Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Is anyone else finding that random public people absolutely suck at this game? It seems like half the people who summon me can't even keep their goddamn shields up. I'm wondering if a bunch of people bought Dark Souls 2 didn't play the first two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

verybad posted:

So hey, how stupid of an idea was it to start out as Deprived in this? Because I totally did! Game is hard.

Any general leveling tips? So far I've just leveled up to 9 strenght so I can one-hand whatever crappy sword it is that I found, and then I went for 9 adaptibility since that's supposedly a kind of important stat or something?

The way I usually power level is assist with bosses over and over again. Assisting with the first boss will net you like 5,000 souls per try.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I'm gonna stop summoning phantoms until I've tried a boss a few times. Makes them way too easy! I've pretty much just steamrolled the last few, I think they'd be scary if I was by myself.

I feel like I am getting extremely poor luck when I summon people. Yesterday at the Lost Sinner the guy I summoned just stood outside the fog door while I proceeded to kill the boss. Another time, I was fighting the Ruin Sentinels and my two phantoms died before the first sentinel came close to dying. I'd say it's about 60% of the time that I summon people/get summoned by completely worthless/unskilled players.

ADP might just be my favorite thing in the whole world.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Ruin Sentinels are honestly pretty easy. You can't stunlock them in co-op but as long as you have a shield and save some stamina it's trivial. Once you kill the first, just push a phantom off or drop down yourself, distract one of them after the second jumps up, and wait.

Yeah they are pretty much a joke. The only you can get really get killed by them is if you're using estus and one of them does that jump attack from across the room. Now THAT was a surprise.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

inthesto posted:

Try to pick up sunbros. On average, they're better at co-op since that's the entire point of the covenant.

On my alternate sunbro character, I summoned up a pair of sunbros for a boss and it was over in a matter of seconds.

I was really happy when I ran into a sunbro outside the Skeleton Lords fight. Is it pretty easy to join them?

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Two questions:

I'm bad at the game, what's a good covenant early on?

Is there a bonfire in no mans wharf closer to the ship? I don't want to fight all the mobs cause I'm bad at the game, everytime I want to atempt the boss.

There is no bonfire close to the ship. There is a shortcut you can unlock that will let go up the first set of stairs through a gate that will get you to the boss pretty quickly.

If you're having a ton of trouble, you can kill the enemies until they stop respawing.

You can light a lantern in the center of the map at the cost of a Pharos's stone. It gets rid of those irritating black monkey things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Well I managed to join the Heirs of the Sun, and my time being summoned was for Mytha and the dude didn't light the goddamn windmill on fire. So I decide to try again and again and again and each time I'm summoned I'm sent to this awful room of toxic sludge where I die in less than a minute. Is there any way to survive in there without first draining the pool of poison?

After acquiring the Black Knight Halberd I am starting to love this game even more than the original. The backstab animation on it is so metal.

• Locked thread