posted:

I'm disputing what exists within reason here. Attending a fund raiser isn't a reason to inconvenience anyone. I get this happens with some frequency, but that doesn't make it good.

What about critical mass? Antiwar protests? Prowar protests? Timbers games? Train jumpers? Just part of modern life. And not riding a bike.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Well no poo poo, it's fuckin Kelso.

E: for all you California transplants, Kelso is the Fresno of Washington.

I thought that was Wenatchee. Kelso is more like the Stockton of Washington.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hasters posted:

Yeah, our winter was incredibly dry and warm and now we're looking at a record number of staffed wildfires, something like 28 last time I checked.

Least we're not trying to save water yet, so the fountains are still running. Might camp out in one all weekend. Went to visit my in laws though, and Lake Rooseveldt was shockingly low.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Rent is pretty cheap out in Wenatchee. That's not too bad a commute to get to Seattle.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I thought the main danger was due to our lovely unreinforced masonry and the fact that we (unlike California) haven't bothered to retrofit a lot of bridges, apartments, schools, office buildings, that sort of thing. Throw in the fact that our largest hospital is a supervillain's lair atop a mountain, with only a few twisty roads and a sky-bus to provide access, and we're looking at a lot of casualties just due to poo poo falling down. Only the poor bastards on the coast are worried about a tsunami.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Magres posted:

What

Do tell

Ok, I exaggerate for dramatic effect. The monkey labs are actully in Beaverton, away from the normals. And I don't think they're creating genetic abominations in the tunnels beneath the hill. Anymore. But it's a pain to get there in the best of times, I reckon a major earthquake would make it really difficult for them to render any aid or take in any patients. More so than the other major hospitals in town.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, cool, my workplace is blue. I assume that's good? When the big one hits, maybe I'll just move in there. It will be a secure base from which I can rule the wastelands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Well just so long as the houses they get aren't too nice. Like maybe pre-bedbug them or something? I'm just spitballing here.

Give them only the cheapest dial-up internet and put them in neighborhoods with only mediocre brunch options. That cruelty will dissuade all but the most truly desperate.

• Locked thread